Customer Discussions > Pop forum

What Are You Listening To....Now or Recently?

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 126-150 of 1000 posts in this discussion
In reply to an earlier post on Sep 22, 2007 7:28:07 PM PDT
The International Submarine Band- luxury liner

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 22, 2007 11:00:53 PM PDT
[Deleted by Amazon on Feb 9, 2010 4:24:34 PM PST]

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 23, 2007 5:13:23 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Sep 23, 2007 5:16:12 AM PDT
E. Dill says:
One thing I've learned (I always knew)by posting on music message boards is that I'm NOT a completist!

I haven't a clue what female sang on Teddy Bears Picnic because I'm not sure what exactly you're talking about. Since I HAD mentioned my long connection with Beefheart's music, I assumed it was he so I did some googling and came up with the fact that there are/were examples of Beefheart/Zappa doing a song by that title....presumably the old children's song. But other than finding some documentation of pieces and parts of it on various live recordings, I haven't a clue if it appears on any studio album. So, not even knowing where the song can be found, I can't begin to investigate who sang it. (I did see a Zappa/Beefheart version on a children's album and listened to a bit of it....no help. The woman who performed with Zappa around that time was Ruth Underwood on vibes/xylophone but I can't say I evern consciously heard her voice....did she talk/sing on 200 Motels? I even checked out most of the compilations of Beefheart's work (some I don't have) and couldn't see any mention of the song on the selection lists.

Anyway, you've stumped me.

Thanks for the info on your turntable. Since I have a turntable plus 3 solid state combo units with turntables (the cassette/am/fm/cd version although one is too old to have a cd!) I'd rather not buy a 5th turntable but it may come to that to simplfy the process...

ed

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 23, 2007 10:21:23 AM PDT
It is a Zappa/Beefheart childrens song. I found it on a website of childrens songs. http://www.ilovewavs.com/ForKids/KidsEveryDay.htm
I was just curious, thanks for looking.
Back to the discussion
Cell Phones ringing - by Willie Nile

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 23, 2007 10:36:27 AM PDT
Chicken Train - Ozark Mountain Daredevils, over and over. Hee yaw.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 23, 2007 11:10:35 AM PDT
jblyn says:
In the "pop" vein (since that's where we are), I've been listening a lot to Peter Gabriel's recent work. I haven't always been bowled over by Gabriel's output since he left Genesis, but UP has become one of my favorite CDs in short order. Martin Newell's RADIO AUTUMN ATTIC has also been getting a workout on my car and home players. One of the best songwriters working.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 23, 2007 11:21:46 AM PDT
Ray Davies - Other peoples lives CD

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 24, 2007 10:02:48 AM PDT
hello M.Edwards I'm listening to Streisand 2006 live in concert,and rosemary

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 24, 2007 10:30:30 AM PDT
I don't have any music of Miss Streisand - what would you recommend as a starter album?

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 24, 2007 11:31:06 AM PDT
Wow Oh my God Where do I start?? well of course i have them all,but I think you should get the Essential Barbra Streisand,That way you can hear her at her prime,middle age,and present,she is by far the best female singer of all time,and of course Miss Ella is perfect.hope i was osme help,so who do i need to check out?

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 24, 2007 12:08:30 PM PDT
E. Dill says:
I guess my taste in BS is a bit different. I lost interest in her after her first few albums. But BOY, did I and do I love them! Simply put, I think they were the perfect combination of songs, arrangements and her own style which, at the time, was a bit theatrical AND often humorous. I've said here before that theatrical singing doesn't always work for me (Neil Diamond/Celine Dion/Bette Midler) but it DID with Striesand. I lost interest when she began to get upbeat and try some of the hip songwriters of today, beginning with L. Nyro. I wanted her doing Sondheim and earlier stuff.

I had the same thing with Mathis. I loved his early Heavenly album but later he tried to get "hip" and do upbeat songs of the day and I bailed out. But I still have and LOVE "Heavenly".

But, I'd guess the Essential album would give one an overview of her evolution as a singer.

ed.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 24, 2007 1:03:36 PM PDT
Ok....I can put up with a lot of things, but I have to draw the line...please leave iceberg lettuce out of it! I know it has no nutrional value, much like Celine Dion's songs, but it's the only lettuce I can eat. Everything else looks too much like something pulled out of the garden. If it ain't crunchy, I ain't eatin' it!!!

