Customer Discussions > Pop forum

Best Sooting/Soft Music

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 40 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Nov 28, 2007 7:59:25 PM PST
C. Look says:
Hey guys, lately I need more soft music to soothe my mood. What are some good choices?

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 28, 2007 8:50:58 PM PST
[Deleted by Amazon on Feb 9, 2010 4:19:31 PM PST]

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 28, 2007 9:32:30 PM PST
Manuel says:
Minnie Riperton's 'Come To My Garden' album pretty much does it for me. I'd definitely recommend that one.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 28, 2007 10:23:26 PM PST
ImEzekiel65 says:
I'm a big fan of Angelo Badalamenti. He's the one who scores a lot of David Lynch's films. You absolutely cannot go wrong with "Twin Peaks", of which there are three soundtracks: the original TV series (the first season), the feature film "Twin Peaks: Fire Walk With Me" and just recently, the Season Two soundtrack was released.

And you can also find Julee Cruise's "Floating Into The Night" and "The Voice Of Love", both of which contain vocal versions of some of Angelo's instrumentals.

Some very hauntingly beautiful stuff. And it still holds up after all these years.

And while you're at it, you wouldn't go wrong in picking up more of Angelo's soundtracks, such as "The Beach", "Mulholland Drive", "The Straight Story", "The City Of Lost Children" and, of course, "Blue Velvet".

Listen to these and you'll hear a true genius at work.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 28, 2007 10:26:53 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 28, 2007 10:29:58 PM PST
All things Gillian Welch. or Juan Esquivel for some laid back yet peppy kitsch. Hey...ultimate mind calmer: Astrid Gilberto.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 28, 2007 11:36:26 PM PST
C. Look says:
Wow, thanks! I will check them out. I like Putumayo CDs, too.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 28, 2007 11:37:14 PM PST
C. Look says:
I've just recently started listening to her..."Loving You" being the first song I listened to and it's truly beautiful. Thanks :)

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 29, 2007 12:22:49 AM PST
[Deleted by Amazon on Feb 9, 2010 4:19:32 PM PST]

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 29, 2007 12:23:08 AM PST
Val H. says:
I am always soothed by the album "For the Stars" by Elvis Costello & Anne Sofie Von Otter. Everything about it pleases me - great songs by Costello, Brian Wilson, Tom Waits, Kate McGarrigle, Paul McCartney & Lennon/McCartney, the guys from ABBA, Ron Sexsmith, Burt Bacharach, etc.; gentle arrangements; mellow tone; I could go on and on. However, it's not all that popular with Costello's fans and not everyone likes Anne Sofie Von Otter's voice (she's a Swedish mezzo-soprano in case you don't know.) You can buy it used on Amazon for $1.00 so it won't break the bank.

And, showing my age, I'm enjoying revisiting the past with Sergio Mendez and Brazil 66. Remember them?

Good luck with your quest. Let us know what finally works for you.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 29, 2007 12:39:55 AM PST
Psych73 says:
I found a great track on "Anderson Bruford Wakeman Howe"'s album called 'The Meeting'. Amidst all the bombast and skill, it is a beautiful, melodic song with an almost religious quality. If you're not a Yes fan, however, steer clear! Jon Anderson's voice can be an acquired taste.

Those guys were good.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 29, 2007 6:40:18 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 29, 2007 6:42:15 AM PST
TM77 says:
The Cocteau Twins - Victorialand, and The Moon And The Melodies (with Harold Budd)
Brian Eno and Harold Budd - The Pearl
John Foxx - Cathedral Oceans
Delerium - Karma

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 29, 2007 7:16:35 AM PST
Dee Zee says:
If Only I Could Remember My Name - David Crosby
Brand New By Tomorrow - Money Mark
White Light - Gene Clark

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 29, 2007 8:55:57 AM PST
Rimbeaud says:
Try Vanessa &the O's debut album 'La BAllade d'O' very soothing and dreamy, really invades your senses, healing yet sensual breathy vocals in english and french with James Iha's very hypnotic guitar washes beneath, very melodic and unintrusive, just let it roll ...the french is lovely to hear and the fact you don't understand it all makes it all the more beguiling.

AR

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 29, 2007 9:12:25 AM PST
Charlie-X says:
The latest Lucinda Williams cd 'West' does the job for me.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 29, 2007 1:09:07 PM PST
Yes indeed, Enya is queen of Celtic new age, however you must not overlook Clannad and Moire Brennans solo work.

