Customer Discussions > PlayStation 3 forum

What are best PS3 games for 7-9 year olds..."Move" games also

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 25 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Nov 26, 2012 9:41:18 PM PST
Fran says:
I am new to PS3 and games...have grandson who is pretty new to all too. Looking for ideas (have been using a DS)...probably not going to use "online" and want games that will be good for him to play alone and sometimes with me...

Posted on Nov 26, 2012 11:04:11 PM PST
Theresa Yeh says:
Little Big Planet and Little Big Planet 2 would be first choice. Ratchet and Clank series is also good. Child of Eden, Sound Shapes (PSN download), Flower (PSN download, or go for the Journey collector's edition, which has Flow, Flower, Journey on one disc), Little Big Planet Karting, Disney Epic Mickey 2, LEGO series, SONIC Generations... maybe Just Dance 4?

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 27, 2012 9:49:58 AM PST
Fran says:
Thanks! good start...

Posted on Nov 27, 2012 11:29:17 AM PST
Bone says:
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]

Posted on Nov 27, 2012 12:50:36 PM PST
saskamazon says:
the Jak & Daxter Collection is also a good one ... 3 games on 1 disc, fun. I have an 8 yr. old boy, & he's been enjoying the games listed by Theresa Y .... he's very fond of Playstion All Stars Battle Royale as well .... we played Ratchet & Clank All 4 One together, & it was a great co-op experience ... Skylanders Giants is a great game as well ... Lego Batman 2 is pretty cool - all the heroes & villains in 1 game ...

Posted on Nov 27, 2012 7:04:59 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 27, 2012 7:10:53 PM PST
Wrecks-mas says:
Lego games (Batman 2, LotR, etc.)
Ratchet and Clank games (HD Collection, A Crack in Time)
PS Allstars Battle Royale
Sly HD Collection
Jak HD Collection
Sonic and SEGA Allstars Racing Transformed
LittleBigPlanet 1 & 2

Posted on Nov 27, 2012 7:27:47 PM PST
Most of the good games in established series that would appeal to a kid in that age group have already been mentioned. As for newer offerings, you might check out Wonderbook: Book of Spells, especially if your grandson is (or was) into Harry Potter.

Posted on Nov 28, 2012 3:16:20 PM PST
I would consider LittleBigPlanet 2 as a suitable game.

Posted on Dec 2, 2012 7:32:36 AM PST
I heard rayman origins is great

Posted on Dec 2, 2012 7:55:38 AM PST
Skylanders Spyro's Adventure Starter Pack and Skylanders Giants Starter Kit are also both a blast. They're my son's favorite games by far.

Posted on Dec 2, 2012 1:42:57 PM PST
Nani says:
start with little big planet series & rayman origins

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 2, 2012 5:46:12 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 2, 2012 5:46:25 PM PST
WeaKeN says:
lol @ your 9 year old playing GoW. that game is certainly not for pre-teens

Posted on Dec 3, 2012 7:01:25 AM PST
nkilburne says:
@WeaKeN ...that game's barely for teens. I'm 26 and still think it's over the top. Don't get me wrong, they're good games...but I can't believe 9 year olds are actually playing them.

To the Original Post:

Jak & Daxter HD Collection (Rated E, I believe)
Ratchet & Clank HD Collection (Rated E 10+)
Ratchet & Clank Future Games (Rated E-T, I think)
The Sly Cooper Collection (Rated E)
PlayStation All-Stars Battle Royale (Rated T, but no blood/gore/language...just a lot of fighting)
LittleBigPlanet 2 (You can probably skip LBP1...but consider the Muppets & Toy Story DLC Packs for LBP2)
Rayman Origins (Rated E)
Portal 2 (Rated T)

I'd also consider the Uncharted games. They're technically shooters but they're definitely more story-driven games...something that can be fun to sit and watch because it's well written and the voice acting is top-notch. There's not much blood (if any...can't really remember), but I'd liken it to a PG-13 action movie. There's some lesser swearing (dammit is used more than anything else) and a lot of shooting, but I wouldn't call it particularly violent. More arcade shooting.

Good luck with the system!

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 3, 2012 7:39:09 AM PST
D_Strasse says:
GREAT list - I would also add Mod Nation Racers.

