Best Books of the Month Shop Men's Shoes Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon $5 Albums All-New Amazon Fire TV Grocery Amazon Gift Card Offer jrscwrld jrscwrld jrscwrld  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 Kindle Voyage AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Fall Arrivals in Amazon Outdoor Clothing STEM Toys & Games
Customer Discussions > Politics forum

Malcolm X or Martin Luther King...Who do you admire the most?

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 62 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Feb 2, 2013 2:43:21 PM PST
neonpisces says:
I am assuming a premise that Malcolm and MLK are mutually exclusive. Certainly at the time, that's the way they were perceived.

Speaking as a white man, in conversations with other white men, everyone respects Martin Luther King. He spoke to the better angels of our nature.

However, we understand Malcolm X.

In my experience, anyone who has read his The Autobiography of Malcolm X gets him,...regardless of political persuasion.

What say you?

Why prefer one over the other?

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 2, 2013 2:44:41 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Feb 2, 2013 3:00:10 PM PST
nameinuse says:
That I'm going to have to read The Autobiography of Malcolm X first.

The public perception is of course Malcolm X was more threatening and overtly hostile than MLK.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 2, 2013 2:47:24 PM PST
Wulfwig Fox says:
There were two quotes - one each by those two - at the end of Spike Lee's 'Do the Right Thing'.

MLK - Violence as a way of achieving racial justice is both impractical and immoral. It is a descending spiral ending in destruction for all. The old law of an eye for an eye leaves everybody blind. It is immoral because it seeks to humiliate the opponent rather than win his understanding: it seeks to annihilate rather than convert. Violence is immoral because it thrives on hatred rather than love. It destroys community and makes brotherhood impossible. It leaves society in monologue rather than dialogue. Violence ends up defeating itself. It creates bitterness in the survivors and brutality in the destroyers.

MX - I think there are plenty of good people in America, but there are also plenty of bad people in America and the bad ones are the ones who seem to have all the power and be in these positions to block things that you and I need. Because this is the situation, you and I have to preserve the right to do what is necessary to bring an end to that situation, and it doesn't mean that I advocate violence, but at the same time I am not against using violence in self-defense. I don't even call it violence when it's self-defense, I call it intelligence.

It was an interesting and thought-provoking juxtaposition.

Posted on Feb 2, 2013 2:52:07 PM PST

Posted on Feb 2, 2013 2:53:29 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Feb 2, 2013 2:54:27 PM PST
shopper1 says:
Neither. Actually, I admire a person who can "stick to their guns" and speak from their true feelings more than anything else. Both seemed to eventually degenerate into peaceniks because it was a more popular way to be.

Posted on Feb 2, 2013 2:54:26 PM PST
MTK says:
Looking forward to "Coretta & Betty" this evening on Lifetime this evening. Angela Bassett is gonna be great i bet. Word out to anyone innarested in seeing the lives of the women behind these extraordinary men.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 2, 2013 2:56:18 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Feb 2, 2013 2:57:48 PM PST
nameinuse says:
Okay....the fact you even know what's showing on Lifetime...I'm going to have to pull your man card.;o)

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 2, 2013 2:58:54 PM PST
MTK says:
*holding man card tight* Do not judge me by the commercials I am powerless to avoid!

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 2, 2013 3:03:11 PM PST
neonpisces says:
Both were assassinated.

I'm not sure where you see the question of "popularity".

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 2, 2013 3:04:09 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Feb 2, 2013 3:10:27 PM PST
nameinuse says:
No worries. I'm the only female in a house of males and very, very, very occasionally I've watched something on Lifetime and I've caught unrighteous hell for it each and everytime, but sure they watch the NASA channel, the Hitler channel, sports channels. Tosh.O AND especially programs about tanks on the military channel all the time and that's a-ok.

Probably why I post on the internet at all come to think of it. Nothing ever playing on the television I want to watch.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 2, 2013 3:06:23 PM PST
Mickey Ryan says:
Haley's autobiography is good but romanticized. Read Malcolm X: A Life of Reinvention if you dare want to know the raw truth.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 2, 2013 3:15:55 PM PST
neonpisces says:
The book is on my list. I have respect for Manning Marable.

Have you read it? Can you provide a synopsis?

Posted on Feb 2, 2013 3:21:02 PM PST
Both "degenerated into peaceniks"? Wow. Just wow.

Wow wow wow wow wow wow wow wow wow wow wowwow wow wow wow wow.

Both were indispensable. We were lucky to have them.

As a "prince of the church," Martin Luther King Jr. fulfilled his destiny. Malcolm X created his destiny.

We will never know what the country would have been like if both had lived. They had come to ee how complementary they were. The idea is tantalizing.

