Your Garage Summer Reading Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it PME Fire TV Stick Subscribe & Save Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer WienerDog WienerDog WienerDog  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis Segway miniPro
Customer Discussions > Politics forum

Finally, Obama has a jobs program - for illegals!

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 151-175 of 312 posts in this discussion
In reply to an earlier post on Jun 16, 2012 11:46:46 AM PDT
2/2 Tango says:
Tucson Coyote:

Building THE fence is a waste of time and money - replacing one to three strand barbed wire fences that pick-up trucks can drive thru might be beneficial. An aerostat and drones are already in use - not that they're terribly beneficial either.

If I were Governor and didn't have to worry about being sued by Eric Holder for trying to stop crime in my state, I would demand BP be taken from Tubac/Green Valley checkpoints; I-90 checkpoints; Sonoita checkpoints and put on the border at the Coronado National Forest, and I would ask Pima County, Pinal County and Maricopa County Sheriff's Departments to increase manpower to the drug corridor that runs from Coronado National Forest thru Casa Grande all the way to Phoenix.

If I didn't have to worry about being sued by the Feds.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 16, 2012 11:54:02 AM PDT
... I rest my case:

"Young illegal immigrants' amnesty could tighten competition for jobs, college"

http://www.washingtonpost.com/local/young-illegal-immigrants-amnesty-could-tighten-competition-for-jobs-college/2012/06/15/gJQAmgV4fV_story.html

... the intended consequence of Obamanomics

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 16, 2012 12:00:43 PM PDT
Intrepid says:
If they strive harder than their peers and think of themselves as Americans from childhood on, they are no different than your student who you gave a chance to tranform his life.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 16, 2012 12:01:38 PM PDT
You put the fence in the easy-to-cross stretches (there are plenty of those), not topographically impossible ones.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 16, 2012 12:08:03 PM PDT
TucsonCoyote says:
Then we agree. Those checkpoints are certainly a joke. I've always said my 50 year old blonde mother could stuff her car full of illegals and all they would do is wave her through. Stopping the drug running is much more important then stopping the nannies and the gardeners. The drug runners need backroads where they can use horses/mules, trucks or ATVs.

I'm not sure why she would worry about being sued since her state is bankrupt. No money for them to get. And we've manages to that even after cutting every child care, after school, women healthcare, programs that we had. We're like 3rd from the bottom in education ranking for the US so I doubt she really cares about us getting sued.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 16, 2012 12:11:14 PM PDT
Intrepid says:
And how is Mrs. Coyote?

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 16, 2012 12:16:25 PM PDT
J. Brandt says:
It's his way and the liberals way of ensuring that hispanics vote for Obama and his failed policies for four more years. This is a political move and anyone who thinks otherwise has their head up their.....

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 16, 2012 12:16:57 PM PDT
J. Brandt says:
No, because people like you think that we should flood our nation with illegals.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 16, 2012 12:20:39 PM PDT
2/2 Tango says:
Tucson Coyote:

I'm blonde and pale and can't get on I-10 without being asked at a checkpoint if I'm a US citizen - whether or not I have any of my step-family with me.

I think the State is just tired of lawsuits - I know the Border Sheriff's Departments have had it with them.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 16, 2012 12:24:48 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jun 16, 2012 12:39:31 PM PDT
No, I think this whole issue regarding illegals is stirring up the disenfranchised & less than successful in our culture to be all stirred up about "the other", whether it is Obama or illegal aliens.

Yes, we have illegal aliens working in the agricultural part of our economy where I live--dairy industry, bulb farm, and marijuana cultivation. They work at below legal wage levels in jobs no one would do for that amount of $$$. Still, someone is actually hiring them.

Posted on Jun 16, 2012 12:27:52 PM PDT
2/2 Tango says:
Kathleen M. Pelley:

????

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 16, 2012 12:37:20 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jun 16, 2012 3:45:05 PM PDT
Bad Grandpa says:
venussansfurs said:
"It certainly doesn't help when you've got miles upon miles of border across an impoverished nation to the south. However, the border patrols and enforcements could be beefed up considerably."

Maybe we could use a tactic from the "Manuel Noriega Standoff" playbook and set up massive speakers along the border fence facing Mexico, then blast that annoying "Friday" song on an endless loop. That should keep them from within a 1/4 mile of the border.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 16, 2012 12:41:03 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jun 16, 2012 12:47:54 PM PDT
Intrepid,
The military has a rule that any obstacle has to be covered by fire to be effective. So any obstacle left unguarded can be breached in short order. Could those same people get through the obstacle at all with a man pointing a gun at them and commanding them to return to Mexico or face deadly force? Or even a Ram Pickup with a couple of Border Partolmen sitting there to arrest them as soon as they crossed the obstacle, and handing them a bill for the damage that had to be paid before they could be deported. I've built many an obstacle for vehicles or people in my day and none of them could be crossed when properly supported. I was taught by people who learned to frustrate Viet Cong and NVA sappers who were genius' at getting through and destroying obstacles. The system the government uses is pretty minimal, even the three layer one, but it will stop vehicles and slow crossers so they are easily arrested.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 16, 2012 12:44:52 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jun 16, 2012 12:56:15 PM PDT
Ok, so wouldn't making them legal do away with them working for those low rates? If they are so needed to do the jobs citizens won't, how is making them legal and paying them legal wages going to pan out? Your food will cost more money. And they won't want to do that sort of work anymore so it sort of defeats said purpose doesn't it? Let the migrant farm workers work here during the growing season on work visas and go back home when they are done. If they want to live here permanently, they can go though the proper channels of immigration.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 16, 2012 12:47:52 PM PDT
TucsonCoyote says:
My mom is the very definition of perpetual motion.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 16, 2012 12:48:16 PM PDT
Grumbler says:
if your 'educated' child is competing with 'unskilled laborers' i think your child has bigger problems than this...

