Automotive Deals Best Books of the Month Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis STEM Water Sports
Customer Discussions > Politics forum

Perhaps racist aren't racist but rather intolerant of other cultures?

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 76-97 of 97 posts in this discussion
In reply to an earlier post on May 3, 2012 1:00:04 PM PDT
T. Reid says:
"but personally, I believe his generalizations were accurate."

Like I said before...You SHOULDN'T. Use generalization in the right context. This ain't one of them. People are people. And that's how I live life now. One person at a time.

"Don't get lost in the schematics."

I'm not. I'm meticulous when I'm reading posts. I'm all about semantics in this forum since you have to read everything with no facial cues or vocal tones. That way I DON'T get lost in the message.

"We MAYBE all culturalists."

No....YOU are. Lets be clear.

"In the hip hop culture...we weren't happy or welcoming to Vanilla Ice or even Eminem. We weren't comfortable with them changing our prejudices. The pendolum swung both ways."

Explain.....

In reply to an earlier post on May 3, 2012 1:03:55 PM PDT
VRWC says:
Have you even read the rest of this thread?

We are talking about the subtle distinction between race and culture that you miss.... basically what you are saying is that blacks can only be authentic if they embrace the ghetto culture and I find that attitude not only disturbing but racist in and of itself.

I do not think it is racism to object to ghetto / gangbanger culture.... which is misogynist and dependent upon government and places little value on either education OR keeping families intact.

I think that PEOPLE of any color who embrace it, embrace an inferior culture, just as blacks who embrace the culture of education and self reliance embrace a superior culture.

In reply to an earlier post on May 3, 2012 1:13:17 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on May 3, 2012 1:25:26 PM PDT
"It may be nitpicking...but is "racism" the proper term for it?"

Absolutely. Perceiving a race of people inferior to yours because of their culture is definitely racism. A black man is to fear if he fits the stereotype of the ghetto black, but he is ok if he fits the stereotype of the white suburbanite?

In reply to an earlier post on May 3, 2012 1:13:55 PM PDT
"I think we call it 'culturism'"

That makes no sense.

In reply to an earlier post on May 3, 2012 1:15:07 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on May 3, 2012 1:24:22 PM PDT
"basically what you are saying is that blacks can only be authentic if they embrace the ghetto culture and I find that attitude not only disturbing but racist in and of itself."

No! You are saying that. You said you did not care if an unauthentic black moved next door; one resembling your cuture.

In reply to an earlier post on May 3, 2012 1:15:50 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on May 3, 2012 1:20:53 PM PDT
T. Reid says:
"But the point is that skin color is not what matters to the overwhelming majority of whites anymore.... culture does."

I don't touch what majority or most people think. No one knows this and who cares? One at a time......one at a time. Racism is bad. And that's all I need to know. I could care less of how many are or not.

"His cultural attitudes toward education for his kids and skepticism of government are identical to mine.... so his race is completely incidental in a way that it would NOT be if for some inexplicable reason a gang banger had moved in in his place..."

That's you. Everyone does not think like us VRWC. This forum is a huge example of that while you and I get no voted like the plague. And that's all you should worry about. Adding percentages and numbers is useless. People lie all the time. Some people don't even know they are racist. Just start with the man in the mirror. That's all you know for certain. The rest is just a guess.

People are people.

In reply to an earlier post on May 3, 2012 1:22:10 PM PDT
"Some people don't even know they are racist. "

Well said.

In reply to an earlier post on May 3, 2012 1:27:10 PM PDT
VRWC says:
then kindly expand upon; "So, if I understand this correctly, you are ok with black skin that holds a person with the white man's culture. "

Actually, you know what?

nevermind.... I really don't care....

In reply to an earlier post on May 3, 2012 1:36:56 PM PDT
"That makes no sense."

2 people apply for a job as a Secretary, 1 racially black, and the other racially white. The employer says, "hire the white one".

That's based on 'race'.

Same 2 people apply for a Secretary job, one speaks standard American english (sometimes referred to as the Kings English, but more accureately a mid-western American dialect), and the other speaks a broken 'pidgeon' english. The employer says "hire the one that is best able to communicate over the phone and represent our companies image".

