Customer Discussions > Photography forum

Which lens is this?

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-13 of 13 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Apr 18, 2012 5:31:00 PM PDT
Neo Lee says:
http://i.imgur.com/nGy7g.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/7mH2A.jpg

Sitting on Canon AE-1, it says 24-70mm and with that red ring.

I search on Google, Wiki and eBay, Canon FD/FL 24-70 does not appear to exist at all. Is this lens real? What's the aperture range?

35mm aficionados, please advise. Thank you.

Posted on Apr 18, 2012 5:40:36 PM PDT
Tom Martin says:
Looks like an orange Tokina ring, not red Canon L.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 18, 2012 7:56:02 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Apr 18, 2012 7:57:02 PM PDT
Doesn't look like a Canon lens to me, and not deep red ring that FD Ls or EF Ls have. Either Tokina or Vivitar: they both made 24-70 FD lenses.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 18, 2012 11:23:22 PM PDT
EdM says:
"Canon FD/FL" is a preceding lens mount, and such old FD mount lenses do not work on a modern Canon EOS DSLRs [w/o using adaptors]. The Canon AE-1 likewise is not an EOS camera, but a Canon FD film camera from 1976-84, which you can check out on the internet, at wikipedia, e.g.

Obsolete gear does not appear in the usual modern places. I agree it's an Orange ring, not red Canon L ring ...

Posted on Apr 19, 2012 12:08:55 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Apr 19, 2012 12:09:49 AM PDT
Neo Lee says:
Thanks all for the inputs. I drove to the seller and it isn't a Canon lens and I forgot the name. 24-74mm like f/3.5 -5.6 which should not be worth more than the $50 selling price. I thought it's f/2.8.

Anyway, got myself a Canon AE-1 and FD 50mm f/1.4.

Posted on Apr 19, 2012 7:40:33 AM PDT
T. Campbell says:
I could see it was labeled around the front element (behind the clear filter they have on it) but they didn't give a good enough shot to make it readable.

I still have my original AE-1. I took a LOT of shots with that camera. One day I happen to be at a camera repair shop looking into whether a lens could be serviced and I happened to notice an FD 35-105mm f/3.5-5.6 lens in great shape (technically "used" but it was so perfect that it couldn't have been used very much) so I picked that up to provide some versatility if I ever feel like shooting some 35mm film again.

The same place actually had one "new" in box Canon AE-1 Program. I was a bit surprised they actually had a camera that old that was technically not "used". I'm sure they'll still have it for years to come. The owner of the shop explained that it was there on consignment and the "owner" wants to sell it for a price tag that's pretty much what it would have sold for as a new camera back 30 years ago (the AE-1 Program would have come out somewhere around 1980 - giver or take). I can't imagine anyone paying $400 for any 35mm film camera... whether it was ever used or not.
Your reply to T. Campbell's post:
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 19, 2012 8:17:44 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Apr 19, 2012 8:18:13 AM PDT
Especially not for an AE-1 Program...

I think I paid about $600 for: A-1 (no E; was the top A model), 50mm basic lens, A-2 power winder, and A188 flash.

This was NEW equipment, in late 1983.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 19, 2012 8:38:32 PM PDT
I picked up a working F4 for just over $200. Real good Nikon later film cameras (6006, N65, 2020) can be had for under $20 if you are patient and some of them are brand new and work perfectly. Good Japanese ASA200 24frame film at 99c store. Old lenses abound, pricy for Nikon though because they work on new digital cameras too.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 20, 2012 8:58:28 AM PDT
Neo Lee says:
I might grab an ultra wide zoom if there is any but I doubt that it existed for FD at all. I'm feeling all nostalgic handling rolls of 35mm film, loading and unloading. For some reasons, I feel privileged to have access to f/1.4 on full frame for under a hundred dollars. FF digital at f/1.4 should easily cost more than a grand if not two.

$400 for a NIB camera made 30 years ago. I wouldn't buy either. If I bought, I would be sure as hell that I would buy it as a forever NIB collectible. But hey, mold doesn't discriminate against NIB or not, right. The cloth shutter curtain is probably already moldy.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 20, 2012 9:03:17 AM PDT
Neo Lee says:
There's a shop a few blocks away selling a fully functional A-1 with a crystal clear 50mm f/1.4 for $70. Good deal?

Oh I could see some dots of white stuff that look like dead mold on the cloth curtain and in the film compartment.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 20, 2012 9:22:51 AM PDT
Neo Lee says:
The guy wanted to sell F4 to me for $400. Expensive huh?

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 20, 2012 10:27:29 AM PDT
"""
Oh I could see some dots of white stuff that look like dead mold on the cloth curtain and in the film compartment.
"""

And how's the foam pad that the mirror stops against (Hmmm, I should dig out my film cameras and check them -- I know the ca. 1955 Agfa Karat needs a good degreasing; the focus helix is so gummed up one twists the whole front of the lens on the bellows support).

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 20, 2012 7:50:59 PM PDT
T. Campbell says:
"The cloth shutter curtain is probably already moldy."

I'm. Or sure why, but I expected the same. As I inspect the cloth focal plane shutter on my own AE-1 I don't see a y trace of mold... and my own camera has been all over and was heavily used for years. I'm expecting the shutter on the AE-1 Program is probably in great shape.

But considering an AE-1 body is worth about $125, I don't think an AE-1 Program is worth $400.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  Photography forum
Participants:  7
Total posts:  13
Initial post:  Apr 18, 2012
Latest post:  Apr 20, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 1 customer

Search Customer Discussions