Last edited by the author on Oct 26, 2009 10:06:06 PM PDT
Steve K says:
Buck and Robert,

My favourite Hunters songs are "Say GoodBye" and "True tears of Joy"
and "Talking to a Stranger"

Steve

Posted on Oct 26, 2009 10:31:26 PM PDT
Jevrick says:
There was an old band called Angel City that I used to like a lot. Their debut album "Face to Face" was quite good and had moderate success here in the States. I don't know whatever happened to them.

By the way to those who have listed Split Enz, they are from New Zealand not Australia.

Posted on Oct 26, 2009 10:33:55 PM PDT
P. Hendrix says:
Rachel Alice (RNR) Simply Amazing!!!

Posted on Oct 26, 2009 10:34:53 PM PDT
P. Hendrix says:
Rachel Alice (RNR) Simply Amazing!!!

Posted on Oct 26, 2009 10:39:19 PM PDT
Greetings from Australia

Check out the following 90s bands
Cruel Sea
You Am I
Magic Dirt

Late 90s/00s bands
Temper Trap
Bob Evans
Silverchair's latest
Powderfinger

Posted on Oct 26, 2009 10:51:41 PM PDT
try the band mammal

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 26, 2009 11:32:15 PM PDT
Steve K says:
Micky

Angel City is actually "The Angels" in Australia but had to change the name for international acts. They were a top iconic Aussie band and made many many albums.....personally i loved "Two Minute Warning" which came out in 84....it was the heaviest and the best IMO

Steve, {in the land of OZ..TRALIA!]

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 27, 2009 12:15:13 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Oct 27, 2009 12:16:25 AM PDT
PETER XUEREB says:
Micky,
The Angels (aka Angel City) are an iconic oz rock band that broke around the time of punk. Face To Face was actually their 2nd LP though in the States it probably got rejigged track wise. They had to use the moniker Angel City in the USA due to the existence of an American heavy rock band called Angel that was around at the same time. They've reformed after many years of legal wrangling as well as Doc Neeson having to take things a bit slower since his car accident in the 90's that virtually retired him from stage performance for a long time. They still kick butt live though there was nothing like them in their heyday.

Posted on Oct 27, 2009 12:24:57 AM PDT
E. Dill says:
I made a list on the "what are you listening to" board a couple of years ago on the same topic, but here's some Aussie's I know I have on record, tape or cd (or possibly all three). I'm sure I've forgotten some of the newer ones....especially those I've only heard once or twice or have forgotten they are Australian.

AC/DC, Barry Adamson, ACT, Angels (by another name in America), Antenna, Apartments, Tina Arena, Augie March, Avalanches, Atlantics

Baby Animals, Chris Bailey, Merill Bainbridge, Jimmy Barnes, Big Pig, Birthday Party, Boom Crash Opera, John Butler, BeeGees

Nick Cave, Celibate Rifles, Kasey Chambers, Chevelles, Church, Clouds, Cold Chisel, Crowded House, Cardinal, Crunt

Dead Can Dance, Dearhunters, Died Pretty, Johnny Diesel, Dirty Three, Divinyls,

Easybeats, Eva Trout

Felt, Tim Finn, Neil Finn, Frente

Lisa Gerrard, Go Betweens, Grinspoon

Hard Ons, Colin Hay, Hoodoo Gurus, Hunters and Collectors,

Icehouse, Inxs

Jo Jo Zep and the Falcons

Paul Kelly, Ed Kuepper

Lime Spiders, Living End, Alex Lloyd, Ben Lee

Martha's Vineyard, Grant McLennen, Men At Work, Mental as Anything, Midnight Oil, Models, Moving Pictures, Moles

Not Drowning, Waving

Melanie Oxley

Powderfinger, Pseudo Echo

Radiators, Radio Birdman, Rebecca's Empire, Archie Roach, Bic Runga

Saints, Scientists, Skyhooks, Something For Kate, Split Enz, Silverchair

Triffids

Vines

You Am I

Of the group above, I'd guess my personal favorites would be Birthday Party, Nick Cave, Kasey Chambers, Church, Dirty Three, Go Betweens, Radio Birdman and the Saints.

ed.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 27, 2009 1:57:03 AM PDT
Steve K says:
E.Dill

Hello from Steve K and nice to hear from you again. Very interesting your choices of Aussie acts...all are yes good in their genre. You mentioned Kasey {totally Country}, and Saints {Totally punk pioneers}...you have diverse tastes.

