Automotive Deals HPCC Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Pink Floyd Fire TV Stick Sun Care Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer angrybirds angrybirds angrybirds  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Water Sports
Customer Discussions > PlayStation 2 forum

I'm thinking of getting final fantasy for my ps2. Any thoughts?

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 25 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Nov 27, 2010 10:36:23 PM PST
do you think final fantasy is a good game series?

Posted on Nov 27, 2010 11:17:58 PM PST
It is. I would recommend that you get Final Fantasy 10. It's a fantastic game and I thought it was better than 12. Of course, 12 isn't that bad, either. In fact, you really can't go wrong with either one. If you can, I would also suggest you hit up the PSOne games in the series. Final Fantasy Anthology, Chronicles, VII, VIII, and IX.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 29, 2010 1:55:48 PM PST
ok thanks.

Posted on Nov 30, 2010 10:39:42 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 30, 2010 10:42:49 PM PST
Solidus says:
I don't recommend it. Final Fantasy is ok, but there are WAY better RPGs for the PS2 that I would recommend over it. Try Shin Megami Tensei: Nocturne, Digital Devil Saga, Persona, Disgaea, Ar Tonelico, Star Ocean, and Xenosaga instead.

Posted on Dec 1, 2010 1:22:39 AM PST
Technosapien says:
Final Fantasy is the best RPG series ever!

Posted on Dec 5, 2010 3:09:53 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 5, 2010 3:38:31 PM PST
Final Fantasy is a great series, but start with Final Fantasy 6 (snes or psx) or Final Fantasy 7 (psx). Those, and Final Fantasy 4, (snes or psx) are by far my favorites in the series. I've heard Final Fantasy Tactics (psx) is a masterpiece too, but I haven't played it yet. You could emulate the psx versions of those games on your backwards compatible ps2.

As far as the ps2 goes, there are better rpgs on the system, although Final Fantasy 12 is no slouch. (although it's story is bland, it has some of the best game play of the series) Many like Final Fantasy 10, but it didn't do as much for me as the other final fantasy games that I noted. (and to be honest, while it's a solid game, I'd prefer most other entries in the series over it -- it's characters are very poorly developed, and it's easy to cruise through the game with summons)

I would say I mostly agree with what Solidus said about ps2 rpgs, essentially that the Digital Devil Saga games, Persona 4, and the Xenosaga games were my favorite entries on the system. (and Digital Devil Saga II is my favorite game of all time, although it isn't for everyone, and you have to play the first entry to get the most out of it, though it is also amazing). There are a lot more that I would recommend, but I haven't finished them yet.

While you're at it, check out old Square games on the SNES and PSX, such as Chrono Trigger (snes or psx), Secret of Mana (snes), and Xenogears (psx).

Posted on Dec 8, 2010 1:29:08 PM PST
Hi there! Final Fantasy 10 is my favorite game of all time! Amazing graphics, great story, plus wonderful dialog; this really has everything you could ask for! The people who said that it isn't that great are obviously crazy. Or they want you to miss out on awesomeness for some reason. That is the only possible explination for why they would say that. Don't listen to them!! The Shin Megami Tensei series are great too though. I love Persona 3 and Persona 4.

Posted on Dec 8, 2010 2:01:10 PM PST
GarionOrb says:
Final Fantasy X was awesome. Final Fantasy X-2 was pretty good, and Final Fantasy XII was meh.

Posted on Dec 9, 2010 12:32:35 PM PST
Kathy Scott says:
I agree that Final Fantasy is the best RPG series ever. Though I would recommend starting with one of the earlier ones (on ps1), they are all amazing in their own ways.

