Automotive Deals HPCC Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis Enter for the chance to win front row seats to Barbra Streisand Water Sports
Customer Discussions > PlayStation 3 forum

Help ! I just bought a playstation 3 and need help !

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-23 of 23 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Apr 11, 2012 1:07:23 PM PDT
U-tech says:
I just bought a playstation 3 over the weekend and a few games and have had no problems. Yesterday I rented RESISTANCE 3 from Gamefly and it had to save to my playstation for over 3 hours to play the damn game. It said something about the software needed the newest update or something to that effect. Is this common with all playstation games, just rented games, or used games in general? Any helpful feedback would be appreciated !

Posted on Apr 11, 2012 1:48:24 PM PDT
elect Tron says:
I'm going to take a chance that you're not trolling, and let you know that no, it is not common with all Playstation 3 games. Many PS3 games have mandatory installs, but those usually take somewhere between 2-10 minutes and then you'll be up and ready to go. Resistance 3 was notorious for having several day 1 patches to fix some multiplayer bugs, but I never heard about it taking 3 hours.

Posted on Apr 11, 2012 2:05:50 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Apr 11, 2012 2:06:17 PM PDT
Xena's Bard says:
Congrats on your new PS3!!

Let me ask you if allowed your PS3 to update before you started playing? Consoles ship to the store and sit a while on the shelf. In the meantime there are updates released for the software that will need to be downloaded and installed once you boot it up. I am guessing that might be the issue.

meta Tron was spot on about Resistance 3's patches so I won't repeat what was said.

Just be sure to always allow your PS3 to download and install any system updates prior to playing your games. Good luck.

Posted on Apr 11, 2012 2:14:38 PM PDT
And though 3 hours is extreme, I have had some *very* long upgrades/installs for my PS3 games of an hour or more to download and then install. Is it possible you have a slow internet connection? That might be a contributing factor.

Posted on Apr 11, 2012 2:21:59 PM PDT
U-tech says:
Thanks for the feedback everybody! I have been enjoying my playstation and have had no problems with playing uncharted 1 or 2 that i bought at Best Buy. I guess Resistance just had a very long upgrade or maybe my wireless internet concetion was weak or something.

Posted on Apr 12, 2012 12:39:51 AM PDT
B. Dennis says:
you might want to play the first 2 resistances if you haven't played them, alot of story you will miss out on.

Posted on Apr 12, 2012 8:02:10 AM PDT
Spudkitty says:
If you are used to the speed of X360 updates, then PS3 updates will seem like they take forever ... but not 3 hours. There had to be something else going on there ...

Posted on Apr 12, 2012 11:02:39 AM PDT
Kin-foot says:
Resistance 3 was a great game and I do remember the initial install but it wasn't nearly that long for me. Maybe an 1 hr but I think it was even less.

Posted on Apr 12, 2012 11:20:22 AM PDT
Alex says:
Hi, can anyone tell me if the PS3 camera will work plugged into the usb on my tv as my PS3 is under the stair...I got a message saying that the camera was not connected properly? cheers Alex

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 12, 2012 11:23:05 AM PDT
elect Tron says:
Alex, the camera needs to be connected to the PS3, as it works directly with the PS3's hardware.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 13, 2012 11:38:42 AM PDT
Lagbolt says:
Yes. Most games require an update at some point. Developers release a game, then make fixes or add new items to your game via patches. It makes it better.

Posted on Apr 14, 2012 12:46:23 PM PDT
S. steele says:
First off, Game installations times vary depending on internet speed, you may ask why does my internet impact the installation of data that may be being installed by a disc on not on the internet, Well Its the amount of processor power the ps3 is using while the internet is connected for example, If your downloading 3 demos and one finishes and you install it while the other 2 demos are still downloading your bound to have a longer installation time then normal,

same thing applies for a patch being installed, I'm a 4 year ps3 user, So this is all I can say.

Posted on Apr 23, 2012 9:28:47 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Apr 23, 2012 9:29:13 PM PDT
yep, some updates are ridiculous on ps3. Before i had a ps3 i wanted to try gran turismo 5 out, we waited an hour and a half for the update(s) to complete. That was on 12mgb cable. another time I was drunk with some friends and we decided we were going to play ps3,(cant remember the game) but after waiting over half an hour, everyone was tired of waiting a called it a night. It worried me about getting one, but now that ive got one, none of the updates ive had to do have taken that long. Its should be said though, if you dont have a good internet connection, ps3 might not be worth it.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 24, 2012 6:09:00 AM PDT
Dude, please don't confuse the newbie...

