Industrial-Sized Deals Best Books of the Month Shop Women's Handbags Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon Beach House Storm Fire TV Stick Off to College Essentials Find the Best Purina Pro Plan for Your Pet Shop Popular Services Home Theater Setup Plumbing Services Assembly Services Shop all TransparentGGWin TransparentGGWin TransparentGGWin  Amazon Echo Fire HD 6 Kindle Voyage The Walking Dead\ Big Savings in the Amazon Fall Sportsman Event Deal of the Day
Customer Discussions > Photography forum

Sony 50mm 1.8 E or 35mm 1.8 E?

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-7 of 7 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Nov 1, 2012 1:55:40 PM PDT
Yile Wu says:
Hi,

I don't know whether I should wait for 35mm or buy 50mm now. Currently I only have the 18-55mm kit lens, which I'm not very satisfied, especially for portrait. I'd prefer to have a prime lens to take picture for my family. $300 now or $450 several 3 months later. Please help me make the decision. Thanks!

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 1, 2012 6:17:42 PM PDT
Well...

Set your kit lens to 35mm -- take an /expected/ portrait..

Set your kit lens to 50mm -- take an /expected/ portrait

Which setting works better in terms of framing, distance, and perspective?

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 1, 2012 10:01:21 PM PDT
Neo Lee says:
$300 is expensive for 50mm f/1.8.

Anyway, I would wait for the 35mm f/1.8. 35mm to APS-C is just about right for indoor, outdoor family portraits.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 1, 2012 11:07:15 PM PDT
As far as the price goes, the 50mm f/1.8 does have built-in image stabilization (and its made by Sony). Anyways, the 50mm is a telephoto on your Nex and particularly good for individual portraits giving you a nice creamy blurred-out background.

The 35mm is pretty much a 'normal lens' (with a view somewhat similar to the human eye) and a bit wider making it easier to include more people. There's also the Sony 30mm f/3.5 Macro though you won't get the same degree of background blurring (and I don't believe it has image stabilization).

By the way, Sony offers a credit card which gives you points you can apply towards Sony products if you get serious about building your 'perfect' kit and adding more lenses and accessories.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 2, 2012 12:13:42 AM PDT
Neo Lee says:
I guess the premium is because of the optical image stabilization and the silent AF motor. Fair enough. That should be awesome for videos.

Posted on Nov 2, 2012 7:53:24 AM PDT
i'm not a sony shooter so i cannot comment on the quality of the sony optics in these specific lenses, but i will comment on focal length and portraits. i have the nikon 35mm and 50mm 1.8 lenses and i will only use the 50mm for portrait work becuase of it's superior bokeh. the 50mm focal length is far superior for rendering beautiful out of focus foregrounds/backgrounds. the bokeh is much softer and pleasing to the eye. the 35 can do ok bokeh (far superior to the kit lens), but it's visibly inferior to the 50's. i love head shots and upper body only portraits, and the 50mm works great for it. but i will admit when i'm shooting groups i have to grab the 35. now if you're really into head shots and upper body portraits, see if sony has an 85mm 1.8 lens. i recently got nikon's new 85 1.8 and all i can say is WOW! an 85mm 1.8 lens is a bokeh machine! bokeh is affected by a few variables, the focal length of the lens, the aperture used, and the distance from the sensor to the subject, and the subject to the background. so to really blow out the background and get that creamy bokeh, use the longest focal length possible, shoot at f1.8, get as close to the subject as possible, and get the subject as far away from the background as possible. ok i'm ranting now good luck with your lens purchase!

Posted on Nov 7, 2012 9:05:04 AM PST
Gatorowl says:
Eric, I agree that in general the longer the focal length, the better the bokeh (and I'm loving my 50 and 85 1.8G lenses for their bokeh!). However, there is a lot of variability between lenses at the same focal length. E.g., my Samyang 35mm 1.4 has much superior bokeh than has my Canon 1.4 L, and both are much better than the Nikon 35mm 1.8G lens. The bokeh across the Nikon 50mm lenses also varies quite significantly.

Therefore, if bokeh is a prime concern, I would want to see samples before buying. The 50mm E is likely better than the 35mm E for bokeh, but it doesn't have to be.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  Photography forum
Participants:  6
Total posts:  7
Initial post:  Nov 1, 2012
Latest post:  Nov 7, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 1 customer

Search Customer Discussions