Best Books of the Month Shop Costumes Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon Janet Jackson All-New Fire TV Stick with Voice Remote Grocery Introducing Handmade New Kitchen Scale from AmazonBasics Amazon Gift Card Offer gdwf gdwf gdwf  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 Kindle Voyage  McCartney Shop Now Learn more
Customer Discussions > Pop forum

The 897 Greatest Albums of All Time

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 201-225 of 1000 posts in this discussion
In reply to an earlier post on Oct 4, 2008 3:00:08 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jun 28, 2010 7:19:38 AM PDT
Mark F. says:

345. U2-With or Without You (#125)
344. Neil Young--Southern Man (8+)
343. Foghat--Fool for the City (4)

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 5, 2008 9:24:00 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Oct 5, 2008 9:24:35 AM PDT
E. Dill says:

874. Paul Westerberg--14 Songs (1993)

1. Knockin' on Mine (10)
2. First Glimmer (10)
3. World-Class Fad (10)
4. Runaway Wind (10)
5. Dice Behind Your Shades (10)
6. Even Here We Are (10)
7. Silver Naked Ladies (10)
8. A Few Minutes of Silence (8)
9. Someone I Once Knew (9)
10. Black Eyed Susan (9)
11. Things (9)
12. Something Is Me (8)
13. Mannequin Shop (9)
14. Down Love (9)

It had been awhile since I'd listened to this one. (One of the downfalls of "keeping up" is losing touch with your musical history). As I was listening, I was wondering if people who knew and maybe even liked Paul's work were that familiar with The Replacements. If not, they should be (actually, if they hate Paul, they'll probably hate the Mats, too.). Again, not being a musician restricts my sense of what I mean by his "signature sound" but it is one that I hardly ever get tired of. If he has a fault it is that he is, sometimes, quite a wordsmith and his words often are complex or clever enough to sound a bit "showy" rolling off his lips. Again, this is something I've mentioned about my love of Dylan. He NEVER, to me anyway, sounds self-satisfied by his lyrical power. Paul sometimes comes close.

Anyway, another winner for me as a listener. I knew a guy on yahoo who WAS the ultimate Mats fan and, it followed, a Westerberg fan. Not surprisingly, he quickly became a big Ryan Adams fan. I say that because, although Adams began his recording career in alt-country with Whiskeytown, they both have a certain style that leads me to believe that fans of one would translate well to the other. Then again, one thing about Adams that is a bit difference is his seeming "embracing" of not only rock n roll but the "idea" of rock n roll and being a rock n roll star. Someone once said that about him and I immediately thought of another....Courtney Love. In her case, more than Ryan's, the "idea" seemed to take hold more than the music. I mean, she made what I considered two rather powerful punky albums with Hole and then a rather under appreciated pop album. Unfortunately, the trappings of being a rocker seems to have gotten in the way of the music. With Ryan, he simply needs to slow down a bit with his output. But we WERE talking about Paul W., weren't we?

ramblin ed

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 5, 2008 11:30:06 AM PDT
why yes, ed! yes we were! *nudge, wink*

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 5, 2008 1:05:19 PM PDT
E. Dill says:

No, there is no "we"....remember? Say this quickly, 10 times...."I am a real person....I am a real person.....I am a real person."

All kidding aside (?), how are you these days, Keith? Do you still blow sax while sitting at the piano? (You don't get confused and try it the other way, do you? That conjures up images of Woody playing cello in a marching band!. BTW, I haven't wandered over to the yahoo board(s) recently to see if anything is still up. The strangest things happened to me and I always thought of myself as a "standup guy" (yeah, I know.....and McCain is a maverick). Around the time I found these boards, I went over and our bud (or altar ego), keed, was there giving the last rites to the yahoo boards and I made this pronouncement that regardless of whether EVERYONE left there, I'd continue posting, if only to myself. And, oddly enough, I meant EVERY word of it. Then, I never went back.

Am I real?

