Customer Discussions > Politics forum

I Voted for Obama in 2008, But...

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 88 posts in this discussion
Initial post: May 23, 2012 5:19:57 AM PDT
Bruce Fox says:
I am not sure whether I will vote for Obama again in 2012. The economy is awful. Is that Obama's fault? Certainly not. Will Romney succeed in making it better? Maybe not. But it may be worth a try.

I am extremely conflicted about this. There are many things about Romney that make me uncomfortable. I think Obama is basically a nice guy and I don't like the way extreme right-wingers always want to trash him. In fact, I don't like the extreme right-wing of the Republican party at all and think the ideal may be Romney as president with a democratic congress to make sure that Romney governs as the moderate he was in Massachussetts.

In reply to an earlier post on May 23, 2012 5:30:32 AM PDT
Eagle Eye says:
"I think Obama is basically a nice guy and I don't like the way extreme right-wingers always want to trash him."

But it's ok for Obama to blame Bush for everything.

Posted on May 23, 2012 5:33:31 AM PDT
Eagle Eye says:
Talking about trashing someone, the lefties not only trash Romney but they attack his wife and kids!

Posted on May 23, 2012 5:40:29 AM PDT
To me, it comes to this (in a simple, incomplete description)

The Obama administration is a compromise between a Republican tenet of an agressive overseas military policy, and a Democratic tenet of government supportive lower and middle class policies at home. The some things at home are still being fought over, such as health care, medicare, gay marriage, abotion, or "the economy" . While there's really not much that can be foungt over overseas (you can't stop the military once they get going - they have big guns)

If a Democrat or swing voter is willing to accept this compromise, vote Democrat. If one wants to have it all Coservatively or is leaning to the right, vote Republican.

IF someone is a one-issue voter, i suppose it is a simple choice, but maybe not for all.

Of course, this scenario does not cover those who do don't break the party line, including third party voters

In reply to an earlier post on May 23, 2012 5:59:24 AM PDT
If Romney wins its with a good press of get out of the vote from the Republicans.

I would expect a Romney president to have a good majority in the House and the Senate to flip to Republicans.

A Romney presidency really is not that frightening a Romney wishy washy presidency with full Republican congressional control is what is scary.

In reply to an earlier post on May 23, 2012 6:03:56 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on May 23, 2012 6:14:22 AM PDT
Bruce Fox - "The economy is awful"

Corporate profits are sky-high. The stock market has done very well over Obama's term. The private sector has added jobs every month for over two straight years. I'm not sure what you mean by "awful." The economy is improving, as Romney himself has said.

"Will Romney succeed in making it better? Maybe not. But it may be worth a try."

Romney will do more of what Bush did. If you feel Bush's policies were great for the economy, then you should vote for Romney. If you think Bush's policies caused or exacerbated the recession, then voting for Romney would be a bit silly.

" to make sure that Romney governs as the moderate he was in Massachussetts. "

So you want to vote for Romney on the assumption that he won't govern the way he's telling you that he intends to govern?

Posted on May 23, 2012 7:46:43 AM PDT
Bruce Fox says:
Mark Hornberger - The economy is improving.

Maybe so, but I don't see it. Young people out of college can't get jobs. And many older people are working at jobs they are seriously overqualified for.

Is Romney the answer? I'm not sure he is. But I might be willing to give him a try, despite all my misgivings, and I bet I'm not alone.

In reply to an earlier post on May 23, 2012 7:54:26 AM PDT
What state are you in?

I have seen some actual signs of improvement in the job market in the Mid Alantic over the past year to two. People who have been long termed unemployed are finally finding work, companies that had hiring freezes have lifted them.

Its not great but certainly improvement is showing - I have also noticed over the past two years new home builders have started picking up the pace again in 2009 and 2010 new home construction was at a crawl in my area.

In reply to an earlier post on May 23, 2012 7:58:15 AM PDT
Eagle Eye says:
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]

In reply to an earlier post on May 23, 2012 8:06:58 AM PDT
Ease your mind, Bruce. There are no "extreme right-wingers" in the Republican Party. Now, RINOs, that's another story.

You can vote for Mitt Romney in good conscience, knowing that the country won't survive a second Obama term. It may not survive the first one.

Rick Wright
libertarian

In reply to an earlier post on May 23, 2012 8:07:13 AM PDT
Eagle Eye - "Is there anything you wont give Obama credit for? LOL "

I was responding, explicitly, to a statement that the economy is doing awful. I didn't "give Obama credit for" anything. Why do you hate good news about the US economy?

