Customer Discussions > Politics forum

Econ 101: Zane Tankel, Applebee's Franchisee, Says He Won't Hire Because Of Obamacare (VIDEO)

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 98 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Nov 10, 2012 6:10:45 PM PST
And the hits just keep on comin. Can't blame Bush...

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/11/09/zane-tankel-applebees-obamacare_n_2094568.html

Posted on Nov 10, 2012 6:15:56 PM PST
Kilgore says:
other then their foodsucks.. yet another reason not to establish such a place. put this on my checklist with papa john's pizza

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 10, 2012 6:18:44 PM PST
And the shame is that now people will blame businesses for trying to survive. Basically Obamacare puts a gun to their heads and forces them to do something they really don't want to do. No business wants to lay off employees or cut hours. That is all counterproductive to business.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 10, 2012 6:20:54 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 10, 2012 6:21:10 PM PST
Kilgore says:
it is more counterproductive to go make video on private matters for political gain.. applebee's simply shot themselves in the foot with this tirade. if they want business, make some freaking edible food.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 10, 2012 6:22:16 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 10, 2012 6:22:43 PM PST
Edible or not, cut into profits, cut into American jobs. It's pretty simple. People want to work there, nobody said you have to EAT there.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 10, 2012 6:23:40 PM PST
ignatov says:
Yes, of course. The existence of a whiny, petulant crybaby somewhere in the world is evidence of Obama's incompetence.

Oh, by the way, I'm being sarcastic.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 10, 2012 6:24:03 PM PST
Kilgore says:
i call b.s. alert. you get more out of workers productively if such things as healthcare are offered. you rather have loyalty with employees or just a merry go round of people quitting, training new ones and repeat. no brainer.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 10, 2012 6:33:33 PM PST
If it's already not being offered, Obamacare won't change that. But again, businesses run on profits. If you cut into their profits, you cut into what employees receive as benefits. I would imagine a fast food chain, by it's very nature, already has a revolving door of employees.

Whether or not you're correct about employee loyalty, the bottom line is businesses will do what's best for their profits first. That is why they are IN business to begin with, not to build a happy community. Counterproductive? Perhaps to some, but it's reality and when that reality really starts to hit home, anyone else's "theories" on what's right and what's wrong will be inconsequential.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 10, 2012 6:58:43 PM PST
Since when does everyone in the world misuse the word "then". You know it's "than". Does this have something to do with spellcheck?

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 10, 2012 7:00:14 PM PST
Well, I'm in New Orleans so I can't really say much about chains. Don't really go to them too much with all the other great restaurants here.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 10, 2012 7:20:50 PM PST
Thanks Barry. Another business bites the dust. Maybe one of you lefties will start a business. And pigs might fly.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 11, 2012 12:04:44 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 11, 2012 12:38:03 AM PST
RichDA says:
Applebees employs about 28,000 people. $2000 fine times 28,000 would be $56 million.
Their 2011 revenue was over $4 billion.

$56 million is 1.4% of $4 billion.
Increasing the price of a $15 meal by 1.4% would yield $15.21.

Draw your own conclussions. I don't think it's a lot to pay for disease free food handlers.

Posted on Nov 11, 2012 12:14:28 AM PST
Also something we all should note: this video appears to be from an individual franchisee, not representative of company policy. Let's hope we aren't about to get flooded with videos from individual franchisees telling us about their hiring decisions over the next few weeks. There are thousands of Subways in the U.S. and that type of posting volume would put DRM to shame.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 11, 2012 1:23:28 AM PST
MisterTee says:
I think it's great.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 11, 2012 1:49:08 AM PST
That this Applebee's guy is telling us that he isn't going to hire or that some people here think this is noteworthy?

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 11, 2012 1:59:45 AM PST
Terje Alnes says:
Revenue is not equal to net profit. Profit can even be negative.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 11, 2012 2:00:27 AM PST
MisterTee says:
Both. They're both extra great.

In fact, everything is just great.

Even the cockroaches are great.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 11, 2012 2:40:12 AM PST
I like your attitude.

