Customer Discussions > Pop forum

Bands from Australia

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 51-75 of 1000 posts in this discussion
Posted on Oct 27, 2009 12:57:45 PM PDT
I was going to comment on Split Enz being from New Zealand as well...:)

I'm a USA DJ but I know music from all over--in particular Scandinavian artists.

Lately a lot of great stuff coming from Down Under however: Indie bands 'Living End'/'Devoted Few' (and Canada's Pony Up may as well be), AC-DC reborn 'Casanovas' (where is their 3rd CD), and stuck-in-the-80s in a good but bizarre way 'Galvatrons' to name a few. One of my early favs, hopefully 'Architecture in Helsinki' will get on track for the next record...

There' a few single guilty pleasures too: It doesn't get much better than Vanessa Amorosi's "Absolutely Everybody", Delta Goodrem beat cancer and put out the gorgeous 'Out of the Blue', Gabriella Cilmi's 'Sweet About Me'/'Sanctuary' and aren't both Rick Springfield and Olivia Newton-John Aussies?

Posted on Oct 27, 2009 12:57:53 PM PDT
I was going to comment on Split Enz being from New Zealand as well...:)

I'm a USA DJ but I know music from all over--in particular Scandinavian artists.

Lately a lot of great stuff coming from Down Under however: Indie bands 'Living End'/'Devoted Few' (and Canada's Pony Up may as well be), AC-DC reborn 'Casanovas' (where is their 3rd CD), and stuck-in-the-80s in a good but bizarre way 'Galvatrons' to name a few. One of my early favs, hopefully 'Architecture in Helsinki' will get on track for the next record...

There' a few single guilty pleasures too: It doesn't get much better than Vanessa Amorosi's "Absolutely Everybody", Delta Goodrem beat cancer and put out the gorgeous 'Out of the Blue', Gabriella Cilmi's 'Sweet About Me'/'Sanctuary' and aren't both Rick Springfield and Olivia Newton-John Aussies?

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 27, 2009 1:29:01 PM PDT
John Cole says:
How could you forget Crowded House? I must say "Woodface" is the most underrated album and is my top 1o of all time. Not a bad song in the lot.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 27, 2009 3:11:04 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Oct 27, 2009 3:12:18 PM PDT
PETER XUEREB says:
Hi Matrim,
Just so you know the name of that classic Spectrum song is "I'll Be Gone". There are 2 versions of it, a single version and a longer LP version which seems to be slower and have more echo on it.
We Aussies seemed to have a habit of claiming Kiwi bands as our own such as Max Merrit & the Meteors, Ray Columbus & The Invaders, The La De Das featuring guitar legend Kevin Borich as well as Splet Inz and Drigon ((Kiwi pronunciations for Split Enz & Dragon respectively...lol)

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 27, 2009 3:24:18 PM PDT
"My local City team "The Crows" { Aussie Foootball(sic)} has for their unofficial anthem "The Holy Grail" by H&C which could be likened to "Eye Of The Tiger" as an inspirational sports song."

I've always found it rather incongruous that "Holy grail" is considered inspirational with lines like:

"We were full of beans
But we were dying like flies
And those big black birds,
they were circling in the sky,
And you know what they say, yeah,
Nobody deserves to die."

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 27, 2009 3:27:05 PM PDT
"Their (Spectrum) best selling hit was the now famous Someday I'll have money."

The song is actually called "I'll be gone".

A great version of this song is done by Manfred Manns earth band on the album "The good earth".

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 27, 2009 3:30:37 PM PDT
Mondo rock was a band formed by Ross Wilson after the demise of Daddy cool.

He has a compilation album called "Now listen" that covers his entire career, including the song "Eagle rock".

Posted on Oct 27, 2009 3:54:21 PM PDT
Val H. says:
I'm in Melbourne and while I like a lot of the bands mentioned here (didn't see my personal favourite Weddings, Parties, Anything), I'm probably more into solo artists (of the singer/songwriter or alt. country variety). This is a list I posted on another thread of recent acts I like. I own albums by nearly all of them and I reckon they're top class.

