Customer Discussions > Pop forum

Bands from Australia

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 101-125 of 1000 posts in this discussion
Posted on Oct 30, 2009 12:11:31 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Oct 30, 2009 12:18:06 AM PDT
steve k -
hi mate -

the Icehouse you suggested "measure for measure" is quite a bit more expense for some reason than "man of colors", so i am going to try "man of colors" for now.
i will be ordering it along with the Japan and Not Drowning Waving over the weekend, so i will let you know when they arrive and how i like them.
thanks again for all of your help.

your friend
rob

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 30, 2009 1:47:16 AM PDT
Steve K says:
Robert

Hello....it just cant work it out...do you ever sleep?..or whats going on?... i come home from work and your there, i wake up and your there, im on late at night and your there!...dont get me wrong, its cool!.....

Anyway...i already decided i wanted to send you "Measure For Measure" as i was aware this is so hard to get now, yet...to me it is the most complete and flowing album they ever did... but you know how it goes in the "commercial" record industry....Perhaps the least commercial because it is so deep, some beautiful songs..especially "Angel Street"

I know you like PT, so this will suit...you have to trust me...it is emotional, and you will know this from the opening track. So, dont despair ..look forward as its on its way in a couple of days...The other good thing is our airline "Qantas" has NEVER smashed into mountainsides or vast oceans so coming airmail to you should be a good risk.

Keep posting

Stevo..{Sometimes called "NED"..links to Australian history......}

Posted on Oct 30, 2009 2:04:37 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Oct 30, 2009 2:31:28 AM PDT
stevo -

i am laughing about your comment about Qantas - its good they dont fly into mountainsides. i remember their old television ads that they showed in the states had a koala in them.....
i really dont sleep much (i have trouble with insomnia) - i guess thats why it seems like i am always on here.
anyway take care mate. i will be looking forward to the package. thanks a million. have a good weekend.

robbo

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 30, 2009 8:35:45 AM PDT
Lindy Morrison's odd and shifting time signature of her drums is a key component of what makes Cattle and Cain a great song.

Posted on Oct 30, 2009 12:33:27 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Oct 30, 2009 12:34:32 PM PDT
steve k -

hi mate !

wasnt their some sort of personal feud going on at one time between Iva Davies (icehouse) and Men At Work? i seem to remember something about Iva saying the Men At Work song "Down Under" was being disrepectful of Australia.

cheers !

Posted on Oct 30, 2009 1:55:01 PM PDT
K. Frankel says:
The Easybeats
Master's Apprentices (great 60s-early 70s band)
AC/DC
Radio Birdman
Hoo Doo Gurus
Nick Cave
The Church (the most under-rated band ever, imo)

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 30, 2009 2:44:18 PM PDT
Steve K says:
Robert,
Good morning,

I havent heard that one but what you heard does make sense. At that time in the early eighties Icehouse also released "Great Southern Land" as i mentioned on a previous thread. This song was very "serious" with meaningful lyrics about Australia, i loved it. Of course "Downunder" was a happy go lucky fun type joke song about our country...so of course they clashed with the message.

Also, you may remember we won the Americas Cup back in 83 and downunder was used as the theme or winning song played all over the tv stations, Great Southern Land had only been out a short time as well, some people may have preferred this as a better song to play...although it was a little downbeat for a happy occasion. So it does make sense what you are saying....both songs clashed regarding a description of our country to give to the international community.

Cheers
Steve

Posted on Oct 30, 2009 6:53:33 PM PDT
Val H. says:
One of my favourite bands from the last twenty years is deserving of a mention here - The Killjoys. Their 1990 album "Ruby" still sounds as fresh as the day it was made (ARIA award for Best Independent Album of 1990). And they're still going strong with Anna Burley's cool vocals still shimmering over Craig Pilkington's guitar and trumpet.

www.myspace.com/thekilljoysaustralia

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 30, 2009 8:01:00 PM PDT
E. Dill says:
Steve K.:

<<You mentioned Kasey {totally Country}, and Saints {Totally punk pioneers}...you have diverse tastes.>>

I went to record store in Chicago once and did one of my usual shops, looking for bargains of course and brought 5 or 6 albums to the counter and the clerk said something about shopping for the whole family or something. I said, no, they're all for me. She seemed puzzled by that. I had some free jazz, country blues, country, indie rock......most of my "general" bases covered and I wasn't actually trying for diversity. It just happened as it often does.

In my experience on yahoo and amazon message boards, if you find the right board(s), you can find amazingly eclectic tastes. My own experience has led me to expect that on the more generic boards like "pop" and "rock". When you get to sections that are dealing with more specific styles, I'd guess there are more chances that crossing the line might be trouble, i.e., mentioning Captain Beefheart on a country rock board, etc. Then again, I've never posted much on those "specialty boards" so I don't really know.

