Automotive Holiday Deals Books Gift Guide Books Gift Guide Shop Men's Athletic Shoes Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon Indie for the Holidays egg_2015 Fire TV Stick Movember Gifts Under $50 Amazon Gift Card Offer minions minions minions  Amazon Echo Starting at $84.99 Kindle Black Friday Deals TheGoodDinosaur Outdoor Deals on HTL
Customer Discussions > Pop forum

What Are You Listening To....Now or Recently?

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 1000 posts in this discussion
Posted on Jul 5, 2015 9:35:48 AM PDT
Alexis says:
Death Cab For Cutie's "The ghosts of Beverly Drive" is really growing on me as well.

Posted on Jul 4, 2015 7:34:28 PM PDT
Alexis says:
Couple of months ago I trialled Netflix. Two movies I watched brought to my attention the following:
Wildlife - Stand in the Water and
Guster - Architects and Engineers. What I have heard of Guster, I love!!!!Another band from Baltimore.

Wildlife -

Guster - Architects & Engineers

and through Rdio
Guster - Diane from 'Live Acoustic'

Posted on Jul 3, 2015 9:27:54 AM PDT
Alexis says:
Oh and BTW Ed Dill, I hope you had a very Happy Birthday yesterday.

Posted on Jul 3, 2015 9:25:43 AM PDT
Alexis says:
Haven't heard of this band before but really loving this song:

Future Islands - A Song for our grandfathers:

Posted on Jun 23, 2015 9:51:07 AM PDT
Alexis says:
I'm so glad you enjoyed them Val. And BTW.....HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO YOU AND STEVE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'll be in touch very soon.

Posted on Jun 21, 2015 10:55:11 PM PDT
Val H. says:
Hi Lex. I watched the clip and it is very powerful. One of those where you get so caught up in the film that you don't notice the music as much. Reminded me of my first reaction to David Bridie's "Delegate":

I will watch it again and will also try without the picture so I can concentrate on the music. How did you stumble across it? I hope 'a little relevant for me at the moment" isn't a reference to your mother's health.

I've been meaning to let you know how much I have enjoyed (and am still enjoying) Panic At The Disco and Best Coast, I listen to a lot of indie stuff that, much as I love it, does tend towards the downbeat. Those two discs - Pretty. Odd. and Fade Away - are full of jangly guitars and wall-of-sound-type production and they're just fun. Love all the nods to Sgt Pepper-era Beatles, The Byrds, etc in the former. Thank you for sending them my way - they are getting plenty airplay here.

Posted on Jun 19, 2015 11:14:36 AM PDT
Alexis says:
Anyone heard of 'How to dress well'? Just stumbled on this track. What a voice and powerful arrangements.
WOW! Don't know what his other work is like but I will check him (Tom Krell) out further. The video is quite moving and a little relevant for me at the moment.

"See you fall"

Posted on May 14, 2015 7:17:39 AM PDT
Alexis says:
Hi there folks!!!!!!
Great to see some sign of life back in this thread.
Really miss the communication especially since I'm rarely on FB these days.
John, are you still doing your show? I'm usually busy at the time it's on but one of these days I'll tune in.
As for you Judd......HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Much love, y'all xxxx

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 17, 2015 10:54:36 AM PDT
J.M. Savory says:
been rediscovering one of my favorite Aussie bands after a long lay-off: the Triffids! started with their second album, 'Born Sandy Devotional'; here's a nice mellow song from it that i really like:

and another mellow number from their final album, 'The Black Swan', that i also dig a lot:

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 16, 2015 8:09:37 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Mar 16, 2015 8:10:04 PM PDT
J.M. Savory says:
ha ha, no worries, Judd, and no obligations to return the favor :) give me a couple days.
one of these days i'll get the latest Church album ;)

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 12, 2015 4:32:27 PM PDT
Judd Collins says:
Yeah, John, if you want to send something along. I'm pretty challenged when it comes to music sharing, so if I can't return the favor, don't hate me, OK? I am trying in vain to keep up with all this newer technology...

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 11, 2015 12:42:45 PM PDT
J.M. Savory says:
possibly, judd! i only got into them this past year; they were my favorite band for awhile there. they're kind of an update/ mix of 60's garage rock, early Stones, Velvet Underground, and a dash of shoegaze/ dreampop-type stuff (My Bloody Valentine, Ride, etc.) shall i send you off a copy electronically?

