Customer Discussions > PlayStation 3 forum

God Of War IV and Syphon Filter 4 Reveals Rumored

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 26 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Jan 27, 2012 1:44:36 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Jan 27, 2012 1:45:44 PM PST
"PlayStation 3's robust catalog of exclusives could get an extra boost if new rumors about two yet-unannounced upcoming first party games are true.

Rumors about Syphon Filter 4 and God of War IV aren't exactly new in the realm of PlayStation. Word of a new Syphon Filter game for PlayStation 3 began making the rounds in 2009, and it was suggested that a Syphon Filter game might even be Vita-bound. And a retailer in New Zealand may have unintentionally given up God of War IV's existence back in November.

Now, fresh rumors are circulating about both games. Eurogamer recently pointed to an article on Sillegamer citing an issue of the magazine Play, which is published in the United Kingdom.

Play ran a piece called "10 Games That Will Be Announced This Year," in which Syphon Filter 4 and God of War IV are both mentioned. "As far as our spies tell us," Play reported, "Syphon Filter 4 will be announced and released during 2012 -- they're not often wrong either." The real surprise is who is purportedly developing Syphon Filter 4. SCE London Studio -- and not Sony Bend, which developed each and every Syphon Filter game up to this point -- is apparently the developer in charge.

God of War IV, on the other hand, is reportedly (and not surprisingly) coming from Sony Santa Monica Studio, the developer that made its name with the Kratos' franchise. "Sony Santa Monica's call for an online dev to join its ranks has many thinking the inevitable God of War IV will include online play," the magazine reports.

We've reached out to Sony reps for official comment, and will update when they get back to us. "

Source: http://ps3.ign.com/articles/121/1217116p1.html

...and the exclusives just keep on coming :)

Posted on Jan 30, 2012 7:58:11 AM PST
God of War IV? Just exactly what more could they do with the story? It's over! They ended it! As for Syphon Filter 4, who cares? The first 3 sucked, had horrible controls, bland graphics, and impossible difficulty! Why can't they come up with something new, instead of running good franchises into the ground? Before you know it, they'll have made God of War IX: Mount Olympus Nursing Home..."laughs" Battle as Kratos in the nursing home, and battle it out for revenge, because the Ares stole his bran! Lame!

Posted on Jan 30, 2012 8:04:06 AM PST
Him says:
Yay, more sequels.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 30, 2012 8:21:15 AM PST
Derek says:
Syphon Filter 1 -3 of PS1 are classics, and when they came out, were great games. Syphon Filter Omega Strain for PS2 was terrible. Then two more games came out on PSP, and in my opinion are in the top 10 best games for the PSP. It has not had a graphical update in years. I am excited to see what they can do on PS3. It has a lot of potential.

Posted on Jan 30, 2012 9:29:59 AM PST
Well according to the playstation blog, there was an image of kratos being blurred from santa monica studios.
http://blog.us.playstation.com/2012/01/24/tour-the-tester-3-winners-future-workplace-santa-monica-studio/

Speculations are that is a god of war 4 image. Otherwise why would they blur it out? But then again, maybe there wont be a god of war 4. Kratos survives and maybe the story is regarding him saving the world or something.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 30, 2012 1:05:27 PM PST
M. Keegan says:
Wow. You sound like PS3 hater or just pretty ignorant. Come up with something new? Sony had been leading the pack with new IPs this generation. They been doing the least in running anything in the ground. Uncharted, Modnation Racers, LittleBIGPlanet, Resistance, Fat Princess, Infamous, Pixeljunk games, Flower, and countless others are new IPs made this generation.

There was only one new God of War game on the PS3 and zero Syphon Filter for at least 5 years. Running it in the ground is at the least making a new game every two years. Besides that, the Syphon Filter titles have been good, especially the PSP titles. They were amazing and was deserving of the great scores they received.

Your comment was very foolish and shows your ignorance.

Posted on Jan 30, 2012 4:21:41 PM PST
John McClane says:
I'm really looking forward to these great games.

