One- Metallica

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 17, 2007 11:26:58 AM PDT
Susan Healy says:
Art Lover - The Kinks

Hell is for Children - Pat Benetar

Playground in my Mind -- I forget who did that one

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 17, 2007 12:16:11 PM PDT
Petty Fan says:
Any of the top 40 music today.Mainly R&B...

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 17, 2007 5:22:32 PM PDT
E. Dill says:
Yeah, what HAPPENED to listenable r&b anyway? I blame Boyz 2 Men.

BTW, I DO like Erykah Badu (be still my heart) and Maxwell. If I was a woman, I'd surely think he's sexy. But has anyone (those that even know who he is) seen that first video of him "We'll Keep Rockin til the Cops Come Knockin" or something like that. Again, it's sexy as hell but he spends most of the time writhing on the floor at the feet of his lady friend. What's up Maxwell.....you itching to be spanked?

(for those curious, the aforementioned video is on youtube

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 17, 2007 5:55:55 PM PDT
paris says:
creep out in a bad way

would be ANY NIN song! even the infamous "closer" freaks me out!

marylin manson in his hayday he had quite a few songs that were creepy.

that song? "sweet dreams" cover

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 17, 2007 6:18:17 PM PDT
E. Dill says:
Lisa Germano's album "Geek the Girl" is quite disturbing in parts. For those who don't know the name, she was the original fiddle player for Mellencamp during his Lonesome Jubilee period....the cute one in the videos barefooted. She left John and went on her own and has released 5 or 6 wonderful albums....she may SING in a kind of whisper, but her lyrics convey a lot of emotion.

There is a song in the album which is clearly about rape or molestation of some sort. The album makes Neil;s "Tonights the Night" sound upbeat.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 18, 2007 7:33:49 AM PDT
I have been hearing this song a lot lately and it creeps me out every time. I just keep wondering "Are people not hearing what he's saying?" And when you hearing the little girl's voice she sounds VERY young!

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 18, 2007 11:36:58 AM PDT
M. Finley says:
Thank you. Sally Go 'Round the Roses is the creepiest song ever. What is it about? Who were these people? The world may never know.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 18, 2007 11:39:42 AM PDT
M. Finley says:
Ever heard Zager and Evans' "Mr. Turnkey"? Very creepy. It's about a guy who is in jail for killing his wife who by the end of the song has nailed his own arm to the jail cell wall.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 18, 2007 12:23:00 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jul 18, 2007 1:05:25 PM PDT
Blamstermash says:
Has anyone mentioned "Ben" by Michael Jackson? Talk about creepy, the ultimate Creep singing about a pestilential pet.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 18, 2007 1:44:40 PM PDT
E. Dill says:
On death songs:

Generally, I didn't care for them that much. It wasn't only the depressing, sometimes morbid lyrics, it was the simpiness of the delivery. So we had some uber-white guys singing souless songs about death and dying. Echh!

I must admit that when such songs were done a bit more soulfully (after all, we're talking death and dying here, not the senior prom!), I did like them, morbidity and all. The aforementioned Shanga-la's did a few including the classic Leader of the Pack. It even has "sound effects" of the crash, yet I liked it still. But one that I both loved and hated is an obscurity for sure. In Cleveland, a rather historic city in the 50's for the advent of "rock radio"...Alan Freed and all....this song was "banned" by various stations for its musical misery. The name of the tune is Death of an Angel by Donald Wood (I think). The singer sings "I want my baby home, I know that she is gone" and then the chorus begins sobbing, uncontrollably. Wow! Now that I think of it, I HAVE an album of obscure songs by the label (I forget) which includes Donald Wood AND the original version of Louie Louie by the writer, Richard Berry. (As much as I love the Kingsmen's version of LL, I love the original, too). Anyway, I have that collection but can't recall if Death of an Angel is on it.

It IS a creepy song. The reason for its ban at the time was explained as a deep concern that the song could drive someone who'd suffered a recent loss to suicide. Now THAT's CREEPY!

ed.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 18, 2007 2:28:45 PM PDT
The creepiest tribute ever to good-old-boy American paranoia: "Pretty Smart on My Part," by Phil Ochs!

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 18, 2007 3:48:29 PM PDT
David Lord says:
Ben was the creepy song I most remember from my childhood. After that creepy became cool.

I remember loving DOA by Bloodrock because it was scary on 2 levels. The overt interpretation was that the singer has been in an airplane crash:

"We were flying along- when we hit something in the air."

