Customer Discussions > Pop forum

Dio or Coverdale: who had the stronger voice?

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-18 of 18 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Dec 19, 2011 9:29:50 PM PST
They've both got the pipes but whos stronger: Ronnie James Dio the man on the silver mountain or David Coverdale in the still of night? And don't forget they both sang Mistreated with Blackmore.

Posted on Dec 19, 2011 9:34:31 PM PST
Blues Junkie says:
I like 'em both but I'll go with Dio

Posted on Dec 19, 2011 10:06:19 PM PST
Nothintosay says:
Dio .....Coverdale turned Whitesnake into a Bon Joviesque joke and doesn't deserve to be mentioned in the same sentence with RJD

Posted on Dec 20, 2011 12:47:17 PM PST
No less than Rob Halford has said that Dio had the loudest voice he had ever heard including his. High praise from the Metal God. I last saw Dio with Heaven And Hell in 2009 the week after I saw Whitesnake open for Judas Priest. Dio and Halford were light years better than Coverdale whose voice was shot and dropped out of the tour days later. Even in their prime I take Dio all day over Coverdale. Dio was a special talent.

Posted on Dec 20, 2011 1:19:03 PM PST
\,,/ Ronnie James Dio \,,/

Posted on Dec 20, 2011 3:15:05 PM PST
Dio, just listen to catch the rainbow off the onstage live lp. Heck I'll take Glenn Hughes over Coverdale.

Posted on Dec 20, 2011 3:54:39 PM PST
I've just started getting into the Dio-era Rainbow, and I'm surprised how much it sounds like early Whitesnake and Coverdale-era Deep Purple. I wouldn't really think of Dio as Coverdale-ish from his later work, and I would've expected Ritchie to go for more of a MKII Purple sound when he left Deep Purple, but the fact is that he co-wrote much of the "Burn" and "Stormbringer" albums, so that blues/funk/soul direction was obviously partially where he was "at" then, too.
That said, I do think Coverdale has shown a bit more range over his career - there's quite a difference between the croony early Coverdale and the hair-metal screamer of 1987 and beyond. And, Coverdale was really good at both the bluesier early stuff and the screaming pop-metal. He sounded pretty good on his two recent albums, too - and yes he did sound strained on that last tour with Priest, but he WAS suffering from a medical problem that forced him to quit the tour - he sounds fine on the new album since (although, admittedly, pretty shot on that Coverdale/Page album from the early 90s)
Whereas Dio, to my ears, had a more limited range/style, but he never seemed to weaken with age - his last couple solo albums are probably his best, and I saw him several times in the past decade and he sounded fantastic - I can't think of any other metal singer who's voice hasn't suffered with age.
In my opinion, Coverdale around 1980 is probably my favorite croony/bluesy singer, and he was also an excellent rock screamer around 1987 (although his voice showed some wear on the next few albums). And, I think of Dio as kind of a croony singer - he's not a high-pitched metal singer like Halford, Dickinson, etc. So, I'd put Coverdale above Dio as my personal favorite (although I've just been getting into Dio lately, so I may change my opinion in the future). But, if by "strong" you mean consistent - Dio is probably THE strongest singer in metal as far as quality of voice over several decades (although, Blind Guardian's Hansi Kursch seems to be holding up pretty well after 20 years, so we'll see how the later crop of power-metal vocalists can hold up . . . ).

Posted on Dec 21, 2011 6:47:58 AM PST
Nothintosay says:
To me , once you venture into hair band territory you lose all credibility . Here's a good comparison . Listen to Whitesnake's Straight For The Heart , then listen to Dio's Straight Through The Heart ...one's a cheesy pop song the other's got balls

