Customer Discussions > Pop forum

What Are You Listening To....Now or Recently?

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 51-75 of 1000 posts in this discussion
In reply to an earlier post on Sep 3, 2007 9:58:49 PM PDT
Anna

I really think you might like POPOL VUH(one of my absolute favorites), if you have not already listened to them before. If you are interested, check out "Hosianna Mantra" or "Die Nacht Der Selee - Tantric Songs" or "Spirit Of Peace". Go to venco.com and you can hear samples from these and more of their albums.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 3, 2007 10:52:54 PM PDT
I've been really into Frank Sinatra's music as of late. The elegance of his voice and the talent he has....is truly amazing(like the big band orchestral music that accompanies him!). It makes me not want to listen to music that's on the radio now.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 4, 2007 3:24:16 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Sep 4, 2007 3:25:40 AM PDT
Crikeydingo says:
Daniel Melingo-"Santa Milonga"
EM:T-"Beat Exploration"
Susumu Yokota-"Grinning Cat".
Anouar Brahem-"Le Voyage De Sahar".
Luiz Macedo-"Electrobossamagnetica"
Killer Bong-"Moscow Dub"
Cecil Taylor & Mat Maneri-"Algonquin"
Bobby Hughes Combination-"Nhu Golden Era"
Egberto Gismonti-"Infancia"
Hybrids-Hypnogoia Compilation
Scanner-"Sound For Spaces"
And finally...Murcof-"Remembranza---can't wait for his new release"Cosmos"(Sept25) viva la musica!

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 4, 2007 4:26:12 PM PDT
Anna

Another great record you might like is "The Rhythmatist" by STEWART COPELAND. Very African influenced. Also YAYA DIALLO. He did a record called "The Healing Drum". I'm not much up on world-style, but I do know a few.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 4, 2007 5:09:24 PM PDT
M. Green says:
1.Dead Soul Tribe's new album "Lullaby for the Devil" is really pleasing to my ear so far. My favorite of theirs, with exception of "Murder of Crows"

2.Winds- Just started listening to their "Prominence and Demise" which was released today. Too early to make any real judgement, but so far I'm preferring their other albums

3.Fates Warning- Parallels
4.Liquid Tension Expirement
5.Opeth- I'm cycling through the five albums that are available on Rhapsody, my favorite of which so far is Still Life. I'm not completely sold on them yet, as I'm not a fan of "death growls", but I'm trying because the melodic passages and the contrast with the heavy is pleasing to me
6. Pain of Salvation- no matter who else I'm listening to, I don't stay away from these guys for long. Love em

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 4, 2007 5:15:54 PM PDT
M. Green says:
G. Parks-

I've found myself becoming a Frank fan myself this year. I can't say he's the kind of artist I really get hooked on alone for days at a time, but I really appreciate much of his music.

"Softly as I leave you" is a favorite

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 4, 2007 6:58:04 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Sep 4, 2007 6:59:59 PM PDT
I've downloaded some of my favorite 80s love songs from iTunes and have burned those to cd and have been listening to those tonight.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 4, 2007 11:15:52 PM PDT
Erica says:
At this very second: "Tiger Lily" from Luna's album Bewitched. I too am a huge sucker for that VU sound, and the first few posts prompted me to check Luna out. So now I own that album. ;D

Have also been obsessed with Elbow's "Cast of Thousands" lately, and Elliott Smith's "New Moon".

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 5, 2007 11:15:56 AM PDT
On my media player playlist right now is;

Jackson Brown - Lives in the Balance
Bruce Cockburn - If I had a Rocket Launcher
Bob Dylan - Masters of War
Phil Ochs - Cops of the World
Curtis Mayfield - We've Gotta Have Peace
U2 - Bullet the Blue Sky
Pete Townshend - Won't Get Fooled Again (acoustic w/John Williams)
Dead Prez - Propaganda
The Coup - 5 Million Ways to Kill a CEO
Mos Def - New World Water
Public Enemy - Rebel Without a Pause
Mr. Lif - Home of the Brave
Marvin Gaye - Mercy Mercy Me
Guns & Roses - Civil War
Queensryche - Revolution Calling
Black Sabbath - War Pigs
The Jam - Going Underground
The Clash - Clampdown
Peter Tosh - Legalize It
Bob Marley - Get Up, Stand Up
Michael Franti - Bomb The World

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 5, 2007 12:52:30 PM PDT
[Deleted by Amazon on Feb 9, 2010 4:17:28 PM PST]

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 5, 2007 2:47:10 PM PDT
Over the long Labour Day weekend I went back in time with MWS (Smitty) and went back to the year 1993 with the First Decade album... I love this guy... can't wait for his Christmas album, which is due out October 16th. Sheese, 50 years old and still making music... That's Smitty for ya, I guess!

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 5, 2007 11:10:14 PM PDT
TM77 says:
Earlier today I was listening to some Hendrix.
Right now in the cd player is Bill Nelson - Rosewood; Volume 2,
Harold Budd and Elisabeth Fraser, Robin Guthrie, Simone Raymond - The Moon And The Melodies
Bill Laswell - Hear No Evil.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 6, 2007 4:07:11 AM PDT
E. Dill says:
I was just listening to Zeppelin's "Dazed and Confused" and "Baby I'm Gonna Leave You", two of my early favorites that are STILL my favorites based on this latest listening.....

