Customer Discussions > Pop forum

Deep Purple In Rock: 1st Hard Rock/Heavy Metal Album Ever?

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-8 of 8 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Nov 4, 2012 12:29:27 AM PDT
I've listened to Jimi Hendrix Are You Experienced?, Cream's Disraeli Gears, Led Zeppeling I and II, and Black Sabbath I. Hendrix's is not really hard rock more of a psychedelic blues-rock album. Cream is just heavy blues-rock. Zeppelin same thing but with folk added in. Sabbath is a grungy slow stoner heavy rock. Then I put on In Rock and I hear the future of Hard Rock/Heavy Metal. All the songs are original and they rock out hard!!! There's no folk, no blues, no slowed down stoner rock. It just starts out strong and ends strong with excellent performances by all.

What do you think? Is Deep Purple In Rock the First Ever Hard Rock/Heavy Metal Album in Rock and Roll History?

Posted on Nov 4, 2012 12:46:37 PM PST
I gotta go with Led Zeppelin debut just for Communication Breakdown. Both In Rock and Sabbath debut came out in 1970 so that could be a tie. In Rock is genius album.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 4, 2013 2:01:34 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Jan 4, 2013 2:09:13 PM PST
Maybe. You should have asked this in the Metal Forum, as they would know better.

Or this:

http://www.amazon.com/forum/classic%20rock/ref=cm_cd_pg_pg1?_encoding=UTF8&cdForum=Fx27W1S3VWL232L&cdPage=1&cdThread=Tx3G8USA4BSBR2R

Posted on Jan 4, 2013 4:32:13 PM PST
If you post it in the metal forum, you'll get a bunch of people all angry that believe Sabbath single-handedly invented metal and were the only metal band before Priest : )
I personally see where you're coming from, though - "In Rock" is a much more consistent and rocking effort than anything Zeppelin or Sabbath did up to that point. I think the thing is - the Sabbath supporters see the heavy, gloomy, side of metal as being all there is, but Purple brought in more of the speed, musical virtuosity, power, and energy side of metal; both are important parts of the genre.
I consider Zeppelin I the origin of metal, just because it came FIRST and was THE major influence on the two other contenders (In Rock and Sabbath I), but I certainly think In Rock is the better album of the 3.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 8, 2013 9:16:56 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Jan 8, 2013 9:18:12 AM PST
E. Dill says:
@Fortizymo:

A lot of bands are a lot of things, depending on the song, the album, the time, etc.

I'd mention Hendrix, Vanilla Fudge (yes, they went from psych to hard rock to prog (Renaissance)), Cream, Blue Cheer, Rhinocerous, Iron Butterfly, The Who, Steppenwolf and Jeff Beck Group, which came about around the time of Deep Purple's "Hush". Heavy metal is even trickier because there was a time when Zeppelin and Sabbath were considered the two biggies of HM. Now, you'll get an arguement that Zeppelin was NEVER heavy metal but a hard rock blues band, Kasmir not withstanding.

I don't dislike genres but they are, often, either too specific or not specific enough for a given artist. That's why sites like allmusic and rateyourmusic, e.g., usually define most artists/groups by more than one. Some do it by album, i.e., Beggar's Banquet and Please Please Me are not the same style as Their Satanic Majesties' Request and Sgt. Peppers.

ed.

Posted on Jan 28, 2013 5:53:10 PM PST
wippernaut says:
I think them and Blue Cheer at the same time since they released their debuts in '68. Though I believe Blue Cheer were formed in '66 and Deep Purple was '68, so maybe Blue Cheer...

Black Sabbath for metal because they're primarily metal while most other bands just had a couple "metallic" songs, like Led Zeppelin.

Posted on Feb 21, 2013 6:30:39 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Feb 21, 2013 6:35:17 PM PST
I saw Deep Purple in ' 68 at the Sports Arena in San Diego . They had third billing under Ten Years After and Butterfield's Blues Band . They were riding high at the time with their big hits " Hush " , " River Deep, Mountain High "and " Kentucky Woman ". I mainly went to see Butterfield , but Deep Purple were surprisingly great in concert.......having recently released their LP , " The Book of Taliesyn ".

Posted on Feb 23, 2013 1:52:23 PM PST
When I listen to Purple mk 1 I hear great musicianship with very good songs and lyrics. But it's not hard rock it's more pop progressive rock with great guitar playing. Led zep 1 does sound heavy and is produced amazingly well. It has a real presence. The songs sound heavy but there is a lot of folk and blues. And it's almost all covers. Sabbath 1 is heavy and gloomy slow ponderous like a dinosaur walking the earth. It's incredibly heavy but as a whole there r some weak songs. While In Rock is all original material with amazing musicianship in a faster heavy mode than zep or sabbath. It just seems that In Rock is underrated and doesn't get the credit it deserves.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  Pop forum
Participants:  7
Total posts:  8
Initial post:  Nov 4, 2012
Latest post:  Feb 23, 2013

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 1 customer

Search Customer Discussions