Customer Discussions > Politics forum

Suck It, Rape Culture

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 419 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Jan 11, 2013 10:21:18 AM PST
C. Batty says:
The Lingerie Football League has announced that it will be rebranding itself to more accurately reflect its position as the "most successful women's sports league" by focusing on the actual athletics of it. The LFL will be changing its name to the Legends Football League and that players replace the bras, panties, and garter belts for more traditional uniforms and protective padding.

According to a press release issued by the LFL, the league will also remove "any sexy female figures" from the logo, redesign the shoulder pads to increase protection, and change the tag line from "True Fantasy Football" to "Women of the Gridiron." The rebranding is clearly designed to highlight the athletes instead of their t*ts and a$$es. In a statement, Mitchell S. Mortaza, Founder & Chairman, Lingerie Football League said:

This is the next step in the maturation of our now global sport. While the Lingerie Football League name has drawn great media attention allowing us to showcase the sport to millions, we have now reached a crossroad of gaining credibilty as a sport or continuing to be viewed as a gimmick. In the coming years we will further establish this sport in the US, Australia, Europe and Asia as the most known form of American football globally. In order to reach the next milestone, we feel the focus has to be the sport and our amazing athletes.

http://jezebel.com/5975166/feminism-is-now-literally-killing-boners-lingerie-football-league-will-no-longer-involve-lingerie#13579282338193&{"type":"iframeUpdated","height":1598}

Posted on Jan 11, 2013 4:59:00 PM PST
Bad Grandpa says:
Oh great, out with the bikini models and in with the lesbians.
This out to be as exciting as WMBA.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 11, 2013 5:09:36 PM PST
C. Batty says:
WNBA is a sucessful business model.

Posted on Jan 11, 2013 5:16:54 PM PST
C. Batty says:
When the WNBA first started, I heard it said that people wouldn't pay to see women play basketball, but people do pay, and not only do they pay, but little girls will figure that out. Little girls will go to games and say, "I want to do that when I grow up," and nobody will laugh at them or pat them on the head, because they can do that when they grow up, and they can earn a living at it, and they can become role models for other little girls. True, the nine-year-olds worked my nerves, but they gave me hope also.

See, I love baseball, but women have no part in it. Women don't play baseball; they did once, but only because a lot of the men had gone to war. Women don't coach, women don't manage, women hardly ever call games on TV or on the radio, and the one woman who almost made it to the big leagues as an umpire had a nervous breakdown and had to quit. I listened to hundreds of baseball games as a kid. I read every book about baseball my father owned, and he owned dozens. I umpired Little League, and let me tell you, you don't strap on shinpads and a chest guard and stand in the hot sun for three hours, watching kids throw the ball over the backstop and swing at dirtballs while the parents make catty comments to you, because you need the five bucks - you do it because you love the game. I throw like a girl and I can't run fast and Ray Charles has better hand-eye coordination than I do, but even if I had had the skills, no hope existed of my ever playing baseball at the professional level, because I have ovaries. The stereotype that women don't like sports infuriates me - um, hello, welcome to the end of the twentieth century - but on the other hand, why should we like sports? Most of us grew up hearing that we couldn't play professional sports because we'd never play as well as the men, and besides, who would want to watch us anyway? In the end, why should we take an interest in something that will never take an interest in us?

I want that to change in my lifetime. If I have a daughter, and my daughter says, "Ma, I want to play right field when I grow up," I don't want to say, "Oh, honey, you can't, because girls don't do that." I want to say, "Great, honey. Let's go to the park, and I'll hit you fly balls so that you can practice," and ten years later she'll get a big old signing bonus and buy me a car. The WNBA makes me think it could happen, because if we can slam dunk, we can throw a buttonhook pass and lay down a bunt too, so give us the d*n ball already.

http://tomatonation.com/culture-and-criticism/give-me-the-liberty-or-give-me-death/

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 11, 2013 5:18:01 PM PST
I love Tomato Nation!!! Are you a regular reader?