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 16, 2012 12:49:50 PM PDT
Bad Grandpa says:
Finland has the best school system I've seen so far.
Dan Rather did a great report on it.

http://www.hd.net/blogs/finnish-first-january-17-2012/

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 16, 2012 12:57:14 PM PDT
Bad Grandpa says:
I believe the Alabama farmers tried to hire American workers after they chased all the Mexicans away.
It didn't turn out as well as they had expected.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 16, 2012 1:00:04 PM PDT
venussan: "If they are so needed to do the jobs citizens won't, how is making them legal and paying them legal wages going to pan out?"

If they are here, employers will hire them. So, we have illegal employers who hire them. I have watched this discussion since the 1960's. When you have a nation south of us filled with poverty, there will continue to be a problem. Although we have some illegal Canadians, I don't think they are the ones that are being complained about since they are doing quite well north of us. Besides most of the Canadians have lighter skin.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 16, 2012 1:02:30 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jun 16, 2012 1:04:19 PM PDT
A customer says:
Mexican work visa's are perfectly acceptable & nobody should be offended.
It's not citizenship. Personally I believe if these immigrants overcome long odds & graduate HS,
there should be a fast track to citizenship. I believe they love America just as much as anyone else.

There is also a group that just likes to come work the agriculture season for 9 months then go back to their families.
Eventually, they end up moving here. This is where the majority of the "Dreamers" come in from.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 16, 2012 1:05:55 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jun 16, 2012 1:06:49 PM PDT
That's not what I was referring to. Who's going to do the cheap farm work if the illegals become legal??

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 16, 2012 1:11:02 PM PDT
A customer says:
Most of it is done by machine now & the hand picked crops, the workers are paid by the bucket picked. Some make $30 an hour if they are super fast. And most of the hourly work is $3 to $4 above min wage.

One of my childhood friends of many years has a large farm labor business with 600 + workers.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 16, 2012 1:14:31 PM PDT
Well, even so, I doubt they would want to keep doing such work if they were legal and could make higher wages in better jobs with benefits or perhaps start their own businesses.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 16, 2012 1:19:53 PM PDT
venus,
Most stoop labor is done by recent illegals. Those who have been here longer move on the less strenous jobs. But I can support your point about the wages. I have worked in the farmworker housing here in Ventura County and most of the vehicles are better and more expensive than those in my townhome complex. $40,000.00 and $50,000.00 dottar fancy pickups are not uncommon, followed by nice full size and mini vans and SUVs, all expensive new(er) vehicles.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 16, 2012 1:27:30 PM PDT
Hey, you just gave me an idea...let's send the illegals to Canada since they need the population! ;o)
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Politics forum

Discussion Replies Latest Post
Announcement
Amazon Discussions Feedback Forum
3473 2 days ago
Disney erases all traces of alligators and crocodiles from it's parks, rides and movies. 71 31 seconds ago
I miss the Very Reverend Father Benjamin Harris Tyrone Topley DDS 1066 1 minute ago
Bad timing: Ohio Girl Gets Life In Prison For Killing Baby At Birth 115 1 minute ago
And the Winner is™ IX.5 ... You're Not the Boss of Us ;~) 4772 3 minutes ago
What Causes Poor Uneducated White People To Vote Republican? 1765 5 minutes ago
USA Today: Black Lives Matter Leader Warns Hillary About Convention Protests, Disruptions And Demands. 17 7 minutes ago
Do you believe in 'American Exceptionalism'? 362 9 minutes ago
Something You Should Know #23: Climate Change Is The Greatest Threat Human Beings Face On Planet Earth In The Long Term. It Is The Greatest Risk To National Security, Even Greater Than Domestic Or International Terrorism. Herein Find A Primer On ACC. 3425 9 minutes ago
Why Did Bill Clinton And Loretta Lynch Meet On Her Airplane In Phoenix This Week? 119 10 minutes ago
My Lazy Glock!!! 62 11 minutes ago
next is fucexit 4 12 minutes ago

This discussion

Discussion in:  Politics forum
Participants:  34
Total posts:  312
Initial post:  Jun 15, 2012
Latest post:  Jul 22, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 1 customer

Search Customer Discussions