Also in regards the Cocteau twins and Harold Budd, Budd does some stuff with Robin Guthrie that is very ethereal and floaty.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 29, 2007 3:47:25 PM PST
[Deleted by Amazon on Feb 9, 2010 4:19:32 PM PST]

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 29, 2007 4:01:40 PM PST
Check out POPOL VUH or EDGAR FROESE. Anything by either one might be what you are looking for.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 29, 2007 4:08:54 PM PST
Anything by The Pearlfishers, from Scotland. Their CD called "Across the Milky Way" is one of my all time favorite cds! If you enjoy Belle and Sebastian, Teenage Fanclub, Burt Bacharach, and the Beach Boys, you really should check these guys out. Great pop songs, sometimes with string section, and/or horns. Great,great stuff!

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 29, 2007 4:14:11 PM PST
W.J. Tjaden says:
Try "No Blue Thing" by Ray Lynch.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 29, 2007 4:57:45 PM PST
"In a Sentimental Mood," by Los Indios Tabajaras

The original soundtrack from Lana Turner's movie "Madame X"

"L. A. Breakdown" by Jack Jones

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 29, 2007 6:34:18 PM PST
Laurie says:
Hi C. Look,
May I suggest River of Soul from Marcome or Seven Seas. The smooth vocals, atmospheric music, great sound!
2 great albums. Check out the artist's website, you can see her paintings too..very beautiful.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 29, 2007 10:36:02 PM PST
Could someone change the title of this discussion to "Best SOOTHING/Soft Music"? LOL.

But while I'm writing I'll add this: I go to sleep everynight with 4 CD's rotating on my player.
Echoes of Nature: THUNDERSTORM
The Sounds of THUNDER BY THE SEA
Echoes of Nature: OCEAN WAVES
THUNDERING RAINSTORM

To each his own!

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 29, 2007 10:37:44 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 29, 2007 10:39:22 PM PST
Jim says:
Cowboy Movie always soothed the heck out of me. Love the song.

Miles Davis-Kinda Blue is a very soothing album.
Weather Report also some nice soothing stuff

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 30, 2007 11:23:42 AM PST
Iceblossom says:
For my times when I need calming I really like Gerry Rafferty's album City to City (Stealing Time is a fav), Loggins & Messina's Full Sail (or heck, greatest hits), Aaron Neville's Tattooed Heart, or a bit of James Taylor.

For more recent artists, you might try Aqualung. I didn't give Strange and Beautiful a very good review but my son has grown to rather like it, I'm still wary of it as potentially coma inducing. I still like Brighter than Sunshine, but that is one of the peppier songs on the album.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 2, 2007 12:27:20 PM PST
Brian Eno will always get mentioned in any discussion about soothing music. He has a very extensive collection of ambient soundscapes, both as a solo artist and in collaborations with others such as Moebius and Roedelius (Cluster), and Robert Fripp.

My personal choice is "Apollo: Atmospheres and soundtracks" which he does with the help of Daniel Lanois (whos "For the beauty of Wynona" is also worth a listen).

However, Roger Eno shouldn't be lost in the rush to admire his brother, particularly the stuff he's done with Kate St James formerly of Dream Academy.
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Pop forum

Discussion Replies Latest Post
Announcement
Create Your Own Music Quiz At SoundUnwound!
3 24 days ago
Name 10 Song Titles - Part 3 7229 1 hour ago
Most underrated guitar player in rock history... 1068 9 hours ago
Who Have You Seen Live From This List 55 3 days ago
Most overrated guitarist in rock history... 392 5 days ago
Who Is Your Favorite Female Singer Over The Last 10 Years 136 6 days ago
Led Zeppelin vs Deep Purple: Who's the better live band? 26 10 days ago
Does Anyone Remember Quackamoobacluckaphobia? 6 11 days ago
What Are You Listening To....Now or Recently? 7225 23 days ago
take all of this weak pop and emo and nerd and art crap off of the punk rock listings and let real punk rock rest with what respect it stil has PART TWO: ANARCHIST BOOGALOO!!!! 1846 24 days ago
Can you think of songs that have " na, na, na, ...." anywhere in the verses? 42 Aug 20, 2014
The ONE SONG That EVERY AMERICAN LIKES ? 696 Aug 2, 2014

This discussion

Discussion in:  Pop forum
Participants:  29
Total posts:  40
Initial post:  Nov 28, 2007
Latest post:  Nov 28, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 4 customers

Search Customer Discussions