Customer Discussions > Pop forum

Bands from Australia

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 201-225 of 1000 posts in this discussion
In reply to an earlier post on Nov 5, 2009 1:39:55 AM PST
Steve K says:
E.Dill, Buck and Alexis,

Thankyou for your info...good links to DAAS ...love em.!

E.Dill....how does someone so far away know of this obscure band? ..and how do you come to have some of thier music...please explain...{As Pauline would say..}
{Ps ..Alexis..fine, fine work.....keep it up , and thank you}

Thanks Steve

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 5, 2009 2:35:42 AM PST
Steve K says:
Alexis,

Thankyou so much...just watched the clip...DAAS were so funny...yet they could stop you in your tracks with an emotional song..Paul truly is a talent...The clip with Fiona Horne "Shut Up And Kiss Me" is so good...

Thankyou again,

Steve

Posted on Nov 5, 2009 3:53:59 AM PST
Val H. says:
Sorry to see so little love for Richard Clapton - I've always kind of liked the bloke, and I still love "Girls On The Avenue".

One of our best journeymen musicians must be Joe Camilleri, whether it's with The Falcons, The Black Sorrows, The Revelators or the Bakelite Radio crew, I don't think anyone enjoys making music as much as Joe does. I've just been listening to "Bakelite Radio Vol. 1", which perversely follows Vols. 2, 3 and 4, and it's a little beauty.

And who can forget Bob Hudson and "The Newcastle Song"
www.youtube.com/watch?v=co26PuQPX2s&feature=PlayList&p=AC9BFDB1CFF901B8&playnext=1&playnext_from=PL&index=19

Posted on Nov 5, 2009 4:01:55 AM PST
Scott Alan says:
Midnight Oil would have been as big as U2 if they were from New York City.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 5, 2009 4:02:01 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 5, 2009 4:14:13 AM PST
Alexis says:
Val, I agree- I like "Girls on The Avenue" as well.
Have always loved Joe Camilleri.

I was going to mention Bob Hudson. He used to be a radio announcer on JJ before it switched to FM and JJJ.

I met him once as a guest on his radio program.

Remember the follow-up to the "Newcastle Song", "Rack off Normie"

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 5, 2009 4:03:13 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 5, 2009 4:05:35 AM PST
Alexis says:
Scott,
you reckon?

Don't you mean Ireland?

Posted on Nov 5, 2009 4:11:35 AM PST
Alexis says:
I mentioned sometime before Melanie Oxley who did several collaborations with Chris Abrahams. Turns out her brother Peter was in the Sunnyboys. I think she may had another brother in the band as well.

Anyway, she and Chris Abrahams released an ep that contained the song "Benchtop" which I really loved. JJJ were playing it quite frequently back in the day which is where I heard it, of course.

Wish I had a time machine and re-live all those glorious days.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 5, 2009 5:50:46 AM PST
E. Dill says:
Steve K.

A lot of my music is acquired after painstaking research. I have a fetish, after all, for "best of" lists by critics I have reason to respect.

As best as I can remember, however, my Definition X album was acquired randomly in one of my searches thru a local music store's budget bins. I have, occasionally, picked things up if the price is right simply out of curiosity. Sometimes I DO recognize a label but I think this one was a "shot in the dark".

I must say, speaking of obscure bands, that prior to the internet explosion, I often would get frustrated trying to learn about artists whose music I randomly found and purchased. One such group was a group of women from NYC who was part of the short lived "no wave" scene there. Once it ended, I think the women went to England for awhile. Anyway, their group name was Ut and I liked the album a lot and could never find anything about them. Then, post-internet, I remembered them and within minutes had all the info I wanted thru sites like allmusic.com. Now, when I purchase an unknown artist/band, I immediately go home and get on the net and learn about them. Of course, if I don't like their music, the info is kind of moot.

ed.

