Posted on Nov 28, 2012 11:31:25 AM PST
W.H. says:
Joan Baez
Jackson Browne
Carpenters
Petula Clark
Judy Collins

Sam Cooke (Especially "You Send Me.")
Sandy Denny (Her solo albums are lovely and so is her work with Fairport Convention and Fotheringay.)
Enya
Sarah McLachlan
Joni Mitchell

Judee Sill
Phoebe Snow
James Taylor
Dionne Warwick
Lizz Wright

Dinah Washington's "Ballads," Sarah Vaughan's "Ballads," Meshell Ndegeocello's "Bitter," and Marianne Faithfull's "Rich Kid Blues" also fit the bill. So does Cass Elliot's solo work.

Posted on Nov 28, 2012 10:26:03 AM PST
You gotta love that "Sooting" music. :)

Posted on Nov 28, 2012 7:29:18 AM PST
L. Crosby says:
Classical Guitar music does it for me....

Posted on Nov 27, 2012 5:46:11 AM PST
Snoo says:
Early Dan Fogelberg.....from Home Free to The Innocent Age

My "therapy" for many years :)

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 24, 2012 8:32:20 PM PST
Two Tub Man says:
Instro electric guitarist Johnny A. He plays every style in the the book, and then some. Rock, jazz, blues, country,
from Hendrix to Joe Pass to Chet Atkins, and all points in between.
Impeccable tone and taste, never too heavy, but never twee, gutless, or boring.
Perfect Sunday morning, or late Saturday night, music.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 24, 2012 7:11:41 AM PST
Gary Gable says:
There are 7 of my albums worth of soft new age, instrumental music streaming on Spotify - there's no cost. CD's on Amazon and CDBaby, etc. too but you can stream all of it at no cost on Spotify.com. Just download the Spotify player if you don't have it, then search for Gary Gable in their search engine or Google or Bing. There mght be some pieces that you like but you might fall asleep too. Thanks.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 3, 2007 5:56:46 PM PST
ImEzekiel65 says:
Yeah, and it's mustardy, too.;)

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 3, 2007 2:32:06 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 3, 2007 2:33:10 PM PST
When I want to hear something soft and soothing, I turn to the world/classical crossover music in my music collection:

Josh Groban
Celtic Women
Hayley Westenra
Kelly Sweet
Enya
Il Divo

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 2, 2007 9:28:23 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 2, 2007 10:45:05 PM PST
B. Roberts says:
Yes, but Billy DIDN'T Start The Fire.
But, apparantly, somebody did:

"We didn't start the fire
It was always burning
Since the world's been turning
We didn't start the fire
No we didn't light it
But we tried to fight it"

As Far as "Fire" by The Crazy World of Arthur Brown ("I'll teach you to burn!") if we are literal here, human flesh usually doesn't create "soot", not in the traditional sense.

Jimi Hendrix Just wanted to stand NEXT to it, no 3rd degree burns, no soot. (Just body heat.)

This Fire issue could go on indefinately, and I am not a Coroner (see above), nor a Fire Inspector.

But I've seen chimneys, and soot IS their business!

Have Fun!

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 2, 2007 9:11:08 PM PST
[Deleted by Amazon on Feb 9, 2010 4:18:31 PM PST]

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 2, 2007 9:09:19 PM PST
B. Roberts says:
I guess we know the "sooting" was a typo, but if not, I'd vote for maybe "Chim-Chim-Cher-Ee" as "sooting" is probably some slang term for chimney-sweeping.
All together now....
OWWWW.....

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 2, 2007 2:08:21 PM PST
Speaking of the Cocteau Twins, I just spent the whole weekend listening to their music.

I think "Four calender cafe" is the most consistently "sooting".

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 2, 2007 1:09:39 PM PST
E. Dill says:
I'm not going for the cheap laugh but I WAS, admittedly, interested in finding out what "sooting" music was.....esp. "sooting" AND "soft".

I'd agree with those that mentioned Eno. I thought of him first and his history with "ambient" musics. He is the guy who gave "new age" a good name, although few refer to him with the "new agers" these days. Someone once referred to "new age" as "sonic wallpaper". Eno's is always more than that to me but it is still great as background music.

I find Celtic/Irish ballads, esp. as sung by female voices to be especially soothing, even when they are melancholy in nature (aren't they all?). I can easily be swept away by them.

