Customer Discussions > Politics forum

Hillary for President in 2016

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 53 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Nov 9, 2012 8:07:25 PM PST
DarthRad says:
I never thought I would post this, having been die-hard anti-Hillary for a long time, but she really has done a fine job as Secretary of State and demonstrated her loyalty to President Obama. And yes, I'm sure the Wingnuts will post in about Benghazi, but really, there's nothing there, and it will all sort itself out and be done with soon.

She leads the Democratic field in Iowa by a wide swathe in the first poll to come out so far:

http://www.upi.com/Top_News/US/2012/11/09/Poll-Clinton-favored-in-2016-in-Iowa/UPI-77691352469664/?rel=61031352477438

The years of doing duty to country have finally softened the steely sharp edges of her image and turned her into a statewoman, instead of the sharply partisan politician she had become known as. Being Secretary of State has been the best stepping stone possible for her to the White House.

Will she want it? She will be 69 in 2016. Ronald Reagan's age in 1980. Hillary looks a lot older and more travel-worn than before.

I think she would be the Democrat's best hope for another eight year sweep of the Presidency. I do not think the Taliban Tea Party will let go of its death grip on the Republican Party, not yet - they have some more elections to lose before they are pried loose from the controls.

Let the speculation begin! And we'll see how it all turns out ... four years from now.......

Posted on Nov 9, 2012 8:09:25 PM PST
Georgedc says:
2016 ❤HILLARY CLINTON❤ 2016

8 MORE YEARS!!!

Can you say it?

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 9, 2012 8:12:45 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 10, 2012 12:44:27 AM PST
nameinuse says:
She doesnt want it.
I think youd be more likely to see Warren make a run for it.
But what I dont get is why people all of a sudden presume that its normal for the vice-president to be challenged for the nomination because I assure you Biden is interested and he wont have a challenger.

Posted on Nov 9, 2012 8:13:30 PM PST
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]

Posted on Nov 9, 2012 8:17:31 PM PST
JOHN DOE says:
If Hilary runs she wins - end of story - just the facts...

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 9, 2012 8:18:26 PM PST
C. Batty says:
You are going to see a woman, Latino or Latino Woman next election. Democrats know how to learn from demographics.

Posted on Nov 9, 2012 8:21:00 PM PST
DarthRad says:
8 MORE YEARS!!!

Yep, easy enough to say. I base my predictions about the Taliban Tea Party on what happened in California in this election.

The California Republican Party never figured out what hit them after they passed Prop 187 in 1994 and got swamped in the statewide elections in every subsequent election by a tidal wave of newly registered Hispanic voters. And, here we are in 2012, and they STILL haven't figured it out, having been swept out of the legislature into such a minority status that they can no longer even hold up the annual budget anymore:

http://www.salon.com/2012/11/07/the_gops_horrible_california_nightmare/
http://www.sfgate.com/politics/article/Democrats-get-supermajority-in-Legislature-4015861.php
http://www.sbsun.com/breakingnews/ci_21959830/election-2012-republicans-ponder-future-democrats-approach-supermajorities

The party that brought Nixon and Reagan to the Presidency of the United States is struggling to stay alive in California ....

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 9, 2012 8:24:00 PM PST
DarthRad says:
Biden would be a terrible candidate. He's even older, and old white men are no longer the future of America. Plus he just makes too many gaffes. And he blinds people everytime he smiles.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 9, 2012 8:26:28 PM PST
nameinuse says:
Likely in the running mate spot but they never toss out the veep for the nomination if he wants it and he does. Tossing out your Veep for the nomination is like admitting you did something wrong.

Posted on Nov 9, 2012 8:26:38 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 9, 2012 8:31:31 PM PST
Obviously premature. Really, Hillary will be getting too old. 8 years of Hillary? She would be like 77 years old at the end. Never was a big Hilldog fan before, but I think she could have been a decent president if she had won in 2008... it was her chance. I think Hillary would beat a far right conservative like Santorum in 2016. Other than that, who can predict.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 9, 2012 8:27:37 PM PST
nameinuse says:
Pretend all you want about your fantasy candidate but thats never how it goes down.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 9, 2012 8:30:19 PM PST
C. Batty says:
I love Biden, but he is not going to run and risk the party.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 9, 2012 8:31:14 PM PST
nameinuse says:
He's already running. Dont kid yourself for a New York minute.

Posted on Nov 9, 2012 8:31:20 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 9, 2012 8:32:34 PM PST
DarthRad says:
Reagan was born February 6, 1911, and so he was 69 when he won the election in 1980 and just a couple weeks shy of 70 when he took the oath of office on Jan. 20, 1981. Which made him almost 78 when he left office in 1989.

And women live longer.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 9, 2012 8:34:42 PM PST
JOHN DOE says:
She would bring an incredible amount of knowledge and experience to the table - she would be able to work much smarter than most because of her background - I think how long she stays on as SOS will be the determing factor - she needs some rest time - just saying...

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 9, 2012 8:37:52 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 9, 2012 8:39:01 PM PST
nameinuse says:
Shes leaving. She said she was leaving three years ago to teach and write books. She says she wants a private life.
Geitner is also leaving. There's a third one they announced cant remember off the top of my head. It was in the news today. Three officially not renewing.