That diversity used to give me pleasure in that decided, early on, to make cassette tapes (remember them?) where I'd only tape bands/artists on the same tape with the same initial.....so the Beatles might be with the Beachboys or James Brown. Sometimes, in doing so with no thought to styles, I'd find weird combinations, like Roy Acuff (traditional country) with Aphex Twin (electronica) or the Boxtops (pop) with the Boredoms (Japanese noise rock) . I kind of liked that they were sharing a tape together but imagined serious rustling going on in my tape cabinets. Clearly, Aretha Franklin didn't think Foetus was soulful enough and Foetus thought she was too predictable.

ed.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 30, 2009 8:09:26 PM PDT
Alexis says:
Val, the Killjoys sound very familiar. Was going to check out the website but will do later. The name reminded me of the Falling Joys and the Clouds. Was Billy Baxter from New Zealand and who remembers Richard Pleasance?
I had a hard time locating some of these artists work but now have a Falling Joys and Billy Baxter cd. Still looking for Clouds (that sounds like a nice album title in itself). And I know there are some connections with all these bands but all those facts are elluding me right now.

Now Melanie Oxley collaborating with Chris Abrahams was something special and I think Melanie is related to one of The Sunnyboys I THINK. I was on a quest for more Melanie Oxley (and many many others) but that seems to have fallen by the wayside - I hope temporarily.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 30, 2009 8:13:17 PM PDT
Alexis says:
Ed, I like how your mind works.

>>I kind of liked that they were sharing a tape together but imagined serious rustling going on in my tape cabinets. Clearly, Aretha Franklin didn't think Foetus was soulful enough and Foetus thought she was too predictable. <<

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 31, 2009 6:45:54 AM PDT
Jerror says:
Clouds' "Thunderhead" is a great record... female vocals, interesting guitar, nice balance between edgy and ethereal. Worth finding!

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 31, 2009 7:11:18 AM PDT
Alexis says:
Thanks J.J.

Will look out for it. I wonder what the going price is for it nowadays, if it is at all available. Same goes for Rebecca's Empire's "Way of All Things". Last I looked, Amazon was asking around $47.00 for it.

Posted on Oct 31, 2009 7:14:45 AM PDT
JP says:
They sure ain't pop (yeah I know many of these bands aren't - I only say that because this IS a pop discussion forum) but I'm a big fan of Perth's Voyager. And I haven't even heard their new, 3rd, album!

The video for their new single, The Devil in Me, is on their website. Cool video, check it out.

http://www.voyager-australia.com/

They also have many videos on YouTube. While many are camcorder bootlegs, be sure to look for the video for the song Sober.

Posted on Nov 1, 2009 2:09:13 PM PST
Alexis says:
G'day Steve, Rob & others
Just thought I'd include Single Gun Theory to the mix as I mentioned them on another thread. There were some others around the same era, but will have dig further through my memory tapes (pretty dodgy when it comes to reliability).

Posted on Nov 1, 2009 2:13:02 PM PST
The Easybeats.... Flash and the Pan... Skyhook... Angel City

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 1, 2009 2:32:37 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 1, 2009 2:33:01 PM PST
Steve K says:
Hi Alexis,

You are mentioning so many bands i have yet to hear, can you tell me what era you are looking at or perhaps when you mention an artist can you put a date or note as to whether there current or not?...for reference....Thanks so much, you are doing a fine job on this thread.
PS..what about Cold Chisel...just love em

Steve.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 1, 2009 5:51:02 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 1, 2009 5:51:35 PM PST
Yes, Single gun theory, particularly their first two albums Millions Like Stars in My Hands, Daggers in My Heart, Wage War and Flow, River of My Soul.

I wonder if that is where the Black eyed peas got their "energy never dies" schtick from.

Posted on Nov 1, 2009 6:09:39 PM PST
You might like to consider the Underground lovers also.

Leaves Me Blind

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 1, 2009 6:23:03 PM PST
Steve K says:
Buck,

I think ive heard of the Underground Lovers, can you tell me something of them please.?

Steve

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 1, 2009 6:42:25 PM PST
Underground lovers never really attained any mainstream success, despite their latter albums being released on their own independent label named Mainstream.

Originally they began as two guys, in the shoe-gazing, jangly guitar mould, and later, added a female vocalist who also contributed to the instrumentation.

They eventually pitched their tent somewhere between Oasis and Joy division, but are now virtually back to where they started with the female vocalist going solo and the two guys reverting to the name they started with GBVB.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 1, 2009 6:43:11 PM PST
[Deleted by the author on Nov 1, 2009 6:43:33 PM PST]

Posted on Nov 1, 2009 7:33:24 PM PST
Icehouse were another great 80's band and their compilation "Great Southern Land" is worth picking up. I have been giggling at the Human Nature references and as much as I hate their "boy band" material, it sucks. I mean they did a cover of "Eternal Flame". I must give them credit though because vocally they can sing, probably as well as any other boy band out there.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 1, 2009 8:05:49 PM PST
Steve K says:
Buck, thanks mate..

Were these the same guys i remember from the early 80's? {Underground Lovers}

Steve

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 1, 2009 8:10:10 PM PST
Yes Steve, early eighties is about the right time period.
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  Pop forum
Participants:  293
Total posts:  3366
Initial post:  Oct 25, 2009
Latest post:  Jun 22, 2014

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 15 customers

Search Customer Discussions