Customer Discussions > Pop forum

Best Beatles song that never was a single

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 26-50 of 102 posts in this discussion
In reply to an earlier post on Aug 20, 2007 4:48:32 PM PDT
How about Mother Nature's Son?

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 20, 2007 6:20:39 PM PDT
Mark Twain says:
I always thought that 'If I Needed Someone' would be a good choice...

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 21, 2007 7:02:03 PM PDT
Doc Xavier says:
Near impossible to pick one...so I'll pick two!

I Want You (She's So Heavy)

and

Revolution 9

Both are epic, noisy and completely anti-establishment...and I never get tired of listening to them.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 21, 2007 7:33:50 PM PDT
Definitely A Day in the Life and While My Guitar Gently Weeps. Also, For No One is a very underrated song and the french horn line gets me every time

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 21, 2007 8:19:44 PM PDT
Shane Stein says:
All My Loving
While My Guitar Gently Weeps
I'll Be Back
Here Comes The Sun
Things We Said Today (it was a B-side, but never an A-side)
Good Day Sunshine
Two Of Us
Hey Bulldog

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 21, 2007 8:28:55 PM PDT
bass boy says:
The live (rooftop) version of "I've Got a Feeling." Great, rough vocal from Paul and bee-stinging guitars from Lennon and Harrison. Nice drum fills from Ringo. Would have been a great single, just to be different and grittier than some of their other (great) tracks.

Now, if they'd only release "Let it Be," the film, on DVD. What's the holdup? I can't wait to own it...

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 21, 2007 8:44:32 PM PDT
As soon as I saw the thread title, I thought Hey Bulldog. Without a doubt, I consider it the most underrated Beatles song ever.

And to Jeffrey Frajman, For No One is actually my favorite Beatles song. As much as I love it, it doesn't have a "single" feel to it. I guess I also like it being one of those gems that is hidden on an album, and not "spoiled" by being a single. Selfish, I know.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 22, 2007 2:22:20 AM PDT
When originally recorded, "Yesterday" wasn't released as a UK single by the Beatles, but Matt Monro recorded it and his version made the UK top 10 single. Marianne Faithfull also covered it and had a minor UK hit around the same time. As somebody else pointed out, the Beatles version was released as a UK single over a decade later, when it made the top 10.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 22, 2007 3:36:38 PM PDT
Rick Vickers says:
'Yes It Is' was on the flip side of the single 'Ticket to Ride'

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 22, 2007 7:13:20 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Aug 22, 2007 10:04:08 PM PDT
ImEzekiel65 says:
No, I was not kidding about "Fixing A Hole". The song is catchy. Plus, I personally thought it had one of George's best solos ever. And it wasn't a single. Stacy asked and I answered.

There, I responded and I wasn't at all insulting about it like you were.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 23, 2007 6:23:36 AM PDT
Great songs each and every one folks(well except revolution #9). I'm afraid I agree with George Martin when he states that the white album should have been made into a spectacular single album instead of an unfocused double. Yoko did not belong in the studio with the Beatles.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 23, 2007 9:09:15 AM PDT
take403 says:
What would be cool is the entire Golden Slumbers/Carry That Weight/The End medley (in its entirety), especially The End. Btw, good comeback from Imezekiel. That's the wonderful thing about freedom!

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 23, 2007 1:20:18 PM PDT
Bass Boy:

I'm with you, Let It Be should be out on DVD, I loved that film, it showed how the songs came together, even if the band wasn't getting along. It was a fascinating look into how the Beatles worked in the studio and an awesome "last" concert on the roof of the Apple Studios building.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 23, 2007 1:45:31 PM PDT
hey todd, the long and winding road was a single!! just thought i would let you know.

i would have to vote for:
two of us
tomorrow never knows
For no one
If i needed someone
Bad Boy

