Customer Discussions > Pop forum

80s songs you're sick and tired of hearing on the radio?

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 40 posts in this discussion
Posted on Nov 7, 2012 9:33:48 AM PST
Sting is a genius.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 18, 2012 8:29:17 PM PDT
I don't seem to hear "The Rose" and Neil Diamond's "Heartlight" played on the radio often in our area (I live in SE Washington State) but I definitely agree with you on the other songs you've mentioned.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 29, 2012 1:46:03 PM PDT
Wait...The Smiths don't belong on that list. First, Morrisey and Marr were first-rate songwriters, and second,unlike all the other acts who were synth-based, the Smiths were a traditional guitar, bass, and drums combo. And None of those other bands put out an album you could listen to all the way through. The Queen is Dead could be the best album of the 80's.

Posted on Jun 20, 2012 6:53:11 AM PDT
Sodenfir says:
I'll go with "Where The Streets Have No Name" and "With or Without You" by U2.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 20, 2012 6:50:59 AM PDT
Sodenfir says:
Baby Baby was the 90s

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 20, 2012 5:28:18 AM PDT
[Deleted by the author on Jun 20, 2012 2:47:12 PM PDT]

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 19, 2012 10:54:05 AM PDT
i agree with you i can't stand that either! they play celine dion' s my heart will go on Nobody can sing that song like celine & no one has covered it english because its too tricky,its been covered in italian by sarah brightman & others even as a duet and more famous in that langue. this has nothng to do the eighties i'm just agreeing with this guy.

Posted on Jun 18, 2012 6:09:44 AM PDT
Hall & Oates, "Kiss On My List"
Michael Jackson, "Beat It"
Bangles, "Walk Like an Egyptian"
Anything (ugh) by Whitney Houston. Horrible, screechy voice; reminds me of a lawnmower I used to run: always full-on roaring away as loudly as possible.
Amy Grant, "Baby, Baby" (I believe Wing took voice lessons from Amy Grant; same range and timbre)
Huey Lewis, "Stuck with You"
Bette Midler, "The Rose" and "Wind Beneath My Wings"
Neil Diamond, "Heartlight" (I get Manilow and Diamond confused from 1978-on)

Posted on Jun 16, 2012 10:43:47 PM PDT
M. Greenleaf says:
ALL OF THEM!!!

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 13, 2012 10:28:10 PM PDT
GE Burrell says:
Steven Guy - A truly inspired posting!!

Posted on Jun 13, 2012 8:11:32 PM PDT
Steven Guy says:
Anything by the Eurythmics, Duran Duran, Culture Club, Dead or Alive, Stephen TinTin Duffy, Nick Kershaw, Howard Jones, Kajagoogoo, Toto, The Birthday Party, The Smiths and Haircut 100.
There were some good things in the 1980s too, I just can't remember them right now.

Posted on Jun 4, 2012 8:26:06 PM PDT
MJEH says:
Missing You - how in the HELL did this song get so popular...?!?!?! it has got to be THE most boring/mundane song on the planet!!

Eye of the Tiger - they played the holy heck out of this song when it was released...I can't stand it!!!

Every Breath You Take - I think Sting is a very talented man, but this is one of the most boring songs on the planet!!!!

Karma Chameleon - I could listen to ANY Culture Club song ever recorded-except THIS one!!!! (yes, I know it was their most popular song-maybe this is why)

Posted on Jun 4, 2012 10:55:54 AM PDT
Fischman says:
This thread points out perfectly why I don't listen to the radio much.

In reply to an earlier post on May 13, 2012 7:30:13 PM PDT
GE Burrell says:
Regarding Steve Winwood - Blind Faith was never played much on the radio anyway. Traffic and Steve Winwood solo are very good. But lets not forget his contributions with Spencer Davis Group - starting when he was about 16 years of age! He's a proven musician isn't he - to go through so many identities and be a winner each time?