Game installations -do not- depend on your internet speed, because they don't require any kind of network connection

Game updates do, since they are required to make usage of the online features of the games, like Multiplayer, LeaderBoards. DLC, etc -but- they are not necessary to start the Game

--

Bottom line, if you are having problems with the Installation of the Game, please return that disc and ask for a new one

But if you are having problems with the Updates of the game check your internet connection or just cancel them and play the Single Player Campaign, but be aware that these updates usually add patches that improve the gaming experience although they are not necessary to play

Posted on Apr 24, 2012 11:37:29 AM PDT
I work on ps3 systems, xbox systems, computers, ipods, etc. Just to give you a little background.

After working on tons of ps3 systems, I have realized that wireless connections on ps3 are horrible for doing updates. For some reason when using wireless, the ps3 does not lag during gameplay, but the updates take forever. I think the longest update that I have ever had was for battlefield 3 on my wired connection it took .5 hour. I have had some people tell me that it took them 3 or more hours on a wireless connection. If you have the option to connect a wire for updates, I would recommend it.

Posted on Apr 24, 2012 10:56:57 PM PDT
where did i say game intallations are affected by internet speed. second, some games are shipped broken/terrible and practically require updates. He wasnt complaining about game intallation time, but the time it takes to update. The information on the ps3 wireless connector is interesting though, im not sure how my friends are/were connected. Ive got it hardwired and havent had to wait long. Im curious to see so more info into this.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 25, 2012 2:25:21 PM PDT
Sometimes this is true, don't get aggravated. Just set for the upgrade before you go to bed and sleep on it. Tomorrow is another day. Just make sure you have optimum feed on your ethernet speed. I use DSL max with Att.

Posted on Apr 25, 2012 3:19:37 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Apr 25, 2012 3:19:59 PM PDT
Mike Snyder says:
I have noticed something odd about the PS3's updates though. It seems to take about 5 to 10 minutes to download and install a game's update, compared to around 5 to 10 seconds on the 360. Don't mistake this for bashing -- I've just wondered about why the PS3 game updates take so much longer.

Posted on Apr 27, 2012 12:28:05 PM PDT
I love the PS3 :D

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 27, 2012 12:33:33 PM PDT
It could be many different reasons why. Since we are talking about game updates an internet connection is involved, so internet speeds, developer server business, hard drive speeds, disc drive speeds, the size of the update. There is no real way to tell because there are way too many variables.

Posted on Apr 28, 2012 12:18:34 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on May 10, 2012 1:14:12 PM PDT
Sha Gojyo says:
it helps to buy a game after it launches, that way you won't have to download so many updates for it, which is why it takes so long. it doesn't help much to wait for the price of the game to go down after so many months it's been out, you would have all those months of updates to download.

Posted on May 9, 2012 3:04:59 AM PDT
lisatsunami says:
I just bought the Star Wars kinect Xbox & it took just as long to update the system firmware & then the 1.5 patch for Skyrim as those things take on my PS3. Several minutes each, not mere seconds. I only have 1 game so far, so not much of a sample size yet.

Posted on May 10, 2012 1:55:41 AM PDT
xbox firmware updates do take awhile sometimes, the update that switched to this new style dashboard was extra horrible. PS3 updates seem to be way bigger files on average though, which would account for the longer download times.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the PlayStation 3 forum

Discussion Replies Latest Post
how to play Japanese PS2 games on PS3 USA version 26 May 18, 2016
Widescreen Amazon Streaming on PS3? 21 Dec 12, 2014
Can you put PS 3 save files into PC? Can you use ps 3 save game with PC? For example if you have wwe 2k15 on ps 3 and you have save files and you also have wwe 2k15 on pc, can you use ps 3 save files from wwe 2k15 with wwe 2k15 pc? 2 Nov 25, 2014
Can you play ps 2 or ps 1 game on ps 3? How to play ps 2 or ps 1 game on ps 3? 5 Nov 8, 2014
120hz vs 60hz for gaming 37 Sep 19, 2014
How high will the PS3 get? 15 Feb 24, 2014
Who likes it more... 1 Feb 3, 2014
Dust 514 - free to play /in-game items for new recruits 0 Jan 30, 2014
HELP! My brand new ps3 freezes often. How normal is this? 51 Jan 21, 2014
Amazon price fluctuation? 10 Jan 15, 2014
I have a few questions please. 37 Jan 14, 2014
Lets be friends and play online. Whats your PSN ID? 711 Jun 27, 2013

This discussion

Discussion in:  PlayStation 3 forum
Participants:  19
Total posts:  23
Initial post:  Apr 11, 2012
Latest post:  May 10, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 1 customer

Search Customer Discussions