Customer Discussions > Pop forum

Making Some Sense of 2012.....musically speaking

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 59 posts in this discussion
Posted on Nov 18, 2013 11:07:36 AM PST
E. Dill says:
Well, since I'm almost caught up with my 2013 posts (ok, NOT with my actual ratings, since I'm now up to the "Q"s, but I thought I'd take a break and go back and see how I left my 2012 releases. Since I'd already begun listing them individually by letter, I'll go back and edit them like I'm doing the 2013....by alphabet AND by preference....some will be not preferenced yet, since I'd never rated them.

ed.

In reply to an earlier post on May 19, 2013 6:53:11 PM PDT
E. Dill says:
Alex/Val:

I finally came to grips with my straddling between 2011 and 2012 for the issuance of Of Monsters and Men's "My Head is an Animal". It WAS released, first in 2011 but in Iceland. Later releases for the US, etc. were in 2012, so I AM adding it, finally, to my 2012 list.

ed.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 28, 2013 4:51:24 PM PDT
Alexis says:
Ed, I haven't finished going through your list yet but I absolutely love your description of Alt-J's 'sound':

<<Part of the sound that is unique is lead singer, Joe Newman's voice which sometimes goes into a "dialect" that sounds like an Adam Sandler comic routine (see, Breezeblocks/Fitzpleasure) but, for me, never to the detriment of the song.>>

I get what you're saying. "Something gooooooooooode. Ohoooo ohoo something gooooooooode....."

Posted on Mar 26, 2013 6:59:05 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jan 5, 2014 1:16:49 PM PST
E. Dill says:
2012 - The A's, listed alphabetically and by preference:

Abandoned Pools - Sublime currency (alt rock/indie rock)
John Abercrombie - Within a Song (jazz guitar)
Accept - Stalingrad (heavy metal)
*Johnny Ace - Ace's Wild (2)(compilation/early R&B)
Actress - R.I.P. (IDM, Ambient)
Aerosmith - Music from Another Dimension (hard rock)
Aesop Rock - Skelethon (abstract hip hop)
Agonist - Prisoner (heavy metal)
Air - Le Voyage Dansla Lune (indie electronic/ambient pop)
Alabama Shakes - Boys & Girls (americana/trad. rock/punk blues)
Alcest - Les Voyages (shoegaze)
Alchemist - Rappers' best friend v2 (gangster rap/instrumental)
All American Rejects - Kids in the Street (alt rock/pop//emo pop)
Kris Allen - Thank You Carmellia (pop rock)
Allo Darlin - Europe (jangle pop)
Alpine - A is for Alpine (indie pop)
Alt-J - An Awesome Wave (alt indie rock)
Amadou & Marian - Folila (african pop)
Anathema - Weather Systems (neo prog/prog rock)
Ancestors - In Dreams & Time (psych rock/doom metal/prog)
Ian Anderson - TAAB 2 (prog rock)
Anglagard - Viljans Oga (progressive rock)
Animal Collective - Centipede H2 (neo-psych)
Antony & the Johnsons - Cut the World (alt singer songwriter)
Anuhed - For Love (pop rock)
Fiona Apple - The Idler.....(singer songwriter/art pop)
Sun Araw - Frkwys V9, Icon Give Thanks (dub/experimental/roots reggae)
Asia - XXX (neo prog/prog rock)
Audrey Assad - Heart (adult contemporary/CCM)
Asteriod Galaxy Tour - Out of Frequency (alt dance/alt pop)
Astra - The Black Chord (prog rock)
Avett Brothers - The Carpenter (folk pop)

