Customer Discussions > PlayStation 3 forum

Widescreen Amazon Streaming on PS3?

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-19 of 19 posts in this discussion
In reply to an earlier post on Mar 24, 2014 6:58:39 PM PDT
Dan Grossman says:
SG-1 is also the reason I found my way to this thread. I know for a fact that the DVDs were in widescreen from at least as far back as Season 2, but Amazon seems to be offering only the fullscreen videos before Season 7. I searched through the Help to see if I could specify that I wanted WS instead of FS, but no such luck.

Posted on Mar 11, 2014 4:20:32 PM PDT
LC says:
stargate sg1 is doing this to me, its driving me crazy because i could have sworn i watched the first several episodes in widescreen and the dvds all come in wide screen

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 6, 2014 1:43:21 PM PST
Yeah, I tried that with Ratchet & Clank Future: Tools of Destruction, and it resulted in a weird bar at the bottom of the screen.

Posted on Mar 5, 2014 12:30:01 PM PST
Ben Vale says:
Just watching a movie and it has the same problem showing in 3:4 aspect ration. When it was still LoveFilm it displayed correctly. What has changed.

Posted on Jan 13, 2014 9:52:22 PM PST
Same issue. The picture is 16x9 but only displaying in the center portion, so there are black "bars" left, right, top and bottom. I can use the "zoom" feature on the TV, but of course this looks crummy.

Posted on Jan 11, 2014 7:24:12 AM PST
Theresa Yeh says:
I haven't try this when streaming, but have you try the on-screen mini menu? While playing the video, press the triangle button and choose "Screen Mode" (top fourth icon from right), keep tapping it to see if that will fix the problem.

Posted on Jan 7, 2014 4:20:29 AM PST
Avid Reader says:
We have a widescreen tv and the videos still show its a box completely around it making the viewing screen that much smaller. What is the solution to this?

Posted on Aug 27, 2012 5:01:35 AM PDT
diesel says:
would it maybe have something to do with internet speeds ?

Posted on Aug 26, 2012 1:01:27 AM PDT
Holly says:
I just got the streaming service for ps3. I don't have a widescreen tv, there is a box around every show i've tried. is there a way to get full screen? Thanks so much!

Posted on May 4, 2012 7:43:54 AM PDT
In any event, would just unchecking the options below 720p solve the problem?

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 26, 2012 4:56:39 PM PDT
GarionOrb says:
It actually will upscale some games. Bioshock 2, Shadow of the Colossus, COD4, are some examples, but there are lots more. With those I found unchecking 1080p/i resulted in a much sharper and colorful picture.

Posted on Apr 26, 2012 3:39:19 PM PDT
B. Malin says:
@GarionOrb - Not true. The PS3 doesn't upscale game video signals. While I don't know if NoPepperGames' suggestion will work, it won't cause any issues, though obviously don't set it to 1080p if your max res is 720p or you'll get no video output.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 24, 2012 1:51:45 PM PDT
GarionOrb says:
Don't do that. If you do, your PS3 won't downscale when it needs to, and it'll affect the picture quality of games and/or movies. Not everything is in 1080p, and forcing the PS3 to upscale will either result in an overly blurry picture or an automatic downscale to 480p.

Posted on Apr 24, 2012 1:45:52 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Apr 24, 2012 1:46:10 PM PDT
Go to your display settings and uncheck everything but 1080p.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 24, 2012 9:42:57 AM PDT
GarionOrb says:
Hmmm, that IS strange. For me, the aspect ratio is perfect 16:9 with no stretching or squishing. Check your TV settings when it goes to 4:3 to make sure your TV isn't switching on you (which can happen when PS3's change output format).

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 24, 2012 9:33:59 AM PDT
The interface itself shifts to 4:3. My PS3 is set to widescreen but when I start using Amazon it changes to a 4:3 format leaving the left and right 8th of the screen totally blank. When I press the PS button, the main menu appears but it has been squashed to force the 16:9 image into a 4:3 shape. When I quit Amazon the screen blinks a few times and then returns to a 16:9 format.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 24, 2012 6:51:26 AM PDT
GarionOrb says:
Are you talking about the interface being in 4:3 or the movie you were watching?

The Amazon app, just like Netflix or any other app, displays at whatever ratio your PS3 is set to. So if your PS3 is set to 4:3, then everything will run that way. If everything runs in widescreen, but your Amazon app goes to 4:3 when playing a movie, then it simply means you selected a movie or show that doesn't have a widescreen version.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 21, 2012 11:25:53 AM PDT
Elamarette says:
When I tried it the menus and hd shows filled the whole screen. Nothing was in 4:3 mode.

Initial post: Apr 21, 2012 8:43:50 AM PDT
I've activated my PS3 for Amazon instant streaming but the screen seems to be constrained to a 3:4 area of my widescreen TV. I can't seem to find a setting to get it to make use of the entire screen.

Is it not possible to get Amazon Streaming to make use of the full widescreen?
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the PlayStation 3 forum

This discussion

Discussion in:  PlayStation 3 forum
Participants:  14
Total posts:  19
Initial post:  Apr 21, 2012
Latest post:  Mar 24, 2014

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 3 customers

Search Customer Discussions