buying Alice Cooper's "Billion Dollar Babies", when I heard "I Love
The Dead" that was all she wrote, I gave it away:

I love the dead before they're cold
Their blueing flesh for me to hold
Cadaver eyes upon me see...
Nothing

The first time I heard Chris Rea's "The Road To Hell" it was about
one in the morning, I was in the middle of nowhere in Indiana and
they played the complete version. That definitely creeped me out.

There is one other song that is so simple & innocent yet it bothers
me every time I hear it still. I think it was called "The Three Bells" by The Browns. It starts with the chapel bells ringing
because little Jimmy Brown was born, they are rung again because
Jimmy is getting married, and they finally ring on a cloudy
morning because Jimmy Brown has passed away.

There sure were a lot of teenage tragedy songs out in the '50's
and early '60's.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 12, 2007 12:14:50 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Sep 12, 2007 12:18:28 PM PDT
take403 says:
"Time In a Bottle" by Jim Croce

Even though it's a song about hope, it probably also spooked his widow, Ingrid when it became a hit. My parents were away when the plane carrying Jim crashed. As a kid having to hear it all the time on the radio, I didn't even realize how much it spooked me. Years later, my wife shared a story of how one person played it on a jukebox, later to be ambushed. Great song but not one I want to remember as one of his lasts (it was on his 1st solo album, so that took an edge off it).

Mother Love - Queen
If you thought "The Show Must Go On" was creepingly sad, you may note this is the last song Freddie sang and he couldn't finish it.

Time Has Come Today - The Chambers Brothers
The screaming sounds and sinister laugh near the end of the long version still give me the creeps! Keep the lights on if you listen to this!

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 12, 2007 12:35:58 PM PDT
M. J. Gawlik says:
My baby's gone and left me, left me all alone
My baby's gone and left me all alone, so alone
I want my baby home, ooh ooh

I still remember the day she went away
That was the day my angel left me to stay, oh no no
I want my baby home, ooohhhhh

I know that she is gone (sobbing chorus)
Oh, oh ohhhhhh

That was the death of an angel
Don't know what or why
I want to be beside her
But I'm 'fraid to die

Oh ohh, I want my baby back home (anguished scream)
I want my baby home
I know that she is gone
Still I want her home
Oh, ohhh, oohhh
why, why, why

Death Of An Angel by Donald and Doris Wood

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 12, 2007 12:44:33 PM PDT
outlawguy says:
"they're coming to take me away haha".that song scared the crap out of me when i was a kid

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 12, 2007 2:15:10 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Sep 12, 2007 2:29:54 PM PDT
Iceblossom says:
I went through this entire thread, so maybe I missed it. Am I the only one creeped out by Urge Overkill's version of Girl, You'll be a Woman Soon?

I mean Neal Diamond bad enough... maybe it's just Pulp Fiction that does it.

And the biggie -- Blue Velvet. You can't watch the David Lynch film and ever feel the same way about that song ever again.

PS -- Mellow Yellow, I thought that was the supposed drug made from 14 pounds of banana peels. At least there is a recipe in the Anarchist's Cookbook for something like that.

PPS - The scene in the credits for Rocky and Bullwinkle when the lightening crashes and they fall off the mountain and into the ground and come up as daisies always bothered me. Still does. I mean, that's creepy!

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 12, 2007 3:00:33 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Sep 12, 2007 3:04:27 PM PDT
J. Wade says:
Hey how about Bennie Mardones - "Into The Night" which was a hit twice on the Billboard Hot 100 charts (in 1980 and even bigger in 1986). "She's just sixteen years old, leave her alone they say..." But he can't leave her alone because all the fools out there just don't understand his love for this little girl.

And how could we forget about "Fool (if You Think It's Over) by Chris Rea? Ok, he's singing about a 17 year old, but he was in his mid-30's when that song was popular in 1978. "I'll buy your first good wine, ooh we'll have a real good time. Save your cryin' for the day..."

This is kinda fun, but my money for the most unabashedly over the top lyric would go to the seemingly benign pop song from the 50's, Elvis Presley's - "Jailhouse Rock". This song isn't about older-younger sexual relations, but it beyond me how when in the time they were censoring Elvis on television just for moving, they allowed him to record a blatantly sexual song. Since co-ed jails don't exist even today, it had to be homosexual in nature, and it isn't even subtle.

"Number forty-seven said to number three:
Youre the cutest jailbird I ever did see.
I sure would be delighted with your company,
Come on and do the jailhouse rock with me.
..."

I, love it, but I still find it odd that the paranoia of the times didn't see this one for what it is.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 12, 2007 5:26:03 PM PDT
jimbvis says:
The most disturbing song of all time, bar none, has to be "Daddy" by Korn. ELO's "Fire on High" gave me the creeps too, and "Under Ice" by Kate Bush. Or another weird song (and Google the lyrics on this one if you want to) is "This Girl is a Woman Now" by Gary Puckett and the Union Gap.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 12, 2007 5:32:35 PM PDT
"Felix the Cat" theme song sung by Collide...

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 13, 2007 9:25:38 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Sep 15, 2007 11:13:00 AM PDT
M. J. Gawlik says:
How about extending this to album covers that creep you out? Edgar Winter's "They Only Come Out At Night" is downright disturbing.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 18, 2007 7:25:19 PM PDT
I think the creepiest (as in scariest) song for me is "Get Out of My House" by Kate Bush. It's totally frightening. I read somewhere that she based the song on the movie "The Shining."