By Preference: (number format changed slightly)
Alt-J - An Awesome Wave (Indie Pop) (9.9)
Fiona Apple - The Idler... (singer songwriter)(9.9)
Animal Collective - Centipede Hz (Neo-Psych)(9.9)
Alcest - Les Voyages...(Shoegazer/Metal)(9.9)
Sun Araw - Frkwys V9/Icon Give Thanks)(Dub Experimental/Roots/Reggae)(9.9)
Anathema - Weather systems (neo prog/prog rock)(9.9)
Anglagard - Viljans Oga (Prog)(9.8)
Astra - The Black Chord (Prog Rock)(9.8)
Antony & the Johnsons - Cut the World (Singer Songwriter)(9.8)
Abercrombie, John - Within a Song (Jazz)(9.8)
Allo Darlin - Europe (Jangle Pop)(9.7)
Amadou & Miriam - Folila (African Pop)(9.7)
Alabama Shakes - Boys & Girls (American Trad Rock/Punk Blues)(9.5)
Ancestors - In Dreams and Time (Doom Metal/Psych/Prog Metal)(9.5)
Asteroid Galaxy Tour - Out of Frequency (alt dance/dance pop)(9+)
Avett Brothers - The Carpenter (Folk Pop)(9)
Agonist, The - Prisoner (Heavy Metal)(9)
Aerosmith - Music from Another Dimension (9)
Air - Le Voyage Dans La Luna (Indie Electronic/Ambient Pop)(9-)
Alchemist - Rapper's Best Friend V2 (Gangsta Rap Instrument)(9-)
Ian Anderson - TAAB2 (Prog Rock)(9-)
Aesop Rock - Skelethon (Abstract Hip Hop)(9-)
Abandoned Pools - Sublime Currency (alt/indie rock)(9-)
Actress - R.I.P. (IDM/Ambient)(8+)
Anuhed - For Love (Pop Rock)(8+)
All American Rejects - Kids in the Street (Adult Pop Rock/Emo)(8)
Audrey Assad - Heart (Adult Contemporary/CCM)(8)
Kris Allen - Thank You Carmellia (Pop Rock)(8)
Accept - Stalingrad (Heavy Metal)(7)
Asia - xxx (Neo Prog/Prog Rock)(7-)

Some A's I've STILL not rated yet... Johnny Ace (comp), Alpine

Posted on Feb 21, 2013 3:47:09 PM PST
Last edited by the author on May 21, 2013 4:10:11 PM PDT
E. Dill says:
Nope, Aglagard is still costing no less than $23. I shouldn't bitch. Isn't that a normal price for cd's in Australia? And I believe the Aglagard album is a double disc. Still, I'll wait. The last time I went to youtube, the entire album was on there for me to listen to and become enthralled by. Now if amazon would offer it in download mp3 format, it would be cheaper. And, surprise surprise, I actually bought a cd that way once on amazon and managed to actually figure out HOW to download it. It was Tim Buckley's Sarsailor. I think that's the only download I've ever done. I got it for maybe $7. Copies of the cd were going for appreciably more.
NOTE: I'm not certain if I mentioned it here already, but I finally bought the Anglagard album and was not sorry....I think I paid less than the $20+ for it, although with shipping it may have been in that realm.

Wait, I did get one other download. One song. I became obsessed with getting the movie version of the song "God Give Me Strength" written by Elvis Costello and Burt Bacharach and sung by Elvis during the credits (which I don't remember). What I DO remember is the lead actress in the movie, Illeana Douglas, lipsinking the song which was actually sung by Kristen Vigard. I remember buying the soundtrack and discovering that the Costello version of the song was the only one on the cd. I was pissed. The Vigard version did appear on a few albums but on at least one of them, it was NOT the version used for the soundtrack. Eventually, I found a place to get it as a download. That's it. My 2 downloads.

BTW, I enjoyed that movie (Grace of My Heart) even though it was, at times, a bit over the top. All the major characters were clearly supposed to represent a famous real musical giant.....Carole King, Brian Wilson, Phil Spector, Lesley Gore, etc. But mostly, I LOVED Vigard singing that damn song! I'm obsessed by it.

ed.

Posted on Feb 17, 2013 4:24:31 PM PST
Last edited by the author on May 21, 2013 4:07:34 PM PDT
E. Dill says:
To do: Various Artists Compilations 2012

1. New Rides of the Furious Swampriders (alt rock/pop) (9+)
2. Personal Space - Electronic Soul 1974-1984 (synth funk)(9+)
3. Dubstep Electro Glitch (dubstep)(9+)
4. Pilot Perfect - st (soundtrack)(acapella)(9+)

not yet rated:
Feeling High: The Psychedelic Sounds of Memphis

Comments:
I'm into the 2nd month of 2013 and these two were the ONLY 2012 various artist compilations I found worthy? Then again, do I want a new search NOW for 2012 material? We shall see.

ed.

