Customer Discussions > Pop forum

What Are You Listening To....Now or Recently?

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 151-175 of 1000 posts in this discussion
In reply to an earlier post on Sep 29, 2007 2:31:21 PM PDT
P Metzger says:
Let's see...

Iron & Wine: Boy w/ a Coin (the single - don't have the album yet, but it sounds promising! Sam Beam seems to be carrying on in the vein of the 'Woman King' e.p.)

Explosions in the Sky: 2 or 3 different albums (Just discovered these guys recently, went on a binge. We need more instrumental rock!)

Lymbyc Systym: Love Your Abuser (Ditto)

Deftones: pretty much anything. (another recent discovery. I love heavy music, but it's so rare to find anything that works for me.)

Arab Strap: The Red Thread, The Last Romance

Team Sleep (a strange project, sort of a 'super-group', like Gorillaz. Hard to put a tag on it.)

Nine Inch Nails: Year Zero (Wasn't very impressed at first listen, but like most NIN albums, this sort of snuck up from behind and is growing on me. There's always a danger when mixing politics and music, of paying too much attention on the former and not enough to the latter.)

Queens of the Stone Age: Era Vulgaris (Definitely different from the first couple albums, but it's working for me.)

The good, the Bad, and the Queen

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 30, 2007 12:13:20 PM PDT
BRIAN ENO - Here Come The Warm Jets
LIARS - Liars
AHAB - The Call Of The Wretched Sea
NACHTMYSTIUM - Instinct:Decay
XASTHUR - Nocturnal Poisoning
COFFINS/CIANIDE - Split
COBALT - Eater Of Birds
GRAVES AT SEA/ASUNDER - Split
PINK FLOYD - The Piper At The Gates Of Dawn(Expanded)

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 30, 2007 12:33:00 PM PDT
The Walrus says:
"Molten Gold: The Anthology"-Free
"The Awakening"-Melissa Etheridge
"Are You Experienced"-Brother Jimi
"One For The Road"-The Kinks
"Milk Cow Blues"-Willie Nelson

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 1, 2007 8:35:43 AM PDT
i admit and not afraid to say it, i'm listening to the spice girls a lot latly.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 1, 2007 8:47:35 AM PDT
Petty Fan says:
Foo Fighters new one...It rocks!!!!!!!!!!

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 1, 2007 1:22:54 PM PDT
E. Dill says:
I've always been partial to "Cumin Spice" who seems to get along with "Chili Spice" quite well.

ed.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 1, 2007 10:55:02 PM PDT
BLACK FLAG - Everything Went Black
BLACK FLAG - The Process Of Weeding Out
DARKTHRONE - F.O.A.D.
ALDEBARAN - Dwellers In Twilight
SKEPTICISM - Aes
BLACK BONED ANGEL - Supereclipse
GENESIS - Abacab
PERE UBU - The Art of Walking

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 1, 2007 11:50:12 PM PDT
cool!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 2, 2007 9:40:57 AM PDT
M. J. Gawlik says:
The Piano Has Been Drinking - Tom Waits
Van Lingle Mongo - David Frishberg
The Viper - Tiny Tim
Donald, Where's Your Trousers - Andy Stewart
Two Hangmen - Mason Proffitt

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 2, 2007 9:52:36 AM PDT
Joey A says:
I'm listening to Celine Dion's new song Taking Chances like mad. It's such a great song and I can't wait for the whole cd to come out in November.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 2, 2007 6:13:16 PM PDT
E. Dill says:
WOW!

I'm back to redoing the album lists I lost on my old (and dead) computer. I'm doing "H"'s and found an album I remembered really liking when I bought it and then promptly forgot it.....The Hal Lovejoy Circus - American Made. Not really power pop....but really engaging pop/rock. As far as I can determine, this album came out in 1998 and the band was never heard from again....what a shame!

I checked allmusic.com and found that several copies are available on half.com for $.75. Ok, it's an additional 2.95 for postage but, man, who says there are not musical bargains to be had!

(About the only negative I read about the band was an attempt to categorize one of their songs, "Hot Pants" as a bit smarmy....I thought it was harmlessly funny.)

ed.

ps. Ok yeah. Before re-discovering Hal Lovejoy Circus, I was listening to someone more "current"....Ed Harcourt - Stranger.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 2, 2007 8:29:19 PM PDT
KRAFTWERK - The Mix
MINISTRY - The Last Sucker
MINISTRY - Rio Grande Dub
LARD - The Last Temptation Of Reid
THE FALL - This Nation's Saving Grace
ICONS OF FILTH - Filth And The Fury
IGGY POP - The Idiot
MARTY STUART AND THE FABULOUS SUPERLATIVES - Country Music
JOE ELY - Happy Songs From Rattlesnake Gulch
NEUROSIS - Times Of Grace
NEUROSIS - Given To The Rising

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 2, 2007 9:28:23 PM PDT
[Deleted by Amazon on Feb 9, 2010 4:22:32 PM PST]

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 4, 2007 2:32:30 PM PDT
Finally purchased some new music today:

MUSLIMGAUZE - Maroon
MUSLIMGAUZE - Vampire Of Tehran
AMON DUUL II - Yeti
HARVEY MILK - Courtesy And Good Will Toward Men
NAGLFAR - Harvest
EYES OF FIRE - Prisons
CAR BOMB - Centralia
SKINNY PUPPY - Mythmaker
DODHEIMSGARD - Supervillain Outcast
SIGH - Hangman's Hymn: Musikalische Exequien
BORIS - Rainbow
VIDNA OBMANA - Spore
KLAUS NOMI - Klaus Nomi
KLAUS NOMI - Simple Man
MOLLY HATCHET - Molly Hatchet
BAND OF SUSANS - The Peel Sessions
TEENAGE JESUS AND THE JERKS - Everything
GLENN BRANCA - The Ascension
WILLIE NELSON, RAY PRICE AND MERLE HAGGARD - Last Of The Breed
WILLIE NELSON - Songs

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 4, 2007 7:54:41 PM PDT
[Deleted by the author on Sep 23, 2010 8:33:04 AM PDT]

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 5, 2007 4:37:17 AM PDT
hey folks I'm listeing to faith hill the hit's and reba duets..