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 5, 2008 1:55:47 PM PDT
those were fun times, and i discovered so much about music... thanks, in great part, to you. sorry to interrupt the flow here, though (couldn't resist). you know me... i lurk, therefore i learn. btw, nice rating on 14 Songs!

your friendly neighborhood altered ego, jp

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 5, 2008 4:55:56 PM PDT
E. Dill says:

<<those were fun times>>....probably a bit more fun for you than me because I seemed to get into a couple of arguments that wound up defining myself to others throughout my stay there....all 6 or 7 years. Talk about stubborness. I should have packed up my music and left for parts unknown a long time before I did. It was a heady ride though and musically quite eclectic. It also taught me about the internet and more specifically message boards. They often can become "cults of personality" and "insiders' clubs". Also, since you can't measure vocal nuances (huh?), you run the risk of offending if you don't always speak literally or are adept at the liberal use of those little symbols to tell people when you're kidding (and I'd always thought that stuff was self evident in my language). Then there's the mystery of who's who. For instance, you ALWAYS were one of my favorites of the dozen or so regulars that came and went thru the yahoo boards I frequented. (Actually, it was more like "dozens".) I realize full well that I know NOTHING about you other than the fact that I loved to read your stuff. I think you're female and I last remembered you living in California....maybe. Then again, you could be keed or the guy from Turkey or me, for that matter. But it doesn't matter. As long as I know you're still around lurking, I'm quite satisfied.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 6, 2008 11:12:44 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jun 23, 2010 12:13:05 PM PDT
Mark F. says:

870. BB King and Eric Clapton--Riding With the King (2000) (3)

1. Riding With the King (?) (5)
2. Ten Long Years (?) (4)
3. Key to the Highway (?) (3)
4. Marry You (?) (3)
5. Three O'Clock Blues (?) (3)
6. Help the Poor (?) (3)
7. I Wanna Be (?) (2+)
8. Worried Life Blues (?) (4)
9. Days of Old (?) (5+)
10. When My Heart Beats Like a Hammer (?) (3)
11. Hold On! I'm Comin' (8)
12. Come Rain or Come Shine (5)

REVIEW: Nice sounding collaboration. Their singing voices go together well. I give it a 3.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 7, 2008 12:45:18 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jun 24, 2010 8:15:34 AM PDT
Mark F. says:

Thanks for the review.

I've looked ahead to the next 20 listings, and there's one or two that I might have a rating for! But not sure till I see the track listing. But I don't know enough about the next couple to rate (and have never heard of 868 at all--and later on, 856). As for the next one, I know one song.

869. Franz Ferdinand--Franz Ferdinand (2004; #32) (2)

1. Jacqueline (?) (2)
2. Tell Her Tonight (?) (2)
3. Take Me Out (7+)
4. The Dark of the Matinee (?) (2)
5. Auf Asche (?) (3)
6. Cheating on You (?) (2)
7. This Fire (?) (3)
8. Darts of Pleasure (?) (2)
9. Michael (?) (2)
10. Come on Home (?) (3)
11. 40 (?) (4+)

REVIEW: An album with potential with repeated listenings. I liked another song off their follow-up album called Do You Want To. But I'm only familiar with the one hit here, Take Me Out. A 2 for now.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 8, 2008 12:17:08 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jun 23, 2010 12:32:22 PM PDT
Mark F. says:

Thanks for the update.

Up next is an album by someone I've never heard of.

868. Mason Jennings--Use Your Voice (2004) (0)

1. Crown (?) (4+)
2. The Light (Part II) (?) (3+) (What happened to part 1?)
3. Empire Builder (?) (-)
4. Fourteen Pictures (?) (2+)
5. Lemon Grove Avenue (?) (-)
6. Keepin' it Real (?) (4+)
7. Ballad of Paul and Shiela (?) (-)
8. Southern Cross (?) (-)
9. Drinking As Religion (?) (-)
10. Ulysses (?) (2)

REVIEW: Little of this album was available on YouTube. Still, I heard enough to know that there's potential for liking it. Sounds like a cross between Dylan and Steve Goodman. A 0 for unfamiliarity.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 8, 2008 4:43:25 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jun 23, 2010 12:34:07 PM PDT
Mark F. says:

Thanks for the Subdudes review--definitely the lowest we've seen from you.