Posted on Feb 17, 2013 4:21:29 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Feb 21, 2013 4:39:05 PM PST
E. Dill says:
To do: Z's from 2012:
1. John Zorn - Nosferatu (original score/avant garde)(10-)
2. ZZ Top - La Futura (blues rock/boogie rock)(10-)
3. Zammuto - st (folktronic/indie rock/indie rock/indie electronic)(9+)
4. John Zorn - The Gnostic Preludes (modern composition/avant garde)(9+)
5. Hans Zimmer - The Dark Knight Rises (soundtrack)(9)

Comments:

Zorn, to me, is one of the most prolific and adventurous of any artist around these past 30 years or so. His eclectic spirit makes no kind of music out of his reach. Nosterafu, a commissioned score, is full of Zorn's experimental nature. His other one from 2012 is quite mellow for him, with much of the instrumental work being done by Bill Frisell.
The ZZ Top album was a surprise because I don't remember hearing much about it as a kind of comback....especially one where Rick Rubin was involved with production. Great stuff.
Zammuto got bashed by the reviewer from allmusic. He keeps referring to Zammuto as one half of the Books and judging his solo album a mistake. Here's some of his comments..."a roving chos to the disc". He loves the first track, comparing it favorably to the Book and to Animal Collective and then gets started with his bashing. "After such a strong start, the album gets lost quickly....almost every song revolving around heavily processed singing....under the burden of relentless vocodings and saturated synthetic sounds, the album becomes shiftless and even it myriad subtle details get lost in the relentless rush." Wow. Funny. I'm not a bit fan of vocoded vocals but my main beef is when they are used on your basic pop song. It's THERE that they seem out of place to me. Electronically altered vocals seem quite normal within songs built on electronics. To each his own.
The Zimmer soundtrack was ok....I won't see the movie and the music stands up by itself only so much. I probably should have given it a 7 or 8.

ed.

ed.

Posted on Feb 17, 2013 3:12:21 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Feb 21, 2013 10:44:36 AM PST
E. Dill says:
To do: Y's from 2012:

1. Neil Young/Crazy Horse - Psychedelic Pill (2) (alt rock)(10)
2. Dwight Yoakam - 3 Pears (Country Rock)(10)
3. Yellow Ostrich - Strange Land (Indie Rock)(10)
4. Neil Young - Americana (alt rock)(9+)
5. Yeasayer - Fragrant World (Indie Rock/Post-Rock)(9+)
6. Yellowcard - Southern Air (Pop Punk)(9)

Comments:

Well, I surely like Neil's Psychedelic Pills more than Americana. I'm wondering if the latter's title is meant to be ironic what with songs like God Save the Queen and a bunch of classics sung with seemingly different melodies altogether. What saves Americana for me is the guitar work. I can't think of anyone whose guitar playing suits me more than Neil's....especially with Crazy Horse. But, as the main man from allmusic says much more pointedly than I, Americana is a bit of a train wreck. And yes, the song that offends me the most because it's done so bad (as opposed to so sloppy which often is the charm of Young and Crazy Horse.) is their version of "Get a Job".

Dwight's latest is one of his best ever and that's saying alot. And his voice sounds as good as it's ever been. How old is he now? He doesn't seem to age....except maybe his hairline.
I didn't know anything about Yellow Ostrich's music before this one but I REALLY like it.
I had trouble deciding if I thought Yeasayer was better than Americana. I chose Americana because of the guitarwork, but Yeasayer has a quirkly instrumental sound that is quite catchy....if only the melody lines were more memorable.
Yellowcard is one of the first emo-based bands I've heard in awhile. Yes, their sound IS definably emo-ish but more lyrical than I'm used to from that style.

I wish I could say one more letter and I've finished the past year but I've still got that pile of 50+ cd's that I found AFTER the fact. Ok, a couple I knew about from the beginning but waited until I could have a copy of them. I just got, e.g., the Killing Joke album from Amazon.com. I'd like to eventually get the album by Anglagard but the last time I checked, it was too rich for my blood. Maybe I should check again.

ed.