Posted on Nov 5, 2009 6:04:10 AM PST
Hip O Critic says:
I'm not a great fan of 80's onwards Australian music at all even though the international success began then. There have been some largely unrecognised acts that deserved more success and some I can't believe have got the success they have had.
Daddy Cool - A brilliant band that mucked around to the point their music was never taken seriously overseas. "Eagle Rock" and "Come Back Again" are outstanding songs and they were actually a very tight band.
The Masters Apprentices - at their peak make AC/DC look like "apprentices". "Because I Love You" and "Turn up Your Radio" are anthems.
Russell Morris - Arguably the most underrated solo artist in the world -ever. "The Real Thing" I think was the 1st USA #1 hit by an Australian. "Sweet Sweet Love", "Wings of an Eagle" are brilliant.
The Healing Force - This band was the unluckiest band ever. They had this fantastic song called "Golden Miles" which would have been huge apart from their record company going broke and not able to finance enough pressings of the most Progressive Rock ever to be recorded in Australia. The lead guitarist (Lindsay Wells) is an iconic blues guitarist to the serious blues listeners.
Rose Tattoo were at least as good as AC/DC and had a brilliant lead vocalist (Angry Anderson) and a great slide guitarist (Pete Wells - no relation to Lindsay Wells).
AC/DC got a lucky break but the bands above were at least as good. Other good bands were Hush and Ted Mulry Gang of similar style to AC/DC.
A disappointing discovery is the 1978 anthem by the Angels "Am I Ever Gonna See Your Face Again" (no way get F*, F* off) is actually a rip of Status Quo song "Lonely Nights" recorded in 1974.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 5, 2009 12:47:31 PM PST
Alexis says:
Hip O
I agree about Russel Morris, "Wings of an Eagle" has to be one of my faves as well as "Sweet, Sweet Love"

Whatever happened to Jim Keays of The Master's Apprentices?

IMO, Hush and Ted Mulry Gang were OK.

Do you remember The Flying Circus? They were my favourite when I was a pre-teen. Funny, I always thought they were an overseas band (US or UK) and was surprised to discover they were Australian and relatively unknown, relatively recently in fact. And of course there was Zoot and the guys that recorded "Little Green Bag". I have to check my old compilations.
They were all the sounds of my childhood.

Eagle Rock has to be an Australian classic.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 5, 2009 12:54:50 PM PST
You know Valerie, It's interesting that you should mention "The Newcastle song" by Bob Hudson.

All this morning I've had "Girls in our town (the other Newcastle song) running thorough my head.

This song was also written by Bob Hudson but sung to stunning affect by Margret Roadknight.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U6e9BAyMyzo

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 5, 2009 12:57:41 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 5, 2009 1:02:40 PM PST
Hip O Critic says:
"The Healing Force - This band was the unluckiest band ever. They had this fantastic song called "Golden Miles" which would have been huge apart from their record company going broke and not able to finance enough pressings of the most Progressive Rock ever to be recorded in Australia."

Another progressive Australian group that deserves a mention is Madderlake.

Their two albums Butterfly Farm and Stillpoint have just been rereleased, each coming with extra tracks, in a very good package.

Posted on Nov 5, 2009 1:07:38 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 5, 2009 1:17:40 PM PST
buck -

re : madderlake

are there any bands you could compare them to, style-wise ? i am really a huge prog rock fan.

Posted on Nov 5, 2009 1:08:14 PM PST
There is also Taman Shud a progressive surf band, whose music appears on the soundtrack to "Morning of the earth".

Both their albums are available in a single package 1968-1972 Evolution & Goolutionites.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 5, 2009 1:29:36 PM PST
Madderlake are more in the mould of the British blues jam bands like, oh, Free or Gravy train or even early Deep Purple.

Musically accomplished but still somehow very raw and primitive.

Posted on Nov 5, 2009 1:35:08 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 5, 2009 1:44:07 PM PST
buck :

re : madderlake

oh ok .. when you said progressive - i was thinking more along the lines of bands like King Crimson, Yes, ELP, etc....