And here's one that might be the highest rating from me:

867. Tears for Fears--Songs From the Big Chair (1985; #1--5 weeks) (5)

1. Shout (7+)
2. The Working Hour (?) (2)
3. Everybody Wants to Rule the World (8+)
4. Mothers Talk (3+)
5. I Believe (?) (3)
6. Broken (5)
7. Head Over Heels/Broken (Live) (8)
8. Listen (?) (3)

REVIEW: A few great tracks on this one. I give it a 5.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 8, 2008 7:25:34 PM PDT
Mark F. says:

I'm guessing the list entry referred to the original Broadway show album (though could that be called a "soundtrack"? If it can't, they might have meant the movie, or they just misnamed it), but when I tried to listen to the tracks on YouTube some of them were from the movie soundtrack. I assume the songs were fairly faithful to the original versions. I've had to listen to some live versions from other albums, as those were the only full-length versions available. At least that way I can get the gist of what the song is like. You're right about the years--the Broadway show was from 1969; the movie was from 1979.

342. Police--Spirits in the Material World (2)

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 9, 2008 1:53:54 PM PDT
E. Dill says:

Since things have been slow here (and I've helped the "slowdown" with my snails paced reviews....hopefully a few will be done tonight), I thought I'd make a quick statement on the world at large and our country in particular....

What happened to those fat cat money manipulators? I know. Some of them went to a fancy hotel/spa to lick their wounds and discuss strategies for the future. Boy, did that go over big with the populace.

What amazes me about some of the talking heads on tv and the people who play the market is the naivite of their comments. Many were asking, quite puzzled, why the system hadn't corrected itself the day after the 700 billion package was passed. Huh? I mean, I know next to nothing about the manipulations of the market, to include leveraging, how banks give credit to each other, "commercial paper" that companies regularly use to "make payroll", etc. But I surely knew that if the bailout had ANY possible short term affect it would be in restoring some modicum of confidence to the market. So far, it hasn't worked in any demonstrable way. The main thing to watch for is when the Treasury Dept actually begins "spending" some of that 700 billion on buying up some of the less "collateralled" loans, hopefully allowing the banks, free from so much of the questionable debt, to again begin givinig credit, hopefully in a more professional manner. If they DO that with a 100 billion or so and the banks STILL won't give credit, we may start thinking 1929. I mean, other than lending money directly to banks (with what?), I'm not sure how much more they can do. Maybe this "semi-free market" economy of ours needs this kind of "crash/house cleaning" every 20 years or so. I think we had one almost as bad in 1983 or so. When I was ready to leave the Federal government, they were redoing their retirement system. Older employees like myself could opt for the new plan which amounted to investing your money in a kind of 401k plan or sticking with the civil service retirement plan. I decided to stick with the looks like a decent decision today.

I hope everyone is in a position to "ride" out this mess without too much hardship. And I hope we all are reminded of the fragility of the system when we next are deciding whether we should buy those new his and hers submarines from Leman/Marcus. (sp?)

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 9, 2008 2:20:54 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jun 24, 2010 8:16:32 AM PDT
Mark F. says:

Good review.

866. Alicia Keys--Songs in A Minor (2001; #1) (0)

1. Piano and I (?) (5)
2. Girlfriend (?) (2)
3. How Come You Don't Call Me (?) (4)
4. Fallin' (4)
5. Troubles (?) (2)
6. Rock Wit You (?) (3)
7. A Woman's Worth (?) (2)
8. Jane Doe (?) (3)
9. Goodbye (?) (3)
10. The Life (?) (3)
11. Mr. Man (duet with Jimmy Cozier) (?) (2)
12. Never Felt This Way (Interlude) (?) (3)
13. Butterflyz (?) (3)
14. Why Do I Feel So Sad? (?) (3)
15. Caged Bird (?) (4)
16. Lovin' You (hidden track) (?) (4) (Echoes of A Natural Woman)

