Customer Discussions > PlayStation 3 forum

How do I get surround sound on my PS3?

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 37 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Sep 18, 2009 11:07:51 AM PDT
GT says:
I have a JVC Rx 6020vbk receiver for surround sound. Also I have a 42 Inch Dynex Plasma TV and I am wondering if any1 can help me and explain on how I can connect my surround sound to go through my PS3.

Posted on Sep 18, 2009 11:50:08 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Sep 18, 2009 12:48:17 PM PDT
I'm not sure what inputs your receiver has, but here goes. The PS3 can output surround sound in one of two ways, via HDMI (up to 7.1 surround possible) or via optical cable (5.1 surround only). I have my video output going through an HDMI cable from the PS3 to my TV, and I have my audio set to an optical cable going from my PS3 to my receiver. This works perfectly for me.

If your receiver and TV both have HDMI inputs, you can only use a HDMI from your PS3 to a receiver, and another HDMI from your receiver to your TV. One problem this presents though...some PS3's have very bad issues with an audio/video delay by hooking it up like this. Not sure why. If your receiver can compensate for this, you'll be okay though.

However you choose to do it, be sure you set the audio and video settings on the PS3 appropriately.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 18, 2009 12:05:23 PM PDT
D_Strasse says:
just wanted to add Garion, that I don't think that the delay is due to the PS3 but rather the reciever.

Also, you can buy a component cable that is compatible with the PS3. That would be option 3 though I recommend in this order:

1) the HDMI (best quality)
2) optical cable (nice and easy).

Posted on Sep 18, 2009 12:33:29 PM PDT
J. Eaker says:
It is the reciever not the PS3 and you can also use your regular rca jacks to ur receiver and use hdmi for picture to tv. again not the best but works. just got to sound settings in playstation and output through rca instead of hdmi

Posted on Sep 18, 2009 12:36:55 PM PDT
GT says:
ok thank you so much :)

Posted on Sep 18, 2009 12:49:02 PM PDT
Component or regular rca cables can do stereo surround sound, but not 5.1 surround.

Posted on Sep 18, 2009 12:56:24 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Sep 18, 2009 12:58:16 PM PDT
GT says:
Well I don't know how to plug them in I am trying to find a picture on how the back of my receiver looks and I cant find one.

I just don't get what I need to plug in and where they go, also I don't know what inputs I need or what to change. Basically it has a DVD, and other buttons but IDK what to do and I am so lost.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 18, 2009 12:59:56 PM PDT
D_Strasse says:
Ah you're right, I was thinking analog component audio. Don't think they make a compatible cable for the PS3. Only component video.

Posted on Sep 18, 2009 3:10:09 PM PDT
BBP says:
Your receiver will most definitely have an optical in jack (according to the JVC product page). Use that. Optical jacks have been around for a very long time.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 22, 2009 8:19:34 AM PDT
Elamarette says:
Looking at the manual on the JVC product page you'll need page 7. Under where it says "Digital Connections." You'll want to use the digital optical cable in the "Digital 2" input labeled "CD." Run the optical cable from the ps3 to this CD input on the receiver (Don't forget to remove the plastic plug that they put there to protect the optical input).

Then set the receiver to the input by pressing the "CD" button on the front panel or the remote. On your PS3 under Settings > Sound Settings > Audio Output Settings, make sure "Optical Digital" is selected.

Posted on Sep 22, 2009 11:13:25 AM PDT
GT says:
Do I need to buy a digital optical cable? Or should it come with one? Also where do I plug this into my PS3? I am looking at this cable and I do not see a port for this on my PS3

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 22, 2009 12:20:55 PM PDT
NJer says:
PS3 does not come with an optical cable. The cable is cheap, you can find one under a dollar on http://amazon.com.

