Customer Discussions > PlayStation 3 forum

I have a few questions please.

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 38 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Feb 28, 2013 3:15:53 PM PST
Its been at least 6 years since I played games on the ps2. I'm thinking of buying a ps3. Do you need a memory card for the ps3? Can you use ps1 and ps2 games on the ps3? Any recomendations of games? I liked adventure games like baulders gate or zelda and rpgs. Thanks.

Posted on Feb 28, 2013 3:47:50 PM PST
No memory card needed.

You can play PS1 discs but would have to buy PS2 games from the network.

Too many great games to list.

Posted on Feb 28, 2013 5:48:08 PM PST
lisatsunami says:
Michelle, the new Tomb Raider is coming out next week. It's multiplatform, but I'm getting the PS3 version. Older game I loved, Dragon Age Origins. Current game I'm playing is Ni No Kuni, which is a JRPG but not turn-based. I love the heck out of Skyrim but you have to be patient due to so many bugs.

Posted on Feb 28, 2013 7:55:34 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Feb 28, 2013 7:55:55 PM PST
thanks so much.

Posted on Mar 1, 2013 3:50:37 AM PST
Kin-foot says:
I recommend both Dragon Age Origins and Ni No Kuni also.

All PS3s play PS1 games but not all play PS2 games (unless you download them). Only the older PS3 consoles play PS2 games. They stopped making those for years now so they are harder to find and of course used.

Posted on Mar 1, 2013 6:41:36 AM PST
Lemonadez says:
Valkyria Chronicles is a great RPG on PS3, Borderlands 2, Fallout 3, Tales of Graces F. 3d Dot Heroes if you are looking for a zelda-like game.

Posted on Mar 1, 2013 7:35:30 AM PST
Thanks for the recomendations. Are their any games like Azure Dreams ps1 and Dark Cloud ps2? Two games i really liked.

Posted on Mar 1, 2013 8:00:18 AM PST
Kin-foot says:
Sorry, never played Azure Dreams and Dark Cloud but maybe I can clear up a few.

Dragon Age Origins shares a lot of Baulder's Gate. Being the same developers it's not surprising.

3D Dot Heroes is a very Zelda like game, old school Zelda.

Ni No Kuni is a mixture of the Tales games with Pokemon. Also a complete beauty to look at.

Posted on Mar 1, 2013 9:14:28 AM PST
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]

Posted on Mar 1, 2013 2:48:17 PM PST
Theresa Yeh says:
Ni no Kuni is by the same developer of Dark Cloud, so maybe you'd like to check it out.

Posted on Mar 2, 2013 8:56:46 AM PST
I will thanks.

Posted on Mar 2, 2013 9:54:24 AM PST
Eric says:
Dark souls, fallout 3 , Skyrim are great rpgs. The psn store also has a lot of jrpgs, ps1 and ps2 games for download.

Posted on Mar 2, 2013 10:38:45 AM PST
Theresa Yeh says:
Eternal Sonata is also a solid JRPG for PS3. White Knight Chronicles got mix reviews, but personally I enjoyed it. It's also by the same developer of Dark Cloud. Get White Knight Chronicles 2, it's got both WKC and WKC2 on one disc.

Posted on Mar 4, 2013 3:58:56 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Mar 4, 2013 4:00:34 PM PST
Paper Tiger says:
I would def recommend Tales of Graces F and Ni No Kuni if you liked Dark Cloud. I think Dragon Age Origins is a great buy too. I don't know any RPG lovers who don't like Origins. DA:2 is hit or miss. There is also a new Tales game coming (Xillia) but you may as well start with Graces F as it's already out.

I also recommend Nier as it constantly reminded me of Zelda when I played it. It has a great story too.

Lord of the Rings: War in the North is made by the same people who made Baldur's Gate: Dark Alliance (?). I really like it and it's even more fun with a couch co-op buddy.