In other picayune hiring news, my husband told me today that he will hire a person to landscape our backyard if he can get a good quote for it, otherwise he'll be doing it himself. Obama's fault? Probably.

Posted on Nov 11, 2012 3:41:23 AM PST
From reading the comments I notice that no one even looked the the video. I'm not surprised the clueless voted for Obama. The guy is a franchisee with 40 stores. He is a guest on a news program. He is explaining how Obamacare effect his business. His smallest store has 80 employees. his largest is 300. At the very least, the Obamacare $2000 penalty would add nearly $7,000,000 to his overhead. The insurance will add far more. The kaiser foundation said the average cost to an employer share of an average health plan is $9,860 a year. For this franchisee that means his healthcare costs would add... $34 million dollars or more.

Where do some of you fools think that money comes from. He said he can't raise prices in this economy and because of the bad economy he has already improved his efficiences. The only thing left is overhead, of which labor is the biggest part.

He said that even if he was able to not have to lay off employees, you can forget about new hires, remodeling of stores, or expansion. You'll probably see 3000 employees cut back to part time of 30 hours a week. I think he will have to hire some new employees to make up for it, but they will also be part time. This will happen at their supplies too and so on and so forth. The Kaiser foundation reported that about 30% of small businesses with more than 50 employees do not provide health insurance.

Add on top of that that Obama taking more from him in increased taxes, and if his stores were in CA, the state is taking more in income taxes, in-addition to a special tax on business to fund green, and a continued sales tax increase.

you guys can suck on that when the economy collapses in the next four years. But i expect many of you will remain clueless and simply blame it on Republicans being obstructionist , the rich being greedy, or business owners being vindictive.

Many of you laughed at trickle down economics... well welcome to your version of trickle down... trickle down destruction of jobs. Ok, down vote me and go stick your heads back in the sand.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 11, 2012 3:52:16 AM PST
Wait, do you want me to "suck on that" or do you want me to stick my head in the sand? I can't do both.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 11, 2012 4:18:03 AM PST
Meghann says:
Wait, do you want me to "suck on that" or do you want me to stick my head in the sand? I can't do both.
=====================
sounds like a personal problem.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 11, 2012 4:21:02 AM PST
If I had the desire to follow your friendly instructions, it certainly would be. However, I think I'll choose the course of letting that remain unsucked, leaving my head above ground, and determing that we will somehow survive even if Tankel decides not to hire people to work in his franchises.

Posted on Nov 11, 2012 4:51:02 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 11, 2012 4:51:43 AM PST
DarthRad says:
My interpretation of kbw's sequence of instructions, given in a reverse time order, is:

1. vote kbw down (done)

2. "stick your heads back in the sand" (most people believe, since the Republican Party has lost the popular vote in 5 out of the last 6 presidential elections, that the Republicans are the ones with their heads in the sand)

3. "suck on that when the economy collapses in the next four years" (the economy may go in reverse if the fiscal cliff thing happens, but most likely, like all deep recessions, it will recover long term over the next four years. Wishing for America to fail just because you hate Obama was what caused the Taliban Tea Party to lose in the this election. Time to unstick your head out from the sand)

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 11, 2012 4:57:02 AM PST
Well said on point three. Whether I like the guy in the White House or not, I never feel glee at the thought of things going poorly or think of it as something for my political opponents to suck on.

Posted on Nov 11, 2012 5:31:24 AM PST
freedom4all says:
I see Obama Care as a plan to fail. It can hardly be otherwise. Now for good or evil a single payers government health care system is coming to America. We are all going to get the same care. It will not be as good or as expedite at some are getting now, but is will be fair. Doctors' and other cartelist will lose money. Bureaucrats will make more money and increase their numbers. Politicians and government will gain power. We will look more like Western Europe than the 20th century super-power.

Our military will have to be reduced. Our would wide hegemony will be replaced by regional hegemony for China, India, Russia, Brazil and the USA in its corner of the world.
‹ Previous 1 2 3 4 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  Politics forum
Participants:  32
Total posts:  98
Initial post:  Nov 10, 2012
Latest post:  Jan 7, 2013

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 3 customers

Search Customer Discussions