Customer Discussions > Politics forum

Rights VS Entitlements

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 101 posts in this discussion
Initial post: May 9, 2012 11:47:53 AM PDT
C. Andersen says:
"Rights" are God given, "entitlements" are man/women made. Those that don't believe in God, don't really believe in "rights", they believe in "entitlements". Maybe we should be saying, "man-given entitlements" instead of "God-given rights"?!

Rights are as much a myth and fantasy as God. Some believe, and some don't, but only a selfish greedy person would believe in one without the other. Believing in "rights" without acknowledging there's a God is like preaching from the bible but denying God's existence! It just can't be!!!

It's crazy for adults to be running around, screaming for their "rights" like a baby screaming for a bottle! What "rights"? However, I do give some credit to the God-fearing believers who at least acknowledge there is some source from which the "rights" may originate.

But to the foolish non-believers who believe life ends at death, where do your rights originate?! From some other man-made fairytale?! What would make your fairytale any easier to believe than the bible itself???

The real problem in America is learning to distinguish the difference between a "right" and an "entitlement". If it's something that comes from God, then maybe it's a right! But if it's another man-made fairytale, and comes from the government at the expense of someone else, then maybe we should be using "entitlement" instead of "right"!

If we learned the difference between a "right" and an "entitlement", we'd fix a lot of our budget problems! We'd also learn the different between a "want" and a "need".

In reply to an earlier post on May 9, 2012 11:51:08 AM PDT
bperr says:
does it have to be God, god?

or can the religion be traded out for something that I believe in?

because, I dont believe in God, nor "GOD given rights"...

I believe in human rights, meaning, if they are a human, they have rights....

Posted on May 9, 2012 11:53:46 AM PDT
C. Andersen says:
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]

In reply to an earlier post on May 9, 2012 11:55:30 AM PDT
bperr says:
i dont know where they originate, but since I dont believe in God, that is not an option for me....

Posted on May 9, 2012 11:58:27 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on May 9, 2012 11:58:56 AM PDT
Rev. Otter says:
you gotta wonder, though, why did God give us so many "rights", such as freedom of speech and freedom of worship, that He explicitly condemned in the Ten Commandments? :)

In reply to an earlier post on May 9, 2012 12:00:20 PM PDT
bperr says:
there are so many connundrums in the bible and with Christianity, I cant HELP but to doubt it...

Posted on May 9, 2012 12:02:14 PM PDT
C. Andersen says:
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]

In reply to an earlier post on May 9, 2012 12:03:47 PM PDT
bperr says:
i dont claim to have them, but I would show them to you if I had them.
and again, I dont know where they originate....but since I dont believe in God, what other options do I have?

Posted on May 9, 2012 12:06:41 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on May 9, 2012 12:16:04 PM PDT
.......oh, god, another uninformed bible thumper............no where in the bible does god mention human rights.........god had a "covenant" with his people that basically said if you followed his rules you'd be on his good side and there'd be "pie in the sky when you die"..........beyond that, you had no rights and were entitled to nothing.......in fact, several places in the bible actually tell you that you should accept your fate as it is..........you know, the story of Job, "the meek shall inherit the earth" and all that........rights are determined by a group of humans for their "members" if you will........Americans have the right to free speech (hence this board), but if it gets too free you might find yourself in the middle of a liable suit.......someone once told me that we, as citizens, are perfectly free to walk down the street swinging our fist.......however, when our fist connects with someone else's nose, our rights end and their's begin...........however, entitlement is something that you "earn" by some action or something befalling you.......for example, I am entitled to my retirement because I worked the requisite number of years and paid into it........or, if I lose my job, I am entitled to unemployment because I've worked all these years and paid my taxes which finance the system.......so do us all a favor, don't drag god into petty human disagreements.

In reply to an earlier post on May 9, 2012 12:10:29 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on May 9, 2012 12:11:22 PM PDT
What about our constitution and separation of church & state? I don't like my politics contaminated by religion. I know God well and I know that h/she/it expects us to be adults and run our lives using the ethics that we get either from God or the Universe.

In reply to an earlier post on May 9, 2012 12:12:16 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on May 9, 2012 12:12:59 PM PDT
Rev. Otter says:
<<Do we have an actual list of these rights, I'd like to see it?>>

i'd like to see, specifically, where God listed them, myself. :)

In reply to an earlier post on May 9, 2012 12:12:41 PM PDT
Secular Humanism

It is the righteous path.