At a minimum, I think the culture would be less militarized. Both would have been powerful influences for spending our money on something other than death.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 2, 2013 3:23:11 PM PST
nameinuse says:
MLK said there would be a black president in forty years. I wouldn't have bet on that back in the day but he was right.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 2, 2013 3:24:01 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Feb 2, 2013 3:24:35 PM PST
Mickey Ryan says:
Yes I own it. Marable did extensive research to create a biography that is "warts and all". This is why its surrounded by controversy....exposes facts that his extreme admirers never wanted to know (i.e. Malcolm may have been a male prostitute before he turned to Nation of Islam; he drank liquor and possibly had an affair with a Swedish woman during one of his tours, based on some of his writings in a journal). In other words, he was HUMAN and not some perfect super hero that Haley portrayed in his bio. Highly recommended.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 2, 2013 3:29:43 PM PST
Mickey Ryan says:
"Brother, remember the time that white college girl came into the restaurant-the one who wanted to help the [Black] Muslims and the whites get together-and I told her there wasn't a ghost of a chance and she went away crying? Well, I've lived to regret that incident. In many parts of the African continent I saw white students helping black people. Something like this kills a lot of argument. I did many things as a [Black] Muslim that I'm sorry for now. I was a zombie then-like all [Black] Muslims-I was hypnotized, pointed in a certain direction and told to march. Well, I guess a man's entitled to make a fool of himself if he's ready to pay the cost. It cost me 12 years"

I love that quote.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 2, 2013 3:49:55 PM PST
shopper1 says:
Anytime you designate a special group of victims (black people), you denigrate another group of people (honkeys, rednecks).

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 2, 2013 3:52:43 PM PST
neonpisces says:
I think you may find that Malcolm X did not see himself as a "victim". At least in other than revolutionary terms.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 2, 2013 3:56:10 PM PST
[Deleted by the author on Feb 2, 2013 4:00:15 PM PST]

Posted on Feb 2, 2013 4:05:35 PM PST
Snowman1/6 says:
Those of us who were alive at the time tended to think of the two Kennedy brothers as the tragic heroes of the sixties. I did initially. Over time I changed this view and now believe the true tragic figures were King and Malcolm X. King's I have a Dream speech still gives me chills when I hear him deliver it. I am drawn more to him than Malcolm because of his non-violence approach to change. But of the two, Malcolm was probably the more tragic. Both had charisma up the yazoo but Malcolm had so much power that he eventually became a threat to the Nation of Islam and its leader. And he was killed by them when he ultimately 'betrayed' his benefactor. He was a black Coriolanus.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 2, 2013 4:09:33 PM PST
Mickey Ryan says:
His triggermen were local to me, Jersey-based from a Paterson, NJ NOI mosque. Their escape route was easy from the Washington Heights location he was killed to the GW Bridge back here.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 2, 2013 4:11:30 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Feb 2, 2013 4:41:34 PM PST
Snowman: Great post. Now you're going to make me go read Coriolanus!

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 2, 2013 4:20:43 PM PST
Snowman1/6 says:
Leigh, if you have Netflix you can watch it. A great performance, a great cast: Ralph Fiennes in the lead, with Gerard Butler, Brian Cox, Vanessa Redgrave, and that soon to be very popular star---Jessica Chastain.

Posted on Feb 2, 2013 4:44:14 PM PST
Thanks, Snowman. Sounds great. I gotta get Netflix. I'm a holdout on wifi. I feel like it's 1930 and I don't have a phone.

Posted on Feb 2, 2013 5:22:04 PM PST
south texas says:
malcom x because he lived the way he said.
‹ Previous 1 2 3 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Politics forum

Discussion Replies Latest Post
Amazon Discussions Feedback Forum
3308 1 day ago
Replicator technology is here. 0 15 seconds ago
"They Just Don't Want a Job" 14 1 minute ago
Guns Are The Problem 39 2 minutes ago
Have you lefties ever realized you are the reason for their being no successful gun control? 20 5 minutes ago
In Case Anybody Doubts Whether Rush Limbaugh Is Stupid... 438 8 minutes ago
What we're going to do about gun violence in this country. 304 8 minutes ago
Shooting in Roseburg, Oregon leaves at least 15 dead 590 9 minutes ago
Conceal carry was allowed on the Oregon college campus 187 12 minutes ago
Has anyone noticed how FRUSTRATED and ANGRY Obama is looking these days? 103 13 minutes ago
Voter ID laws and Alabama's plan to keep their stated "red." 13 16 minutes ago
Liberal HOA declares the US flag is a decoration 12 16 minutes ago

This discussion

Discussion in:  Politics forum
Participants:  17
Total posts:  62
Initial post:  Feb 2, 2013
Latest post:  Feb 4, 2013

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.

Search Customer Discussions