There ARE, of course, those that liked Zeppelin instrumentally but despised Plant's somewhat over-the-top vocalizing. Then again, there are those that like Dylan's songs but not his horrible voice (?)....

I guess those of us who were around when Zeppelin began can be split into 2 camps....those that preferred LZ and those that gravitated to Black Sabbath.....at least as far as early "heavy metal" went. I always was in the Zeppelin camp. It took me many years to warm to early Sabbath. Later Sabbath is still of no real interest to me....

Another voice that seemed to irritate a lot of people was Jon Anderson from Yes. Again, I actually had less problems with his voice as I did some of their extended instrumentals which began unfocused and repetitive.

But then there's that guy from Rush.......and I'm torn.

ed.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 6, 2007 4:10:25 AM PDT
E. Dill says:
I must admit that I had to "look him up" to see who you were talking about....

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 6, 2007 4:15:48 AM PDT
E. Dill says:
Your mention of Bruce Cockburn and "If I Had a Rocket Launcher" reminded me of "Nicaragua" from the same album....

"In the flash of this moment
You're the best of what we are --
Don't let them stop you now
Nicaragua"

THAT song should have been first on my list of songs that cause me to tear up......when I think of the ruthless dictator that we supported in Nicaragua and then the war we illegally fought there against his successor who was, to us anyway, too "left wing" to be allowed to be voted in....

ed.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 6, 2007 5:38:04 AM PDT
S. Koch says:
TM77--That "The Moon and the Melodies" disc is one of my all time favorites. Simply beautiful stuff.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 6, 2007 5:59:45 AM PDT
E. Dill says:
Hmm. I was trying to figure out how I got hipped to Popol Vuh.....I think it WAS none other than Piero Scaruffi (www.scaruffi.com).

I do have Hosianna and Tantric Songs in my collection thanks to his recommendation.

ed

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 6, 2007 6:07:18 AM PDT
E. Dill says:
Yeah, I guess it WAS Scaruffi who hipped me to PV. Here's what he says about Hosianna Mantra...

"In 1972 Fricke converted to both Christianity and Hinduism, and decided to move even further away from electronic instruments, preferring the most humble acoustic instruments over high-tech devices. A new line-up, centered around the angelic wails of Korean soprano Djong Yun, recorded Hosianna Mantra (Pilz, january 1973) in a Buddhist meditative tone, showing a solemn and elegant way to bridge the Western mass and Eastern meditation. Fricke on keyboards, Amon Duul II's guitarist Conny Veit, Between's Robert Eliscu on oboe, Fritz Sonnleitner on violino, Klaus Wiese on tambouras build up ascetic atmospheres that catapult the listener into Tibetan or Gregorian monasteries. Most of the interplay is between the piano (tenderly caressed by Fricke) and the guitar (whose phrasing simulates the Indian mantras). The other instruments add evocative power to the music, rarely altering the flow, in a manner similar to renaissance music. The key difference between this music and classical or rock music is the repudiation of rhythm: Tangerine Dream was removing rhythm (i.e., Time) from its cosmic soundpainting, and Popol Vuh removed rhythm (i.e., Time) from its spiritual soundpainting. "

(BTW, Fricke died some years ago at the age of 57....)

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 6, 2007 9:27:54 AM PDT
imaqtpie says:
Recently I have been listening to:
Blackfield-
The Flower Kings
Porcpine Tree
Kenny Wayne Shepard
Small Faces
Derek Trucks Band - Amazing on the quitar!
Hanson

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 6, 2007 11:20:38 AM PDT
JeffreyLyn says:
I'm listening to the Fifth Dimension. Marilyn McCoo is amazing.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 6, 2007 4:33:04 PM PDT
E Dill

Always cool to hear from another fan of POPOL VUH. I have been a fan for a long time. I prefer his(FLORIAN FRICKE's) earlier work, overall, but some of the records he did later, when he returned to an electronic sound("City Raga" for instance) is really quite overlooked. My main music tastes run towards the more aggro and caustic realms, but it is always pleasing to sit back and listen to something more soothing(FRICKE, KLAUS SCHULZE or EDGAR FROESE, for example).

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 6, 2007 4:39:54 PM PDT
TM77 says:
S. Koch - It's one of my all time favorites too. Why Do You Love Me? and Memory Gongs are especially beautiful and haunting. Great night music.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 6, 2007 7:10:54 PM PDT
M. J. Gawlik says:
I had a taste for some harmonica:

Whammer Jammer - J. Geils Band (Magic Dick)
I Believe I'm In Love - The Fabulous Thunderbirds (Kim Wilson)
Pontiac - Sugar Blue
Back Where I Started - Box Of Frogs (Mark Feltham)
High Temperature - Little Walter
East West - Paul Butterfield
Workin' For A Living - Huey Lewis

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 7, 2007 3:13:40 PM PDT
E. Dill says:
Amazing looking, at least. I guess I never quite got into the 5th Dimension. I know they did pop versions of some Laura Nyro songs which isn't a bad thing.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 7, 2007 7:14:01 PM PDT
Right now I am taking a trip down memory lane listening to some Debbie Gibson tunes.
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  Pop forum
Participants:  778
Total posts:  7246
Initial post:  Jul 21, 2007
Latest post:  Mar 17, 2015

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 38 customers

Search Customer Discussions