Customer Discussions > Pop forum

What Are You Listening To....Now or Recently?

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 101-125 of 1000 posts in this discussion
In reply to an earlier post on Sep 14, 2007 5:39:12 AM PDT
Linda says:
Queen, lots of Queen and of course solo Freddie Mercury. My healthy addiction and fat free too.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 14, 2007 6:39:53 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Sep 14, 2007 6:41:12 AM PDT
J. May says:
Hi. Right now I've been listening to a lot of Sarah Brightman, via my Library. I'm trying to decide if I like her voice or not. I liked it best in "Phantom of The Opera". I tend to go on music "binges", so that's where I'm at Now. I'm kind of looking for some music that sounds "Angelic"-Please don't puke ;-). If anyone can suggest some singer or CDS I would really appreciate it.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 14, 2007 6:45:50 AM PDT
Hi J. May, after reading your post, I believe you might enjoy "East Village Opera Company". Imagine a traditional opera with 2 amazing pop vocalists, a drummer that sounds like John Bonham(Led Zeppelin), and a guitarist who plays like Van Halen! Very,very cool arrangements of well known opera pieces that kind of sounds as if Queen performed them. One of my fave discs of the last year or so.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 14, 2007 1:35:33 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Sep 14, 2007 1:36:47 PM PDT
J. May says:
Thank you Benjamin J. Neiman. That sounds really different and very cool. I will look into it and see if Amazon has any samples that I can listen to. Thanks again for suggesting something, it is appreciated :)

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 14, 2007 2:30:14 PM PDT
one of Black Sabbath's masterpieces: Sabbath, Bloody Sabbath.........I don't listen to crap they try to put across as music!

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 14, 2007 2:41:50 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Sep 14, 2007 3:07:47 PM PDT
Iceblossom says:
Hey Ed, you mentioned wanting to covert some of your vinyl to digital format. I've been looking into it lately and it really isn't that hard.

With your standard set up with a turntable and receiver, you just need a cord with the stereo type jacks (good old red and white) with a computer mic plug on the other end. I picked up one the other day at RE-PC (I took an old XEROX memory writer typewriter there for recycling) for about $5.00, my cord is maybe 8 feet long so it won't reach my system but it will reach my husband's.

Then you need some software, I'm looking at Audacity, try this link for that

http://www.download.com/3000-2182-10639669.html

And that's about it. Well, yeah, your computer needs a sound card, and you need to be able to burn discs but I'm taking that as a given.

As to what I'm listening to... lately it's been a lot of early Bob Dylan (if I'm listening to "old" Dylan, is that when he was young, or is it new Dylan??).

I put on some Steely Dan last night because of the thread from the Classic Rock fourm.

Today, however, I went to Goodwill and picked up Chumbawumba (Tubthumper), Midnight Oil (Blue Sky Mining), a Was/Not Was (What Up Dog), and a Sisters with Voices (New Begining). Plus, I'm waiting for a couple of CDs I ordered from Amazon sellers that might make it this weekend (heehee, nothing special a Gerry Rafferty collection and 60s Gold).

Oh yeah, I also picked up a early 70s K-tel album and an Alan Sherman comedy album on vinyl.

So, I should be reasonably set for the weekend.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 14, 2007 4:02:14 PM PDT
E. Dill says:
Thanks for the words about "burning" cd's from discs. I guess I should quit thinking about it and just DO it. Part of the problem is in the logistics. I'm trying to think of what turntable I have that would be easiest to get into my computer room. I have a few smaller solid state units with a built in amp, pre amp, cassette recorder/player, etc. They would be much easier to move to the computer than my components. I'll give it some thought. The male end of the cable connections may need some work like yours did. As for the software, I'm wondering if it can be done with the existing Windows Media. If not, I'll look into the Audacity thing.

I mentioned on another board that I'm also looking into some software that allows the downloading and burning of audio and/or video from youtube.com. I'd LOVE to be able to do that....

Young Dylan IS "old Dylan" which does sound weird. I actually missed old Dylan and actually familiarized myself with him initially thru other people's versions of his songs (to think I actually first heard "Blowin in the wind" by PP&M). After getting into his electric stuff, I backtracked and picked up all his earlier albums in one big swoop. I AM a big Dylan fan although I've still never really tried to get into some of his "lesser" works like Self Portrait and the "born again" trilogy.

I like Steely Dan but I wish they weren't such perfectionists with their instrumentation. I think their music suffers by being a bit sterile. The lyrics are so "out there" but their instrumentals sometimes border on "jazz-lite". I still love them though.

It looks like you found some good ones at Goodwill. I've seldom found good cd's there but HAVE found some GREAT albums and cassettes at giveaway prices. I don't know who Sisters with Voices is....

