Customer Discussions > PlayStation 3 forum

PlaystationPlus is a Rip Off!!!!

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 226 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Feb 12, 2012 10:36:30 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Aug 3, 2012 5:12:18 PM PDT
Casual Gamer says:
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]

Posted on Feb 12, 2012 10:57:51 PM PST
donna dias says:
Just think of it as a yearly rental service where you keep every previous game until you quit. I'd have bought The Simpsons arcade game this week, but it was free and i've already played through it like 5 times. Its kinda closer to Sega Channel in a lot of ways.

The first year of plus they gave away more than $50 of games that have no time limit, like Sam and Max, Stacking, and Wipeout HD. Those will never expire when you quit plus. Doesn't help the people who weren't subscribers at the time, but I feel like it was definitely worth it. I play through the free game almost every month, and I've probably saved $80 in discounts as well. Not worth it for everyone, but if you spend a lot of PSN anyway, you'll probably save money by having it in the end.

Posted on Feb 13, 2012 2:05:11 AM PST
Ronai Sanzer says:
for your 60 bucks you get hundreds of dollars worth of content but, yea it's a rip-off.

Posted on Feb 13, 2012 2:32:41 AM PST
I had psPlus for six months and here's my thoughts on it:

you get Qore for free (2.99 per episode or 24.99 per year)
free dlc (yeah most of it is junk a few goodies though)
free & early access to betas (sometimes exclusive betas so this is nice)
free games (like the psOne titles I love getting them free. plus other indie and older psn titles)
early access to full games
time based access to full gamesand more. overall it's not a rip off it's more for the consumer that buys a lot of psn titles and dlc. they get a huge savings. also the cloud storage for your save game files saved my butt when my ps3 Backwards compatable system died, turned out without cloud I'd have lost my save games for 12 games due to the "protection lock" on Bioware games among others. so it can be a handy service. for others I agree it's kinda on the wek side for games and dlc.

Posted on Feb 13, 2012 5:34:18 AM PST
Him says:
Ronai Sanzer says:
"for your 60 bucks you get hundreds of dollars worth of content but, yea it's a rip-off."

*That you don't get to keep should you cancel your PSN subscription*

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 13, 2012 7:33:00 AM PST
WeaKeN says:
You don't get to keep the free things you downloaded once your membership expires. Otherwise, people could just get a free trial and download all of the free stuff and keep it forever. If you download the discounted stuff, it's all yours. PS Plus is a good deal if you like to buy PSN games.

The Review Guy has some good points for it.

Posted on Feb 13, 2012 7:39:24 AM PST
Him says:
Sure, you keep the stuff you pay for. The post stated "for your $60 bucks you get hundreds of dollars worth of content...", to which I replied was misleading.

Posted on Feb 13, 2012 8:05:57 AM PST
John McClane says:
How is any of this "free"? You're PAYING for Plus.

Posted on Feb 13, 2012 8:35:21 AM PST
Him says:
Shh...that doesn't count, John.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 13, 2012 8:35:38 AM PST
better than paying for live...

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 13, 2012 8:46:07 AM PST
John McClane says:
I pay less for Live than PS3 fans pay for Plus.

Posted on Feb 13, 2012 9:22:23 AM PST
One thing this thread forgot to mention, any free psn+ dlc or game add-on is yours to keep, as well as dynamic themes and avatars.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 13, 2012 11:12:35 AM PST
It is the same price. 60 for each. With live you just get online. For the same price you get online, which is already free to everyone, PLUS free game downloads, themes, and classics. If anything Xbox live is a ripoff, seeing how it'll be free for anyone who downloads the demo, until the day the game comes out. It's absurd to charge for something your competitor does for free.

Posted on Feb 13, 2012 11:14:05 AM PST
Him says:
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]

Posted on Feb 13, 2012 11:17:57 AM PST
With plus I have 22 psn titles, 13 classics, and 15 minis all for free, and have saved about a little over $50 on discounted titles, and I still have 7 or 8 months left of plus. With A full game download of Farcry 2 coming later this month for plus members. I feel more then satisfied that it is worth what I paid. But like it was said, it is only worth buying if you use it. If you dont buy games off of psn, or only play cod games, don't buy it. I wouldn't pay for netlix, if I didnt have anything to stream it on, or pay for live if I didnt have any multiplayer games.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 13, 2012 11:19:24 AM PST
I play on both Live and PSN and have not had any problems in quality. And Live doesn't have anything over PSN. The only benefit I have is that I use my live account on my Windows Phone as well

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 13, 2012 11:20:11 AM PST

Posted on Feb 13, 2012 11:21:42 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Feb 13, 2012 11:23:07 AM PST
Him says:
Ever heard of crossgame chat, Dennis?

Hey Truth, to combat JBest's rampage about the 360 not streaming well, I'm going on an anti-PS3 rampage about not doing crossgame chat.

Posted on Feb 13, 2012 11:22:56 AM PST

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 13, 2012 11:48:00 AM PST
What is the significance of cross game chat that so many people go on about. When my friends talk, it is in the game I am playing. On live and psn. And so you are telling me paying 60 dollars to use crossgame chat, is worse then paying 60 dollars for free monthly game downloads?

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 13, 2012 11:49:34 AM PST
Again I have no problem joining my friends games. I can do so right from the xmb without having to start the game first. And from in game its as simple as hitting the playstation button and accepting the invite.

Posted on Feb 13, 2012 11:55:17 AM PST
Him says:
Yeah, I don't have to put Skyrim in my console and play it if I want to talk to my friend. I can continue Dark Souls while he plays Skyrim and we can talk.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 13, 2012 12:03:41 PM PST
Thats good if you like that sort of thing. But you see I have this thing called a cellphone and a bluetooth that I already pay for, why would I pay another 60 to have the convenience of doing it through my system? Also, they cut off all forms of voice for dark souls Crossgame, and ingame, as to not sully the game experience. So good try with that one.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 13, 2012 12:50:21 PM PST
Actually private chat works for dark souls. They didn't remove that from when I was playing it on the 360.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 13, 2012 2:35:56 PM PST
If you actually pay 60 for Live....you're doing it wrong....

As far as cross game chat...I like the convenience of it yes I can call someone on my cell phone and use my super cool bluetooth earpiece, but it is simpler to use my Turtlebeach headset I am already wearing and simply hit [invite to party]....add that to 360's game invite system which is significantly easier then the PS3 since it is built into Xbox live while PS3's is built into the game so it changes from game to game....and for 3 dollars a month it is more then worth it.

As for PSN....I have no issues with it....it works great for a free service...I can play online, download games and demo's and if they added cross game chat and a uniform game invite/join system I would be happy to pay the same I do for Live...
‹ Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  PlayStation 3 forum
Participants:  78
Total posts:  226
Initial post:  Feb 12, 2012
Latest post:  Oct 23, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 5 customers

Search Customer Discussions