Posted on May 9, 2012 12:13:55 PM PDT
OldAmazonian says:

Posted on May 9, 2012 12:15:04 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on May 9, 2012 12:24:17 PM PDT
...........well, I agree........and despite the national fairy tale that our founders were all good christians; many of them were, in fact, good heretics, e.g. Washington, Jefferson, Franklin..........they had all seen the damage theocracies had caused in Europe and purposely kept religion out of our laws......and, right this very minute our good, evangelical christians will rant on about the Muslims imposing Sharia law and how awful it is that those countries are run by their holy men and in the same breath demand that their religious beliefs on abortion be imposed on the entire country.........a little hypocritical; don't you think.........

Posted on May 9, 2012 1:58:43 PM PDT
C. Andersen says:

Posted on May 9, 2012 2:59:10 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on May 9, 2012 3:01:22 PM PDT
C. Andersen says:

Posted on May 9, 2012 8:24:47 PM PDT
C. Andersen says:

Posted on May 9, 2012 8:36:59 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on May 9, 2012 8:38:21 PM PDT
C. Andersen says:

Posted on May 10, 2012 6:26:11 AM PDT
c.
.........oh, I think you're the one who doesn't know what entitlement means.......I joined the group, paid into my retirement and am now entitled to collect; even though the odds are that I will outlive the amount I paid in........that's the agreement.........in certain places in Europe, citizens are entitled to free healthcare.......however, they must also pay a heavy tax to support the system.....so when they need it, or their family needs it, they are entitled to use it........entitlements are not free.......a group of people pay to provide them and an individual must meet a set of requirements to be entitled to use them.

.........the human rights you see posted at the LDS church were written by LDS members, not god.....the Judeo/Christian bible spends a great deal of time talking about human responsibilities; but zero time talking about human rights except in a contractural sense.....for example, the bible speaks about slavery on several occasions, but never condemns it (which is what the south used to justify the continuation of slavery)......rather, it says that a Jewish male slave must be released after 6 years of bondage if he meets certain criteria.........his wife and all foreign slaves, on the other hand, can be kept in bondage forever....all "human rights" are the creation of humans, not god............in fact, if you will recall, one of Lucifer's chief complaints was that humans were supposedly created to be the slaves and yet god loved them more than his angels............

In reply to an earlier post on May 10, 2012 6:50:26 AM PDT
M. Daniel says:
C. Andersen says: ""Rights" are God given, "entitlements" are man/women made.

What rights did God give us? Is free speech a right or entitlement? Why couldn't we have free speech if no God exists?

In reply to an earlier post on May 10, 2012 6:59:00 AM PDT
Happy Geezer says:

In reply to an earlier post on May 10, 2012 7:13:03 AM PDT
The right to have slaves, treat woman like property, stone people to death....

Its all right there in the bible.

Posted on May 10, 2012 7:18:04 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on May 10, 2012 7:21:56 AM PDT
C. Andersen says:

Posted on May 10, 2012 7:45:24 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on May 10, 2012 7:46:45 AM PDT
C. Andersen says:

In reply to an earlier post on May 10, 2012 8:01:28 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on May 10, 2012 8:02:40 AM PDT
.......we are talking about the exact same bible.........the one you use every week.........however, over the centuries that bible has been subject to many changes and interpretations.........it wasn't even codified until the third century and many of the accepted texts were left out because the church fathers didn't like what they said.......the last major revision was the King James version which is without question the worst translation ever......seems if old King James didn't like what it said he would just change it.......divinely inspired no doubt..........and it is still open to interpretation, by humans, not by god.........did you know that Pope Innocent III got King Philippe of France to slaughter the Cathers (a gnostic sect of Christianity) in 1209 because they were "heretics?"...........yep, all on god's orders, of course............but the truth was Philippe wanted their land and that of the nobles who supported them and the Pope was worried about the fact that they did not recognize him as the head of the church and were gaining popularity........

.............the thing that bugs me most about true believers is that they know little or nothing about the origins or history of the faith they profess, nor are they encouraged to find out.....and the reason they're not is that the more one finds out, the harder it is to believe........and, I want you to know, this is coming from a person who was raised a good, staunch Lutheran and even taught Sunday School for 10 years..........so, I do, in fact, know of what I speak......then one day, when I got tired of the church taking my money and treating me like a second class citizen simply because I was born a female, I started to think and I started to read, some 500 texts at this point I think, both for and against, and I began to analyze, and then I realized it's not true..........the Judeo/Christian/Islamic religions are nothing more than a continuation of ancient religions from Iran and other middle eastern countries..........so, the question is, do I believe in god??........yes, I do..........I also believe that all of the major religions have got it wrong...............
‹ Previous 1 2 3 4 5 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  Politics forum
Participants:  23
Total posts:  101
Initial post:  May 9, 2012
Latest post:  May 11, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 1 customer

Search Customer Discussions