BTW, K-Tel, which used to be a bit of a joke with some of their collections but recently they've gotten a bit edgy.

ed.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 14, 2007 4:08:34 PM PDT
Clarence "Gatemouth" Brown / Rock 'n' Roll 8 5:54 Various Whole Lotta Blues - Songs of Led Zeppelin blues

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 14, 2007 4:15:20 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Sep 14, 2007 4:21:19 PM PDT
Iceblossom says:
Ed, you can buy a turntable that has the connections ready made, they cost around $100. The software that comes with the one I was looking at (before I decided to buy a $5 cord) was Audacity. You can use Windows Media but the Audacity comes with some nice options.

Here's a couple of options --

Audio-Technica AT-LP2D LP-to-Digital Recording System

http://www.firebox.com/index.html?dir=firebox&action=product&pid=1401&src_t=wnp

The cord I got is now a standard cord option, the big thing is you need the big plugs for the receiver end and the mic plug for computer end. Should be easily found at all sorts of stores.

Sisters with Voices would be considered R&B. Here's their website

http://www.swvonline.com/indexx.html

or you can just search for them here on amazon and listen to sound clips

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 14, 2007 5:04:24 PM PDT
Lately:

Red Sparowes - "At the Soundless Dawn" and "Every Red Heart Shines Toward the Red Sun"
Grails - "Black Tar Prophecies" and "Burning Off Impurities"
Mogwai - "Rock Action" (I always forget how good this album is until I listen to it)
Explosions in the Sky - "Those Who Tell the Truth Shall Die, Those Who Tell the Truth Shall Live Forever"
Minsk - "Out of a Center Which is Neither Dead Nor Alive" and "Ritual Fires of Abandonment"
Baroness - "Red Album"
Knifeladder - "The Spectacle"
Gojira - "From Mars to Sirius"
The Knife - "Silent Shout"
Liars - "Liars", "They Threw Us All in a Trench and Stuck a Monument on Top", "They Were Wrong, So We Drowned", and "Drum's Not Dead"
Rwake - "Voices of Omens"
McLusky - "McLusky Do Dallas" and "The Difference Between Me and You is That I Am Not on Fire"
Frantic Bleep - "The Sense Apparatus"
How Like A Winter - "...Beyond My Grey Wake"
Menomena - "I Am the Fun Blame Monster!"
Neurosis - "Through Silver in Blood" and "Given to the Rising"
plus a few tracks here and there from:
Blonde Redhead
Death from Above 1979
Immortal
Isis
Jesu
Les Savy Fav
Animal Collective
High on Fire
Om

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 18, 2007 6:02:32 PM PDT
Jennifer C

Very nice list.

Just purchased these and started listening to them yesterday:

EMPEROR - Prometheus-The Discipline Of Fire & Demise
PELICAN - The Fire In Our Throats Will Beckon The Thaw
MINDROT - Dawning
RED HARVEST - Cold Dark Matter (replacing another stolen CD here)
DIM MAK - Dim Mak

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 18, 2007 6:18:12 PM PDT
[Deleted by Amazon on Feb 9, 2010 4:25:32 PM PST]

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 18, 2007 7:24:09 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Sep 18, 2007 8:23:43 PM PDT
Bacco says:
Jack Bruce Cities of the Heart
Stanley Clarke Journey to love
Rolling Stones Aftermath (UK)
BB King greatest hits

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 18, 2007 7:41:34 PM PDT
E. Dill says:
Manowar:

You realize, of course, that a lot of people probably think that "Sabbath, Bloody Sabbath" IS some of that crap "they" try to put across as music....

Personally, I'm a bit wishy washy about Sabbath. I recognize them as heavy metal icons (I prefer Paranoid, an obvious choice) but as to early heavy metal groups, I'll stick with Zeppelin.

ed.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 19, 2007 11:25:39 PM PDT
G. Nicholl says:
Just finishing up the album "Atlantis, Hymns for Disco" by K-OS

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 20, 2007 7:24:36 AM PDT
E. Dill says:
I haven't heard that but I love Neneh Cherry. I thought her early albums never got the attention they deserved (ok, I thought she was nice to look at, too.)

She is the daughter of Don Cherry who played trumpet with Ornette Coleman for years. Her brother (or step brother) is Eagle Eye(d) Cherry, a kind of soul-popster.

Ok, Neneh, let's see that buffalo stance again....

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 22, 2007 11:29:10 AM PDT
E. Dill says:
Right now, I'm busy listening to new stuff AND burning old stuff I have on vinyl or cassette to cd (no, not DIRECT burning YET...I'm using library cd's where possible). Do I like the sound of cd's better than vinyl? Probably not, except for the wear and tear on vinyl over the years. I'm NOT nor have I ever been a ritualistic vinyl user, with the careful handling from the edges or side, the wiping carefully with a soft cloth, the movement to the spindle, the careful cueing, the removal, perhaps with a cloth again to pick up any new dust, the insertion in the inner sleeve, careful to put the sleeve in the jacket so the open side is NOT on the open side of the jacket and the use, of course, of an OUTER plastic sleeve.