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 23, 2007 1:54:14 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Aug 24, 2007 8:35:37 AM PDT
Hoagie Mike says:
Sun King
Mr. Moonlight
Yes It Is
Octopus' Garden
Good Morning, Good Morning
Hey Bulldog
The Night Before
Goodnight
You Won't See Me
Another Girl
Blue Jay Way
Your Mother Should Know
And Your Bird Can Sing
Dr. Robert
Lovely Rita
Baby You're A Rich Man
Sexy Sadie
Cry Baby Cry
The Word

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 9, 2007 3:18:27 PM PDT
Dwight says:
For no one
When I'm 64
Your mother shoud know
Honey pie

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 9, 2007 3:35:59 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Sep 9, 2007 3:37:20 PM PDT
The Walrus says:
"The Long and Winding Road"...was released as a single...in the US...in May '70...the B-side was..."For You Blue"...

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 9, 2007 3:49:00 PM PDT
I agree that 'It's For You' is a wonderful song - but it was originally written for Cilla Black who had a magical hit single with it in Britain in 1964. George Martin provided the arrangement and the production at Abbey Road. Two other songs the Fab Four gave away at around this time were 'Hello Little Girl' (to the Fourmost) and 'World Without Love' (Peter and Gordon).

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 10, 2007 1:39:57 PM PDT
Momcat says:
"Act Naturally" and "Julia"

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 11, 2008 3:45:11 PM PST
COME AND GET IT

should have been a "Beatles" single, or at least on BE or ABBEY. Why give it away!?

ps: "I Should Have Known Better" and "Baby You're A Rich Man" were both B sides.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 11, 2008 4:58:09 PM PST
T. LeBaron says:
I Should Have Known Better and Things We Said Today were both singles -- or at least ON singles.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 18, 2008 9:16:09 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Feb 18, 2008 9:18:04 AM PST
Tero says:
One that should have been a single:Oh Darling.

The "1" collection omitted one chart hit. My favorite actual single ever is Please Please Me. Though it has little of their instrumental skills, it records the tremendous energy the band had at the start.

I used to listen to a covers band do it and it became a favorite then. I had heard it before but only played live did it seem lie a gem. The band did strictly 60s covers, they were the Shakers, played Illinois, Wisconsin and Michigan. Etc, about 1980.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 18, 2008 3:06:54 PM PST
Since I am a firm believer that the Beatles non-hits were better than their hits anyway, I am going to say "Tomorrow Never Knows" for the sheer bravery and originality of it.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 18, 2008 3:19:34 PM PST
"Here, There, and Everywhere" is the slowest song the Beatles ever recorded. It is like a turtle trying to sludge through molasses. How can a sleep-inducing song be considered the best Beatles' non-single? There are other good slow Beatles songs like "Cry Baby Cry", "Sexy Sadie", "For No One", "Girl", "Julia", and "In My Life" that won't put the listener to sleep.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 18, 2008 3:35:40 PM PST
2 sides of the vast beatle spectrum..."here there and everywhere" and "happiness is a warm gun" 2 great would be singles by the best musical act this world has ever seen..and will never see another one like them...god bless john-paul-george and ringo
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Pop forum

Discussion Replies Latest Post
Announcement
Create Your Own Music Quiz At SoundUnwound!
3 Aug 29, 2014
Name 10 Song Titles - Part 3 8716 32 minutes ago
Aminita Satori Releases "Where Language Fails" As Intellectual Stoners Rejoice 0 1 day ago
Best live rock album? 29 2 days ago
Songs that creep you out 399 10 days ago
IQzic Music Discovery Platform Now Open To All 1 15 days ago
Chinese Rockers Second Hand Rose To Perform Paleo Festival, One of Europe's Largest Music Events 0 19 days ago
I'm OK--just something in my eye: Songs that make you weep 174 22 days ago
Name the artist or band who truly got you into music? 153 25 days ago
Favorite radio station growing up and why 79 26 days ago
ArtistMax To Present Three-Day Artist Development Sessions At LA's Legendary Village Studios 0 28 days ago
BEE GEES vs. The BEATLES 605 28 days ago

This discussion

Discussion in:  Pop forum
Participants:  72
Total posts:  102
Initial post:  Aug 15, 2007
Latest post:  Nov 28, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 10 customers

Search Customer Discussions