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 24, 2007 4:45:51 PM PDT
Hello ED
Well i guess i'm a bit of a drama queen.I really love theatrical singing,Judy,Rosemary,Eartha,and I just love Betty Buckley what a pretty voice,and Elaine paige,but i love all music,but no hip hop,so who do you listen to???

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 24, 2007 9:07:45 PM PDT
E. Dill says:
First, let me say that there ARE people I like that one could call "theatrical". There is a fine line between emoting theatrically and being clownish. There are no rules with these things....the same person can detest one singer who emotes and embrace another. It probably has a lot to do with "believability"...does the person feel it or more importantly, do they make YOU feel it. People like Celine, Neil D., and the post-Beaches Bette do NOT. Again, my patience and enjoyment of theatrical performances is broaden considerably when being taken by the entire artistic convention of the stage (and I don't have THAT much experience with it).

Case in point was Judy Garland in her later "torchy" years. She moved me always....when she was on tv doing one of those shows, I never missed a second and I was fairly young during some of them. For some reason, I accepted her theatrical approach WITHOUT the actual stage setting behind her.

So who do I like? Wow. I'm like a guy I once knew who began playing jazz sax late in life and whenever I asked him who he liked, he'd ALWAYS say Cannonball Adderly......I finally gathered that he liked Adderly and he became his "fallback" answer...

Female vocalists would include Lucinda Williams (alt-country), Iris Dement (country), Gillian Welch, Billie Holiday, Arlene Smith (lead singer with a 50's girl group, the Chantels), Wanda jackson (a country singer who had one of the great rockabilly songs of all time, "Let's Have a Party", Joanna Newsom (a new "find" and one that even people who wind up liking her usually hate her at first listen....a loud somewhat abrasive childlike voice sung to her plucking harp...try it, you'll like it), PJ Harvey, and on and on...

Favorite artists/groups in general would include Neil Young, Dylan, the Beatles, The Band (the first two albums were great), Talking Heads, Captain Beefheart (not for mainstream ears), etc.

For all my interest in quirkly, edgy music, I still love and respect good pop tunes. But, like I said above, I have my own BS meter, like all of us do. I can't really explain why some pop makes me sick and some other stuff makes me smile. There's no stylistic recipe for me. It just is and I know it when I hear it.

Take hip hop. My first listen to a hip hop record was Grandmaster Flash's "The Message" I found it powerful and moving. I went out and bought it almost immediately. I've yet to feel that way since and it's been 25 years. But there IS rap that I'd defy anyone to tell me ISN'T good music. Take Arrested Development's "Tennessee". A strikingly good piece of work. The fact is, rap was destroyed by "gangsta rap". It began as an attempt to shock and to lay out honestly the brutality of "life in the hood". When I first heard NWA (Nig*as With Attitude) and their Straight Outta Compton album, I was both shocked and moved. This WAS the unvarished truth of ghetto life and the violence that comes with it. By the time NWA and Ice-T were making their 3,4,5th album on the topic, I said "enough is enough"....now you're not telling it like it is or suggesting an alternative.....you're simply using violence, profanity, misogyny as a "selling tool". Now, "conspiquous consumption" (bling) has been added to the "gangsta" mix. It's still music to me (based usually on rhythms more than melodies), but it's real BAD music.....but the good stuff is still there, even in rap. It's just a question of whether one has enough patience and interest in finding it.

ed.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 24, 2007 9:14:13 PM PDT
Music Lover says:
Alex Chilton is my favorite song by The Replacements.
I love Depeche Mode too.

That collection sounds pretty good.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 24, 2007 9:15:15 PM PDT
E. Dill says:
Oops. Watch those abbreviations, Ed.

In my earlier post, I used BS to mean Barbra Striesand....the subject of the post

In my last post, I talked about how "I have my own BS meter"....I was NOT talking Streisand there (even though I obviously DO have my own Barbra Streisand meter)....I was talking 'bulls*it meter'. I think I got that phrase from a movie with Coster as the double agent in the Navy....his "love" interest, whose name escapes me, says, rather sarcastically, when arriving at a cocktail party, that they should have a "BS meter" to let everyone know who they're dealing with.....

ed.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 24, 2007 9:22:10 PM PDT
E. Dill says:
I like that song, too. I also like the subject of it, Alex Chilton.

I still am not sure why I missed "Big Star" when they were actually making records. By the time their name kept cropping up in respected critics lists of "best ofs", I wondered "who"? (another one who I missed was Joy Division. The same thing happened. I kept seeing them mentioned in these lists and wondered why. Then, while vacationing in Europe, the group "New Order" had a hot album out there, "Power Corruption and Lies" and I was reading about them and found out they were the remains of "Joy Division" without their lead singer, Ian Curtis, who'd hung himself. THEN, I finally backtracked and listened to Joy Division and was a fan immediately.

