Customer Discussions > PlayStation 3 forum

Old classic games vs. Modern day games, your opinions and comments

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-21 of 21 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Oct 20, 2012 2:54:09 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Oct 20, 2012 3:00:53 PM PDT
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]

Posted on Oct 24, 2012 5:27:50 AM PDT
D.Wyn says:
Dan, you're going to get ripped apart, even though your words are well intended. You forget that a retro gamer is more than someone who's been gaming since the original Sony Playstation or Sega Saturn (when memory cards came onto the scene). Most classic gamers play on systems where the closest thing you'll see to a memory card is a battery back up on the cartridge or a password system, and that's if you were lucky. Otherwise you'd have to be blessed the gaming fortitude and endurance to beat your game of choice in a single sitting.

Posted on Oct 24, 2012 6:44:16 AM PDT
Kin-foot says:
I don't see the difference. Games are as good now as they were then.

Sounds like you should look more into indie games. Games like Journey or Unfinished Swan or Bastion or Lone Survivor. There are probably a thousand more I could name.

Posted on Oct 24, 2012 6:50:33 AM PDT
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 24, 2012 9:09:21 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Oct 24, 2012 9:11:22 AM PDT
by the way Hmph, i also have all the PS3 up to the new super slim. when i look for a game to play, i go for one with a complex storyline and that will take some time to beat. Not like most games these days that can be beat within 45 minutes to one hour. I have never really cared about the graphics of a game. like the game, legend of dragoon. i love that game because it has one hell of a storyline and takes time to beat. so we may have different takes on games now these days. when your playing a game next time, look beyond the graphics and into the game itself. you'll be surprise at what you will see

Posted on Oct 24, 2012 9:19:37 AM PDT

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 25, 2012 11:12:39 AM PDT
ok if they take away the graphics of one of those games you listed, would you still play them? If all games went back to the old graphics it wouldn't bug me at all. But to you it would be a crime to all games. Get over graphics of any games. That's not what makes a game.

Posted on Oct 25, 2012 2:37:35 PM PDT
Come on Dan, I'm 30 and I remember being wowed every generation from NES up to my PS3 I got last year by the graphics. When I got my N64 I never thought that a game could look or play better than Mario 64. I had a Wii for several years because I have young kids and played and enjoyed Mario, Zelda, etc on that. However, popping Oblivion into my PS3 on my HDTV felt like I had stepped up to the big kids table for gaming. Gameplay, story, etc. are all parts of a great game, but graphics are as well. The "45 minutes" to beat a game sounds like you are playing FPS'

Posted on Oct 26, 2012 1:30:03 AM PDT
D.Wyn says:
I can understand the graphics comment, as I loved the 16-bit style, 2D is king in my book. I love Guilty Gear/BlazBlu fighting games for this reason. I just wish they weren't so rare, it's a crime. If a game is fun I'll play it and it's true that graphics don't often equal game play either, but it's all opinion anyways, so play the games that make you happy.

Posted on Oct 26, 2012 9:26:00 AM PDT
G-Money says:
Fun is the ultimate test. I can still play Contra and Bubble Bobble and have a lot of fun co-op, but I still appreciate playing NBA 2k, I mean double dribble was fun at the time, but NBA 2k blows it our of the water gameplay and graphics wise. I appreciate the classics and the moderns. The good classic games were amazing because the stories were ahead of the graphics, today's games the graphics are sometime ahead of the story. I like them all, but nostalgia does creep in for the older games.

Posted on Oct 26, 2012 12:44:54 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Oct 26, 2012 12:45:37 PM PDT
Paper Tiger says:
I'm primarily an RPG gamer so I like old school and new RPGs equally. I actually wish a lot of old RPGs could be remade in HD so we can see the worlds in more detail! As far as other games go I feel like old school games tend to be platformers and 2D side scrollers and sadly I just don't enjoy them anymore. There are occasional exceptions of course.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 26, 2012 7:53:32 PM PDT
Sudeley says:
For shooters they are way better modern day, for simulation games, modern is better, for RPG games Old Classics for me is the best, I enjoy a great Turn Based combat game over a hack and slash action adventure.

Posted on Nov 5, 2012 10:38:05 AM PST
Derek says:
I grew up on Commodore 64, NES, Genesis, and on and on. I have fond memories of the games from those days. To me the game is all about the story and gameplay, graphics can be a plus. Games from that area were fun for that time. If you replay those games now, I find them to be more difficult to play. Maybe I am just getting rusty. But I do think that the developers knew that to extend thelife of the game, they would have to have the game be more difficult so you would not breeze through it in one afternoon. Back then I enjoyed replaying the same level over and over until I mastered it. Games were more about memorization as to location of enemies, where you needed to jump, etc. These days, I want the game to be a more relaxing and enjoyable experience. I have fond memories of the retro gaming, but I am ready to move on. Bring on more of Dragon Age, Mass Effect and even Heavy Rain.