That would be based on 'culture'.

If the 'black' girl grew up in a small town in Kansas, and the 'white' girl grew up in rural Alabama, the 'black' girl would have a superior speech dialect.

Admittedly, that's not usually the case. So, we're confusing 'racism' with 'culturalism'. I think that's the point of the whole thread.

(Doesn't mean there are no racists out there, and they could conveniently hide behind the 'culturalist' banner)

In reply to an earlier post on May 3, 2012 1:58:19 PM PDT
Look! All I am saying is that we stereotype races and ethnicities based on their cultures, and not always on their looks, and we fear them or like them based on that cultural stereotype. That is still racism. The OP said, " It's a cultural disagreement. Most of the people which are labelled racists are mislabeled."

If this cultural disagreement is something like, you pray to Allah and I pray to Jesus, but I am ok with it. There is no problem. However, if your praying to Allah would mean you are a terrorist, but converting to Christianity would remove that label, there is bigotry, and racism is a form of bigotry.

In reply to an earlier post on May 3, 2012 2:40:01 PM PDT
Vote Obama.
Just curious, did you vote for Obama because of his skin color, or because of his proclaimed Agenda?

In reply to an earlier post on May 3, 2012 2:48:34 PM PDT
JKW Retired says:
That's a question that deserves to be asked!

In reply to an earlier post on May 3, 2012 2:53:33 PM PDT
VRWC says:
That is a perfect example of cultural differences;

Praying to Allah doesn't mean you are a terrorist.... makes it statistically more likely maybe.... but if one is raised in the American culture the odds are even less that one could become a terrorist (with a few notable exceptions).

But you mention converting to Christianity.... an American Christian converting to islam is no big deal, just as an American muslim converting to christianity is an unexceptional event.

In Pakistan, converting to Christianity is punishable by death, and in fact several converts have been killed... in one instance by a mob.... another is on trial for his life as we speak, several have been granted asylum in the US and at least one national politician was assassinated for arguing against the death penalty for apostasy.

Now THAT is a cultural difference.

It is also a Pakistani custom to marry your first cousin, which has led to a HUGE increase in birth defects in Britain which has a large Pakistani population.

It is not racism for me to point out that these aspect of another culture are INFERIOR to western culture, just as it is not racism to point out that the high value Jewish and Asian cultures place on education contributes to their economic success versus whites.... and the low(er) regard many inner city blacks and hispanics have for education contributes to their relative lack thereof.

There are aspects of ghetto culture that I think are extremely harmful to people of any race, and blacks know what they are.... how many kids who make it out of the ghetto to college act "white" on campus and "authentic" when they go home for Thanksgiving?

How many inner city moms break their tails trying to get their kids out via education and work and "acting white" as it is sometimes called by more "authentic" inner city residents?

That does not mean that a kid who dresses "gangsta" can't be a good kid at heart.... my own son wears his jeans low.... and looks like a complete idiot.... but I think it unlikely that he'll be robbing a 7 eleven anytime soon....

So I take people one at a time.... I just take a little more time when someone makes an effort to present themselves as obviously coming from a different culture than mine, no matter their color.
Your reply to VRWC's post:
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)

In reply to an earlier post on May 3, 2012 4:40:35 PM PDT
2/2 Tango says:
T. Reid:

Thank you - all is well?

Posted on May 3, 2012 4:49:19 PM PDT
2/2 Tango says:
All the discussion in the world won't result in a conclusion to this question. First, it seems to be assumed that racism is something white people have against black people. What about Asians who might have a bias against white people -is that not considered racism also?

Secondly, no one is ever going to be able to determine why one person doesn't like another person because none of us are mind readers, although some in these threads seem to think they have that ability.

You simply cannot accurately determine whether a person doesn't like another person due to race, culture, religion or the smell of their perfume. Can't be done, all you are doing is guessing, using your own bias as support.

In reply to an earlier post on May 3, 2012 6:37:18 PM PDT
2/2 Tango says:
All the discussion in the world won't result in a conclusion to this question.
If your 'intolerance' is based on 'race', then you're a 'racist' and, since no body can change their 'race', you'll always have someone (at least until we all become one 'race') to be 'intolerant' of.