Posted on May 23, 2012 8:08:41 AM PDT
Can anyone honestly say things are worse in 2012 than they were in 2009?

In reply to an earlier post on May 23, 2012 8:17:31 AM PDT
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]

In reply to an earlier post on May 23, 2012 8:20:16 AM PDT
How so?

I look at my investments - better, the company I work for has lifted the spending freezes, my department has added more positions, housing prices in my neighborhood are back up from lows in 2008 and 2009, and new construction is being built right in my city.

How are things worse for you?

In reply to an earlier post on May 23, 2012 8:29:10 AM PDT
Eagle Eye says:
"Corporate profits are sky-high. The stock market has done very well over Obama's term. The private sector has added jobs every month for over two straight years. I'm not sure what you mean by "awful." The economy is improving, as Romney himself has said."

That sure sounds like your giving Obama the credit to me.

In reply to an earlier post on May 23, 2012 8:43:28 AM PDT
Eagle Eye - "That sure sounds like your giving Obama the credit to me. "

"Things are not that bad, and actually they're improving" is not the same as "and we have Obama to thank for everything." You basically view any positive news as propaganda for Obama. It's sad that you root for failure of our economy.

In reply to an earlier post on May 23, 2012 8:49:01 AM PDT
Anyone who had a job in 2009 that does not have a job in 2012 might make that claim.

In reply to an earlier post on May 23, 2012 8:51:40 AM PDT
True but in 2009 we were shedding jobs and since that time we have been adding them. So it is more than likely if you lost a job recently it was in 2008 or 2009.

In reply to an earlier post on May 23, 2012 9:06:41 AM PDT
Ice King says:
For wingnuts mostly. In the real world, things have been slowly improving. Maybe not as fast as we would have liked, but it's happening despite the greatest efforts of the right to make sure it doesn't.

And things are definitely better in 2012 than they were in 2007 and 2008.

Posted on May 23, 2012 9:08:14 AM PDT
I couldn't bring myself to vote for either candidate in 2008 although I detested Obama from the moment I became aware of him. I never saw proof that he was qualified or even a leader. And personally, he's just always creeped me out with his condescending speaking style. And finally the "Hope and Change" thing was just offensive although it obviously worked like a charm on our population's decreasing skill at critical thinking. We deserve what we get I guess but it still sucks that our government is so ineffectual, bloated, and self-important.

This time around I'm just voting for whoever isn't Obama. To me it seems our country is more divided and racist and classist than I've ever experienced and that HAS happened during his tenure. He promised unity and transparency and hasn't delivered.

I have a kernel of hope that with someone different in there we might step back from all of that hate. I don't believe that "the other guy" is going to change much either way but maybe slow down the destruction of our rights and freedoms (and I know Obama didn't start a lot of that but in my view it seems to have accelerated).

In reply to an earlier post on May 23, 2012 9:08:20 AM PDT
Oh. So, in your mind no one can say they are worse off now than they were in 2009. That's honesty?

In reply to an earlier post on May 23, 2012 9:11:50 AM PDT
That agreed upon lack of speed is a direct result of the methods Democrats and RINOS chose to handle the crisis.

if we continue to spend, we'll either stay sluggish on our way up, or it will get much worse with no recovery in sight. I prefer the cut spending approach.

When my personal finances get tight, I don't spend more money. Do you? I get thrifty. Did Obama talk about tightening our belts? Yes. Then why won't the federal government get thrifty?

In reply to an earlier post on May 23, 2012 9:14:32 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on May 23, 2012 9:15:00 AM PDT
Ice King says:
I lost my job in early 2007. I found another one in late 2007 and was laid off when that company shut down in early 2008 (funny enough, on the one year anniversary of the last place I worked shutting down). From that time until mid 2010 the best I could get was low paying temp jobs that were very short term. In mid 2010 I got the job I currently have and since then my pay has increased by 50% and the company has been growing at an alarming rate.
And I'm not the only person with a story like this.

Oops, I replied to the wrong person. But the message is still the same.

In reply to an earlier post on May 23, 2012 9:15:06 AM PDT
Of course there are individuals that have things worse.

As far as for the majority of Americans things are better in 2012 than in 2009.

In reply to an earlier post on May 23, 2012 9:15:22 AM PDT
‹ Previous 1 2 3 4 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  Politics forum
Participants:  19
Total posts:  88
Initial post:  May 23, 2012
Latest post:  Jun 2, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 1 customer

Search Customer Discussions