Posted on Dec 10, 2010 2:47:23 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 10, 2010 2:56:32 PM PST
ME says:
Ff 8 and 10 are the ones that I finished and would strongly recommended.I really liked titus and the 10 crew but FF10-2 is so awful don't get it.(SPOILER!) I thought that I would do anything to bring titus back to Yuna, congrats square you proved me wrong.Final Fantasy chronicles (psx) is worth getting, but not for the FF game, get it for chrono trigger.Its changed a lil but pennies to the dollar on the snes release. I was not found of FF seven but you may be, a lot of people were. However with games like the persona series and newer ps2 rpg releases its hard to say if a FF game is the one I'd grab first if I did it all again.FFXll is a decent game but I had a hard time getting into the characters.Although Ive played it 3 times -- clocking about 30 hours each time-- it didn't suck me in enough to play through beginning to end.I restarted 3 times because I forgot a lot.Hoped this help happy gaming!

Posted on Dec 11, 2010 1:01:38 PM PST
Gregory says:
ME, you loved 10 but couldn't get into 12's characters? Different strokes and all that, but I thought that Tidus and Yuna were the most annoying characters I've ever seen in a Final Fantasy game (well, there's Squall, but you weren't supposed to like him.)

In the same vein as Timothy Beyer and Solinus, I'd recommend other RPGs. The Shadow hearts trilogy is a blast (especially the second one, but it's a direct sequel of the first, so I don't recommend skipping to it), Persona 3 is good with some flaws (there's a central randomly generated dungeon that really wore on me after a while), Disgaea is good if you like tactical RPGs, very cute and funny, Star Ocean: Second Story is a great, more traditional RPG for the PSX (which your PS2 will play; despite the title, by the way, it's not really related to the first game, which is good for you, because you can't play the first game unless you buy it for the PSP or play a fan translation on your computer), I liked the first two Wild Arms games although I wouldn't call them works of genius.

(Although on the other hand, getting both X and XII used would cost you maybe $15, including shipping, so if you're really interested, I don't see why you shouldn't check them out if you're interested.)

Posted on Dec 15, 2010 6:54:20 PM PST
I thought FFX was unplayable, and found FF12 to be an entertaining breath of fresh air.

Posted on Jan 10, 2011 12:10:58 PM PST
Joy says:
I really like the FF series (which is saying a lot since I no longer like turn-based). My favorite is 12 but I really liked 9, 10 and 10-2. As another posted stated, the prices for these games are very reasonable now.

Posted on Mar 8, 2011 8:55:53 AM PST
N. Miller says:
X-2 was HORRIBLE DONT DO IT

Posted on Mar 19, 2011 12:16:41 PM PDT
sweetwords says:
FF is a good series. I enjoyed entries 7-10 and X-2, and my husband liked XII. Remember, however, the farther back you go, the worse the graphics are, which means more to some players than others.

FFVII is the most famous, with several directly connected games, a couple movies, and an enormous amount of fan fiction, but more old-school as to actual play, though the fight method certainly has its pluses.

FFVIII is very serious and quite complicated - took me 3 start-overs to make the battle system really flow, though once I understood it I realized it wasn't nearly as hard as it looked.

FFIX is lighter in both story and gameplay than the others, especially right after #8. Not the favorite of most players, but I enjoyed it very much.

FFX is the second most famous, with gorgeous graphics, amazing storyline, absorbing characters, and interesting battle system. A few of the ultimate weapon challenges are near-impossible, but I enjoyed the blitzball (waterball) and got expert at it.

FFX-2 has a lightning-fast battle system and an excellent - if minimal - storyline, but it is VERY girly. The love-monkeys mission was utterly ridiculous, but it was balanced out by Yuna's gun gauntlet, which was an interesting challenge for me.

FFXI is an online game that we've never tried.

FFXII is the one my husband enjoyed, and for once, actually played all the way through. The storyline and characters seemed drier than FF usually is, so not appealing to me, but more of an "action RPG", which is what appealed to my husband.

FFXIII we haven't played, but the main criticism I've heard is that it's too short by far. Beautifully done, though, of course.