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 5, 2009 1:45:16 PM PST
J.M. Savory says:
TC,

saw the Celibate Rifles at Maxwell's back in the '80's and they truly kicked arse.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 5, 2009 1:52:04 PM PST
J.M. Savory says:
Alexis,

just looked up Fiona Horne and all I can say is "aye chihuahua" lol

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 5, 2009 2:18:04 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 5, 2009 2:18:54 PM PST
Alexis says:
Buck, talk about a Twilight Zone moment, your mention of Margaret Roadknight reminded me of a friend of hers I knew named JJ Francis (remember 'Simple Ben') who also reminded me of Aidin Nolan and also G.Wayne Thomas who also appeared on "Morning Of The Earth", Ross Ryan etc

Wow!

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 5, 2009 2:25:57 PM PST
Alexis says:
John,
I agree. Fiona is considered a bit of a Horne bag, you might say.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 5, 2009 2:43:31 PM PST
Val H. says:
Buck -

Taman Shud have one track on a great CD/DVD compilation Delightful Rain, produced by Kerryn Tolhurst of The Dingoes. It features tracks by The Atlantics, Richard Clapton, Celibate Rifles, Les Green from The Denvermen, The Pigram Brothers, GANGajang, Dan Rumour (The Cruel Sea), and more. It's not cheap but I've never regretted buying it. The DVD (shown once on the ABC) is an excellent document about the recording, all done on the beach at the Freshwater Surf Life Saving Club. More info at www.delightfulrain.com.au/

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 5, 2009 2:49:31 PM PST
Hi Valerie,

Would you be able to tell me the name of that Taman Shud song?

I'd be interested to know whether it's a song from the previously mentioned set or specifically recorded for Delightful rain.

I seem to remember a doco on the Aussie surf music scene of the 70s/ 80s, that talked to most of the people you mentioned.

Posted on Nov 5, 2009 2:57:14 PM PST
It's interesting, I tried to see if Golden miles was available at Amazon, and I came up with this: Golden Miles: Australian Progressive Rock.

Healing force are represented, as well as Madderlake and Taman Shud.

One of the reviews is as follows:

"There some great moments on this CD by bands like Bakery, Spectrum ,Daddy Cool, Healing Force, and others. however, if you're looking for 'Progressive rock' you might want to search a bit further, unless youre an Aussie and these songs remind you of home. Many of the songs on this CD tend to be more in the blues-rock or heavy-metal vein rather than progressive."

taken from the review by EtheralCereal

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 5, 2009 2:59:57 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 5, 2009 10:21:15 PM PST
Val H. says:
Buck -

Thanks for the link to Margaret Roadknight. That is a great song, which I had completely forgotten, and she does it beautifully.

Did anyone watch "The Killing Of Caroline Byrne" on Channel 10 the other evening? The music sounded quite interesting but, as happens so often, the credits went by in a blur. I recognized Frankie Goes To Hollywood ("The Power Of Love") and the closing song was by Wendy Matthews (yes, we know she's a Canadian) but I didn't recognize the song. It reminded me that I have a vinyl copy of "You've Always Got the Blues - Songs From the ABC TV Series 'Stringer'" (1988) by Wendy Matthews and Kate Ceberano and I was glad to find a clip:
www.youtube.com/watch?v=ixHeMICGoYM

I don't count myself as a great fan of Wendy Matthews but I have her covers album "Cafe Naturale" and she does a fair job on some unusual choices - songs from Air, Womack & Womack, Matt Finish, Massive Attack, U2, etc.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 5, 2009 3:03:04 PM PST
Val H. says:
Buck -

The track is "What's Come Over You?" written by Lindsay Bjerre.

Have you seen www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZGrzBoHCrWE
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  Pop forum
Participants:  293
Total posts:  3366
Initial post:  Oct 25, 2009
Latest post:  Jun 22, 2014

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 15 customers

Search Customer Discussions