Industrial-Sized Deals Best Books of the Month Shop Women's Handbags Learn more nav_sap_plcc_6M_fly_beacon $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Off to College Essentials Shop Popular Services tmnt tmnt tmnt  Amazon Echo Starting at $99 Kindle Voyage AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Big Savings in the Amazon Fall Sportsman Event Deal of the Day
Customer Discussions > Pop forum

Songs that creep you out

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 26-50 of 408 posts in this discussion
In reply to an earlier post on Apr 3, 2007 10:46:13 AM PDT
Aaron says:
Grade school age, late at night in the dark, "Don't Fear The Reaper" freaked me out in a good way, like a good scary movie. Also back then, Ohio Players' "RollerCoaster" had a scream in it. The rumor was that the scream was a tape of someone actually falling off a roller coaster. At age 8 or so, pretty creepy.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 3, 2007 6:07:17 PM PDT
The Doors "Riders on the Storm" and Vicki Lawrence's "The Nights the Lights Went Out in Georgia" completely freaked me out when I was a kid.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 3, 2007 7:49:51 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Apr 3, 2007 7:56:19 PM PDT
S. Koch says:
Sheila, I know what you mean about Vicki's song, that one scared me also for some reason, I just can't remember why. Also the Ohio Players "Love Rollercoaster" song completely scared me every time it came on. Aaron, I remember the story differently, but there is an Urban Legend tied to it you are correct. I remember it being about some lady in a room next to the studio who was stabbed while they were recording it, and her screams were caught on tape and left in the mix somehow. Or some deal like that. I fell for it at the time. To this day I think about it whenever I hear it. "The Night Chicago Died" sort of creeped me out back then also.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 3, 2007 8:03:35 PM PDT
Christopher says:
"Good Morning Beautiful" by The The. Sounds like the end of the world to me, and freaks out anybody I've played it for.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 3, 2007 8:05:47 PM PDT
Jim says:
Spiders and Snakes by Jim Stafford
Itsy Bitsy Spider-Jiminy Cricket I think

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 3, 2007 8:29:24 PM PDT
S. - I can tell you exactly why "That's the Night..." creeped me out. The line about the guy laying in a puddle of blood. I had nightmare's about it and my friends would sing it to me to scare me.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 4, 2007 3:05:30 AM PDT
C. Perkins says:
on a less sanguinary note ; i found Tom Jones' SexBomb particularly icky: a plump middle-aged man in tight fitting pants :
..Sex Bomb Sex Bomb I'm your Sex Bomb...

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 4, 2007 5:54:44 AM PDT
Greg Brady says:
I actually think "Pick You Up" is a great lullaby. But I'll second you on "Tomboy". It's only slightly more bearable on a bootleg I have but probably because they seem to be MOCKING the song. Even they knew it was a stinker I think...

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 4, 2007 5:56:17 AM PDT
Greg Brady says:
Jones IS a sex bomb. I wish I were as cool...

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 4, 2007 7:33:46 AM PDT
Any horror movie buff could tell you what it means to be "creeped out" ('crept out"??) in a good way.

Musically, I'd say the original side two of THE MARBLE INDEX, nearly all of Kate Bush's THE DREAMING and, of course, "Sister RAy."

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 4, 2007 9:26:43 AM PDT
I need more cowbell, dammit!

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 4, 2007 9:29:21 AM PDT
Anything by Eminem!

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 4, 2007 6:17:19 PM PDT
radiogal says:
Coil's version of "Tainted Love"--probably because I remember the video from the 80s--extremely creepy. I don't think I ever heard that version on the radio; it's too dirgelike.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 4, 2007 8:59:46 PM PDT
Marilyn Manson's version of the Eurythmics "Sweet Dreams". Come to think of it, the original was pretty creepy too.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 4, 2007 9:32:51 PM PDT
radiogal: I've only heard Coil's "Tainted Love" on the radio a handful of times...and I was always the DJ. Brilliant rendition and an eerie video complete with cameo by Marc Almond as the Angel of Death.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 5, 2007 5:43:36 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Apr 5, 2007 5:45:42 AM PDT
Matt says:
Okay, for one, I can't believe no one's mentioned "They're Coming to Take Me Away, Ha Haaaa!!!" yet. That song is extremely disturbing. And also anything by Marilyn Manson.

Sheila, while I do think that "Sweet Dreams" is one of their best songs, I will have to agree with you on the fact that it is a bit creepy.

Oh, and "Love Rollercoaster" doesn't scare me, but I do think it's one of the weirdest songs ever recorded. "Love Rollacoasta chile!"

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 5, 2007 8:29:28 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Apr 5, 2007 9:12:18 AM PDT
Aaron says:
S, I did later hear of the women being stabbed during the recording of "Love Rollercoaster". That was much more plausible than someone falling off a rollercoaster -- although as a kid, I fell for it :-).

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 5, 2007 8:33:56 AM PDT
Aaron says:
Oh yeah, "They're Coming to Take Me Away, Ha Haaaa!!!" I think that was made by co-Mayor of the Sunset Strip Kim Fowley, who did some pretty creepy things himself. Warning, adult material: According to The Runaways, he would make them watch as he "got busy" with another woman in a hotel room. And when Cherie Currie once got up to leave, he yelled, "Down Dog!" Creepy. (From the documentary Mayor of Sunset Strip).

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 5, 2007 10:02:28 AM PDT
Sully59 says:
Fleetwood Mac's "Green Manalishi". Peter Green supposedly wrote this during the period when he was losing a little grip on reality, and this was a vivid nightmare he had. Great song, but spooky to think it was something he actually "experienced".

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 5, 2007 11:34:56 AM PDT
Matt-
The flipside to "They're Coming To Take Me Away" is even weirder. It's the same song recorded backwards.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 5, 2007 1:59:51 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Apr 7, 2007 6:58:15 PM PDT
J. Simon says:
If we mean "creep out" in a frightening way, "Stigmata Martyr" by Bauhaus has always had that effect on me. Something about the Lating chanting and screaming. Also, anything by The Birthday Party, especially "Sonny's Burning" which begins with Nick Cave screaming "Hands Up! Who Wants to Die!!"

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 7, 2007 6:29:24 PM PDT
Wayne Klein says:
It's a brilliant song but it can give me the creeps--Richard Thompson's "Love in a Faithless Country"

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 8, 2007 7:34:50 AM PDT
morganna1228 says:
i like marilyn manson, but i agree, "sweet dreams" gave me the shivers when i heard it. granted, that was probably what he was going for, & it worked.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 8, 2007 11:23:00 AM PDT
Tduff says:
Black Sabbath by Black Sabbath- after I heard that one when I was little, I thought the Devil was gonna possess me.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 8, 2007 12:44:25 PM PDT
[Deleted by Amazon on Feb 17, 2010 1:26:42 AM PST]
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  Pop forum
Participants:  242
Total posts:  408
Initial post:  Mar 30, 2007
Latest post:  Jul 20, 2015

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 22 customers

Search Customer Discussions