Posted on Sep 22, 2009 12:27:05 PM PDT
Hello,
I have a Pioneer Elite THX Select Model VSX-84TXSI A/V receiver. I run the HDMI out of the PS3 into the receiver. Then I run a HDMI cable out of the receiver into my Sharp Aquos 32 inch 1080P TV. I have had no problems with this set up. My Dish Network HDTV receiver and my X-Box Elite also run into receiver and out of the receiver via the same HDMI cable that the PS3 uses. In order for the set up to work I have to assign each item to different inputs on the A/V Receiver and assign them as HDMI. I admit this is a drawn out process because I have to assign the name (PS3, Sat., & 360 Elite) to which input it's in on the front of the receiver and on the window on the remote. Possibly your receiver may have to go through this same process. My receiver is 7.1 and PS3 comes up PCM audio. PS3 won't do Bitstream True HD 7.1 audio on Blu-Ray but will do the 7.1 PCM on the games. Perhaps you can get on the Internet and go to the web site of your A/V receiver and go to it's manual section and it can explain how to program your receiver to produce 5.1 or 7.1 surround sound. Good luck and I hope this helps. Sincerely, Lt. Robert T. Jeffcoat, Sr.

Posted on Sep 22, 2009 12:31:13 PM PDT
Best Buy will tell you for $129...

"wutt a bahgain".

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 22, 2009 2:38:16 PM PDT
Elamarette says:
You need to buy an optical cable.

The back of the ps3 is labeled look for the port that says "Digital Out (optical)"

Posted on Sep 23, 2009 7:40:14 AM PDT
GT says:
Ok so I bought the cable, changed my sound settings to my ps3. Only thing is how do I know what to select from the choices for sound. I have tried a few and my speakers just a humm, no sound or anything and I know my speakers are in good shape. If anyone knows after I switch it to my optical cord what to do from there please let me know thanks.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 23, 2009 11:35:14 AM PDT
Elamarette says:
Ok, assuming your PS3 sound is set to Optical Digital and that the cable is plugged into the input labeled "Digital 2, CD" on the back of your receiver, make sure you push the CD button on the front of the receiver or receiver remote to switch to that input.

If it is set to CD and you still don't hear anything look for the button on the front of the receiver that says "Input Digital" and press that.

I have a different model JVC receiver, but remember these (Input Analog/Input Digital) buttons giving me trouble in the past because the manual didn't really mention it very clearly. Again make sure you press "Input Digital" NOT "Input Analog" while your receiver is set to the CD input.

If it still doesn't work after that, I'm not sure what you need to do.

Goodluck

Posted on Sep 23, 2009 2:03:21 PM PDT
Tenshin says:
There are so many options for the audio to be passed from the ps3 to the receiver when you select the Optical Audio, the must standard to select are:
Dolby Digital 5.1
DTS
and something that ends at 44hrz

You will have sorround sound if you select those options.
Be sure that you have selected the correct audio channel, so there is sound.
Now whit the firmware 3.0/3.1 you can multi out! so choose that and your TV shall provide audio too, if the TV sounds but the receiver doesnt sound then double check your configuration again, your are doing something wrong.
I have this multi out so I can hear from my receiver when set to TV in stereo (since its plugged through normal rca cable) and in the Optical cable channel (that happens to be Video2 in my HomeTheater) and from there I can hear the ps3 in Dolby Digital or DTS at 5.1 channels.

Posted on Sep 24, 2009 12:03:19 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Sep 24, 2009 11:35:42 AM PDT
® says:
three ways to the receiver (for surround sound)

1 the standard digital out to receiver (and hdmi to TV)
2. hdmi to receiver if you have one that can process hdmi sound. (then hdmi to TV from receiver)
3. hdmi to the tv and then optial digital out to the receiver from tv. (most HDTV have digital out)
the 3rd option is one of the best in reducing cables. My PS3, and hd-dvd send the sound to the tv and the tv send the sound to the receiver with one cable. The only problem with this is you don't get the HD sound of Dobly HD lossless, that can only happen via #2.

At all time be aware of bitstream and DCM, one will toast your speakers or receiver, I forgot which one. Then you got to match your ps3 audio out setting either digital out or hdmi or the stero multi-out.

Posted on Sep 24, 2009 1:52:11 AM PDT
Can the PS3 output Dolby Pro-Logic II over stereo RCA cables from the AV Multi-Out?

