Customer Discussions > Politics forum

We want to secede from the Union, except when there's a disaster, then we don't.

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 53 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Nov 18, 2012 6:56:59 PM PST
J. D. Young says:
Cordova, Alabama Blames FEMA For Slow Tornado Response

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/11/18/cordova-alabama-fema_n_2155260.html

Except they forgot that they hate FEMA and all forms of government, but wait! aren't these people hard working, entrepreneurial anti-moocher people? Oh, I seeee! actually you are moochers, no more or no less than other Americans. You just don't read books or edumacate yourselves enough to know what you are. You just listen to your ultra conservative bought-off politicians and take what they have to say regardless of fact or reality. But when poop hits the fan look who comes a runnin' for daddy government's help, yep, that's right, even the reddest of red states, AL-LEE-BAMA. Hypocrites! Reminds me of these young Libertarians wet-behind-the-ears, that say, I don't need Medicare or Social Security, I shouldn't have to pay into it. Yeah, until you become crippled and can't work, then the response is always, well! I thought I knew before but things have changed a lot since then. Thank God this element of American society did not win the White House, thank you Jesus!

Posted on Nov 18, 2012 6:58:15 PM PST
J. D. Young says:
"They don't want to pay taxes, don't want the Federal government messing with their lives, except when it's on their terms."

Exactly, and thus these Southern Red staters are nothing but hypocrites. I don't want to pay my taxes but I want the government to clean up my town but I don't want FEMA or government interfering with my life unless I need help and I find out my "local" government cannot provide the level of services I desire. My God this has to be 'thee' definition of hypocrisy.

I hear all the time from these "Liberty" lovers that people can do better for themselves than government can ever do for them. Well if that is the case then quit calling Uncle Sam to help you when things go bad. Be the men and women that swore they could do better without government and stop being the ultra hypocrites you are. Do it yourself, and enjoy it! I'm sure your ultra conservative Republican mayor will figure things out for ya, nothing a little "private sector" business can't handle. Let's see how how quick the "free-market" comes to your aid.

Posted on Nov 18, 2012 6:59:50 PM PST
John M. Lane says:
Secession isn't an option. The Civil War resolved that.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 18, 2012 7:48:35 PM PST
I think we understand that. You need to tell the people signing those petitions.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 18, 2012 7:54:43 PM PST
John M. Lane says:
They don't seem too inclined to listen to me. :(

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 18, 2012 8:26:33 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 18, 2012 8:51:15 PM PST
J. D. Young says:
But the Red staters have also made it clear that the Union was entered into freely and thus can be left freely. Most ironic though is how Texas actually became a state of the Union. They had applied to be part of the Union for quite awhile, practically begging the U.S. to let them in. I am not trying to be divisive with this statement, but Texans have always had a self-centered mindset. They behave more as if they were a sovereign state than part of a union. So while they enjoy the benefits that the union offers they also complain about any intervention that same union may have in their internal affairs.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 19, 2012 11:05:17 AM PST
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 19, 2012 11:20:24 AM PST
freedom4all says:
John M. Lane says:
Secession isn't an option. The Civil War resolved that.

f4a: So your stand is Might Makes Right?

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 19, 2012 11:22:19 AM PST
freedom4all says:
Does Switzerland need the EU?

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 19, 2012 11:23:02 AM PST
John M. Lane says:
It did in that case, freedom4all.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 19, 2012 11:23:59 AM PST
VRWC says:
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 19, 2012 11:24:22 AM PST
John M. Lane says:
No, Switzerland doesn't need the EU. The Swiss don't even consider themselves to be "European."

They say they're "Swiss."

End of discussion.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 19, 2012 11:29:24 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 19, 2012 11:29:39 AM PST
DonJuan says:
"Secession isn't an option. The Civil War resolved that."

I think the two terms de jure and de facto solved that.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 19, 2012 11:29:34 AM PST
The Weasel says:
freedom4all says:
Does Switzerland need the EU?
Switzerland has financial institutions. Finance is more important than natural resources by far. Texas has no financial infrastructure of note.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 19, 2012 11:35:19 AM PST
VRWC says:
Nonsense.... I am no advocate for secession but Texas would do just fine on their own.