Posted on Dec 3, 2012 12:58:18 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 3, 2012 12:58:43 PM PST
I got worms says:
Oddly satisfying:

Katamari Forever

maybe

De Blob 2

Posted on Dec 7, 2012 1:34:13 PM PST
T. Reed says:
Give that kid a wii. Way more games at his level than ps3. You're in for a shocker when you catch your sweet grandson playing with Aphrodite and the gallons of blood used in GOW3.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 7, 2012 8:17:35 PM PST
saskamazon says:
what a ridiculous statement .... clearly, an adult would have to buy the games - you think GOW would be on the list for a young child ? the PS3 has lots of all ages, appropriate games.

Posted on Dec 17, 2012 9:50:25 PM PST
Actually, a Wii could be more useful if using it moreso for gaming purposes than all around entertainment... plus mommy can get a workout in too ;)

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 18, 2012 8:45:12 AM PST
ice grizzly says:
Dance games like just dance 4, sing star dance, sports games like madden are also fun

Posted on Dec 18, 2012 7:00:01 PM PST
Depending on the age, I would suggest Valkyria Chronicles (but I always jump at a chance to recommend that game). It's a Strategy Roleplaying game in a World War 2-esque war setting. It uses a 'cartooney' style and doesn't really have any graphic violence. It's pretty light-hearted for the most part, but it does touch upon some issues of racism and death.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 18, 2012 8:30:56 PM PST
I love Valkyria Chronicles, but it isn't really appropriate for a 7-9 year old. It's rated T, and I'd say both the themes and the gameplay are a little too sophisticated for most kids in that age group.

Posted on Dec 19, 2012 5:02:45 AM PST
If you have the money to spare, Try Skylanders and Skylanders Giants.

Posted on Dec 31, 2012 5:02:24 PM PST
RexRau says:
some racing car game?

Posted on Jan 1, 2013 5:31:09 PM PST
Expedito Paz says:
I would start with LittleBigPlanet and Lego Batman 2: DC Super Heroes. These are games where co-op playing is almost mandatory, and you can play with him. I have a six-year old godson who loves them. He also loves football and soccer games. Also, Just Dance games (there are some kids-specific versions) are also good choices.

Posted on Jan 1, 2013 8:03:08 PM PST
Fran says:
Thanks everyone....do not need any further input. Bot LittleBigPlanet2, Tourismo (car racing), and PussNBoots (move)....so far he loves them! I really feel it best to start him with appropriate child games that teach the "skills" for hand/eye coordination and mentally stimulating how to process info and learn maneuvers without the stresses of teen type input. We also have Sports Champions which has been fun. Wasn't sure about Tourismo but a friend suggested it would be good for us. He has access to a Wii and Xbox at other family homes...so the others can figure those out for him.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the PlayStation 3 forum

Discussion Replies Latest Post
Can you put PS 3 save files into PC? Can you use ps 3 save game with PC? For example if you have wwe 2k15 on ps 3 and you have save files and you also have wwe 2k15 on pc, can you use ps 3 save files from wwe 2k15 with wwe 2k15 pc? 2 3 days ago
Can you play ps 2 or ps 1 game on ps 3? How to play ps 2 or ps 1 game on ps 3? 5 20 days ago
Widescreen Amazon Streaming on PS3? 19 Sep 28, 2014
120hz vs 60hz for gaming 37 Sep 19, 2014
how to play Japanese PS2 games on PS3 USA version 25 Aug 22, 2014
How high will the PS3 get? 15 Feb 24, 2014
Who likes it more... 1 Feb 3, 2014
Dust 514 - free to play /in-game items for new recruits 0 Jan 30, 2014
HELP! My brand new ps3 freezes often. How normal is this? 51 Jan 21, 2014
Amazon price fluctuation? 10 Jan 15, 2014
I have a few questions please. 37 Jan 14, 2014
Lets be friends and play online. Whats your PSN ID? 711 Jun 27, 2013

This discussion

Discussion in:  PlayStation 3 forum
Participants:  20
Total posts:  25
Initial post:  Nov 26, 2012
Latest post:  Jan 1, 2013

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 5 customers

Search Customer Discussions