If, on the other hand, your 'intolerance' is based on 'culture', then, you're a 'culturalist'. Unlike race. culture changes.

2/2, I'm gonna go out on a limb here, but, my guess is that when you were a teenager, and had that slumber party, you didn't discuss body piercings or tattos. Now, when little 2/2 comes home with the tramp stamp on her backside and the nipple rings, you say " oh, yeah, cute". See, 'culture' changes. Now, maybe not this election cycle, but one in the future, I can see a Romney-type standing there with gold teeth, a head rag, and pants down at half mast, and YOU voting for him. See, that's the beauty of 'culture', always in flux.

In reply to an earlier post on May 3, 2012 6:52:28 PM PDT
2/2 Tango says:
Katrina:

Herein lies the problem- you are making assumptions. When I did slumber parties in the early 60s, we talked mostly about cars and boys.

There is no little 2/2 (because bc pills came on the market and I had a choice) but if there were, I would hope her time and energy would be spent on something other than tramp stamps and nipple rings - but who knows?

I would never vote for a Presidential candidate like the one you described because of generational (not cultural) differences. I have more traditional views (again based on generational ideas).

There are too many variables in why one human being may not like another one to ascribe any reason with anything near accuracy.

Yes, there are racists, but not everyone who dislikes someone of a different race dislikes that person because of the racial difference. And no one can determine when and if that is the deciding factor unless that person tells you.

In reply to an earlier post on May 3, 2012 6:58:03 PM PDT
Hmmmm,....so, that means you are an admitted ..."generationalist" ! (?)

In reply to an earlier post on May 3, 2012 7:00:05 PM PDT
2/2 Tango says:
Katrina:

Guilty - by my own admission - and not by someone else's guess.

In reply to an earlier post on May 3, 2012 7:34:54 PM PDT
ha ha, I'm being silly.

But isn't that 'culture'?

Our generations culture is different than the culture of the young people today.

I think the OP goes to differentuate the racist verse culturalist attitudes we all hold.

You can't do any thing about race. But culture you can discuss.

In reply to an earlier post on May 3, 2012 7:36:11 PM PDT
2/2 Tango says:
Katrina:

You are right - cultural differences are relatively easy to accommodate.

In reply to an earlier post on May 4, 2012 5:23:28 AM PDT
T. Reid says:
All is good on my front Tango. It's Avenger movie weekend so I'm hyped to get to the theater after work.....LOL. AVENGERS!!!!!!!!!!
‹ Previous 1 2 3 4 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Politics forum

Discussion Replies Latest Post
Announcement
Amazon Discussions Feedback Forum
3764 1 minute ago
I miss the Very Reverend Father Benjamin Harris Tyrone Topley DDS 2254 10 seconds ago
If Trump wins, I expect everyone who threatened to leave America make good on it 138 5 minutes ago
The Religion of Peace 571 13 minutes ago
Leftists, you say that you will leave the US if Trump wins, but where will you go? 4 15 minutes ago
So Schultz Is Resigning Or Already Has. But The Cause Of Her Resignation Will Shake The Democratic Party To The Core And Probably Lose The Election For Hillary Clinton. 39 17 minutes ago
Breaking: Bombing in Ansbach, Germany 8 24 minutes ago
'....can we get someone to ask his [Sanders] belief. Does he believe in a God. He had skated on saying he has a Jewish heritage. I think I read he is an atheist' - DNC CFO Brad Marshall 52 25 minutes ago
And the Winner is™ IX.5 ... You're Not the Boss of Us ;~) 6377 28 minutes ago
I predict Hillary just lost 433 35 minutes ago
Republican party platform calls for defunding public transportation. 99 48 minutes ago
Save the Whales, No Fracking, Occupy Wall Street, White Privilege, GayBLTs, Free Stuff, Black Lives Matter, Bernie or Bust, $15 Minimum, Which Bathroom Should I Use... 86 58 minutes ago

This discussion

Discussion in:  Politics forum
Participants:  21
Total posts:  97
Initial post:  May 2, 2012
Latest post:  May 4, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 2 customers

Search Customer Discussions