Steve

Posted on Oct 27, 2009 2:37:54 AM PDT
steve - what is your favorite Hunters and collectors album ?

cheers

far away in the US desert
rob

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 27, 2009 3:55:55 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Oct 27, 2009 3:57:01 AM PDT
Steve K says:
Robert Says "yes"

Ok, i know its you, but you dont always say yes, do you?

Hello and good to see you again. So ...i must tell you i do not own an album of H&C but i like many of their songs....being inspired to buy someones music and make a purchase can be a hard task....like ..i like some Queen songs , but never purchased a record.

This band however has now passed us by, we reflect on how good they were. We look back and discover what we missed, and yes they were good. My local City team "The Crows" { Aussie Foootball} has for their unofficial anthem "The Holy Grail" by H&C which could be likened to "Eye Of The Tiger" as an inspirational sports song.

So honestly i cant tell you the best, however the early works were less commercial and true to a style that set them apart from the others.

Thanks...{and my Boomerang has landed in the Gum Tree!]

Steve K

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 27, 2009 4:01:55 AM PDT
Not meaning to rain on your parade, but Split Enz and Dragon are New Zealanders, the equivalent of calling Canadians "American". Wendy Mattews was, I think, Canadian.
There was a New Zealander called Mike Rudd who formed several bands in Aus with Aussie line-ups, such as Spectrum, Indelible Murtceps (Spectrum reversed), Ariel, and the Heaters. Their (Spectrum) best selling hit was the now famous Someday I'll have money.
Another (often) overlooked GREAT band is Chain, headed by Matt Taylor.

Posted on Oct 27, 2009 4:04:40 AM PDT
so much music to check out - so little time :o)

Posted on Oct 27, 2009 4:10:44 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Oct 27, 2009 4:11:13 AM PDT
matrim -

no offense intended by including split enz...but there isnt a new zealand music thread. and steve, alexis, and buck are my musical connections to what is happening 'down under' (which i think would include new zealand). again - no offense. i am just trying to learn more about music from that part of the world.

Posted on Oct 27, 2009 5:05:29 AM PDT
I noticed there was no mention of the wonderful Mondo Rock they were my favorites from the 80's, you should be able to pick up a compilation of their hits. I also liked Kids In The Kitchen & INXS from the 80's. All of which were good rock/pop with a little bit of the New Romantic sound that was popular in the 80's. These are good choices if you're after something mainstream and accessible. If in doubt see what you can find on YouTube.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 27, 2009 8:56:00 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Oct 27, 2009 11:44:32 AM PDT
E. Dill says:
Mickey/Matrim:

<<Not meaning to rain on your parade, but Split Enz and Dragon are New Zealanders, the equivalent of calling Canadians "American".>>

I don't know if the "rain on your parade" was directed to me specificially, but suggesting Split Enz is Australian vs. Kiwi or vice versa is of no matter to me. Like a lot of people, I think of Crowded House as being Australian even with the Finns presence (I think Crowded House, as a band, was first established in Australia) and erroneously went backwards and made SE an Aussie band, too. I think SE DID operate and release albums in Australia for a period of time between their NZ days and their Brit period. (They DID have a rather lackluster Brit period, didn't they?)

So what DOES make a band's "nationality" anyway? Are the BeeGees Australian or English? How about Nick Cave post-Birthday Party? And what about Radio Birdman? If Deniz Tek is the driving creative force in the band (?), does that make them American (he's from Ann Arbor, MI)? I surely think of them as an Australian band.

This thread DOES ask for bands "from Australia" suggesting "nationality", NOT residence, though. I guess some of these things are more an issue of "national pride" (or "national shame") than musical. (Does any country want to take credit for Michael Bolton?)

ed

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 27, 2009 9:24:13 AM PDT
Alexis says:
Hi Paul,
they are indeed great aussie bands. To the most recent ones I would add, Birds of Tokyo, Something With Numbers, Blackchords, Decoder Ring, Ladyhawke, Angus & Julia Stone, Xavier Rudd, Paul Dempsey (of Something for Kate).