Posted on Jan 30, 2012 5:37:09 PM PST
V. Gomes says:
they left God of War III w/ an open ending. I am sure something will come out of it and will be great

Posted on Jan 31, 2012 7:58:18 AM PST
I love GoW but please PLEASE let the Syphon Filter rumors be true. I still remember playing the first one and setting people on fire with the air taser...

Posted on Jan 31, 2012 9:51:48 AM PST
I half way agree with Kara Eardly. I certainly don't agree that Sony needs to "come up with something new" as they have released plenty of quality exclusives this gen. For my money, Uncharted and Little Big Planet are some of the best new IP's this gen. The only one I would say competes with them is Gears of War. I do, however, feel that the God of War series in particular is not exactly fresh at this point. They are well designed and fun games, but to me it seems as if it is time for a significant change in gameplay (if not plot) in order to keep those games fresh. As for Syphon Filter, I haven't played a game in that series since the PS1, so I'm curious to see how it is. I don't have huge anticipation for it, but I will keep an eye on it and see if I should pick it up.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 1, 2012 11:52:45 AM PST
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]

Posted on Feb 6, 2012 4:44:46 AM PST
Cats Go Nyan says:
I still remember playing the first Syphon Filter. Good days. :D

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 6, 2012 5:29:21 AM PST
M. Keegan says:
Yeah because games like Loco Roco and Patapon are more of the same. Oh and games like Valyria Chronicles 2, Crisis Core, GOW: Chains of Olympus, the Syphon Filter PSP titles, Jeanna D'Arc, and other are not good examples of what gamers would think are good games, right? Ha! Get out of here with your ridiculous bias hatred. Your comment is full of mediocrity. You can't even prove your comment but I (as I did) can prove yours wrong. You do realize the PSP was a success but your going to call it a flop? Yeah, that "IS" being ignorant!

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 6, 2012 5:30:56 AM PST
Sony and affiliates have been innovating for a while already, and there is still more to come like The Last of US or The Last Guardian

I can understand hate and ignorance, but stupidity?

Posted on Feb 6, 2012 7:24:21 PM PST
badazzps says:
I would love to see a God of War 4. I know they're pushing it with so many games , but I've enjoyed every single one of them, and I'm ready for some more. Just like I'm ready for Uncharted 4, Resistance 4, Killzone 4, etc... wherever they're ready. I don't see anyone complaining about 5 Halo games out there.

Posted on Feb 6, 2012 7:27:32 PM PST
badazzps says:
Actually yeah, there is some complaining about another Halo game, but so what. If people like them, why not release more. If you don't like them, just look the other way.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 6, 2012 10:00:30 PM PST
Yay! A success by today's standards is over 500,000 units sold in the US since it first came out? Compared to Nintendo...blah read this if you don't believe me...http://www.examiner.com/video-games-in-jersey-city/10-reasons-the-psp-failed-and-what-sony-can-do-to-fix-it

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 6, 2012 10:01:44 PM PST
well no matter what, it's all just a matter of opinion! :p

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 7, 2012 2:28:43 AM PST
M. Keegan says:
No, the PSP has been profitable plain and simple. No handheld has ever taken a piece of the marketshare from Nintendo or found its own place in the handheld market. You should come up with something better than a half rate website with someone's poor reasons. Durability reason? It didnt' sale well because of that? Batter life? A better that is no worse than the 3DS but for some reason the 3DS sales well. Constant redesigns? Oh like the DSLite, DSi, and DSXL that Nintendo has done. 3rd party support? What like Square Enix who equally supported the PSP as they did with the DS or Capcom which had the biggest handheld franchise Monster Hunter on the PSP.

That article is pathetic. The PSP succeeded were no other handheld competitor ever has. Like I said, it was a profitable handheld and it has many great games. Thinking otherwise is being ignorant or bias.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 7, 2012 11:50:00 AM PST
they're not milking the franchise though. GoW came out in 05', GoW2 came out in 07', and GoW3' in 2010. it's been 2 years, and there hasn't even been an official announcement for GoW4. why wouldn't they make a sequel to a super popular game? it wouldn't make any sense, business-wise.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 7, 2012 1:00:22 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Feb 7, 2012 1:01:05 PM PST
Depends what you mean by "milking the franchise." I agree that Sony is not releasing a new GOW game every year or any of those typical "milking strategies." They have not, however, significantly improved the gameplay or controls from the first game, and in that sense they are milking the franchise. All three GOW games (and the PSP titles as well) have controlled virtually identically, had pretty much the same enemies and environmental puzzles, and had the same combat system. I think the original GOW was a very good game, and the others are relatively well made. I don't really have any desire to play another GOW game, though, unless they show me something that looks like I haven't already played it. In that sense, they are definitely milking the franchise.