Chuck Jenkins (former lead singer of Ice Cream Hands); last album "Blue Atlas"
www.myspace.com/jenkinscharles

Sally Ford
www.myspace.com/sallyfordandthepachucoplayboys
Unfortunately her myspace site only focuses on her cuban stuff, can't see any of her great solo album "Births Deaths and Marriages"

Jordie Lane; new album "Sleeping Patterns"
www.myspace.com/jordielanemusic

Pete Ross; new album "Six String Suicide"
www.myspace.com/peterosslive

Sarah Carroll
www.myspace.com/sarahmichelecarroll

Liz Stringer
www.myspace.com/lizstringermusician

Perry Keyes
www.myspace.com/perrykeyes

Lucie Thorne new album "Black Across The Thorn"
www.myspace.com/luciethornemusic

Kim Dellavedova; new album "City Keepers"
www.myspace.com/citychariot

Dan Warner
www.myspace.com/thedanwarner

Van Walker; new album "The Last Record Store"
www.myspace.com/ramblinvanwalker

Wagons; new album "The Rise And Fall of Goodtown"
www.myspace.com/wagonsmusic

Royalchord; new album "The Good Fight"
www.myspace.com/royalchordroyalchord

Washington; new EP "How To Tame Lions"
www.myspace.com/meganwashington

Some record company sites with samples:
www.myspace.com/dustdevilmusiconline
www.myspace.com/croxtonrecordshq

And after seeing the Black Arms Band's show "Dirtsong" last week, please check out some of our Aboriginal artists like Kutcha Edwards, Archie Roach, Geoffrey Gurrumul Yunupingu, Sally Dastey, Ruby Hunter who are all doing great stuff and sadly are probably better known overseas than in their own country.

Posted on Oct 27, 2009 4:31:27 PM PDT
Newton-John is another example of Australians claiming ownership.

She was born in England, and even though her musical apprenticeship was served in Australia, she soon decamped to the US at the first opportunity, and most of her more well known efforts eminate from there.

Much the same as the Bee Gees and England.

All of the Easybeats were born elsewhere, but Australia is where they made their name, and I'm sure you'll find a lot of immigrants in the AC/ DC story as well.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 27, 2009 6:21:02 PM PDT
PETER XUEREB says:
Buck,
"Now Listen" is a great compilation. It includes a 14-yo Ross Wilson's stint with the Pink Finks in the mid 1960's alongside fellow DC guitarist Ross Hannaford performing killer blues and other tracks like "Louie, Louie".

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 27, 2009 6:26:15 PM PDT
[Deleted by the author on Oct 27, 2009 6:31:04 PM PDT]

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 27, 2009 6:28:10 PM PDT
Alexis says:
Buck, I have "The Good Earth" on vinyl.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 27, 2009 6:40:55 PM PDT
Alexis says:
Hi there Scott,

See, there you go, I didn't know "Architecture in Helsinki" were Australian. Or maybe I did.
As for Vanessa Amorosi, I detested "Absolutely Everybody" which for a time became a national anthem. I much prefer the stuff she's doing now which is rockier and which she has admitted she prefers doing.
Delta, lovely name, gorgeous face, bubbly personality, huge huge talent but I still don't like her songs. Good on her for beating Hodgkin's Disease and a much publicised ended love affair with love rat tennis star Mark Phillipousis. (I believe I'm starting to sound like a gossip columnist - yeech!) She also recently featured as a guest judge on Australian Idol. In my books, huge mistake as she appeared as trying to take over the show as the Delta Goodrem Hour. Yes, I'm ambivalent about the Delta Lady. , even though I acknowledge her talent. Before or during the time she fell ill, she managed to win 5 or 6 ARIA awards on the one night (they are the Australian equivalent to the Grammys) and she was still in her teens.
Gabriella Cilmi shows a lot of promise. Her good looks remind me of my niece.

Posted on Oct 27, 2009 6:48:26 PM PDT
"As for Vanessa Amorosi, I detested "Absolutely Everybody" which for a time became a national anthem. I much prefer the stuff she's doing now which is rockier and which she has admitted she prefers doing."

