Customer Discussions > Photography forum

Tamron AF 17-50mm F/2.8 XR Di-II LD SP Aspherical (IF) Zoom Lens

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-11 of 11 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Feb 15, 2013 7:42:35 AM PST
Can anyone who has this lens please give me your opinion of it? Were you happy with the image quality? How fast and accurate was the auto focus? Any quality issues?

I ask becuase I'm considering purchasing one for a general purpose low light lens. I have alot of 1.8 primes (35, 50, 85), and I love them all. But i'd love to have a one lens solution for events where I don't want to swap lenses alot. The focal length is perfect for my needs. My main concern is image quality, auto focus accuracy and speed, and any quality issues anyone may have had with this lens. I'm especially interested in your feedback on the lens' performance at f2.8 (wide open). I've read tons of reviews about it, and all were very favorable. I just want to get a few users input before I pull the trigger. Many thanks in advance for your help!

Posted on Feb 15, 2013 7:43:33 AM PST
oh here is the product link
Tamron SP AF 17-50mm F/2.8 XR Di-II LD SP Aspherical (IF) Zoom Lens with Built In Motor for Nikon Digital SLR
it would be paired with a nikon d7000

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 15, 2013 9:00:33 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Feb 15, 2013 9:14:32 AM PST
® says:
I never tried the 17-50mm (DX, aps-c, non full frame, etc.) because I planned on moving to full frame by the end of the year, D600 most likely. Plus I been ebaying for old nikon manual camera. I have tried the tamron 28-75mm f2.8 which is the full-frame equivalent, might as well looking that.

All photos are SOOC (straight out of camera shots, raw using viewnx to convert to jpeg. No editing) in this series and are downloadable. If you don't know how to use flickr you right click and pick size first.
Tamron 28-70f2.8 wide open:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/camerarch/8237333552/in/set-72157632147185457
to be fair I think she moved. She was the lens saleswoman. Other wide open portrait shots fro mthe amron were also on the softer focus side too.

the old nikkor 35-70mm f.8 wide open
http://www.flickr.com/photos/camerarch/8237334106/in/set-72157632147185457
tamron at f13
http://www.flickr.com/photos/camerarch/8237347970/in/set-72157632147185457/
nikon 35-70 at f13
http://www.flickr.com/photos/camerarch/8237347424/in/set-72157632147185457/

The tamron didn't look as good on my camera lcd in the store, but when I converted it at home it actually looked better, maybe teh lens correction or something. The tamron I thought in store in the camera looked softer. I also have a 90mm and 70-200 tamron and they are tad soft if I was being pickly, but fo rthe price I am happy with the Iq/ cost ratio. The 28-70 has more noticeable zoom then the old nikkor. Oddly the other used nikkor35-70mm in store didn't focus as well, so the tamron I tried calibration maybe a little off too. If I wanted the tamron I would ask to tried another copy. Built quality tamron are the cheap lightest plastic I ever owned. I think the old nikkor was alum copper metal. Anyway I picked the old used nikkor over the tamron this day. Also own 1 sigma, and 1 tokina, 5 nikkors so I don't favor 1st party lens at. I don't buy thing over $500 at my local camera store, but anything less I prefer to shop and test my gears at the local camera shops rather then online because of the service and knowledge of the salesmen.

Here is a flickr group for the lens:
http://www.flickr.com/groups/tamron-17-50-f28/

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 15, 2013 11:15:09 AM PST
Thanks! the pictures look fine to me. i expect more softness versus nikkor lenses, so it's acceptable to me given the price differential.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 16, 2013 8:46:27 PM PST
Image quality is very good even wide open though it will sharpen up even more stopped down a bit. It can offer a lovely creamy bokeh in the right conditions. Focus speed approaches average for a consumer lens which is to say that it might not make a great sports lens. I found the focus accuracy depends a bit on the camera body itself - not only on the camera's focus system but, in some cases, on getting a copy that's well matched to the camera you own. Very good value for the money.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 17, 2013 7:38:07 AM PST
Tom Martin says:
I found the color transmission of the lens left the photos feeling dead.
Focus is slow and tends to hunt in low light.
This is on Canon gear.

I replaced it with a Sigma 17-50mm f/2.8 EX DC OS HSM FLD Large Aperture Standard Zoom Lens which is a far superior lens.

Posted on Feb 18, 2013 2:00:55 PM PST
Zach S. says:
I have the VC version of this lens. The non-VC is purported to be slightly sharper. Image quality is decent to good wide open, best in the center. The bokeh is nice and smooth.

Focus isn't super fast like my Sigma 70-200, but it's not the slowest I've ever used. The focus speed is thoroughly just "OK" it's nothing impressive, but it's not bad.

Posted on Feb 19, 2013 8:07:24 PM PST
toedtoes says:
I have the 17-50mm on a Canon XT. I find it very sharp throughout. It does hunt in extreme low light - but if you learn to focus on a "line" in the shot, then re-frame and shoot, it gets the shots very well. I use it mostly for landscapes, so the re-framing isn't a problem.

I also have the Tokina 11-16mm f2.8, Tamron 28-75mm f2.8 and am getting the Tamron 70-200mm f2.8, so I will have f2.8 straight from 11mm to 200mm. Both the other lenses I already have a killer lenses - not a single complaint for either.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 20, 2013 6:47:01 AM PST
thanks for your reply. i have used the tokina 11-16 multiple times and found it's autofocus decent. not super fast, but sure and accurate, i had no complaints. how would you compare the tamron's auto focus to the tokina 11-16?

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 20, 2013 7:04:09 AM PST
toedtoes says:
I would say they are pretty equal. They start hunting at the same light level. I don't notice one being faster or slower than the other and I switch between them a lot during a shoot. The 28-75mm is significantly faster with the auto-focus.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 20, 2013 9:50:53 PM PST
thanks for the feedback, i appreciate it
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  Photography forum
Participants:  6
Total posts:  11
Initial post:  Feb 15, 2013
Latest post:  Feb 20, 2013

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 2 customers

Search Customer Discussions