Posted on Feb 17, 2013 3:08:00 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Feb 19, 2013 8:54:54 PM PST
E. Dill says:
To do: X's from 2012:

1. The xx - Coexist (Dream Pop)(10)
2. Xandria - Neverworld's End (Symphonic Metal/Power Metal)(8-)

Comments:
I absolutely love the xx album. Admittedly, some might think the overall sound gets a bit "samey" after 3 or 4 cuts but I think it's quite beautiful in its simplicity.
As part of my neverending attempt to "get" all things metal, I decided to randomly try my hand/ear at a symphonic metal group with a female vocalist with an operatically trained voice. It was ok. It had its moments but often it was quite "over the top". Then again, real opera is often quite over the top so there you go.

ed.

Posted on Feb 16, 2013 9:55:08 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Feb 17, 2013 3:00:40 PM PST
E. Dill says:
Here's a rather updated list (albiet, before I actually finished with the W's) of pre-W artists I've found for 2012 that I didn't have or skipped when I was doing their letter....my neverending "to do" list:

Antony & the Johnsons - Cut the World ....not for everyone but I love his voice...emotional to a fault.
Balmorhea - Stranger
Paul Banks - Banks
Ryan Bingham - Tommorrowland
Zac Brown Band - Uncaged
Bjork - Bastards
Broadcast - Berberian Sound Studio
Converge - All We Love We Leave Behind
Diamond Rugs - st
Iris Dement - Sing the Delta .....I LOVE her voice!
Bill Fay - Life is People
Field Music - Plumb
A Fine Frenzy - Pines
Future of the Left - Travels With Myself & Another
Holly Golightly & the Brokeoffs - Sunday Run Me Over
Holly Herndon - Movement
Missy Higgins - The Ol Razzle Dazzle
Jesca Hoop - The House That Jack Built
Horse Feathers - Cynic's New Year
Howler - America Give Up
Imagine Dragons - Night Visions
Indians - Somewhere Else
Ke$ha - Warrior
Killers - Battle Born
Killing Joke - MMXII
Kimbra - Vows
Chris Knight - Little Victories (I listened a bit, sounds REAL good!)
Ben Kweller - Go Fly A Kite
Lifehouse - Almeria
Linken Park - Living Things
Cher Lloyd - Sticks n Stones (A REAL popster....I kinda like it)
Lisa Loeb - No Fairy Tale
Lucero - Women & Work
Magnetic Fields - Love at the Bottom of the Sea
Matchbox 20 - North
Paul McCartney - Kisses on the Bottom
Loreena McKennitt - Troubadors on the Rhine
Miike Snow - Happy to You
Mika - Origin of Love
Rhett Miller - the Dreamer
Alanis Morrissette - Havoc & Bright Lights
Mynabirds - Generals
Neon Trees -Picture Show
Neurosis - Honor Found in Decay (thanks!)
No Doubt - Push and Shove
Nude Beach - II
Old Man Gloom - No
Pet Shop Boys - Elysium
Phillip Phillips - The World from The Side of the Moon
P!nk - The Truth About Love
Pop Etc - st
Prettyman Tristan - Cedar & Gold
Joey Ramone - Ya Know
Redd Kross - Researching the Blues (thanks!)
John K. Samson - Provincial
So Percussion - Where (we) Live
Andy Stott - Luxury Problems
Thee Oh Sees - Putrifiers II (ep)

(I've also got another Zorn album to add but since I haven't done the Z's yet....)

(I think I'll go back and see if I can find all the others I've ordered but not yet received....one in particular is the Killing Joke album. (EDIT: Got it!) I should have gotten that one in the mail by now. When I round them all up, I'll add them to this list, too)

So, in essence, I've got a few more W's to do and then X,Y, and Z which amounts to 13 albums total now. Then backtrack to these....oops, besides the Killing Joke album, I also ordered the Knopfler album and haven't gotten that one yet, either.

ed

Posted on Feb 11, 2013 4:35:36 PM PST
Alexis says:
So I've just downloaded the Magnetic Fields "Love at the bottom of the sea" via Guvera.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 11, 2013 3:18:48 PM PST
Alexis says:
Val, I agree with you re: My Head is an Animal.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 11, 2013 3:16:52 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Feb 11, 2013 3:21:58 PM PST
Alexis says:
I've been getting into the Magnetic Fields lately so it's good to know they have something new. Or is it?
I've been avoiding this thread only because I recognise a lot of the artists listed here from their previous releases which I have yet to go through. I've glimpsed at some of the posts here and then have to look away. I have to keep reminding myself that the glass is half full.....