Also, I can't listen to anything by Nina Hagen. Her voice is absolutely demonic.

And, of course, any time I hear "Tubular Bells" I immediately go back to a downtown Philadelphia theater, watching the movie "The Exorcist" and trying to convince myself "it's only a movie...it's only a movie."

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 19, 2007 7:09:52 AM PDT
S. R. Pratt says:
"DOA" by Bloodrock
"Billion Dollar Babies" by Alice Cooper (kind of creepy, but I still like the song)
"Iron Man" by Black Sabbath
"God of Thunder" by Kiss (freaky guitar riff, kids squealing in the background, static from a radio...weird)
"Tubular Bells" by Mike Oldfield

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 21, 2007 12:11:41 AM PDT
MoJangles says:
..hmmm, i'd probably say "Every Move You Make" by THE POLICE. Instrumentally it sounds friendly and poppy, but when u read the lyrics it's about an insane obsession.

Now that's skill..

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 21, 2007 7:27:01 AM PDT
P. Seminara says:
MO: It's "EVERY BREATH YOU TAKE"

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 21, 2007 8:04:00 AM PDT
[Deleted by Amazon on Feb 9, 2010 4:25:31 PM PST]

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 21, 2007 11:47:26 AM PDT
Ristobee says:
"Muskrat Love." There's something creepy about celebrating rodent romance in song. No offense to Mickey and Minnie.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 23, 2007 10:46:13 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Sep 23, 2007 1:06:05 PM PDT
TM77 says:
In Silence, Sadness and Solitude(the entire cd) - Raison D'Etre
Revolution #9 - The Beatles

I can't say the follwing creep me out now but they did at one time -

Umbrella - Siouxsie & The Banshees
The Steps - Visage
Frontier - Dead Can Dance

I've yet to listen to them, but I heard of a group called Megaptera, who's music is supposed to be so scary it sends shivers up the spine of the listener.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 23, 2007 12:17:17 PM PDT
K. C., Vail says:
i just watched the documentary about their singer roky erickson, wow, what a story....that's a great song, by the way.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 23, 2007 12:18:40 PM PDT
K. C., Vail says:
yes my boy lollipop is dreadful that song makes me creeped out and sick at the same time...strawberry fields forever used to scare me as a kid, they way it faded back in at the end, it just sounded so creepy...as does 'FIRE' by THE CRAZY WORLD OF ARTHUR BROWN.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 23, 2007 12:53:14 PM PDT
R. Griswold says:
Half of Alice Coopers songs from the 70s,,,just look at the titles to know which ones

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 23, 2007 1:09:48 PM PDT
[Deleted by Amazon on Feb 9, 2010 4:24:31 PM PST]

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 23, 2007 1:55:30 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Sep 23, 2007 1:55:46 PM PDT
S. Koch says:
TM77--Nice to see another fan of Raison D'Etre's work. Not to mention Dead Can Dance being one of my all time favorites.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 24, 2007 4:05:18 AM PDT
much creepier from BOC - Veterans of the Psychic Wars

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 24, 2007 6:09:03 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Sep 24, 2007 6:29:21 AM PDT
glumstubble says:
The Jarboe-sung Gira songs Hypogirl and Mississippi have to be among the most transcendently eerie pieces ever performed...along with all else Jarboe, Swans, Gira, that is :} Check out Jarboe's 'Anhedoniac'...or Gira's 'New Mother' from his Angels of Light incarnation. Pretty much everything from Diamanda Galas & Nick Cave's 'From Her To Eternity' weigh in pretty heavily as well.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 24, 2007 8:18:40 AM PDT
George Davis says:
Kristin Hersh - "Your Ghost" - it's a beautiful and haunting song. Never fails to make me shiver.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 24, 2007 9:12:23 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Sep 24, 2007 9:12:52 AM PDT
Sheri says:
Dream Weaver by Gary Wright....the beginning of the song used to scare the crap out of me when I was a little kid, not to mention the LP cover art of him in a coffin!!!!! :-O
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Pop forum

Discussion Replies Latest Post
Announcement
Create Your Own Music Quiz At SoundUnwound!
3 Aug 29, 2014
Name 10 Song Titles - Part 3 9098 3 hours ago
Xprnc Media Working With Eagle Rock On National Promotion Of Rolling Stones Release 0 10 hours ago
Songs that creep you out 404 16 hours ago
What Are You Listening To....Now or Recently? 7253 2 days ago
The Most Stuck Up Arrogant Rock Bands Ungrateful Rock Groups? 87 3 days ago
BEE GEES vs. The BEATLES 612 6 days ago
The 897 Greatest Albums of All Time 3892 7 days ago
Your 3 Favorite Guitarists 138 7 days ago
3 favourite bass players ( from any genre ) 57 7 days ago
THIRSTY - Quireboys Founder And British Rock Musician, Guy Bailey, Launched The Eponymous Debut Album THIRSTY 0 13 days ago
"Countrified" Newcomer Leslie Cours Mather's Video Premieres Worldwide Today On Country Fix 0 14 days ago

This discussion

Discussion in:  Pop forum
Participants:  239
Total posts:  405
Initial post:  Mar 30, 2007
Latest post:  16 hours ago

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 22 customers

Search Customer Discussions