Cocteau Twins is a great choice because of the lovely voice of Fraser.

I always found Neil Young's "After The Goldrush" to be "soothing", even, weirdly, a song like "Only Love Can Break Your Heart" which doesn't sound very soothing on the surface. Maybe I WOULD pass on that one if I'd just suffered a broken heart.

I can think of a lot of soothing songs that are within albums that contain other songs NOT so soothing. Tea for the Tillerman came to mind for some odd reason. A song like "Into White". Or Buckley's "Once I Was", a beautiful song of love and change that could be either soothing or depressing, I guess, depending upon circumstances.

I also have always had a THING for Johnny Mathis' "Heavenly" album. It is, throughout, a beautiful album. Admittedly, again, some are about loss and could be heartbreaking or soothing, depending on one's need for catharsis. I love it anyway.

ed.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 2, 2007 12:42:48 PM PST
E. Dill says:
Speaking of Ripperton, I always wonder how many people realize that Maya Rudolph, SNL regular, IS Minnie's daughter. She's one of my favorites on the show.

ed.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 2, 2007 12:27:20 PM PST
Brian Eno will always get mentioned in any discussion about soothing music. He has a very extensive collection of ambient soundscapes, both as a solo artist and in collaborations with others such as Moebius and Roedelius (Cluster), and Robert Fripp.

My personal choice is "Apollo: Atmospheres and soundtracks" which he does with the help of Daniel Lanois (whos "For the beauty of Wynona" is also worth a listen).

However, Roger Eno shouldn't be lost in the rush to admire his brother, particularly the stuff he's done with Kate St James formerly of Dream Academy.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 30, 2007 11:23:42 AM PST
Iceblossom says:
For my times when I need calming I really like Gerry Rafferty's album City to City (Stealing Time is a fav), Loggins & Messina's Full Sail (or heck, greatest hits), Aaron Neville's Tattooed Heart, or a bit of James Taylor.

For more recent artists, you might try Aqualung. I didn't give Strange and Beautiful a very good review but my son has grown to rather like it, I'm still wary of it as potentially coma inducing. I still like Brighter than Sunshine, but that is one of the peppier songs on the album.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 29, 2007 10:37:44 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 29, 2007 10:39:22 PM PST
Jim says:
Cowboy Movie always soothed the heck out of me. Love the song.

Miles Davis-Kinda Blue is a very soothing album.
Weather Report also some nice soothing stuff

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 29, 2007 10:36:02 PM PST
Could someone change the title of this discussion to "Best SOOTHING/Soft Music"? LOL.

But while I'm writing I'll add this: I go to sleep everynight with 4 CD's rotating on my player.
Echoes of Nature: THUNDERSTORM
The Sounds of THUNDER BY THE SEA
Echoes of Nature: OCEAN WAVES
THUNDERING RAINSTORM

To each his own!

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 29, 2007 6:34:18 PM PST
Laurie says:
Hi C. Look,
May I suggest River of Soul from Marcome or Seven Seas. The smooth vocals, atmospheric music, great sound!
2 great albums. Check out the artist's website, you can see her paintings too..very beautiful.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 29, 2007 4:57:45 PM PST
"In a Sentimental Mood," by Los Indios Tabajaras

The original soundtrack from Lana Turner's movie "Madame X"

"L. A. Breakdown" by Jack Jones

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 29, 2007 4:14:11 PM PST
W.J. Tjaden says:
Try "No Blue Thing" by Ray Lynch.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 29, 2007 4:08:54 PM PST
Anything by The Pearlfishers, from Scotland. Their CD called "Across the Milky Way" is one of my all time favorite cds! If you enjoy Belle and Sebastian, Teenage Fanclub, Burt Bacharach, and the Beach Boys, you really should check these guys out. Great pop songs, sometimes with string section, and/or horns. Great,great stuff!

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 29, 2007 4:01:40 PM PST
Check out POPOL VUH or EDGAR FROESE. Anything by either one might be what you are looking for.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 29, 2007 3:47:25 PM PST
[Deleted by Amazon on Feb 9, 2010 4:19:32 PM PST]
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  Pop forum
Participants:  29
Total posts:  40
Initial post:  Nov 28, 2007
Latest post:  Nov 28, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 4 customers

Search Customer Discussions