Chilton, of course, was the lead singer for the Boxtops, before Big Star. When they ended, he did a lot of solo work, much of it I have.

ed.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 24, 2007 9:31:25 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Sep 24, 2007 9:36:20 PM PDT
Achin' to be is my favorite Replacement tune
We'll inherit the earth - great also
Bastards of Young and I'll be you also good tunes

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 27, 2007 9:30:29 AM PDT
E. Dill says:
Handsome Family - Weightless Again

We stopped for coffee in the Redwood forest
giant dripping leaves, spoons of powdered cream
I wanted to kiss you but I wasn't sure how
like those indians, lost in the rainforest
forced to drag burning wood wherever they went
they had all forgotten how to start a fire

this is why people OD on pills and jump from the Golden Gate Bridge
anything to feel weightless again

those poor lost indians when the white man found them
most died of TB, the rest went insane
in our motel room, you're drinking Slice and gin
reading Moby Dick on the other bed
remember the first time we slept together
you said it felt like when you learned to float

this is why people OD on pills and jump from the Golden Gate Bridge
anything to feel weightless again

(BTW, I LOVE this song...)

ed.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 27, 2007 2:49:53 PM PDT
[Deleted by Amazon on Feb 9, 2010 4:23:32 PM PST]

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 28, 2007 12:45:38 AM PDT
barefoot singer - deana carter???????????

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 28, 2007 9:24:58 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Sep 28, 2007 9:37:15 AM PDT
Iceblossom says:
Well, this week I've been in a rather mellow mood. I'm still listening to a very recent release (couple weeks out) by Jeremy Kay called "Talking to Me".

I've also been going through some Cindy Bullens, her 2001 album Neverland, and 2005's Dream #29, which along with other guests has her old friend Elton John playing piano on one track.

This paragraph added after initial post -- for a rocking/bluesy intro to Cindy check out "Sensible Shoes" which is easily found to download. Mostly she's a bit more mellow but there's always a couple of songs more like Sensible Shoes on her albums.

Beth Orton's "debut" Trailer Park also made it into recent play.

I'm looking forward to the arrival of a brand new (well, May 2007) Suzi Quatro called "back to the drive" which should (hopefully) come today or tomorrow.

And my nominee for barefoot singer, Jonny Lang :)

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 28, 2007 9:55:43 AM PDT
Greg Brady says:
Some stuff I have out from the library:
TRAFFIC "Traffic"
ROLLING STONES "Black and Blue"
DANIEL POWTER "Daniel Powter"
KELLY CLARKSON "My December"
BON JOVI "Lost Highway"

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 28, 2007 9:58:14 AM PDT
Greg

How is the Kelly Clarkson? I know it got a lot of negative press, mostly because the record company wasn't too happy with it. I was thinking of getting it, but would like to hear your opinion.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 28, 2007 10:49:15 AM PDT
[Deleted by Amazon on Feb 9, 2010 4:23:32 PM PST]
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Pop forum

Discussion Replies Latest Post
Announcement
Create Your Own Music Quiz At SoundUnwound!
3 24 days ago
Name 10 Song Titles - Part 3 7224 7 hours ago
Most underrated guitar player in rock history... 1067 2 days ago
Who Have You Seen Live From This List 55 2 days ago
Most overrated guitarist in rock history... 392 5 days ago
Who Is Your Favorite Female Singer Over The Last 10 Years 136 5 days ago
Led Zeppelin vs Deep Purple: Who's the better live band? 26 9 days ago
Does Anyone Remember Quackamoobacluckaphobia? 6 10 days ago
What Are You Listening To....Now or Recently? 7225 22 days ago
take all of this weak pop and emo and nerd and art crap off of the punk rock listings and let real punk rock rest with what respect it stil has PART TWO: ANARCHIST BOOGALOO!!!! 1846 23 days ago
Can you think of songs that have " na, na, na, ...." anywhere in the verses? 42 Aug 20, 2014
The ONE SONG That EVERY AMERICAN LIKES ? 696 Aug 2, 2014

This discussion

Discussion in:  Pop forum
Participants:  777
Total posts:  7226
Initial post:  Jul 21, 2007
Latest post:  22 days ago

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 38 customers

Search Customer Discussions