Posted on Apr 5, 2011 12:33:39 AM PDT
Get Dragon Quest VIII

Posted on Apr 12, 2011 5:25:49 AM PDT
KraftyKid says:
Ohhhhhh you nay sayers. I have every FF PS2 they put out. I even have PS3 but having trouble getting the PS3 console back from grandson :) I was able to get FF1 & 2, what a kick that was. I would recommend these games to anyone. Always something new around the corner.

Posted on Apr 28, 2011 10:49:37 AM PDT
Shusaku says:
Final Fantasy for PS2...

FF X > FF XII > FF X-2

Posted on Apr 28, 2011 11:39:41 AM PDT
Joel H. says:
I second Dragon Quest VIII. It was the first in the series i had played, and i didn't really know what to expect (saw square-enix and said oook) but it really is one of the most memorable games i've ever played. The depth of that game is rediculous.

I was a little late to the party with the FF series, but you can't go wrong with X or XII. To play X-2, you'd basically have to sacrifice your penis. Haha XI isn't bad either.. XI and XII are alot alike. Except for the whole pay to play thing. Don't let the learning curve or griding discourage you! Goblins are eagerly awaiting to kill you in valkurm!

Posted on May 11, 2011 7:03:50 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on May 11, 2011 7:05:22 AM PDT
Sheex says:
If you want to play the good PS2 Final Fantasy, then you can only go with X. I'd recommend Final Fantasy Origins, Chronicles and Anthology too for the PSX. Chronicles gets you Chrono Trigger, which is another awesome Squaresoft game. The Final Fantasy series took a major hit and has gone downhill ever since the merge with Enix. Play these Enix-free titles and you'll have a lot of fun. ^_^ Not that I hate old-school Enix...their Star Ocean games are a lot of fun too!

Posted on Jan 3, 2012 3:54:49 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Jan 3, 2012 3:55:47 PM PST
Anthony says:
saw when the last post was, deleted it, lol.

Posted on May 23, 2012 6:41:33 AM PDT
Daniel Parks says:
other than the SMT games that were mentioned, i'd rather play Dragon Quest 8 over FFX, X-2 AND XII. over 100 hours of gameplay if you really want to explore the entire world and do all the sidequests. FFIX for ps1 still holds up for me as well, at least as far as gameplay (the chocobo treasure hunting sidequest was a lot of fun, and the hidden boss Ozma is one tough mofo!).

In reply to an earlier post on May 27, 2012 12:27:50 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on May 27, 2012 12:55:59 PM PDT
Shullen says:
Final Fantasy VII and Final Fantasy X get all the hype because of the "newer" generational crowd (having limited experience with previous ones in the series), but old school Final Fantasy players will tell you Final Fantasy VI on SNES is where it's at. (It was honored by Game Informer as the number one Final Fantasy/RPG console game of all time on their list of 250 greatest games making #8 on the list). Respect!

Posted on Jun 6, 2012 8:13:36 PM PDT
Giancarlo M says:
Final fantasy 10 was what started it all for me, it was an absolutely amazing game, characters you will fall in love with, joined with an unforgettable story, I'm not kidding, lol. The sequel was really disappointing, it's realllly girly and doesn't really appeal to as many guys. The 12th game was okay, I'm really close to the end and I literally don't remember anything from the story line, i'm not joking, if you were to ask me about that game I would just stare into space. But over all I higly reccomend getting FF 10!! and maybe 12 if you want to try it out.

Posted on Jun 24, 2012 10:23:01 PM PDT
I started with FF VII which has to be by far the best video game this world will ever know. Although Final Fantasy IX was personally my favorite, it by a hair's pinch beats out FF VII. I finished vii, ix, viii then 1, 2; unfortunately i cannot play V or Vi because of the discs. And X is not as great as the older one's. trust me.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the PlayStation 2 forum (85 discussions)

This discussion

Discussion in:  PlayStation 2 forum
Participants:  24
Total posts:  25
Initial post:  Nov 27, 2010
Latest post:  Jun 24, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 3 customers

Search Customer Discussions