Posted on Mar 5, 2013 11:59:14 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Mar 5, 2013 12:04:36 PM PST
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 5, 2013 1:02:34 PM PST
G-Money says:
Michelle, The new playstation 3 does not play PS1 or PS2 discs. So I wanted to make that clear (the older fat version 60gb does play a good number of ps1 and ps2 games). So if you are buying one of the new slim systems, you can only play ps1 and ps2 games via the playstion network and will have to download them onto the ps3 system directly. Lots of the recommendations are spot on Ni No Kuni is the rage right now.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 6, 2013 3:53:40 AM PST
Kin-foot says:
I liked Skyrim much more than Demon/Dark Souls and I loved Demon's Souls. I didn't find it empty and dull at all. I like exploring and doing the missions more than just memorizing like Souls games require.

To each his own I suppose.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 6, 2013 3:57:28 AM PST
Kin-foot says:
EVERY Playstation 3 can play PS1 games. Not every PS3 can play PS2 games.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 12, 2013 12:14:18 PM PDT
I just found this article: http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2013-02-18-witcher-3-dev-says-skyrims-story-and-quests-were-generic
looks like I am not the only one...

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 12, 2013 3:27:38 PM PDT
Joel H. says:
I found the witcher 2's story and quests a bit generic on ps3. Bit too invisible for my tastes.

Posted on Mar 12, 2013 10:50:13 PM PDT
kaori says:
haha I miss baldurs gate and champions of norrath ps2, those were fun days of co-op.
I dont know if ps3 actually has any of those type of games, unless you do PC gaming. I've see a few games like BG, but they were kinda mediocre at best blah. I tend to play on pc for a good rpg.

Ps3 is really a good system, free internet play as well, download free demos of games if you have a internet connection( just connect and make account thats it), thats another good way of testing out some games for ps3.

Posted on Mar 23, 2013 9:57:56 AM PDT
Spudkitty says:
Michelle, why not wait for the Xbox 720 or PS4? Both the X360 and PS3 are entering their final phase of life and will (probably) not be supported with new games after the end of the year. Plus servers will fade rapidly if you are going after achievements or plats.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 23, 2013 12:41:23 PM PDT
Sha Gojyo says:
no memory cards, it's all about the customized PC hard drives for PS3 and hopefully a custom HDD for PS4.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 11, 2013 11:24:52 AM PDT
Dawn M says:
No new current gen games after the end the year when next gen is slated to only start in November? What are you smoking? Personally I think we'll see support for the current gen for at least a year after the release of the PS4/720.

Posted on Apr 12, 2013 8:55:23 PM PDT
rkumono says:
One more good set of RPG suggestions are the Atelier series. The Arland trilogy of Atelier Rorona, Atelier Totori, and Atelier Meruru is really good, and the latest game, Atelier Ayesha isn't too bad. Like others have mentioned, 3D Dot Game Heroes is nice (though not my style--gives me a headache), Tales of Graces F is very good, Tales of Xillia comes out in August this year. If you played the Ar tonelico games on PS2, the third game in it's series, Ar Tonelico Qoga is on PS3 and is pretty good. White Knight Chronicles 2 (Includes WKC 1) is a good game, has a long story--but the online servers for the multiplayer aspect are gone. FPS and FPRPGs are available too, such as the Uncharted games and the Fallout games. Also has a lot of good simpler games online (I really enjoyed Journey) and some more complex games too. Heavy Rain is definitely a good one here, even if it's older. Ni no Kuni is a JRPG crossed with Pokémon. If you liked some aspects of the Pokémon games but wished there was more interactivity, that game is great. Has a bit of the Azure Dreams feel to it too.

So many RPGs now and coming. Disgaea 3 & 4 and Enchanted Arms are here now. Time and Eternity and Disgaea D2 come out this year. So many I can't even come out with a full list. Final Fantasy X/X-2 HD remake is coming, Kingdom Hearts 1.5 HD remake is coming. The Last of Us is coming this year too, Beyond Two Souls. Ico/Shadows of the Colossus collection is out, and The Last Guardian (if it ever actually is released) is in the making. Eternal Sonata, if you can find it, has been out a while.

To those saying wait for the next gen--you don't have to. There will be a lot of good games for those systems--there WILL BE. But there ARE a lot of good games out NOW for the current gen. If you like RPGs, a PS3 is a great investment. Get your games soon, though, because many are becoming rare.
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the PlayStation 3 forum

This discussion

Discussion in:  PlayStation 3 forum
Participants:  24
Total posts:  38
Initial post:  Feb 28, 2013
Latest post:  Jan 14, 2014

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 3 customers

Search Customer Discussions