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 11, 2013 5:19:34 PM PST
C. Scanlon says:
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]

Posted on Jan 11, 2013 5:20:45 PM PST
Bad Grandpa says:
Then she will have to learn how to spit every 10 seconds and grab her crotch, if she wants to play MLB.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 11, 2013 5:50:21 PM PST
C. Batty says:
I used to be, but it hasn't been as blog oriented lately.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 11, 2013 5:51:02 PM PST
C. Batty says:
Softbal sucks. If women are supposed to be weaker, why not make men hit the giant rotten potato of a ball.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 11, 2013 5:53:36 PM PST
True, it used to have a lot more essays, which was my preference. But man does Sars have staying power. She's been actively and successfully writing on the Internet since the late '90s, and has never taken a break for sanity or whatever, like most bloggers I know. She is one of my life heroes; I freaking love that woman. And while in a way I miss how The Vine used to be just her spot-on advice, I enjoy getting to read opinions from her very intelligent readers.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 11, 2013 6:04:01 PM PST
C. Batty says:
I mostly just miss hearing about the cats. Like, is Hobe still alive?

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 11, 2013 6:11:51 PM PST
Awww I hope so!

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 11, 2013 8:43:55 PM PST
rotflmao

nobody watches taht except convicts who only have a tv stuck to that channel

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 13, 2013 3:24:01 PM PST
C. Scanlon says:
and you should know

Posted on Jan 13, 2013 8:47:48 PM PST
RichieV says:
I am still not sure what this has to do with a "Rape Culture" unless you believe that women are to blame for rape by the clothes they wear.

What does the lingerie league trying to go legit have to do with Rape?

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 13, 2013 8:54:09 PM PST
C. Batty says:
Rape culture is what only allows women to play football in their panties.

Posted on Jan 13, 2013 8:55:17 PM PST
Well good for them then. Not sure why they wanted a t&a league in the first place if they wanted to be taken seriously.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 13, 2013 8:57:17 PM PST
nobody does that

and today they wore them on the metro
so what is the big deal if they also play football

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 13, 2013 9:50:45 PM PST
C. Batty says:
They didn't want it--they had to do it in order to be able to play at all.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 13, 2013 10:09:59 PM PST
Tomcat™ says:
"Rape culture is what only allows women to play football in their panties."

Right. All of those women were FORCED to play football in their bras and panties in front of crowds of people. They had no choice whatsoever. Sort of a "Cool Hand Laura" kind of thing, right?

Do you EVER hold anyone responsible for their own actions, Cami??

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 14, 2013 4:20:00 AM PST
Bad Grandpa says:
C. Batty says:
"Rape culture is what only allows women to play football in their panties."

What? Those girls were playing football?
I must have missed that part.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 14, 2013 5:44:19 AM PST
C. Batty says:
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 14, 2013 5:44:38 AM PST
C. Batty says:

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 14, 2013 6:11:56 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Jan 14, 2013 6:17:34 AM PST
Ice King says:
I don't care about sports one way or the other, but if they actually think they're going to be able to take something known for scantily clad women and make it into a serious athletic league they're just being foolish.

It would be like if the Chippendale's dancers decided that they were going to become a Shakespeare production company.
Or maybe Victoria's Secret can become a winter parka company next.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 14, 2013 6:30:34 AM PST
Intrepid says:
Most athletes cannot joint the NFL C Batty. Nor could most women play in these games. There are market forces at work. Whether you like it or not, very few would be interested in looking at these women play ball with each other let alone pay money to see them do so. Would you tune in week after week and pay for their air time? You are not the demographic.

The reality is the women who signed up for this "sport" had no illusions. They competed not simply based on athleticism, but pulchritude as well. For money. To show off their bodies for prurient interests by their viewers - for money. That you or I disapprove is totally immaterial. There is a *market* for this and it is not going away unless the species dies out.
‹ Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 ... 17 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  Politics forum
Participants:  33
Total posts:  419
Initial post:  Jan 11, 2013
Latest post:  Jan 18, 2013

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.

Search Customer Discussions