Your Garage botysf16 Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it CaseLangVeirs Fire TV Stick Subscribe & Save Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer roadies roadies roadies  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Segway miniPro STEM
Customer Discussions > PlayStation 3 forum

PS3 freezing problems...

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 55 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Jul 3, 2011 1:43:09 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jul 3, 2011 1:43:57 PM PDT
thewindwaker says:
So, one day I had the brilliant idea of linking my PS3 up to a buddy's PSN account so I could a download a game that he wanted to share.

Sounds like a great deal, right? Well, after the game downloaded, I tried to play it. The system went to a black screen as usual, but... the game never loaded. Perplexed, I tried to play some other games and demos that I had already played before. None of those worked either.

So, with the knowledge that my PSN games no longer function, I hoped and prayed that at LEAST my games on disc would still work. Well, they work fine... kind of. I can play them, but when I hit the Home button, the system locks up before the XMB can even load the icons, and upon a reset of the system, the disc icon no longer displays until I pull the game out and put it back in.

And that's the dilemma I now find myself in. I can still play games on disc, but not being able to use the rest of the PS3's functions is beginning to get tiresome. And after doing some extensive Google searches and finding nothing about this particular issue, I figured I'd ask you all about this before I contact Sony's customer support. So... any ideas what I could do?

Posted on Jul 3, 2011 2:28:18 PM PDT
Zeus Carver says:
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]

Posted on Jul 3, 2011 2:31:07 PM PDT
He doesn't want a RROD 360. Anyways what is the model of you ps3 and how old is it?

Posted on Jul 3, 2011 2:36:06 PM PDT
Zeus Carver says:
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]

Posted on Jul 3, 2011 2:57:29 PM PDT
Well, good thing from how he described his problems he doesn't have the YLOD. Cry more Xbox

Posted on Jul 3, 2011 3:05:40 PM PDT
Zeus Carver says:
If he keeps using his broken PS3 he will get it eventually.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 3, 2011 3:43:32 PM PDT
thewindwaker says:
@Michael P. McFadden:
My PS3 is an older fat 160GB model, which I thought was more stable than the slims... guess I'm wrong.

@B. McKinley:
Thankfully it's not a Yellow Light of Death, at least I can still play retail games off a disc. Honestly, if my PS3 were to die I'd just get another PS3. I already have a large library of PS3 games built up that I enjoy playing, and I don't really want to get into buying yet another console with a whole new set of games to get... I couldn't afford that...

Even so, I do plan on getting a 360 at some point, just not this console generation.

Posted on Jul 3, 2011 9:50:20 PM PDT
download the latest firmware from the xmb or the playstation.com web site and reinstall it just make sure you transfer your game saves on a jump drive first so you can reinstall them back onto the ps3 later

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 4, 2011 8:14:26 PM PDT
thewindwaker says:
I already downloaded the latest firmware yesterday, which didn't change anything.

I guess I'll have to back up the hard drive and try a system restore... kind of a hassle, but it's better than sending it in to Sony. Don't they charge $150 for repairs?

Posted on Jul 5, 2011 3:33:38 AM PDT
Zeus Carver says:
$150 for the fatties. Do yourself a favor and buy a slim instead. Thats what I should have done.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 5, 2011 5:34:02 AM PDT
Him says:
"Even so, I do plan on getting a 360 at some point, just not this console generation."

That's like saying you'll eventually get a PS3, just not this console generation...it really doesn't make sense since the 360 won't be included in the next generation.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 5, 2011 9:46:15 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jul 5, 2011 9:46:32 AM PDT
J Lamberg says:
I think that's kind of the point. Kinda like picking up an SNES on the cheap to enjoy some classics.

Posted on Jul 5, 2011 1:09:47 PM PDT
Did your friend use a jailbroken firmware on the same PS3 where he has that PSN account? I don't know if there's any truth to it, but I had heard a rumor Sony was detecting who had used unofficial firmware and was bricking consoles used to log in with the blacklisted account. (Again, this may be totally false. I don't know.) See if deleting the local user account that you'd attached to your friend's PSN helps.

Posted on Jul 6, 2011 8:36:25 AM PDT
deactivate and reactivate the system

Posted on Jul 7, 2011 2:26:52 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jul 7, 2011 2:27:41 PM PDT
thewindwaker says:
Alright, so after taking some time to actually think about what was going wrong with my PS3... I fixed the problem!

