Customer Discussions > Politics forum

Depressing

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 123 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Dec 14, 2012 6:02:57 AM PST
C. Batty says:
A Southern California judge is being publicly admonished for saying a rape victim didn't put up a fight during her assault and that if someone doesn't want sexual intercourse, the body "will not permit that to happen."

And if that wasn't bad enough:
Johnson is a former prosecutor in the Orange County district attorney's sex crimes unit.

http://news.msn.com/us/judge-says-victims-body-can-prevent-rape

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 14, 2012 6:07:46 AM PST
freedom4all says:
He should be barred from presiding over any sexual assault cases. And maybe anything else.

Posted on Dec 14, 2012 6:07:56 AM PST
S. Evans says:
Godz. I think I would have entitled this thread "Ludicrous" -- even though it is also depressing. Are judges appointed or elected in California?

Posted on Dec 14, 2012 6:08:57 AM PST
Dougerie says:
I was just about to post the same story.

---

Prosecutors said that on the day he raped the woman he had threatened to mutilate the woman's face and vagina with a screwdriver he had heated up.
'I'm not a gynecologist, but I can tell you something,' said Johnson according to documents released Thursday.

'If someone doesn't want to have sexual intercourse, the body shuts down. The body will not permit that to happen unless a lot of damage in inflicted, and we heard nothing about that in this case.

'That tells me that the victim in this case, although she wasn't necessarily willing, she didn't put up a fight.'

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2247927/Judge-criticized-shocking-comments-takes-TEN-years-attackers-sentence.html

Posted on Dec 14, 2012 6:09:13 AM PST
Boomy says:
They are going to have to re-try this case again...

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 14, 2012 6:15:38 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 14, 2012 6:16:05 AM PST
Ice King says:
What does he mean by the "body will not permit that to happen"?

I'm not a gynecologist either, but from my admittedly limited understanding of the female anatomy I don't think they can just lock themselves up when in danger. They don't come with built in chastity belts.

This guy is a moron. I wouldn't be surprised if he said that there's no way it was rape because Pillowpants didn't bite the rapist.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 14, 2012 6:29:45 AM PST
C. Batty says:
But what about all the cases that were never prosecuted in the first place because this guy was in charge of prosecuting them?

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 14, 2012 6:37:13 AM PST
Sheila (NJ) says:
He is just being admonished?!?

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 14, 2012 6:39:13 AM PST
Sheila (NJ) says:
True, I didn't even think of that.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 14, 2012 6:41:47 AM PST
C. Batty says:
Well, publicly admonished. You know, like the victim was.

Posted on Dec 14, 2012 6:42:34 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 14, 2012 6:52:37 AM PST
Voice of god says:
When I first saw this story, I expected a judge trying and failing to crack a joke about Todd Akin. But no, he really said that.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 14, 2012 6:46:59 AM PST
kind of off topic but i thought you would like to see this.

Smart Cups Detect Date Rape Drugs
http://gma.yahoo.com/blogs/abc-blogs/smart-cups-detect-date-rape-drugs-110110490--abc-news-tech.html

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 14, 2012 6:48:42 AM PST
C. Batty says:http://news.msn.com/us/judge-says-victims-body-can-prevent-rape
===============================
the body can prevent rape... when the body's hand is holding a gun.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 14, 2012 6:49:41 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 14, 2012 6:50:00 AM PST
Voice of god says:
A body can also facilitate rape when it's holding a gun.

Posted on Dec 14, 2012 6:55:24 AM PST
Peony says:
Also from the Daily Mail article: the judge "said that the rape was 'technical' and not 'a real, live criminal case.' "
And then he took 10 years off the sentencing guidelines for the rapist leaving him with a six year sentence. How, exactly, is a rape "technical"? How can this horrible person be allowed to stay in the role of a judge? I'm not depressed, I'm infuriated.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 14, 2012 6:56:46 AM PST
not fit for human consumption says:'If someone doesn't want to have sexual intercourse, the body shuts down. The body will not permit that to happen unless a lot of damage in inflicted, and we heard nothing about that in this case.

===================================

He's saying that force (damage) would have to be used and he's saying their wasn't evidence of that force/damage.

I think he misses the threat of bodily harm to her that might have made her not resist because of fear.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 14, 2012 6:59:23 AM PST
Dougerie says:
Oh I get what he's trying to say. He's blaming the victim for not getting beat up, mutilated or dying.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 14, 2012 7:09:54 AM PST
freedom4all says:
.45 acp works well

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 14, 2012 7:11:15 AM PST
freedom4all says:
Voice of god says:
A body can also facilitate rape when it's holding a gun.

f4a: And a knife, ice pick or hammer.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 14, 2012 7:13:41 AM PST
[Deleted by Amazon on Dec 14, 2012 7:17:01 AM PST]

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 14, 2012 7:25:54 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 14, 2012 7:26:07 AM PST
Voice of god says:
Don't know why the mods decided to delete this post, but here it is again. Maybe it sticks this time:

Cool. So we agree that the existence of rape in the world has nothing to do with gunnuttership.

Now, rather than indulging kbw's irrelevant garbage post, can we go back to talking about how this judge is a horrible person?

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 14, 2012 7:33:16 AM PST
C. Batty says:
Yeah! More victim blaming rape prevention! Yeah!

How about cups that explode and kill people trying to put date rape drugs in them?

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 14, 2012 7:50:38 AM PST
Bubba says:
Orange County California was annexed by Alabama a long time ago.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 14, 2012 8:05:47 AM PST
Sheila (NJ) says:
That is so sick, I can't believe an educated person would think that. He really needs to get off the bench.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 14, 2012 8:08:10 AM PST
Judges are appointed and elected in California. The judge will definitely be up for reelection at some point.
‹ Previous 1 2 3 4 5 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  Politics forum
Participants:  26
Total posts:  123
Initial post:  Dec 14, 2012
Latest post:  Dec 18, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 3 customers

Search Customer Discussions