Posted on Sep 24, 2009 5:56:47 AM PDT
GT says:
I found out that with my receiver that ether the out put audio cable area doesn't work or I did something wrong, but I did get this to work, I was using my s cables connected from my ps3 to my receiver and I got my HDMI cord plugged in from my Ps3 to Tv. I am going to return that out put cord for a refund, but I got it to work with my s cables. Thank you all who helped. I appreciate it and thanks for all the input and feedback.

Posted on Sep 24, 2009 11:34:41 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Sep 26, 2009 12:09:23 PM PDT
® says:
MAster of Unlocking,

No, av multi-out is stereo. but if you have some receiver that can fake it, but that is still really stereo.

Gt,
Then for sound, I think you pick AV multi out under the PS3 audio setting. If you got a receiver that can't except optical digital out, then it is no good at all. If you step on the optical cable sometime it will break since it is fiber optic plastic. You can always tell if you plug it into your ps3 and look at the other end if it has a red light before plugging it into your receiver. If you have a stereo receiver with no optical or coax and the newer hdmi then you might want to upgrade your receiver.

So my setup I pick the hdmi audio option under the PS3. Before I used the digital out (optical).

Posted on Sep 24, 2009 1:43:39 PM PDT
T. Hiegel says:
Need help with my sound problem, similar to above, but I am unable to follow it all. All I want to do is play my PS3 games utilizing my speakers, which are nicely connected by USB. I have my PS3 Slim to my 25" LCD HDTV which I am using as my monitor, using HDMI. Games played on PS3 come only thru the monitor's "cheap sound" speakers. Everything else, PC games etc, use the great speakers. How do I get my PS3 games to come thru the speakers? This is all new stuff to me.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 24, 2009 2:48:53 PM PDT
Really? That sucks. I only have the equipment to decode PLII. You'd think the PS3 could encode old-fashioned PLII. I guess I'll have to put off buying a PS3 until I upgrade my home theater first.

Posted on Sep 26, 2009 12:15:27 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Sep 26, 2009 12:24:33 PM PDT
® says:
Master of Unlocking,

PS3 will can send Dobly Pro-Logic II via Digital out (optic cable) and Dobly Pro-Logic II and the HD sound lossless via HDMI. You just need a reciever that has the inputs and decoders.

You should get the PS3 before getting a home theater setup, then you who what you want. I played the PS1 and PS2 on stereo, then decided my PS2 for DVD movies needed surround back in the days. I got the towers first then some satellite in the back later. Then finally a woofer and a center. You can do that all in one swoop also and Polk Audio and Onkoyo are cheaper and sounds good.
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the PlayStation 3 forum

Discussion Replies Latest Post
Widescreen Amazon Streaming on PS3? 21 6 days ago
Can you put PS 3 save files into PC? Can you use ps 3 save game with PC? For example if you have wwe 2k15 on ps 3 and you have save files and you also have wwe 2k15 on pc, can you use ps 3 save files from wwe 2k15 with wwe 2k15 pc? 2 23 days ago
Can you play ps 2 or ps 1 game on ps 3? How to play ps 2 or ps 1 game on ps 3? 5 Nov 8, 2014
120hz vs 60hz for gaming 37 Sep 19, 2014
how to play Japanese PS2 games on PS3 USA version 25 Aug 22, 2014
How high will the PS3 get? 15 Feb 24, 2014
Who likes it more... 1 Feb 3, 2014
Dust 514 - free to play /in-game items for new recruits 0 Jan 30, 2014
HELP! My brand new ps3 freezes often. How normal is this? 51 Jan 21, 2014
Amazon price fluctuation? 10 Jan 15, 2014
I have a few questions please. 37 Jan 14, 2014
Lets be friends and play online. Whats your PSN ID? 711 Jun 27, 2013

This discussion

Discussion in:  PlayStation 3 forum
Participants:  19
Total posts:  37
Initial post:  Sep 18, 2009
Latest post:  Oct 1, 2009

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 7 customers

Search Customer Discussions