REVIEW: All I knew here was Fallin'. Not bad, but doesn't rise above the level of ordinary R&B to me. Another 0.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 9, 2008 2:49:20 PM PDT
Daryl Bolton says:
1. Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band, The Beatles

2. Pet Sounds, The Beach Boys

3. Revolver, The Beatles

4. Highway 61 Revisited, Bob Dylan

5. Rubber Soul, The Beatles

6. What's Going On, Marvin Gaye

7. Exile on Main Street, The Rolling Stones

8. London Calling, The Clash

9. Blonde on Blonde, Bob Dylan

10. The Beatles ("The White Album"), The Beatles

11. The Sun Sessions, Elvis Presley

12. Kind of Blue, Miles Davis

13. Velvet Underground and Nico, The Velvet Underground

14. Abbey Road, The Beatles

15. Are You Experienced?, The Jimi Hendrix Experience

16. Blood on the Tracks, Bob Dylan

17. Nevermind, Nirvana

18. Born to Run, Bruce Springsteen

19. Astral Weeks, Van Morrison

20. Thriller, Michael Jackson

21. The Great Twenty-Eight, Chuck Berry

22. Plastic Ono Band, John Lennon

23. Innervisions, Stevie Wonder

24. Live at the Apollo (1963), James Brown

25. Rumours, Fleetwood Mac

26. The Joshua Tree, U2

27. King of the Delta Blues Singers, Vol. 1, Robert Johnson

28. Who's Next, The Who

29. Led Zeppelin, Led Zeppelin

30. Blue, Joni Mitchell

31. Bringing It All Back Home, Bob Dylan

32. Let It Bleed, The Rolling Stones

33. Ramones, Ramones

34. Music From Big Pink, The Band

35. The Rise and Fall of Ziggy Stardust and the Spiders From Mars, David Bowie

36. Tapestry, Carole King

37. Hotel California, The Eagles

38. The Anthology, 1947 - 1972, Muddy Waters

39. Please Please Me, The Beatles

40. Forever Changes, Love

41. Never Mind the Bollocks, Here's the Sex Pistols, The Sex Pistols

42. The Doors, The Doors

43. The Dark Side of the Moon, Pink Floyd

44. Horses, Patti Smith

45. The Band, The Band

46. Legend, Bob Marley and the Wailers

47. A Love Supreme, John Coltrane

48. It Takes a Nation of Millions to Hold Us Back, Public Enemy

49. At Fillmore East, The Allman Brothers Band

50. Here's Little Richard, Little Richard

51. Bridge Over Troubled Water, Simon and Garfunkel

52. Greatest Hits, Al Green

53. The Birth of Soul: The Complete Atlantic Rhythm and Blues Recordings, 1952 - 1959, Ray Charles

54. Electric Ladyland, The Jimi Hendrix Experience

55. Elvis Presley, Elvis Presley

56. Songs in the Key of Life, Stevie Wonder

57. Beggars Banquet, The Rolling Stones

58. Trout Mask Replica, Captain Beefheart and His Magic Band

59. Meet the Beatles, The Beatles

60. Greatest Hits, Sly and the Family Stone

61. Appetite for Destruction, Guns n' Roses

62. Achtung Baby, U2

63. Sticky Fingers, The Rolling Stones

64. Phil Spector, Back to Mono (1958 - 1969), Various Artists

65. Moondance, Van Morrison

66. Led Zeppelin IV, Led Zeppelin

67. The Stranger, Billy Joel

68. Off the Wall, Michael Jackson

69. Superfly, Curtis Mayfield

70. Physical Graffiti, Led Zeppelin

71. After the Gold Rush, Neil Young

72. Purple Rain, Prince

73. Back in Black, AC/DC

74. Otis Blue, Otis Redding

75. Led Zeppelin II, Led Zeppelin

76. Imagine, John Lennon

77. The Clash, The Clash

78. Harvest, Neil Young

79. Star Time, James Brown

80. Odessey and Oracle, The Zombies

81. Graceland, Paul Simon

82. Axis: Bold as Love, The Jimi Hendrix Experience

83. I Never Loved a Man the Way I Love You, Aretha Franklin

84. Lady Soul, Aretha Franklin

85. Born in the U.S.A., Bruce Springsteen

86. Let It Be, The Beatles

87. The Wall, Pink Floyd

88. At Folsom Prison, Johnny Cash

89. Dusty in Memphis, Dusty Springfield

90. Talking Book, Stevie Wonder

91. Goodbye Yellow Brick Road, Elton John

92. 20 Golden Greats, Buddy Holly

93. Sign 'o' the Times, Prince

94. Bitches Brew, Miles Davis

95. Green River, Creedence Clearwater Revival

96. Tommy, The Who

97. The Freewheelin' Bob Dylan, Bob Dylan

98. This Year's Model, Elvis Costello

99. There's a Riot Goin' On, Sly and the Family Stone

100. In the Wee Small Hours, Frank Sinatra