I realized that the only problem the PS3 was having trouble loading games, which means that the issue had to be based around the PS3's file system somehow screwing up. Upon learning this, I simply googled "PS3 file system error" and found out how to access a hidden debug menu on the PS3.

All I had to do was hold down the little line icon next to the power button as I started up the system until I heard two beeps, which brought me to the debug menu. From there I chose "restore file system" and... viola, problem solved! Everything works as good as new.

So, that's how you fix this problem, in case anyone ever needs to know this. If any of you run into anyone with a problem like this, now you know what to tell them!

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 7, 2011 2:32:58 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jul 7, 2011 2:34:10 PM PDT
thewindwaker says:
How doesn't that make sense? What I mean is I'll wait until the next consoles are out, and by then Xbox 360's should be quite cheap, as stores will be putting them on clearance to make room for the new consoles. That's what I did for the N64, Gamecube, etc., and I see no reason why it would be different for the Xbox 360.

Edit: Oh, hey, look at that. Jill Lamberg up there already explained my point!

Posted on Nov 26, 2011 11:13:16 AM PST
any answers on how to fix nfs the run for ps3 freezes during the game

Posted on Nov 26, 2011 12:34:25 PM PST
Descepticon says:
Not a fanboy comment, but I share my profile between 3 different xbox 360's no prob. Just need to be logged into my gamertag. Glad you posted this I won't try this with my PSN account.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 26, 2011 10:18:14 PM PST
You could back u your saves, reformat your hard drive totally to maybe remove any traces of what was tried.

Posted on Nov 27, 2011 11:58:49 AM PST
J. Ellis says:
360 sucks

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 27, 2011 2:01:06 PM PST
Wait a minute thewindwaker.... you thought the fats were more stable than the slims???? Who the hell told you that one?

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 28, 2011 4:49:06 PM PST
Sha Gojyo says:
>>>Thankfully it's not a Yellow Light of Death, at least I can still play retail games off a disc. Honestly, if my PS3 were to die I'd just get another PS3. I already have a large library of PS3 games built up that I enjoy playing, and I don't really want to get into buying yet another console with a whole new set of games to get... I couldn't afford that...<<<

B.mckinley failed to mention, that you can purchase a 2 year extended warranty for the PS3 system at the PSN store for only $60 ($44 for PSN+ members), that way you won't have to worry about spending "$150 repair bill" or buying a brand new system for that matter and the PS3 slims are alot less chance to get a YLOD, the only bad thing is that the slims can't play PS2 games, but right now they are adding PS2 games on PSN store to download, if you have some of the PS2 games already on disc that are on the PSN store list, i'm sure you can play them on the disc then.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 28, 2011 4:59:10 PM PST
Okay.... you make it sound like all Fats CAN play PS2 games... that's not true either.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 28, 2011 5:06:49 PM PST
Sha Gojyo says:
>>>you make it sound like all Fats CAN play PS2 games... that's not true either.<<<

with the right hard drive, yes.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 28, 2011 5:14:35 PM PST
The release models had full ps2 ability. A couple other models used some emulation with less hw
‹ Previous 1 2 3 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the PlayStation 3 forum

Discussion Replies Latest Post
how to play Japanese PS2 games on PS3 USA version 26 May 18, 2016
Widescreen Amazon Streaming on PS3? 21 Dec 12, 2014
Can you put PS 3 save files into PC? Can you use ps 3 save game with PC? For example if you have wwe 2k15 on ps 3 and you have save files and you also have wwe 2k15 on pc, can you use ps 3 save files from wwe 2k15 with wwe 2k15 pc? 2 Nov 25, 2014
Can you play ps 2 or ps 1 game on ps 3? How to play ps 2 or ps 1 game on ps 3? 5 Nov 8, 2014
120hz vs 60hz for gaming 37 Sep 19, 2014
How high will the PS3 get? 15 Feb 24, 2014
Who likes it more... 1 Feb 3, 2014
Dust 514 - free to play /in-game items for new recruits 0 Jan 30, 2014
HELP! My brand new ps3 freezes often. How normal is this? 51 Jan 21, 2014
Amazon price fluctuation? 10 Jan 15, 2014
I have a few questions please. 37 Jan 14, 2014
Lets be friends and play online. Whats your PSN ID? 711 Jun 27, 2013

This discussion

Discussion in:  PlayStation 3 forum
Participants:  16
Total posts:  55
Initial post:  Jul 3, 2011
Latest post:  Nov 28, 2011

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 4 customers

Search Customer Discussions