She certainly prefers to be a rock chick.

It's interesting that her break through hit, "Shine" was originally a lot darker song before Mark Holden got a hold of it and tweaked the lyrics.

It originally went:

"Everything you see,
Everyone you know
Is going to die."

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 27, 2009 6:50:00 PM PDT
"I have "The Good Earth" on vinyl."

Did you apply for that bit of land, or do you still have the inner sleeve with the application in the corner?

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 27, 2009 7:17:03 PM PDT
Alexis says:
No, it came with the disc and wouldn't play properly because of all the dirt. They should've stuck a warning label on it (much like gnocchis isn't pastas, it's potatoes)

Posted on Oct 27, 2009 10:11:03 PM PDT
Steve K says:
Good afternoon everyone,

This thread is kicking along nicely...as for the question is "NZ or Aussie"...it dont really care but i guess it comes down to what bands are percieved to be from here, made their music on our shores. Its a bit of a grey area but good for discussion.

Not much said yet on the Hoodoo Gurus....another classic band

Vanessa Amorosi is producing much better work now than her previous pop tunes,...however, to get a name for yourself its somewhere to start.

Hello Robert and Alexis.......Good work Buck

Cheers , Steve

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 27, 2009 10:32:42 PM PDT
PETER XUEREB says:
Buck,
A lot of Aussie rock in the 60's was generated by UK (& Dutch) immigrants to Australia including Billy Thorpe, Glenn Shorrock, John Farnham, (I think) Jim Keays, Bon Scott & The Easybeats (2 Englishmen, 1 Scot & 2 Dutch). AC/DC's Young Brothers (younger siblings of Ex-Easybeat George Young) pretty much spent their growing up years in Sydney so they are very much Aussies despite their Scottish background.
The Villawood Migrant Hostel in Sydney's Western suburbs was a hotbed of germinating rockers and this combined with the influence of Beatlemania from 1964 on was a catalyst for what was to follow.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 27, 2009 11:23:27 PM PDT
Alexis says:
Peter, I'm glad you didn't call yourself a 'paddophile' :)

How is beautiful downtown Paddington?

I loved Jim Keays "Boy from the Stars" as well as being frontman for Master's Apprentices.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 27, 2009 11:49:28 PM PDT
Even though I don't think Alexis is a fan, I have to bring up Cut /// Copy, especially since all my other picks have been mentioned lol.

Here's my favorite song of theirs: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=njVf-9PItvY.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 28, 2009 5:02:20 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Oct 28, 2009 5:02:56 AM PDT
Alexis says:
Lights and music
On my Mind
ah ahaha ha
Be my baby
One more time.....

sheer poetry

Posted on Oct 28, 2009 5:48:15 AM PDT
1.) Always had a soft spot for The Saints. Listened to "Eternally Yours" (my favorite of theirs) and "I'm Stranded" lots back in college.
You owe it to yourself to check out the "I'm Stranded" vid at YouTube so as to be reminded of how cool early punk could be.

2.) Always had a bit of a crush on cutie-camp-queen Kylie Minogue. She's like Madonna but with a sense of humor about herself. Wait .. she Is Australian, no?

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 28, 2009 6:09:15 AM PDT
J.M. Savory says:
T-Rex,

i second the Saints. between Chris Bailey's voice and Ed Kuepper's buzzsaw guitar, what's not to like? also worthwhile is their third album 'Prehistoric Sounds', the last with their original lineup. it's a blend of punk and soul music. check their cover of Otis Redding's "Security".

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 28, 2009 6:18:33 AM PDT
Alexis says:
Trex
Kylie is Australian, yes!

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 28, 2009 9:55:24 AM PDT
True dat, Alexis, true dat. Cut /// Copy is the only music that will be played in heaven!
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  Pop forum
Participants:  293
Total posts:  3366
Initial post:  Oct 25, 2009
Latest post:  Jun 22, 2014

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 15 customers

Search Customer Discussions