"Financial institutions" are a dime a dozen.... easy to create at the drop of a hat.... there is nothing complicated about it as most of the complicated stuff merely allows Wall Street to rip off the rest of the country.... trust me as one who works in the financial business.

Texas produces and refines a major portion of the US oil and gas.... that is WAY more valuable than easily replaced "financial institutions" (of which they have plenty anyway)....

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 19, 2012 11:40:27 AM PST
freedom4all says:
Your saying it is the luck of the draw then and Might might be on the wrong side?

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 19, 2012 11:46:18 AM PST
The Weasel says:
VRWC says:
"Financial institutions" are a dime a dozen.... easy to create at the drop of a hat.... there is nothing complicated about it as most of the complicated stuff merely allows Wall Street to rip off the rest of the country.... trust me as one who works in the financial business.
You must be joking. We're not talking about retail banks or even commerical banks. We're talking about investments banks. You can't run a nation without them. You'll be at the mercy of the banks for credit and currency exchange rate.

List the world's greatest cities. New York is arguably the greatest city in the world. Why? It produces NOTHING. Los Angeles (where I live) should be as important to the World as New York, and it is one of the world's great cities, but it is nowhere near as valuable as NYC (as much as I hate to admit that). Why not?

Texas has not a single city of world wide ranking even close to Los Angeles or Chicago. The last time a Texas city had world wide significance it was Galveston at the turn of the century.

You couldn't capitalize to run the Texas government for single day. You're going to print Texas petro-dollars? No one would accept them. You want to use US dollars the NY banks are going to own you.

So in 10 years maybe you could do it. If you started building your international banking now. But the silly idea of stepping away from the US and doing well is just plain nuts.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 19, 2012 12:07:49 PM PST
VRWC says:
I'm sorry but you are seriously misinformed.... first of all, investment banking is a dying business model that lives on primarily because muni bond issuers are too stupid to figure out better (and less expensive) ways to access capital markets.

Investment banks have been replaced by venture capital, private equity and venture "angel" investing....

Educate yourself;

Dream turns to nightmare
Investment banking once delivered juicy profits. No longer
Sep 15th 2012 | from the print edition

http://www.economist.com/node/21562925

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 19, 2012 12:10:25 PM PST
VRWC says:

Posted on Nov 19, 2012 12:36:19 PM PST
TucsonCoyote says:
I hope that states talking about this succeed in their secession. Soon.

Posted on Nov 19, 2012 12:45:48 PM PST
Actually, my favorite secession story is TX. While some in TX are signing a petition to secede from the union, the folks in Austin are signing a petition to secede from TX.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 19, 2012 12:49:52 PM PST
John M. Lane says:
I don't think there's really a "movement" toward secession. A lot of people are bitterly disappointed at how the election turned out, including me.

I think you're seeing an expression of that bitterness. The system of checks and balances is still in place and we're still a great nation. We'll be around long after Obama's gone.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 19, 2012 12:55:30 PM PST
The Weasel says:
VRWC says:
As for a Texas currency, which would you rather own.... Texas petrodollars backed by billions of proven oil and gas reserves?

Or the US dollar.... with over $200 trillion in unfunded pension obligations backed by.... what, exactly?
I'd take the USD -the WORLD'S defacto currency. Have fun with your third world petro dollars. Notice how OPEC created their own successful currency since they had such an oil monopoly for 40 years? Oh wait, they didn't do that. Huh? Wonder why not?

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 19, 2012 12:56:59 PM PST
The Weasel says:
VRWC says:
I'm sorry but you are seriously misinformed.... first of all, investment banking is a dying business model that lives on primarily because muni bond issuers are too stupid to figure out better (and less expensive) ways to access capital markets.

Even bonds requires a major investment bank behind them to underwrite. So you think an "angel investor" would underwrite a TX currency without stealing half the value - yeah okay.

Posted on Nov 19, 2012 12:58:45 PM PST
Tony Bruno says:
I wish they would secede and stop coming to California looking for a job.
‹ Previous 1 2 3 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  Politics forum
Participants:  17
Total posts:  53
Initial post:  Nov 18, 2012
Latest post:  Nov 20, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.

Search Customer Discussions