I've heard a couple of tracks by Alt-J. "Something Good" is a disturbing but interesting video to experience. Sometimes I prefer the songs without the imposed imagery of the video.

Posted on Feb 10, 2013 9:08:52 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Mar 25, 2013 3:37:15 AM PDT
E. Dill says:
Still working on it:...the W's:

Rated:
1. Jack White - Blunderbluss (alt indie rock/punk blues)(10)
2. Jim White - Where It Hits You (alt singer songwriter)(10-)
3. Cloud Nothing - Nocturne (alt indie rock/indie pop/new wave)(10-)
4. Paul Weller - Sonik Kicks (Brit Trad Rock/Alt/Indie Rock)(10-)
5. Patrick Watson - Adventures in Your Backyard (indie pop/chamber pop)(10-)
6. The Walkmen - Heaven (indie rock)(9+)
7. Loudon Wainwright III - Older Than My Old Man Now (contemporary folk)(9+)
8. Walk the Moon - ST (alt indie rock/dance rock) (9+)
9. Bobby Womack - The Bravest Man in the Universe (soul)(9+)
10. Witchcraft - Legend (hard rock)(9+)
11.Wzrd - ST (alt indie rock/rap rock)(9)
12.Rufus Wainwright - Out of the Game (singer songwriter/baroque pop)(9)
13.M. Ward - A Wasteland Companion (9)
14.Mike Woffold - Turn the Signal (Jazz)
15.Nick Waterhouse - Time's All Gone (9-)

Comments:
I am a bit disappointed at the new Wainwright album. I love his voice but some of the songs lose me with the melodies. Still listenable but not as memorable as other albums of his.
The Walkmen album takes some time getting used to mainly because of Liethauser's voice. By the 3rd or 4th song, I embraced it.
Jack White is Jack White. Another solid album, even without Meg.
Ok, a few of the songs on the Weller album were a bit "soft" for me, but that opener and some of the rest of them were almost outrageously punky-noisy. I loved it!
Even I can't believe I took to Watson's sometimes orchestral sounding chamber pop....but I did. Whether I will sustain my favoring this album to those of The Walkmen, Walk the Moon and Rufus W. will reveal itself in time thru repeated listenings. Maybe I'll flip flop between them forever.
Everytime I see a new Jim White album, I smile. Of all the male singers that I find criminally ignored, I can't think of two others as better examples as Richard Buckner (who sounds like Jay Farrar from Uncle Tupelo and Son Volt to me which is a good thing) and Jim White. I love their singing, I love their songwriting and I love their instrumentation. Jim's got another good one here. My two favorite songs of his from previous albums are "Corvair" and "Broken Wings". (There's a version of "Broken Wings" on youtube that he does live and uptempo and, to me, it ruins the song completely. I'm guessing the slower, studio recorded version is still there, too with those great harmonies from a Canadian lass who goes by the name Oh Susannah.)
The Wild Nothing was a bit of surprise....I was awaiting some of that "noise pop" I expected (I need to go back to their last album). Instead, I got a steady diet of modern new wave and I liked it A LOT!
I must admit it took me awhile to adjust to Womack's new voice after 13 years since his last one. Everyone's voice ages, I guess, but I had just listened to Eric Burdon's new one and it isn't THAT different, i.e., he didn't exactly have a dynamic voice to begin with....his was a lot of attitude and he still has that. With Womack, his voice has lost a lot of range, smoothness and control. Still, he does wonders with most of these songs and I liked the more modern r&b backgrounds (especially the drums) as part of the package. A nice comeback for Bobby.
I got a bit more from Witchcraft than I expected, expecting more of the brand of heavy metal that ultimately leaves me cold. Instead, I liked the vocals and a lot of the songs.
Wzrd was the big suprise here. Someone on rateyourmusic.com said the album had been voted as the 5th worst album of the year....in rym terms, that would make it #995, since they only list their "top 1000" of any given year. This is rapper Kid Cudi making a rock album evidently to compete with Lil Wayne who did the same. I didn't hear Lil Wayne's (I won't even try his rap anymore because he irritates me) but this one surprised me. I LIKED it! Some of the rappers complained of it being boring and lacking in "beats". Maybe "rapper beats" but frankly I LOVED the beats I heard. The whole thing sounded off center, as if the makers didn't know exactly what they were doing and just did it. I liked the rawness of it.
Woffold's jazz album was nice if not spectacular. Oddly, I liked their take on some of the tunes from lesser composers than, say, the one beginning the album from Horace Silver (The Dipper).
R&B'er Nick Waterhouse is a new r&b'er to me. I liked at least 5 of the 11 tracks quite a bit with his "Indian Love Call" probably the least.