Did you know that Bob Evans is not his real name? He is/was the frontman for Jebediah (IMO the australian Green Day) but his name escapes me ....Keith something.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 27, 2009 9:42:45 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Oct 27, 2009 9:51:51 AM PDT
Alexis says:
I often make the mistake of calling a NZ band australian at times. As we all know there is a multitude of excellent bands from NZ and the two countries are closely intertwined.
Can we agree to include rather than exclude them? Steve, what do you think?

Isn't Michael Bolton Canadian?

I believe Australia is re-thinking taking credit for Mel Gibson. He WAS born in the US after all...........

Hi to you too Robbo.

lex

Posted on Oct 27, 2009 10:11:23 AM PDT
I like a record by Melbourn-ian (Melbournite?) Dan Brodie & the Broken Arrows. Empty Arms Broken Hearts

YouTube has the video of the first cut "Jesus Try and Save Me" which is likely my all-time favorite rock-a-billy song. The song is, of course, better than the pedestrian video. The lyrics suggest we yanks and you down-under folk have lots in common .. at least those of us with impulsive rock n roll hearts ...

Posted on Oct 27, 2009 11:07:53 AM PDT
[Deleted by the author on Nov 19, 2009 6:37:05 PM PST]

Posted on Oct 27, 2009 11:28:42 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Oct 27, 2009 11:51:08 AM PDT
E. Dill says:
T. Rex:

I liked the tune alot (I'm holding out on "all time favorite rockabilly song ever" though) but frankly, as good a rocker as it is/was, I would have loved to have heard the ballad that begun the song.....I guess those lyrics wouldn't have worked as a ballad.....then again, if James Taylor could get a hit out of "Handy Man" as a ballad, maybe it could work afterall....

The mention of Jesus reminded me of one of my all time favorite "southern goth" songs.....Jim White/Oh Susanna doing "Borrowed Wings". God, I love the song and the background harmonies provided by Oh Susanna. Chilling stuff!

BTW, Oh Susanna IS Canadian Suzie Ungerleider. Evidently, it is, also, the name of her band.

ed.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 27, 2009 12:24:24 PM PDT
Speaking of Jesus and Jim White, you might want to seek out and watch White's fun little odd-ball documentary "Searching for the Wrong-Eyed Jesus." I'm lucky enough to have a library within walking distance that carries such fare. Of course now the local "fiscal conservatives" are attempting to cut the funds.

As for "all time favorite rockabilly song" ... I'm subject to a bit of hyperbole from time to time. But I enjoy the hell out of that song in my car.

Searching For The Wrong-Eyed Jesus

Posted on Oct 27, 2009 12:56:40 PM PDT
I was going to comment on Split Enz being from New Zealand as well...:)

I'm a USA DJ but I know music from all over--in particular Scandinavian artists.

Lately a lot of great stuff coming from Down Under however: Indie bands 'Living End'/'Devoted Few' (and Canada's Pony Up may as well be), AC-DC reborn 'Casanovas' (where is their 3rd CD), and stuck-in-the-80s in a good but bizarre way 'Galvatrons' to name a few. One of my early favs, hopefully 'Architecture in Helsinki' will get on track for the next record...

There' a few single guilty pleasures too: It doesn't get much better than Vanessa Amorosi's "Absolutely Everybody", Delta Goodrem beat cancer and put out the gorgeous 'Out of the Blue', Gabriella Cilmi's 'Sweet About Me'/'Sanctuary' and aren't both Rick Springfield and Olivia Newton-John Aussies?

Posted on Oct 27, 2009 12:57:40 PM PDT
[Deleted by the author on Oct 27, 2009 12:58:13 PM PDT]
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Pop forum

This discussion

Discussion in:  Pop forum
Participants:  293
Total posts:  3366
Initial post:  Oct 25, 2009
Latest post:  Jun 22, 2014

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 15 customers

Search Customer Discussions