Customer Discussions > Pop forum

Bowie Or Roxy Music You Make The Call

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-21 of 21 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Jul 4, 2009 6:07:34 PM PDT
bowie

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 4, 2009 6:25:09 PM PDT
ED S. says:
Bowie...there probably would be no 'Glam' Rock if it wasn't for Bowie. He was the leader. I do love both and I got into bowie before his fame (only by a few months) and believe me the rock magazines did articles on any one who even hinted at being 'Glam', (think Roy Wood's Wizard). But Bowie brought it to the fore....Besides, he's really good!

Posted on Jul 4, 2009 7:30:35 PM PDT
For staying power and riding the rocket of his creativity until flame out, the edge has to go to Bowie. He transcended glam and even kept the respect of the generation who like punk and new wave--because he was new wave. He even seems to have invented, or helped to invent, gothic sub-genres of rock.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 13, 2009 6:23:16 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jul 13, 2009 8:11:32 AM PDT
J.M. Savory says:
Roxy Music.

neither Bowie nor Roxy have made a better than average album in about the same amount of time. Bowie did some interesting stuff in the '90's, but IMHO he hasn't made a really good album since 'Scary Monsters'. Roxy hasn't made any new studio records since 'Avalon.

however, since Bowie had many hits here in the US, and Roxy only had one ("Love Is The Drug") i tend to listen to Roxy more frequently than Bowie.

Charles:

Roxy Music was also popular with punk and post-punk artists. they were also a "new wave" when they first came out. just listen to artists like the Psychedelic Furs and Japan for evidence of their influence.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 13, 2009 6:57:07 AM PDT
club 7 says:
bowie was the better tunesmith and delved into many experimental phases that kept him ahead of the the game (low, heroes) but roxy to me are more unique and outside the box.
they made music from another world and i'm talking in particular the eno days such as the "for your pleasure" album.
their early material was more adventurous and i think they hit their peak with "siren" which is a combination of the adventurous experimental and the melodic sophistication that they would later refine to a t with "avalon".
then again, bowie with aladdin sane dished out glam rock (watch that man), cabaret ala brecht weil (time), and the undefinable (aladdin sane).
so my conclusion is that these are both unique highly original artists who consistatly gave us works of art that rewarded and challenged us with their eccentricities, adventurous nature, and melodic value.

Fave Roxy Music albums= Siren, Avalon, Country Life
Fave Bowie Albums= Aladdin Sane (Amazing Record!), Low, Ziggy Stardust

Posted on Jul 13, 2009 8:14:14 AM PDT
E. Dill says:
I'd give it to Bowie for overall and lasting influence but I must add a caveat. I can think of few albums in my lifetime that shook me musically as much as Roxy Music's self titled 1972 debut. I remember quite clearly finding it amongst some promos in a head shop and what struck me was the weird look of the band members. Bryan had yet to don his "matinee idol" look and looked like a space aged rockabilly artist and I didn't know WHAT to think of Eno. That first cut, Virginia Plain, was a chilling experience for me.....there was NOTHING like it. A transcendent experience. Of course, after the 2nd album, Eno was gone and so was his influence on the sound. Roxy Music continued to make great albums but I still look back to the "feel" of that first one.....my initial experience with Bowie was a bit less dramatic, except for the weird "Anthony Newley" sound to his voice which I took to from the beginning.

So, again, overall, I'd give it to Bowie. But that first "Roxy Music" album still is amazing to me, especially when taken in the context of 1972. Wow!

ed.

Posted on Aug 5, 2009 6:05:19 AM PDT
zozo4ever says:
bowies a genius, but genius steals from brilliant and original. roxy music in its 71-76 incarnation was brilliant and original

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 5, 2009 10:50:40 AM PDT
I flip a coin...

Posted on Aug 5, 2009 10:59:03 AM PDT
Heads - It's: BOWIE

Posted on Aug 5, 2009 11:06:05 AM PDT
J. Delaney says:
They both had good musicians in the band, but I'll give the nod to Bowie.

Posted on Aug 5, 2009 11:25:25 AM PDT
I like both...but BOWIE did "Scary Monsters", "Low", "Lodger" and "Station To Station"...so it's BOWIE for me.

Posted on Aug 5, 2009 11:26:29 AM PDT
I saw Bowie in 76' I think, Station to Station Tour and Bryan Ferry in the late 80's, both were great. I like Bowie's music more, but again Roxy was cool

Posted on Aug 6, 2009 4:22:10 PM PDT
lifewontwait says:
Roxy Music.

What Jason S. Royale said.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 6, 2009 9:49:15 PM PDT
Wayne Klein says:
Roxy Music but hey why can't we have both? Eno (who was a member of Roxy Music first) helped Bowie with his most innovative music.

Posted on Aug 7, 2009 11:42:40 AM PDT
H. Nguyen says:
Roxy is good, but Bowie for sure.

Posted on Aug 7, 2009 12:21:12 PM PDT
W.H. says:
David Bowie

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 1, 2013 10:19:47 AM PST
Bowie by far.

Posted on Mar 7, 2013 8:25:10 PM PST
S. Stalcup says:
What do Bryan Ferry and Angela Bowie have in common? They were both in relationships with someone who slept with Mick Jagger!

Thank you. I'm here all week. You're a lovely audience.

Posted on Apr 13, 2013 3:42:07 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Apr 13, 2013 10:02:19 PM PDT
JBug says:
Bowie, although I love Roxy Music

Posted on Apr 13, 2013 8:43:21 PM PDT
Bowie

Posted on Apr 14, 2013 1:56:06 PM PDT
Yohann Tsiro says:
Roxy.

I respect Bowie, but much of his stuff leaves me emotionally cold. Roxy, on the other hand sizzles with life.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  Pop forum
Participants:  21
Total posts:  21
Initial post:  Jul 4, 2009
Latest post:  Apr 14, 2013

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 1 customer

Search Customer Discussions