Posted on Feb 7, 2012 2:53:35 PM PST
Nobody says:
That's crazy how people have turned on the GOW franchise after 3 came out.

Posted on Feb 7, 2012 3:10:10 PM PST
John Lemon says:
GOW 3 has the best graphics of any game for the current consoles. It also has very good sound. I'm playing it again now that I bought a new 1K sound system. It is noticeably better. It even supports 7.1.

Most games are the same as 10 years ago just have better graphics.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 8, 2012 6:48:19 AM PST
M. Keegan says:
Disagree. How much change do you expect? The gameplay is essentially the same because otherwise it wouldn't be God of War. Look at Halo, there has been a Halo each year for the past 4 years but the gameplay is the same otherwise it would alienate fans and wouldnt be Halo. That is more like milking when you not only come out with a franchise often but have spin-offs like Halo Wars. Mario is milked too and it doesn't matter if the gameplay at all changes. There is how many Mario spin-offs? There is been only God of War title on the PS3 and its an old franchise. Essentially what your saying is even Gears of War is milked for having 3 games in the same generation released. I am more surprised a God of War 4 hasn't yet been out considering how major the franchise is.

Currently Call of Duty, Assassin's Creed, Halo, and Mario are the most milked titles. Is that bad? No but its bad considering God of War is when it is not.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 8, 2012 9:09:03 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Feb 8, 2012 9:10:25 AM PST
You certainly are entiteld to your opinion. The distinction I would draw, and this is obviously just my personal opinion, is I genuinely don't think that God of War was ever as exciting a franchise to begin with as Mario, Halo, Uncharted, etc. Not to mention, the substantial difference with Mario is that the franchise has done so many different things that it really is not comparable. Mario Kart is a really enjoyable game in its own right that has no similarity whatsoever to the flagship titles in the Mario franchise. the differences between the original SMB, Mario Kart, and Super Mario Galaxy should tell you everything you need to know about how to make sure that you consistently release varied and high quality games. If the God of War series did stuff like that (or even made the kind of changes that Assassin's Creed does in terms of trying and including new gameplay elements with every new version or telling a compelling story that I genuinely want to see the end of) I would not have the same criticisms.
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the PlayStation 3 forum

Discussion Replies Latest Post
Widescreen Amazon Streaming on PS3? 21 Dec 12, 2014
Can you put PS 3 save files into PC? Can you use ps 3 save game with PC? For example if you have wwe 2k15 on ps 3 and you have save files and you also have wwe 2k15 on pc, can you use ps 3 save files from wwe 2k15 with wwe 2k15 pc? 2 Nov 25, 2014
Can you play ps 2 or ps 1 game on ps 3? How to play ps 2 or ps 1 game on ps 3? 5 Nov 8, 2014
120hz vs 60hz for gaming 37 Sep 19, 2014
how to play Japanese PS2 games on PS3 USA version 25 Aug 22, 2014
How high will the PS3 get? 15 Feb 24, 2014
Who likes it more... 1 Feb 3, 2014
Dust 514 - free to play /in-game items for new recruits 0 Jan 30, 2014
HELP! My brand new ps3 freezes often. How normal is this? 51 Jan 21, 2014
Amazon price fluctuation? 10 Jan 15, 2014
I have a few questions please. 37 Jan 14, 2014
Lets be friends and play online. Whats your PSN ID? 711 Jun 27, 2013

This discussion

Discussion in:  PlayStation 3 forum
Participants:  16
Total posts:  26
Initial post:  Jan 27, 2012
Latest post:  Feb 8, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 3 customers

Search Customer Discussions