Posted on Dec 21, 2011 10:24:55 AM PST
It's not just the vocal talent that plays into my choice - both are good rock vocalists. Having seen them both more than once I think that aside from having a bigger range, RJD is a better frontman as well. DC fronting Whitesnake is just average cock rock from the hair metal days - his entire stage banter seemed to be a contest to see how many f-bombs he could drop bewtween songs. RJD on the other hand was an entertainer and storyteller as well as a compelling and supremely talented frontman. RDJ was the better man hands down.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 21, 2011 12:26:30 PM PST
D. L. Jones says:
Ronnie James Dio was "the voice"of heavy metal - as much as I love Coverdale there is no contest

Posted on Dec 21, 2011 12:37:20 PM PST
Working Man says:
I have to say Dio. To be honest, I didn't listen to either Dio (solo) or Whitesnake too much. I preferred Coverdale with Purple and even with Page on the Coverdale-Page Zeppelin sound alike album and Dio with Rainbow and Sabbath.

Coverdale and Hughes musical direction was one of the things that drove Blackmore from Deep Purple and those first Rainbow albums with Dio were great. Got to go with Dio.

Posted on Dec 21, 2011 1:05:39 PM PST
This is such a tough choice. I like the bands they were in and I prefered the bands Coverdalle was in until Whitesnake went hair metal. Both are great blues singers, both are great metal singers, both are just great singers period and can sing anything. Do I flip a coin? It's really close with these 2. I can say I prefer Ian Gillian,Robert Plant,Rik Emmett,and Geoff Tate over them. But I cant say who I like better out of the 2.

Posted on Dec 21, 2011 10:03:41 PM PST
I like both singers but I have to say that Ronnie is more of a one trick pony. Cloverdale has done a lot of different things: hard rock metal and blues. Plus he's a great front man is tall knows how to carry himself. I love Ronnie James Dio. I think what he did with Richie and Black Sabbath was amazing.

I also think that between the two of them that rainbow rising is the greatest album. I love them both. But I have to say that I think David sings mistreated a little bit better than Ronnie and that's the tiebreaker. Plus he wrote the song

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 23, 2011 1:20:02 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 23, 2011 1:21:29 PM PST
bass boy says:
Hey Fortizymo,

I thought Blackmore wrote "Mistreated" by himself, before Hughes and Coverdale joined DP. That's what Hughes says into the mic on one of their live albums from 1974/75 (Maybe "Mark III Final Concerts" or "Live in London"?)
:)

Edit. I see on Wiki that Blackmore and Coverdale both wrote it. Maybe Blackmore had the music in mind before Coverdale joined and added lyrics. :)

Posted on Dec 23, 2011 1:42:47 PM PST
C. Reo says:
DIO!!

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 18, 2012 8:31:06 PM PDT
Definitely Dio, I've always liked the music he sings more than the music David Coverdale sings, I really liked Coverdale with Deep Purple and his early stuff with Whitesnake, it's a shame he chose to go towards the hair band route in the late 80s

Posted on Nov 2, 2012 7:23:22 PM PDT
Bif says:
I love Dio and I love Coverdale, to make me pick between the two is just awful! He he. But they could easily handle each other's songs... Dio, as we know from Elf and earlier work could croon like the best of them, but Coverdale made it a trademark, his slow melody in songs like Solider Of Fortune just make him irresistible! Same as Coverdale, who could reach unthinkable notes and power in the late eighties with songs like Still Of The Night, but Dio was nothing short of a demi-god. Just listen to Dio's last note on his track The King Of Rock And Roll from the Sacred Heart Album, unbelievable power, yet STILL not a scream... Both pure vocal talents.
To pick between them both would be like picking between doggy style and missionary; I mean, come on! Can't I have them both?!

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 2, 2012 8:27:40 PM PDT
Fischman says:
Like most, I'll take Dio in a landslide. But Coverdale didn't only turn Whitesnake into a Bon Joviesque joke--he actually made some excellent albums with them before they decided on style over substance. He also made a killer album with Deep Purple.

Love Hunter
Burn
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Pop forum

Active discussions in related forums  

This discussion

Discussion in:  Pop forum
Participants:  16
Total posts:  18
Initial post:  Dec 19, 2011
Latest post:  Nov 2, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 2 customers

Search Customer Discussions