(I wonder if I'll pull out that Wzrd album a couple months from now and be sure I was on drugs when I gave it a 9+ out of 10. Maybe it has something to do with my problems with rap. I WANT it all to become a bastardized version of rock. At least none of the lyrics were laced with stuff about the hood, busting caps, homies watching your back, be-itches, etc. I had a flash many years ago when I saw Ice-T at the first Lollapalooza Concert with his rock/punk/metal band.

BTW, I finally received my Killing Joke album, so that's another to add to my list of "backtrack" albums to enter.
ed.

Posted on Feb 10, 2013 8:50:05 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Mar 25, 2013 2:30:24 AM PDT
E. Dill says:
The V's:

1. Sharon Van Etten - Tramp (alt pop/rock/indie folk)(10-)
2. Van Halen - A Different Kind of Truth (hard rock)(9+)
3. Steve Vai - The Story of Light (fusion/guitar virtuoso/hard rock)(9+)
4. Elle Varner - Perfectly Imperfect (contemporary r&b)(9+)
5. Van She - Idea of Happiness (electropop)(9)

Comments:

Love Van Etten's voice. It's not a powerful voice but it has personality. The Van Halen album is a good one although, unfortunately, some of the best guitar solos were found on songs I didn't like as much as others. Roth doesn't sound like Roth but it's been over 15 years....Vai has that mix of hard rock and a kind of spacey/new aginess that often works. I LOVE his duet with Aimee Mann. Elle Varner is a young female r&b singer who has lots of promise, if they don't ignore her because she's not provocative enough. Another female voice for me to swoon over.

ed.

Posted on Feb 10, 2013 6:10:43 PM PST
E. Dill says:
The U's:

1. Ultraista - st (indie electronic/synth pop)(10-)
2. UFO - 7 Deadly (hard rock) (9+)

ed.

Posted on Feb 8, 2013 5:26:17 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Mar 24, 2013 4:42:00 PM PDT
E. Dill says:
The T's:

Ok, a few tweeks were necessary but those could be gone by tommorrow, as difficult as it is for me to judge hundreds of cd's individually....

1. Tame Impala - Lonerism (neo-psych) 10
2. Twilight Sad - No One Can Know (indie rock)(10)
3. Tindersticks - The Something Rain (chamber pop)(10)
4. Toadies - Play.Rock.Music (alt pop/rock; alt/indie rock/post-grunge)(10)
5. Torche - Harmonicraft (doom/heavy/sludge/stoner metal)(10)
6. Paul Thorn - What in the Hell is Goin On? (roots rock) (10-)
7. Titus Andronicus - Local Business (alt/indie rock/new wave(10-)
8. Totally Enormous Extinct Dinosaurs - Trouble (electropop) (10-)
9. Thee Oh Sees - Putrifiers II (ep) (garage rock/psych rock)(10-)
10. Tennis - Young and Olde (alt indie rock/indie pop) (10-)
11. Tallest Man on Earth - Threre's No Leavin Now (contemporary folk)(10-)
12. Thee Satisfaction - Awe Naturale (neo soul)(10-)
13. Turing Machine - What is the Meaning of What (alt indie rock)(10-)
14. Trembling Bells/Bonnie Prince Billy (Will Oldham) - Marble Down (10-)
15. Temper Trap - St (indie rock) 9+
16. Trioscapes - Separate Realities (fusion/jazz rock/prog rock)(9+)
17. Tanlines - Mixed Emotions (Indie Electronic) 9+
18. Trampled By Turtles - Stars & Satellites (bluegrass/alt/country)(9+)
19. Tedeschi-Trucks Band - Live: Everybody's Talkin (blues rock)(9+)
20. Twin Shadow - Confess (synth pop)(9+)
21. Two Door Cinema Club - Beacon (alt indie rock/new wave)(9+)
22. Terry Malts - Killing Time (Punk Pop) (9+)
23. Title Fight - Floral Green (post hardcore/emo/alt indie rock)(9+)
24. Tremonti - All I Was (alt metal)(9+)
25. Devin Townsend Project - Epiloud (prog. metal)(9)
26. Serg Tankian - Harakiri (alt metal) (9)
27. Texas Hippie Coalition (groove metal)(9)
28. Testament - Dark Roots of Earth (thrash metal)(9)
29. Tank - This is How I Feel (r&b) (8-)