I mock but I also kind of am awestruck of people who could do that their whole life.....like the excitement of playing records wouldn't cause them to "cut corners" thereby exposing their records to the obvious pitfalls. (I also am awestruck by kids who'd get perfect attendance awards...it found those MUCH MORE an accomplishment than my honor roll certs. I NEVER EVER came close to perfect attendance, usually closing in on the point where they'd give you an "incomplete". My poor parents, especially my MOM, never had the wherewithall to tell me, "Ed, you're not sick enough to stay home?". )

So, I'm listening to XTC's Waxworks retrospective....it's great! Before that, I copied the Hitsville Motown singles comp for the 1959-1970.....again, I can't/won't copy ALL my vinyl (20-30,000) or cassettes (who knows?) but selected ones. I want the convenience of the cd and no scratches, pits, burps, weezes, etc.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 22, 2007 11:43:06 AM PDT
Tim Brough says:
Today. Lene Lovich "FLEX..plus" the Rhino Reissue. I need a new toy, woah oh oh!

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 22, 2007 1:09:39 PM PDT
M. J. Gawlik says:
"Jools Holland & Friends"

I have three of his series (I hope there's more) and to put them
on random play is great listening. Too many artists to list, but
even if you don't like someone, they generally come across sounding
good.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 22, 2007 6:06:26 PM PDT
right now -Captain Beefheart - party of special things to do

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 22, 2007 6:11:37 PM PDT
did you find software for vinyl to computer conversion? I use Cakewalk Pyro from 2004. Not sure if you can get this online - came with my turntable.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 22, 2007 6:34:58 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Sep 22, 2007 6:36:24 PM PDT
E. Dill says:
Not yet....I'm still digesting the info I've received so far....thanks for your input.

I must add that Mr. Van Vliet is a long time favorite. I can't remember how I first got into him. I suspect it was around his Trout Mask Replica period (not an easy place to start but quite mind blowing) when I probably first understood his link to Zappa who I saw in 1966 in NYC. I then, no doubt, went backwards and got Beefheart's earlier stuff and I've collected it ever since. I had been connected to quirky rhythms and beat before him, namely with some of the free jazz I got into early on....so, for me, Trout wasn't as big a leap as for some.

One of my favorites of his has always been "Lick My Decals Off Baby". One of my favorite tunes of his is "Willie the P*mp" from the Hot Rats album.

ed.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 22, 2007 6:39:31 PM PDT
E. Dill says:
Weird.

When I went to send my post, I saw it in finished form, obviously sent, yet also saw a blank message form with the red message about how the message could not be sent because it violated their decency code....(I've received that before). When it has happened before, you'd lose your entire post. This time it took AND was rejected. Figure that out. So, I went back into the "finished product" and looked for something to edit...in case the censoring mechanism was still in force.....I found the "pi*p word, and decided to alter that....

We shall see.

Lately, I've been censoring things that are probably NOT on their list.

ed.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 22, 2007 6:47:52 PM PDT
Who is the female vocalist in the song Teddy Bears Picnic? I am new to his music and enjoy it immensely. As far as the turntable stuff - I ordered a new turntable from Amazon Audio Technica AT-PL50 and the cable and software came with it for about $100. I needed a new turntable anyway.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 22, 2007 6:56:08 PM PDT
Lately I've been looking up videos on youtube. Watched "Running Up That Hill," "Experiment IV" and "Jig of Life" by Kate Bush.

Heard "Tar and Cement" by Verdelle Smith. The video was not the original for the song.

Found several from Joey Heatherton, but could not find one for "Gone." Of course, there were a few from her "Be a Perfect Sleeper, Buy a Perfect Sleeper, Perfect Sleeper...Buy Serta" commercials.

Saw the actual video for "This is Your Life" by Banderas. I was surprised at the amount of comments and how many other people also liked the group.

Watched Jackie DeShannon sing and dance to "When You Walk in the Room." Now there is a vocalist who should have been a much bigger sensation than she was.

When driving, I listen to greatest hits CDs by Cher - one in particular features "Mama, When My Dollies Have Babies" which I think is one of the best songs ever recorded by a female vocalist. I also play hits by Yvonne Elliman, Cyndi Lauper, Laura Branigan, Depeche Mode and several compilations by girl groups from the 60s. The only male vocalist I listen to is Gene Pitney.
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Active discussions in related forums  

This discussion

Discussion in:  Pop forum
Participants:  778
Total posts:  7233
Initial post:  Jul 21, 2007
Latest post:  20 days ago

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 38 customers

Search Customer Discussions