Of course, even as a teen it was obvious to me that more probably the singer is describing his last moments due to a very bad (drug) trip. That song, along with Three Dog Night's Mama Told Me Not To Come embodied the end of the peace, love and enlightenment through drugs era far more emphatically than Don McLean's American Pie. They were the brick wall in your face that ended the decade of hope. American Pie has far more meaning to me now (A thorough analysis of that song takes about a dozen pages!) but those two songs were a sledgehammer to the head to get your attention as a teen.

The era of hope being over it seemed like politics all but disappeared from the pop music scene, nothing was left to unify youth culture and most of us were left desperately searching for something meaningful to attach our identities to. With the rise of FM radio the time was right for music to splinter us all into innumerable subcultures. Then- AOR, disco, punk... Now- hundreds more.

But- getting back on topic, does You're Not The One on Blue Oyster Cult's Mirrors freak other people out as much as me? "You're not the one (I was looking for) but you're the one for me..." is an atypical boy girl relationship song. But buried in the very first bridge / break right after the first verse/chorus you hear the sound of chipmunks.

On my turntable I slowed it down by turning the table manually at 1/8th speed and you hear "Our father is in heaven- Satan. Furthermore, Our father who art in heaven- Satan." They say a few other lines before this but they are covered up by drum beats.

I am not talking about vocals that supposedly say one thing forward and another backward like Stairway to Heaven, I am talking about an obvious vocal track that anyone who listens will hear and know without a doubt that it was intentionally recorded into the mix. But at 8 times normal speed it just sounds like audible chipmunks when played at regular speed.

Somehow I get the feeling that when they sing "You're not the one I was looking for, But you're the one for me" that they are not really singing about a girl.

Another song on this album appears to be about demonic aliens- "I know they're out there. We see them coming. Faster than the speed of light They greet us in the dead of night...
They'll be light and sound. They'll alight on the ground on which we stand.
Someday someone Will help us to survive.
They're gonna show us hell and bring us back alive."

Pretty bizarre.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 18, 2007 4:20:35 PM PDT
E. Dill says:
Now that I think of it, Muskrat Love is quite creepy. I mean the song, not the right of any muskrat to get it on......but, as God intended, ONLY with another willing muskrat.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 18, 2007 4:25:16 PM PDT
[Deleted by Amazon on Feb 9, 2010 4:30:31 PM PST]

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 18, 2007 5:06:26 PM PDT
Antithetical says:
Some of the tracks from SWANS "Soundtracks for the Blind"
Coil "The Anal Staircase"
Fire & Ice "Huldra's Maze"
Maybe some of the Cold Meat Industry stuff... In Slaughter Natives "Vulture" for example

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 18, 2007 5:13:37 PM PDT
I have to agree about "Knoxville Girl" by the Louvin Brothers - heard it earlier this week on Bob Dylan's Theme Time Radio Hour. Truly spooky.

When I was a teen, I used to scare myself silly by listening to "Acid Annapolis" from Leon Russell's Carney album with the headphones turned way up. Very creepy.

I also like the Floyd's "One of These Days" - the sole lyric is a spoken sentence: "One of these days, I'm going to cut you into little pieces." Deliciously scarifying.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 18, 2007 5:37:41 PM PDT
No one's picking "In Dreams" with regard to "The Candy Colored Clown they Call The Sandman" esp. after Blue Velvet? No Chlorophobes (I hope I spelled that right.)

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 18, 2007 5:43:01 PM PDT
Sounds like the plot of "The Ring."

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 18, 2007 7:25:13 PM PDT
E. Dill says:
I love Roy Orbison and his mini-operas about lost love, etc. but what in the hell was "Candy Man" all about anyway? I mean, sure, giving candy to an of age sweetheart is perfectly acceptable but when a guy talks to a "girl" about being her "candy man"....well, I begin to get a bit suspicious.

'Yeah, candy, candy, candy
I've got sweet, sweet news for you
Yeah, candy, candy, candy
I've got sweet, sweet news for you'

Yeah, Roy. I got it.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 12, 2007 11:35:04 AM PDT
A Hermit says:
"...some velvet morning, when I'm straight..."

Very spooky sounding.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 12, 2007 11:40:48 AM PDT
E. Dill says:
How about Peel's "The Pope Smokes Dope"....

ed.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 12, 2007 11:55:13 AM PDT
I'm On Fire by Bruce Springsteen.

"Hey, little girl, is your Daddy home? Did he go and leave you all alone? I've got a bad desire. Oh, oh, I'm on fire."

I still get the creeps when this song comes on.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 12, 2007 12:04:14 PM PDT
"Lullaby" by The Cure

"and i feel like i'm being eaten
by a thousand million shivering furry holes"
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Pop forum

This discussion

Discussion in:  Pop forum
Participants:  227
Total posts:  387
Initial post:  Mar 30, 2007
Latest post:  Jul 2, 2014

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 20 customers

Search Customer Discussions