Comments: Tame Impala didn't surprise me. Twilight Sad did. I expected good things from Tindersticks. I've liked the Toadies before but I never expected such a fresh album here. I'm always looking for combinations of metal styles to work for me and Torche did. The Thorn album surprised me because I thought of him as more of a country artist and a songwriter....here he does ALL covers and the selection and his take on them is great. Without commenting on all of them individually, I was quite taken by several of the groups integration of a variety of electronics. Some ARE, in fact, electronic bands and others are more alt rock with electronics used secondarily. Some of it was flat out dance music. My BIGGEST surprise was my winding up liking (ok, not loving) the albums by Devin Townsend and Serg Tankian. Devin's use of a female singer gave his music a sense of style and Serg's voice went from sounding funny to becoming engaging. And, yes, both the Texas Hippie Coalition and Tank had some music that SOUNDED good but lyrics that didn't. The hippies in Texas carry guns/peacemakers?

I should note that ever since I began the BEST 897 ALBUMS thing with Mark some 4 years ago, I altered my numbering significantly. Why? Because I wanted music that I enjoyed to have positive numbers, period. I didn't want too many truly enjoyable albums to be tagged by a number that seemed "average". So, yes, unless an album was deemed quite questionable in the "listenable" category, it probably got an 8-10. At least it's meaningful to me. And, besides, I try not to spend much time collecting and listening to those that would get those very low ratings from me...and they DO exist, even for me. Some of them may even win Grammy's this year.

ed.

Posted on Feb 7, 2013 1:55:16 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Aug 1, 2013 8:58:17 AM PDT
E. Dill says:
S's for 2012:

1. Swans - Seer (10)(Art Rock/Experimental Rock)
2. Esjorn Svensson - 301 (10)(Progressive Jazz/Post Bop)
3. Jon Spencer Blues Explosion - Meat + Bones (Punk blues/garage rock) (10-)
4 Storm Corrosion - ST (10-)(Neo-prog/Neo Psych/Post Rock)
5 Soundgarden - King Animal (10-)(Alt Metal/Alt Indie Rock)
6. Silversun Pickup - Neck of the Woods (10-)(Dream Pop/Indie Rock)
7. John K. Samson - Provincial (singer songwriter/indie folk)(10-)
7b. Angus Stone - Broken Brights (Indie Folk)(10-)
8. So Percussion - Where (One) Live (avant garde)(10-)
9. Shearwater - Animal Joy (10-)(Indie Rock)
10.Sigur Ros - Valtari (10-)(Experimental Rock/Post Rock)
11.Sun Kil Moon - Among the Leaves (10-)(Alt Indie Rock)
12.Todd Snider - Agnostic Hymes & Stoner Fables (10-)(singer songwriter)
12b. Shovels & Rope - O'Be Joyful (alt country)(10-)
13.John Surman - Saltash (modern creative)(10-)
14.Ty Segall - Slaughterhouse (10-)(garage rock)
15.Patti Smith - Banga (10-)(singer songwriter)
16.School of 7 Bells - (10-) Ghostory (dream pop)
17 St. Etienne - Words and Music (10-)(synth pop)
18 Ty Segall - Hair (10-)(garage rock)
19. Santigold - Master of My Make Believe (10-)(synth pop)
20. Christian Scott - Christian aTunde Adjuah (10-)(modern creative/electric jazz)
21. Sleigh Bells - Reign of Terror (9+)(noise)
22. Soft Moon - Zeros (9+)(indie rock/lo fi)
23. Squarepusher - Ufabulum (9+)(drill n bass)
24. The Sea & Cake - Runner (9+)(indie rock/indie pop)
25. Spiritualized - Sweet Heat Sweet Light (9+)(neo-psych)
26. Andy Stott - Luxury Problems (dub tech/minimum techo)(9+)
27. Smashing Pumpkins (9+)(alt rock)
28. The Shins - Port of Morrow (9+)(indie pop)
29. Bruce Springsteen - Wrecking Ball (9+)(heartland rock/rock n roll)
30. Esperanda Spalding - Radio Music Society (9+)(contemporary jazz/jazz pop/neo-soul)
31. Regina Spektor - What We Saw From the Cheap Seats (9+)(singer/songwriter)
32. Soulsavers - The Light The Dead See (9+)(downbeat/electronica)
33. SpaceGhostPurrp - Mysterious Phonk (9+)(underground rap/hardcore rap)
34. Saga - 20/20 (9-)(prog rock/hard rock)
35. The Shrine - Primitive Blast (8+)(metal)
36. Shinedown - Amaryllis (8) (post grunge/hard rock)
37. Soulfly - Enslaved (8-) (Groove metal/Thrash metal)