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 5, 2015 2:22:20 PM PST
Judd Collins says:
Senor Savorie, do I need to be giving BJM a listen myself? Obvious answer, right? I got The House of Love's "butterfly" album and it is in heavy rotation already. Hi 'Lex!

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 5, 2015 9:19:31 AM PST
J.M. Savory says:
howdy all! so glad you're enjoying the BJM 'Lex! :)

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 21, 2015 1:47:51 AM PST
Alexis says:
Val, Good to know The Waterboys are still kicking around. Modern Blues sounds good so far. Should be a great concert.
Please don't feel pressured about contacting me however I am pleased to know you received the package.

As for Hozier, I first saw him perform on SNL (I think) and was captivated by the presence he had on the stage. His album does demonstrate a variety of influences and in his own words..... "Chicago blues, Texan blues, Chess Records, Motown, and then I discovered jazz, but more importantly, Delta blues that extraordinarily haunting sound. Skip James, Blind Willie Johnson, people like that. Later, it was Pink Floyd, Nina Simone, Billie Holiday, plus Tom Waits was a huge, huge influence. I was always drawn to singers with something haunting about their voices."

Just watched the clip with Annie Lennox and yes, she did give a powerful performance. I think I'm smitten with the lad, however. He's only 23 and I too hope he develops further as an artist. Time will tell.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 20, 2015 8:41:44 PM PST
Val H. says:
Hi Lex,

I've received your latest gift and have made my way through about 4 so far, including Hozier. I will send you a longer email as I'm already feeling guilty. I had heard a few of his tracks previously and saw him performing at The Grammys. I was just getting into his performance when Annie Lennox joined him and sort of blew him out the water. It was a powerhouse performance from Annie but I did like his guitar solo:

I think he made a mistake in making a 71 minute debut album. It's just too much to take in in one sitting. I can hear a variety of influences but I really need to sit down and give it a hard listen (probably in small doses). I do hope he develops as an artist because he's certainly one of the most interesting new artists.

Much controversy on the radio this morning re Van Morrison duetting with Michael Buble:

Doesn't bother me and I've already pre-ordered the album. I'm loving The Waterboys' Modern Blues and have got my ticket to see them next month.

Posted on Feb 20, 2015 8:05:06 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Feb 20, 2015 8:08:03 PM PST
Alexis says:
Really love Hozier's self-titled album. Val, if he tours here, we're going!

Here's a taste: "It will come back"

"Don't let me in with with no intention to keep me
Jesus Christ! Don't be kind to me.
Honey don't feed me - I will come back."

"It can't be unlearned
I've known the warmth of your doorways
Through the cold, I'll find my way back to you
Oh please, give me mercy no more!
It's a kindness you can't afford!"

Posted on Feb 13, 2015 5:48:43 PM PST
Alexis says:
Really loving Brian Jonestown Massacre at the moment. Many thanks to the party responsible!!!!!!!

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 13, 2015 5:26:56 PM PST
Alexis says:
Val, the album is on it's way.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 3, 2015 9:23:52 PM PST
Val H. says:
Hitherto unknown to me Lex. I like the lyrics! Thanks for posting.

Posted on Feb 3, 2015 7:00:56 PM PST
Alexis says:
Gawd I love this song!!!!!

Posted on Dec 4, 2014 9:19:32 PM PST
Jess says:
PLEASE HELP: I'm a huge papa roach fan, but i've never been able to meet them before. If you can just kindly take 3 minutes to watch a papa roach video through the end via , i would be able to finally meet them. thanks a million! <3

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 2, 2014 8:49:46 AM PST
J.M. Savory says:
a big Yank HELLLLLLLLOOOOOOO to you, Val (and Lex), and thanks for the tip. i will probably pick it up at some point, having enjoyed the book on the Church.

No Certainty Attached: Steve Kilbey and The Church

Posted on Nov 15, 2014 9:59:01 PM PST
[Deleted by the author on Nov 17, 2014 5:37:29 AM PST]

Posted on Nov 15, 2014 9:47:01 PM PST
[Deleted by the author on Nov 17, 2014 5:38:03 AM PST]
‹ Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 ... 291 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Pop forum

This discussion

Discussion in:  Pop forum
Participants:  778
Total posts:  7254
Initial post:  Jul 21, 2007
Latest post:  Jul 5, 2015

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 38 customers

Search Customer Discussions