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 9, 2008 10:03:06 PM PDT
E. Dill says:

At least you could give Rolling Stone some credit.....

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 10, 2008 1:46:26 PM PDT
Mark F. says:

Thanks for your review.

Up next is an album I'm sure I have somewhere, but I found four others but not this one. Oh well, I hope I can listen at YouTube.

865. Blondie--Blondie (1976) (0)

1. X-Offender (?) (3)
2. Little Girl Lies (?) (2)
3. In the Flesh (?) (2)
4. Look Good in Blue (?) (2)
5. In the Sun (?) (2)
6. A Shark in Jet's Clothing (?) (2)
7. Man Overboard (?) (2)
8. Rip Her to Shreds (?) (2)
9. Rifle Range (?) (2)
10. Kung-Fu Girls (?) (2)
11. The Attack of the Giant Ants (?) (2)

REVIEW: Nothing much here that catches my ear. If I do have the album, I doubt I've spun it more than once or twice (but I recall the cover vividly, so I think I do have it). At any rate, I'm happy they improved from this opening effort. It gets a 0.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 12, 2008 8:25:17 AM PDT
Mark F. says:

You're not interrupting--welcome to the'll see that Ed is far more qualified than I to rate these forte is singles, and while I have a lot of albums I'm not prone to paying too much attention to them beyond the songs I know and like. But the people over at the singles thread I started at the beginning of the year were champing at the bit to get the albums thread started, so I obliged (and a lot of them seem to have disappeared--but we'll be going on with this for a very long time, so they're welcome to drop in at any point). And feel free to submit your ratings of any or all of the albums under review.

This is from a 500 greatest rock song list I quote from when I'm not reviewing an album:

341. Judas Priest--Livin' After Midnight (7)

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 12, 2008 9:30:41 AM PDT
Mark F. says:

Well, I think you're right about having to "cleanse" the system every so often, and I think this one goes back to the end of WWII and is the result of a confluence of factors, the biggest being America's unsustainable lifestyle (which you hinted at in your last sentence) since that time. It was exacerbated with the dawning of the Age of Reagan, which has resulted in a slow, consistent dismantling of the market protections put in place by FDR and the New Deal Democrats. I think the more circumspect proponents of free-market ideology have been chastened by what's happened and realize that either extreme--complete and total lassiez-faire, unregulated economic functions (which leads to unchecked greed creating a free-for-all, in this case, most notably in the housing and credit areas of the economy; or total government ownership of the markets, which leads to totalitarianism--is unworkable and unsustainable. There will always be those partisan hacks--a lot of whom I've heard from recently--who will go down in flames blaming it on "the Democrats like Frank and Dodd"--notwithstanding the fact that for 14 years the Republicans have controlled everything--under Bush even since the House of Reps became Democrat (the Senate never really has because Leiberman made their 51-49 majority a 50-50 split by essentially going with the Repubs--and anyone who denies that just needs to watch him as he became joined at the hip with McCain during this campaign) because nothing gets passed unless Bush agrees to it; and then even before that with Clinton because the Republicans controlled both houses going back to 1994, and no legislation could pass unless there was significant Republican agreement. But these people are "small picture" ideologues who just want to feel good about themselves by pointing the finger at those that they despise. I blame both parties (more so the Republicans because their ideology is more geared toward unbridled free-market theories, and because of the power they've had for 14 years), but also the Dems because they've basically been a lighter version of the Repubs.

