Customer Discussions > Pop forum

Best Fingerstyle Guitarist?

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 101-125 of 170 posts in this discussion
In reply to an earlier post on Sep 14, 2011 6:59:24 PM PDT
J. Seigle says:
I have never heard/seen Bireli play fingerstyle. And the work in the video you linked is all flat-picking.

Paco is awesome. I first him on the album with John McLaughlin and Al DiMeola, and his technique is so amazing I thought he was using a pick.

Posted on Sep 14, 2011 7:00:48 PM PDT
J. Seigle says:
Oh, here's another one. Scotty Anderson. He shows a lot of Chet Atkins influence, but has amazing chops. He's not really great in all aspects, but is amazing to listen to.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 15, 2011 6:42:05 AM PDT
stevign says:
B. Shelton:

re: "I guarantee you'll be glad you did."

I'd like to hear more about the guarantee. I heard his performances of "To Run In A Dream", "Hide and Seek" and some others on youtube and I'm not impressed. If I may be brutally honest, I find his music to be somewhat pretty but boring within seconds.

It's rather like what some may term as "new-age" music, I find a lot of Massage Therapists turn this kind of stuff on before they get started. I could easily see him opening for Kenny G. As an acoustic guitar player myself I can say he knows the fretboard, has decent finger skills but the music itself is flaccid and leaves me flat. Sorry.

Now......about that guarantee, what do I get? ;~}

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 15, 2011 6:45:01 AM PDT
stevign says:
JS:

So......did you look around and find other examples of Bireli Lagrene where he "is" fingerpicking?

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 15, 2011 6:53:55 AM PDT
J. Seigle says:
I have a few of his recordings and none are fingerpicking. I have seen videos of his performances and none are fingerpicking (except one where he plays bass, but I don't count that). The video link in this thread that is supposed to show his fingerpicking prowess doesn't. Am I supposed to research this?

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 15, 2011 9:21:02 AM PDT
stevign says:
JS:

You may be right, I own the DVD Bireli Lagrene & Friends- Live Jazz A Vienne and some CDs of his but come to think of it, I'm not sure if he "fingerpicks" on any of the songs, I'll have to check out the concert video again. His flat-picking is so fast at times that one tends to ignore the distinction.....at least that's "my" excuse and I'm sticking to it. lolol

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 15, 2011 9:36:51 AM PDT
Brian Foley says:
OH YEA! BEST EVERYTHING INFACT!

Posted on Sep 15, 2011 9:38:17 AM PDT
Brian Foley says:
I DO NOT SEE STEVE HOWE OF YES?

Posted on Sep 15, 2011 1:20:05 PM PDT
It's interesting. When I started this thread, I thought that maybe 10 names would come up as possibilities for the best fingerstyle player. I guess I was expecting people to list players who are world renowned for fingerstyle (Examples: Laurence Juber, Tommy Emmanuel, Peppino D'Augustino) rather than guitarists who happen to play fingerstyle here and there. Just an observation. If any of you don't know about these guys, head to YouTube right away! : )

Posted on Sep 15, 2011 1:31:14 PM PDT
Max says:
Robbie Basho
John Fahey
Sandy Bull
Jerry Garcia
Michael Hedges

Posted on Sep 17, 2011 3:11:52 PM PDT
whofan says:
Ritchie Blackmore!!!!!!!!!!!!! Listen to Blackmore`s Night, incredible.

Posted on Sep 17, 2011 7:25:05 PM PDT
Kelly Joe Phelps, with or without the slide.

Posted on Sep 17, 2011 7:36:46 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Sep 17, 2011 7:46:25 PM PDT
Ken's Flute says:
Larry Carlton
Chet Atkins
Without question, the top 2!
But James Taylor belongs on this list also.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 18, 2011 7:06:58 PM PDT
jblyn

Rory (Aurora) Block

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 19, 2011 10:11:33 PM PDT
Captain Nemo says:
How about some Patrick Simmons (Doobie Brothers)

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 20, 2011 7:40:55 PM PDT
jan way says:
duck baker also

Posted on Sep 20, 2011 8:25:23 PM PDT
Blues Junkie says:
I think it's too subjective for a "best" player to exist, but I'd like to give Harvey Reid some props as a brilliant fingerstyle player:
http://www.woodpecker.com/harveyreid.html

Posted on Sep 21, 2011 10:39:50 PM PDT
bozokarl says:
Leo Kottke
Jerry Reed

Posted on Sep 22, 2011 12:19:07 PM PDT
Rex Flottman says:
You can go to the Website for the Walnut Valley Festival in Winfield, Kansas the host of the International Finger Style Guitar Championship Contest each year and go to the contest archives. Almost anyone listed as one of the top three winners each year are great players, including some of the "true" finger style players listed here. The link is-
www.wvfest.com

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 26, 2011 5:21:49 AM PDT
Lone Wolf says:
Lindsay Buckingham

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 19, 2011 9:06:09 PM PDT
B-Jak says:
I have had the pleasure of seeing/hearing Kelly Joe many times. I used to live 1/2 a block from a breakfast place where he did Sunday brunch for a couple of years. I'd have to squeeze by him on my way to the counter for coffee. It got to where it was no big deal after a while, but then, after a few years of not hearing him, I was blown away all over again. One of the truly underrated players!

Posted on Oct 20, 2011 12:45:22 PM PDT
Does anyone know if any of the guitarists mentioned in this thread have won a Grammy award? Just curious. Laurence Juber has won 2 (well deserved) Grammys, but I was surprised that Phil Keaggy has not. That's as far as I looked.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 20, 2011 1:26:17 PM PDT
stevign says:
Buttercup:

A Grammy award? I hate to say it dear but the only thing a Grammy is good for is melting down its gold-plating and selling it.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 20, 2011 2:14:47 PM PDT
That is a disrespectful and condescending thing to say, dear.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 20, 2011 2:41:53 PM PDT
stevign says:
An award organization who gives Kenny G, Yanni, Michael Bolton, Nelly, Puff Daddy, Britney Spears, Milli Vanilli, Baha Men, Hootie & The Blowfish an award deserves every bit of disrespect that comes their way.
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  Pop forum
Participants:  106
Total posts:  170
Initial post:  Mar 15, 2010
Latest post:  Apr 3, 2014

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 9 customers

Search Customer Discussions