Posted on Nov 9, 2012 8:38:45 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 9, 2012 8:40:16 PM PST
DarthRad says:
Biden was born November 20, 1942. Hillary Clinton was born Oct. 26, 1947. So Biden is FIVE YEARS OLDER. And he would be the OLDEST PERSON to become POTUS if he were to win in 2016, as Reagan currently holds that distinction.

Seriously, Biden should be dissuaded from running. That Iowa poll shows just how much more goodwill Hillary Clinton has among Democrats (and all Americans) than Biden does.

Obama needed Biden as Vice President, Biden was the token white male brought in for Affirmative Action reasons to balance out the ticket. Hillary doesn't need that. Women already outvote men by a 53% majority, and they went Democratic by a goodly margin (55%).

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 9, 2012 8:41:41 PM PST
nameinuse says:
Thats not true. Biden was picked because he was head of the Senate committee on foreign policy for decades and Obama's biggest perceived flaw was the complete lack of foreign policy experience.

Its like you guys dont even follow politics.

Posted on Nov 9, 2012 8:50:34 PM PST
DarthRad says:
Still, Biden struggled in his only runs for presidency, gaffe-a-minute, while Hillary was a rock star.

As for stepping down from the Secretary of State job, that is also a natural stepping stone to a run for the presidency. She would have to leave sooner or later to devote 100% of her time to the candidacy, and now is a much more natural breakpoint. This will give her time to rest, recharge her batteries, start making contacts with the fund raisers and building a groundswell of support to essentially clean out the field early.

The question is, if asked, who would Obama hand the keys to the car, his magnificent campaign operation to? He would have to be a very foolish man not to realize what a superior organizer, campaigner and politician Hillary is compared to Biden.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 9, 2012 8:58:42 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 9, 2012 9:01:10 PM PST
nameinuse says:
The president doesnt hand the keys to anyone. The veep is the presumed nominee unless he specifically expresses otherwise like Cheney did. A party member can challenge him but they never do and you know why....because in order to challenge them they have to be highly critical of the preceding administration and that is party suicide. .it destroys any shot at the oval office and also has the nasty effect of taking down Congress with it.

And if you remember Cheney said he wouldnt seek the presidency before he even officially became Bush's running mate

Posted on Nov 9, 2012 10:13:51 PM PST
DarthRad says:
So here's my Ann Coulter moment - if Biden runs, he's gonna lose, unless the Taliban Tea Party really goes nuts and nominates somebody "pure" like Akin/Mourdock/Santorum. Biden is just too old and gaffe prone. And just not that well organized and well connected. Otherwise he wouldn't have flubbed out his own run at the presidency so quickly. Obama needs to take him aside and give him the bad news.

As for the vice-president being the automatic nominee - well, that may be true for the hierarchy driven Republicans, but it doesn't necessarily hold true for the Democrats. Humphrey was the VP, but still had a field of challengers in 1968. Bobby Kennedy might have won had he not been killed. In 1980, Carter, a SITTING PRESIDENT, was challenged by Ted Kennedy. In 1984, Mondale was the Democratic nominee, and he was Carter's VP, but he ran in a field with several other strong candidates, with Ted Kennedy, the leading contender, dropping out of the running early. Gary Hart was one of Mondale's strongest opponents and might have won except Mondale had already sewn up the financial support of the usual Democratic machine. In 2000, Gore was the VP, and was challenged by Bradley.

The key is that these VPs who have gone on to become candidates have always been formidable politicians themselves, people who were able to grab control of the party machinery and finances early on in the process.

This will not be true in any Hillary Clinton vs. Biden comparison. The Clintons have an enormous reservoir of connections and support throughout the country, and abroad, and are almost certainly better known and better regarded than Biden.

A lot of Democrats were left disappointed that Hillary lost to Obama. I've never heard or read of any Democrat say that they wished Biden had been the Democratic candidate instead of Obama. The poll that I posted demonstrated this sharp disparity between Hillary and Biden.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 9, 2012 10:20:47 PM PST
nameinuse says:
There's been like fifty stories in the news today about his second son joining the military and when asked directly about running he said he's not going to talk about it that he's going to focus on the economy and making Obama's second term successful because if it's not it wont matter who's running for the Dems in 2016.

Youre going to need to find a way to like him because he's just a little bit inevitable.

Posted on Nov 9, 2012 10:34:08 PM PST
DarthRad says:
You just need a few more news stories like these to tell you that no, there is nothing inevitable about Joe Biden being the next Democratic nominee for the Presidency:

http://www.businessinsider.com/joe-biden-lady-biker-photos-2012-9

http://www.businessinsider.com/ppp-2016-florida-president-poll-hillary-clinton-biden-2012-11

Hillary is CRUSHING Biden in the polls right now. Not even close. The other story tells you that Biden's natural tendencies will not do anything to change that dynamic in the next four years. He may be the VP, but he still has to run in the primaries and get people to vote for him over Hillary.

Posted on Nov 9, 2012 10:56:16 PM PST
harmonious1 says:
Will Kucinich pop up again?

Posted on Nov 9, 2012 11:00:00 PM PST
DarthRad says:
Like whack a mole.
‹ Previous 1 2 3 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  Politics forum
Participants:  18
Total posts:  53
Initial post:  Nov 9, 2012
Latest post:  Nov 11, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.

Search Customer Discussions