Customer Discussions > Photography forum

Tripod Setup For iPad Videography

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-7 of 7 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Dec 13, 2012 6:45:40 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 13, 2012 6:49:06 PM PST
I want to set up my iPad 3 to be able to video indoor sports practice and be able to immediately show the participants the video as an aid to better the practice.

I have found several real contenders for tripod mounts including these two:

Makayama Movie Mount for iPad 3

Memories iPad Case - On Sale for December - Mounts ipad on a tripod - Add zoom lens, mics, and more! - Hard cover protects back of iPad 2/3/4

I do want to be able to add a light and possibly a microphone.

For playback in a larger format, I have a spare 19" flat screen TV I could use but would a monitor be better?

I also need a sturdy tripod that is portable.

I am hoping to find opinions from personal hands-on experience.

Thanks everyone!

*This post duplicates a post I made in the Gold Box Forum where I didn't get a response.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 19, 2012 10:20:10 AM PST
robert they says:
I will tell you this. Just look for the best reviews you can find on iPad mounting systems and go for that. I made my own this past summer when I found I had to shoot a Commercial on an iPad.

Tripod. Make certain to get a Pan and Tilt tripod-head. For the tripod itself ensure it extends to your desired shooting height, usually found in inches. You'll pay good money for a good head. Your weight of the iPad is a consideration. Most of the tripods that have been around are for much heavier Camera's so you need to find one that can perform well with the iPad's lighter weight.

Light. You can add light, but shooting indoor sports, you'd need so much light you would be rigging lots of lighting. The Gain on the ipad will tend to cover most indoor scenario's, but it will also produce lots of grain in the video.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 20, 2012 12:34:13 AM PST
Robert, thanks so much!

Do you have an opinion between the two systems I listed in my first post above?

I had not thought of the weight of the iPad being an issue. Thanks for mentioning that.

Thanks again.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 20, 2012 6:07:21 AM PST
robert they says:
No. Not really. Like I said, read the reviews and go for it. Though I would definitely try to find some blog posts or YT video showing one in use and finding out what they had to say about it. There's bound to be more than 2 choices out there.

Cheers,

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 20, 2012 7:05:27 AM PST
Thanks Robert,
I didn't think of searching YT videos. I will do that!

Posted on Dec 20, 2012 8:01:21 AM PST
robert they says:
Just another thought. This purchase may or may not be a relatively expensive one. I often rent gear to decide beforehand if I might like a given piece (tripods, heads can be rented). Also visiting Camera Stores can be a help in preventing unwanted purchases~

Good Luck~

Posted on Dec 22, 2012 3:18:38 AM PST
Thank you Robert - all good ideas for consideration.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Photography forum

This discussion

Discussion in:  Photography forum
Participants:  2
Total posts:  7
Initial post:  Dec 13, 2012
Latest post:  Dec 22, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 2 customers

Search Customer Discussions