Customer Discussions > Politics forum

Boehner's fiscal cliff plan fails with his own party

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 228 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Dec 20, 2012 6:59:37 PM PST
Tony Bruno says:
In a stinging setback for Republican House Speaker John Boehner, a lack of support from inside his own party for his "fiscal cliff" fall-back plan forced him late Thursday to cancel a much-trumpeted vote on the measure.

"The House did not take up the tax measure today because it did not have sufficient support from our members to pass," Boehner said in a written statement released after an emergency meeting of House Republicans.

The measure, dubbed "Plan B," would have let Bush-era tax cuts expire on income above $1 million annually, while extending them for everyone else. It appeared that Boehner faced a rebellion from conservatives opposed to any tax hike, while House Democrats starved the bill of their support, making passage impossible.

Boehner's dramatic defeat cast fresh doubt on efforts to avert the "fiscal cliff" and spare Americans across-the-board income tax hikes come Jan. 1. Those increases, coupled with deep automatic spending cuts scheduled to take effect the same day, could plunge the fragile economy into a new recession. Talks between the speaker and President Barack Obama were at a stalemate, according to aides on both sides.

After the cancellation of the vote, Republican House Majority Leader Eric Cantor announced on Twitter the House "has concluded legislative business for the week. The House will return after the Christmas holiday when needed."

Posted on Dec 20, 2012 7:10:52 PM PST
The Party of NO turns a DEAF EAR to what we the people want!!! I'm SO tired and disgusted by their lack of action!!! I wonder if they live their everyday life like this!?
WHAT A BUNCH OF LOSERS!!!!

Posted on Dec 20, 2012 7:22:02 PM PST
seajaw says:
A total meltdown, from what I heard. People were actually screaming and yelling at each other.

What's the emergency protocol, if the majority party is incapable of functioning? Maybe Minority Leader Nancy Pelosi can show them how to get the job done.

Yessiree, a day of real pride and joy there for the American people. :(

They made sure they'd get home in time for the holiday, though, didn't they? Considering their stance on coal, it's funny to think how much of it will find its way into GOP House members' stockings next week.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 20, 2012 7:23:50 PM PST
The dysfunctional Republicans and psychopathic tea partyers are going to reverse all the progress the economy has made and send us back to the 2009 recession. I wonder if Obama can do anything on his own.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 20, 2012 7:24:34 PM PST
Lisa E. says:
So we go off the fiscal cliff.

Thanks, Republicans.

Posted on Dec 20, 2012 7:31:25 PM PST
emac says:
Hahaha. What a bunch of punks.

Posted on Dec 20, 2012 7:34:56 PM PST
Moderate says:
The Tea Party members of the house don't really care what even the majority of their own districts want. They are totally catering to the radical right element that dominates the primaries because most people don't even vote in them.

On the bright side maybe this will cause more people to get involved in the primary selection process and get better representation. Two years away is still a long time but it might even spell the end of the Republican majority in the house.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 20, 2012 7:59:21 PM PST
They will pay the price in the next election. I cannot wait. To totally ignore what the people want is beyond arrogant. Republican party is going down!

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 20, 2012 8:00:46 PM PST
I hope there is something Obama can do. And, I hope these loser creeps have a miserable Christmas.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 20, 2012 8:01:27 PM PST
This is what they wanted. They are too dumb to even realize that they will take the blame.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 20, 2012 8:05:25 PM PST
Lisa E. says:
--"This is what they wanted. They are too dumb to even realize that they will take the blame."--

Correct. The American people reelected Obama knowing that he wanted to increase taxes on the rich and keep safety nets in place for the poor.

The Republicans don't care what the American people want unless it's the rich American people.

Their own party is splitting apart at the seams. Good for Democrats but bad for the country.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 20, 2012 8:10:11 PM PST
Agree...

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 20, 2012 8:32:10 PM PST
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 20, 2012 8:33:13 PM PST
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 20, 2012 8:33:29 PM PST

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 20, 2012 8:39:14 PM PST
It would be nice if there could be some poetic justice and these Teabagger cretins could end up homeless with no access to food, as they tried to do to TWENTY MILLION poor children.

Yeah. "Don't let the door hit you on the way out!" Indeed.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 20, 2012 9:24:50 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 20, 2012 9:25:49 PM PST
Mende Mui says:
"all yobamamama can do is totally destroy the us economy"

- Your idiocy stinks really bad!

(It makes me lose interest in the whole thread)

Posted on Dec 20, 2012 9:49:37 PM PST
When the time is up, Boehner is bound to lose his title as Speaker of the House. The man has shown time and time again that he is a failure at being able to coalesce the different wings of his party into a united vote, and despite his rhetoric, he has absolutely no interest whatsoever in making overtures to the Democrats so legislation can be passed.

You folks on the right can say what you want about Nancy Pelosi, but she was a tough, effective Speaker of the House who knew (for the most part) how to make sure that her party was speaking in one voice when it came time to vote on an issue.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 20, 2012 9:52:17 PM PST
Lisa E. says:
Robert,

Good post. I think Cantor is gunning for his job.

Posted on Dec 20, 2012 9:55:24 PM PST
Thanks. Yeah, I heard that either Eric Cantor or, believe it or not, Paul Ryan might try. Bad news either way.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 20, 2012 10:14:09 PM PST
Defintely!

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 20, 2012 10:17:41 PM PST
Lisa E. says:
--"Bad news either way."--

Really bad news. They'll make Boehner look moderate by comparison.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 20, 2012 10:24:42 PM PST
seajaw says:
Don't do that. If you/we lose interest, the horse will have won, and we can't have that.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 21, 2012 3:59:04 AM PST
Lisa E. says: "Really bad news. They'll make Boehner look moderate by comparison."

Boehner already looks like a liberal compared to those morons.

And Boehner is no liberal.

America needs to look hard at what kind of perversion has taken over the republican party.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 21, 2012 4:02:48 AM PST
I wasn't too fond of them as it was.

You've always had their religious extremists and their business criminals in an uneasy coalition, but now they both want complete control of the agenda.
‹ Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  Politics forum
Participants:  29
Total posts:  228
Initial post:  Dec 20, 2012
Latest post:  Dec 24, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 1 customer

Search Customer Discussions