not yet rated:
Joe Satriani - Satchurated - Live in Montreal (2)(hard rock) (9+?)
Matthew Shipp - Elastic Aspects (Avant Garde Jazz)
Six Organs of Admittance - Ascent (psych rock)
Sparrow - However Did the Wolf Get In (indie rock)
Julia Stone - By the Horns (Folk pop)
Swedish House Mafia - Until Now (electronic//club dance/edm/prog house)

Comments:

No, I will NOT comment on all 32. Big surprises? Storm Corrosion, who I took to be another ok prog wannabes. I didn't realize who they were, i.e., Opeth's Akerfeldt and Porcupine Tree's Steve Wilson. That doesn't guarantee success but here they work quite well. If it will last as a favorite of mine is to be seen. I was also a bit suprised at how much I liked Soundgarden's new one. I didn't hear much and some critical reviews were quite brutal, accusing Chris Cornell of becoming or at least sounding like an old man. To me he sounded a lot like some of his solo stuff that a lot of the Soundgarden fans didn't care for much. I did. I thought they sounded, at times, more like Alice in Chains and that's not a bad thing at all for me. #5-9 (hell, #5-22) is a crapshoot. My feelings about them were too close to place them with assurance. See me in a year after I've had time to live with these albums for awhile. I liked the Sigur Ros album alot but did find too much similarity in sound to the songs. Sure, the lead vocalist (my main attraction) is hard to dismiss, but I think songs with different tempos would have helped. Or maybe me getting some translated lyrics. I'm still surprised (and a bit skeptical) about Spritualized winding up as #21 among the s's. I'd begun the 2012 thing assuming they'd be a Top 10 consideration, with all the stuff I heard about it. Even The Shins album had quite a few fans for one of the best of the year. With that one, something was missing to me....maybe it was in the melodies.

ed.

Posted on Feb 5, 2013 8:52:47 PM PST
[Deleted by the author on Mar 21, 2013 10:12:49 AM PDT]

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 4, 2013 1:51:55 PM PST
Another "R", ed.

Redd Kross - Researching The Blues (Merge)

Super-tight, great punk-pop from the L.A. vets.
Right up there with "Neurotica" and "Phaseshifter"-

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 2, 2013 7:52:19 AM PST
Gena Chereck says:
"Mika - Origin of Love (this might have been a stretch...isn't he an Idol winner?)
Phillip Phillips - The World From the Side of the Moon (or was HE an ex-Idoller?)"

P.Phillips, yes; Mika, no (I'm pretty sure he's British).

Posted on Jan 29, 2013 2:49:33 PM PST
[Deleted by the author on Mar 21, 2013 10:12:06 AM PDT]

Posted on Jan 27, 2013 2:02:52 PM PST
[Deleted by the author on Mar 21, 2013 10:11:51 AM PDT]

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 21, 2013 2:11:55 PM PST
E. Dill says:
@Thomas A. Corpino

Thanks....I'll check them out.

ed.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 21, 2013 12:30:27 PM PST
R - Joey Ramone "...Ya Know?" (with help from members
of Cheap Trick, Smithereens, Dictators, Plasmatics, and
Little Steven)

S - Jon Spencer's Blues Explosion "Meat And Bone". Their
1st release in about a decade and one of 2012's finest.
It's a New York-thing...
‹ Previous 1 2 3 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  Pop forum
Participants:  6
Total posts:  59
Initial post:  Dec 25, 2012
Latest post:  Nov 18, 2013

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.

Search Customer Discussions