Posted on Nov 9, 2012 1:44:15 PM PST
GreyWolf says:
Ok I must be old as I grew up with the Atari 2600 and ColecoVision :) Heck the ColecoVision is up at in our cabin in NH. I still play my wife in baseball up there and to this day we haven't finished a game. Usually end up tied like 18 to 18 in the 5th :) I can go back to the old classics like Bard's Tale and StarFlight on the PC. I don't think it has anything to do with memory cards as to me, that is the in between of the gaming industry. And it will be totally changed in another 10 years. Just go for the ride and enjoy it!!

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 9, 2012 3:10:59 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 9, 2012 3:13:44 PM PST
Right there with you GreyWolf! I had everything from the Magnavox Odyssey, Atari 2600, 5200, 7800 atari 400 computer, 800 computer, 1600 computer, Adam, colecovision, Intellivision (still have this in working order) and almost all the others. and I do agree a bit with the OP that games these days do quite a bit of hand holding when compared to older games. but I do adore todays graphics, I dreampt about games like I get to play today such as Fallout 3, Borderlands 1 and 2 Battlefield 3 etc. the graphical power of today sort of balances the Need another Quarter mechanic of old. what I mean by this is games of yesteryear were hyped mostly by word of mouth since there was no internet, thus the game was popular in arcades and there'd be lines of folks waiting to play, lines of quarters on the machine. today games get a lot of advertising and a lot of fanbase on the internet so the hype grows much faster this way. but it's not all that different from hyped games of yesteryear, just different. much like the games themselves. games of old never had a NG+ feature nor the amazing graphics, no open worlds, no mmorpg's no online at all few had any multiplayer at all though they didn't need them back then because gaming was new thus the public wanted anything they could get especally arcade ports. games have changed, the players, not so much :) as long as games continue to provide new and fresh experiences I will be a gamer. if the Curse of HD ports continues I may take a break.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 14, 2012 7:08:56 AM PST
Memory cards have absolutely nothing to do with anything. Not sure why you are so focused on that. In the old days we left the system on for 9000 hours until the game was defeated, barring those games that actually saved.

As far as nintendo goes, the word nintendo has no relation any longer to the word gamer. Many hours I spent between 1986 and 1996 on NES, SNES, N64, even Gameboy, Atari, Genesis, 3D0, and arcade machines. Those days are long gone and dead. The games of the past will never make a comeback and for good reason - they are remedial compared to today. The challenge of old games came entirely from timing, nothing else. Today you have to (or you had to previously, at least) have skill, situational awareness, have to know combos, have to know stats, have to know what stats suit you the best, you have to know where to find items, the recoil on your gun, how far to lead your shot, blah blah blah blah blah blah.

By no means was old gaming better - it was simply nostalgic. Nostalgia does not equal quality. I've tried to go back and play Super Mario World, when I was still young, years ago - can't do it. Died seriously like 15 times on the same stupid shit before I gave up.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 14, 2012 9:04:47 AM PST
I'm going to assume you don't actually play games. There isn't a single game that has come out, as a major AAA title, in YEARS, that can be beaten in 45 minutes. Even MGS4 which is a 16 hour movie, has more than an hour of gameplay.Just played AC3 when it came out, definitely more than 45 minutes, same with the first 4 games, same with drake games, same with mgs games, gta games, elder scrolls games, even mario games, saints row, resident evil, gears of war, and pretty much every single game that has come out in the past 30 years. So your argument makes no sense.

Are all of those games good? No.

Posted on Nov 17, 2012 12:04:34 PM PST
Gamecube games are old classic games now? Anyway, there are plenty of great games out now, many in the indie scene. If you're talking about how the big AAA games seem to be going for more flash than substance, yeah I can see that, but you can still pick out a few gems. I don't see how wired controllers or a memory card make someone a gamer. Those are just relics that don't add anything to the experience of actually playing the game.

Posted on Nov 25, 2012 12:18:21 AM PST
EpsilonX says:
I prefer older games. Older systems had lots of limitations, which led to lots of innovative gameplay. Does anybody else notice how most games play virtually the same these days? They all have seem to have the same, or at least very similar, controls. Every new game I play, I feel like i've played it a million times before. Though, there are some amazing games this generation that couldn't have been done on past generations, like Demon's Souls (which also happens to be a very unique game and unlike anything else i've played this generation)

Posted on Nov 29, 2012 3:24:11 PM PST
todays games r just pointless fps only about 2 handfuls of todays games r good

Posted on Dec 17, 2012 12:14:46 PM PST
G-Money says:
Get off my lawn you PS3 hooligan
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  PlayStation 3 forum
Participants:  15
Total posts:  21
Initial post:  Oct 20, 2012
Latest post:  Dec 17, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 2 customers

Search Customer Discussions