Posted on May 13, 2012 7:18:35 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on May 13, 2012 7:23:08 PM PDT
Maybe I'm grading him on his whole body of work--Traffic, Blind Faith, etc.-- but I think Winwood is getting a bad rap on this thread. Sure, Valerie is awful, and overplayed, but I think Arc of a Diver is decent, and Back in the High Life is far from that decade's worst album. Having said that, my choices for overplayed are anything by Billy Idol (especially Rebel Yell), almost anything by Hall & Oates, It's in the Way that You Use It, by Eric Clapton and , as much as I love the Who, You Better You Bet. Nothing kills the mood more than when classic rock stations, in playing a "block" of the Who, follow up Baba O'Reilly or I Can See for Miles with that terrible song.

Posted on May 13, 2012 4:49:09 PM PDT
Jimbeem says:
Eye of the Tiger - Survivor
You're in Love- Ratt
Anything by Rod Stewart, Phil Collins, Steve Winwood, Or Peter Gabriel.

Posted on May 13, 2012 2:11:21 PM PDT
H. Marback says:
Walking on Sunshine - Katrina & The Waves
Hip To Be Square - Huey Lewis & The News
Hit Me with Your Best Shot-Pat Benatar (instant station switch for me)
You Spin Me Round (Like A Record)-Dead or Alive
Everybody Have Fun Tonight - Wang Chung
The Stroke-Billy Squier

Posted on May 13, 2012 1:18:57 PM PDT
SuzLily says:
Darian - Someone could effectively torture me by forcing me to listen to "Higher Love" & "Back In The High Life" over and over.

In reply to an earlier post on May 13, 2012 1:33:36 AM PDT
GE Burrell says:
I would not mind hearing more Stevie Winwood. The man was a marvel!
I did overdose on Phil Collins - singing lacked interest. More a drummer.
I agree with Rosanna and also Africa. Toto were a band of studio musicians. Lacked a genuine star our front.

In reply to an earlier post on May 12, 2012 11:03:41 PM PDT
"For me, any Steve Winwood song does it.
Here's a few more:
Rosanna - Toto (agree!)
99 Luftballons - Nena
Big Time & Sledgehammer - Peter Gabriel
In The Air Tonight & Sussudio - Phil Collins

I'm sure there are others, but those stick out at the moment"

I totally agree with your list although I don't seem to hear Steve Winwood's "While You See A Chance", "Don't You Know What The Night Can Do" and "Holding On" nearly as often as I hear "Valerie", "Roll With It" and especially "Higher Love" (the latter I absolutely hate)

Posted on May 12, 2012 12:41:00 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on May 12, 2012 12:42:33 PM PDT
SuzLily says:
For me, any Steve Winwood song does it.
Here's a few more:
Rosanna - Toto (agree!)
99 Luftballons - Nena
Big Time & Sledgehammer - Peter Gabriel
In The Air Tonight & Sussudio - Phil Collins

I'm sure there are others, but those stick out at the moment

In reply to an earlier post on May 8, 2012 9:58:44 PM PDT
I definitely agree with you on the Duran Duran songs along with "Wild Boys"

In reply to an earlier post on May 8, 2012 9:58:16 PM PDT
GE Burrell, of the songs you've mentioned the only songs I seem to hear regularly are Blondie's "Call Me", "The Tide Is High", "Rapture", Olivia Newton John's "Physical", Human League's "Don't You Want Me" and Toto's "Rosanna", for the other songs you've mentioned I don't hear them quite often as I want to hear on the radio, I always feel the early 1980s hit songs don't seem to get timeless airplay as the mid/late 1980s songs do.

In reply to an earlier post on May 8, 2012 9:56:19 PM PDT
I thought "Another One Bites The Dust" by Queen was pretty much their sellout song but I consider their worst song to be "Body Language" (thank God that song never gets played on the radio)

In reply to an earlier post on May 8, 2012 9:55:04 PM PDT
I hear "Every Breath You Take" all the time too and I've gotten to the point to where I've gotten so sick and tired of hearing that song.
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  Pop forum
Participants:  23
Total posts:  40
Initial post:  May 3, 2012
Latest post:  Nov 7, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 2 customers

Search Customer Discussions