340. David Bowie--Rebel Rebel (8)

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 12, 2008 9:25:14 PM PDT
E. Dill says:

Catching up:

#883 - Mazzy Star - So Tonight That I Might See (1993)

1. Fade Into You (10)
2. Bells Ring (10) I like the juxtaposition between Hope's vocals and the fuzz guitar underneath...shades of Jesus and Mary Chain?
3. Mary of Silence (10)...begins with a little Doorsian organ and then Hope's vocals and and Roback's guitar take over.
4. Five String Serenade (10) the combo of Hope's voice and a later-era Arthur Lee song...
5. Blue Light (10)
6. She's My Baby (10)...a bit on the kinky side?
7. Unreflected (9)
8. Wasted (10) Roback's bluesy guitar works well with Hope's voice.
9. Into Dust (10)
10. So Tonight That I Might See (10)...I love the almost hypnotic guitar riff in the background.....and, of course, Hope's voice.

Comments: What can I say? I LOVE her voice and the way it's used here. While there is surely a "sameness" to it in style/tenor, I never get tired of it here. Some of it is the arrangements behind her. One thing is clear, though. I suspect that the earlier albums I rate as "10"'s will have had a lot more obsessive/excessive play over the years than the later ones. It's not just the sheer number of years I've had them to play. It's the amount of music I've collected and tried to keep up with. I'm sure (who remembers clearly) I LOVED this when I first heard it but it hasn't been played that often since. That, of course, doesn't change how I feel about it. It's also an album that could be enjoyed with the lights down low at a low to sensible volume or on "11" with the speakers bursting.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 12, 2008 9:55:22 PM PDT
E. Dill says:

#875 - Sigur Ros - Takk.... (2005)

1 Takk...(8) An introductory piece that hard to judge on its own
2 Glósóli (10) We hear that "other-worldly voice".....
3 Hoppípolla (9)
4 Meo Blódnasir (9)
5. Sé Lest (10)
6 Saeglopur (10)
7. Milanó (9)
8. Gong (10)
9. Andvari (10)
10. Svo Hljótt (10)
11. Heysátan (10)

comments: I had written a much more elaborate review complete with specific times within a given song where I'd wished they'd made different choices, usually by NOT using a violin section.....still, often when the dynamics of a song would change by adding instrumentation and volume, it worked. I can't listen to this album as an album of songs. It is a unified piece to me regardless of the intent. Allmusic says some things in their review that I don't hear at comparing it to an earlier Sigur Ros album, ( ), (that IS the title of the album!), they suggest that this one is not as somber or dirge-like and while I would agree with that, they seem to suggest this one as a "day in the park". I find it's overall mood to be quite different. As I've mentioned before, allmusic assigns descriptive words to most albums they review, "mood" words and "theme" words. Here are the ones they use for this album....I've asterisked the ones I agree with.....

Austere *
Intimate *
Ethereal *
Reflective *
Insular *
Hypnotic *
Delicate *
Intense *
Atmospheric *
Soothing *
Searching *

Long Walk
Sweet Dreams
Solitude *
Introspection *

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 12, 2008 10:19:23 PM PDT
E. Dill says:

#873 - Randy Newman - Good Old Boys (1974)

1 Rednecks (10) A of my favorite Newman songs
2. Birmingham (8)
3. Marie (9)
4. Mr. President (Have Pity on the Working Man) (8)
5. Guilty (9)
6. Louisiana 1927 (9)
7. Every Man a King (7) (co-written by Huey Long?)
8. Kingfish (9) ode to "Huey"..
9. Naked Man (7)
10 A Wedding in Cherokee County (9)
11 Back on My Feet Again (9)
12 Rollin' (9)

comments: I've been a Randy Newman fan since I heard his first album....actually, I began with, for me, his best, Sail Away. Then I went backwards in his discography before proceeding forwards. For me, this album IS "Rednecks", a great song with a great ironic ending. Just when, as a Northern liberal, you think of what those poor blacks suffered with in the deep south, you get reminded of things up north.....