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 5, 2007 2:25:16 PM PDT
Walter Five says:
I'm listening to the Hoosier Hotshots "Everybody Stomp", Spike Jones & His City Slickers "Best of... Vol. 2" and Immortal Technique "Revolutionary Vol. 2"

Yeah, you can't say I'm not eclectic...

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 5, 2007 3:21:06 PM PDT
E. Dill says:
Hey, if the price is right, I'll give it a shot.....I went to one of the budget sites and ordered Hot One.....$0.75 plus $2.99 shipping. (I can't remember if it was half.com or amazon.com). I'll give you my "take" when I get it.

Right now, as part of my replacing some of my vinyl with cd's, I'm listening to Babylon - Dr. John, In the Court of the Crimson King - King Crimson, Kink Kontroversy/Village Green Preservation Society - The Kinks, plus a fun comp entitled "Crazy Bout an Automobile" featuring 25 tunes with a "car theme". Some are pretty well know, like "Rocket 88" (sometimes referred to as the 1st rock song), "You Can't Catch Me", "Hot Rod Lincoln", "Hey Little Cobra" and a bunch of others that are quite obscure....like, I've NEVER EVER heard "Come Back, Maybelline" by Mercy Dee....

ed.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 5, 2007 8:27:16 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Oct 5, 2007 8:36:10 PM PDT
Rod Hansen says:
Hey E. Dill -

Glad my post inspired you to order Hot One - can't wait to hear what you think of it (by the way, I've added to my original post with more details about the band & their Web presense. Check it out).

You mention you're into the Kinks. Love 'em! LOLA VS. THE POWEMAN ruled my universe for awhile. A coworker of mine recently recommended "THE KINKS PRESENT A SOAP OPERA," and I need a second opinion. Have you heard it? And if so, is it worth a listen?

Also: A few years back, I saw the Boston Rock Opera perform "PRESERVATION ACTS I & II," with a full cast including the singer from Letters to Cleo playing the female lead and one of the guys from Chucklehead as Mr. Black. The whole performance was outstanding, and the final rendition of "Salvation Road" was sheer Rock Opera glory! I will never forget that show.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 5, 2007 11:29:36 PM PDT
Bill Hom says:
I was just listening to Stadium Arcadium by the Red Hot Chili Peppers - prior to that I was listening to Evanescence - The Open Door.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 6, 2007 3:01:37 AM PDT
Hmmmm, yes, that makes sense...someone who has been listening to The Spice Girls uses a lower case i for the personal pronoun and can't spell "lately".

Anyhow I have recently discovered Sigur Ros, an Icelandic band. It's all sung in Icelandic so I have no idea what it's about but those melodies and captivating sounds....hmmmm scrumptious. Find them and check out the "Takk" album.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 6, 2007 5:32:30 PM PDT
Listening to the debut album by Rickie Lee Jones, rarely brought up but a great disc, IMO.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 6, 2007 5:50:47 PM PDT
E. Dill says:
I really like that album! I remember when it first came out. About the only negative I have about her has nothing to do with the album or her music in general. For some odd reason, she got into a thing with Joni Mitchell, where she was questioning Joni's "right" to sing songs about "street people" or "street life" when she didn't have the "street-cred" that Rickie has/had. (At the time, she'd been part of a bohemian scene in CA. with her old beau/hanging buddy, Tom Waits.) She never said anything, but it probably frosted her that Joni was wont to wear a beret (and look damn good wearing it, too) and when Ricky got known and was seen wearing one too, people wondered who was copying whom? I should be used to this petty stuff by now. If the likes of Hilary Duff and Lindsay Lohan can get into a catfight (words only) over a boyfriend, anything is possible.

But, I guess Ricky got older, got married, had some kids and mellowed. Joni, I guess, is still Joni....not exactly a performer MEANT to perform in public. As for Ricky, she's never, IMHO, approached her first record, but I have them all. I don't even mind if she wears a beret, as long as she doesn't diss Joni for not hanging out more in the "bowels" of society....

ed.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 9, 2007 9:19:38 AM PDT
NEUROSIS - The Word as Law
GRAILS - Black Tar Prophecies Vol. 1,2,3
AT THE GATES - Gardens Of Grief
POPOL VUH - Seligpreisung
THOM YORKE - The Eraser
PELICAN - City of Echoes
THE BOO RADLEYS - Find the Way Out
ISIS - Panopticon
FLAMING LIPS - Zaireeka
MORBID ANGEL - Formulas Fatal To The Flesh

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 9, 2007 11:46:50 AM PDT
Well, I've liked her and Eagle Eye too. No wonder, they come from such a musical family. Just another reason to like them more.
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Pop forum

This discussion

Discussion in:  Pop forum
Participants:  777
Total posts:  7227
Initial post:  Jul 21, 2007
Latest post:  6 days ago

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 38 customers

Search Customer Discussions