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 13, 2008 2:21:22 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Oct 13, 2008 5:42:17 AM PDT
Alexis says:

<<That conjures up images of Woody playing cello in a marching band>>

Were you referring to Woody Allen's "Take the Money and Run" ? That was my introduction to Woody's early material and remember thinking at the time what a fine documentary it was. Couldn't figure out why they kept calling him Virgil instead of Woody though.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 13, 2008 7:06:09 AM PDT
Alexis says:
Hello Mark and everyone. It's been awhile since my last review and I'm seriously lagging behind as usual.

885. Bless it's pointed little head/Jefferson Airplane

I was wondering who's pointed little head they were referring to. I keep thinking of Harry Nilsson's "The Point" but probably no connection.

And rather than lose the point altogether............ Nothing slick about this recording, a little rough around the edges but it comes together rather well. After all, we are talking 1969 here AND live - gotta love that it a nostalgic ambience........makes you want to unearth the paisleys and tie dyes. No's already been done!! What do they call it now........RETRO.
Sorry folks, it is late. I'm tired and way off track.
I wouldn't mind listening to the whole album properly because my rating won't do it justice. 7/10 for now perhaps 8/10. Go ask Alice.........Alex doesn't live here anymore.

Again, my apologies.

Now, what was the point........

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 13, 2008 1:06:48 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jun 24, 2010 8:23:11 AM PDT
Mark F. says:

Yeah, wasn't it Michael Trossman who used to post uncredited lists on the singles thread? I don't know what possesses people to do that. I won't review Daryl's list here as most of the albums will probably appear somewhere in the 897 and we can do those that don't afterward (hopefully some kind soul like Valerie or long-lost Marco can tell us which didn't appear). And speaking of long-lost contributors, it looks like it's down to you and me for the regulars! Even Valerie and Alexis have been missing for quite some time. That's OK; this list is going to take a long, long time and people can feel free to jump in at any time. I just hope everyone is doing well and hope to see them on here soon!

Up next is an album I have (but not currently with me):

864. Elton John--Elton John (1970; #4) (2)

1. Your Song (8+)
2. I Need You to Turn To (?) (3)
3. Take Me to the Pilot (6)
4. No Shoe Strings on Louise (?) (2+)
5. First Episode at Hienton (?) (4+)
6. Sixty Years On (?) (2)
7. Border Song (3+)
8. The Greatest Discovery (?) (2)
9. The Cage (?) (2)
10. The King Must Die (?) (2)

REVIEW: A good first outing, with songs like Your Song and Take Me to the Pilot foreshadowing the gems to come. A 2 for now.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 13, 2008 3:02:55 PM PDT
E. Dill says:

While I'm not ready to take Elton's album on right now, I must say that when I first heard it (him), I was taken by it (him). The "it" was, initially, "Your Song" and then later, the album as a whole. Simply put, I thought Elton had a wonderful pop/rock voice and quite a few exemplary songs. I've always wondered about his announcement that he was gay. Without checking on the dates, it always seemed to me that his popularity AND his talent (to me) seemed to wane after his "outing" of himself. At the time, I thought he was trying to compete with Bowie whose initial success seemed to be connected to his androgyny as well as his talent. Regardless of what it was, I seemed to lose interest in Elton circa 1974-75. Maybe it was those trashy wigs he began wearing.

[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Pop forum

This discussion

Discussion in:  Pop forum
Participants:  100
Total posts:  3893
Initial post:  Sep 9, 2008
Latest post:  Jun 30, 2015

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 16 customers

Search Customer Discussions