Customer Discussions > Pop forum

Songs that creep you out

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 101-125 of 398 posts in this discussion
In reply to an earlier post on Jun 8, 2007 12:19:46 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jun 8, 2007 12:24:09 PM PDT
Kurt Harding says:
I was privileged to see the KILLER tour. Dead Babies is great...

Almost anything from Nick Cave's Murder Ballads should creep you out, O'Malley's Bar for instance.

Also Procol Harum's Dead Man's Dream

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 8, 2007 4:25:48 PM PDT
Rod Hansen says:
John Mayer gets the blue ribbon for these lyrics:

"Fathers, be good to your daughters
Daughters will love like you do
Girls become lovers who turn into mothers
So mothers, be good to your daughters too"

I know, this is supposed to be all sensitive and awwww, isn't he sweet? etc., but if you really think it through, this is the creepiest lyric ever written.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 8, 2007 6:18:24 PM PDT
Greg Brady says:
Rod, Either you're reading something into this that isn't there...or I'm not understanding the followthrough.

Dads-->love your daughters because they learn to "love like you do" (i.e. they learn how love works from seeing Dad and Mom--->girls-->lovers (i.e. they grow up and seek someone to practice what they've learned from Mom and Dad--->mothers--->and the cycle begins again.

I guess I'm missing the "creepy" part unless you're throwing a double entendre into "Daughters will love like you do" ?!?!

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 8, 2007 7:04:06 PM PDT
Rod Hansen says:
Yo, Greg -

I hear ya, man. I understand the point of the song. It's the "Girls become lovers..." line that never sat well with me. I didn't like the idea of putting children in a sexual context.

Plus, I think "Daughters" is a prime example of the school of songwriting Elvis Costello used to ridicule as, "F**k me, I'm sensitive."

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 8, 2007 8:33:50 PM PDT
anything that Michael Jackson does creeps me out.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 9, 2007 8:34:02 AM PDT
[Deleted by Amazon on Feb 9, 2010 4:29:29 PM PST]

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 16, 2007 11:34:51 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jun 19, 2007 8:53:08 PM PDT
Mike S. says:
Frankie Teardrop by Suicide. IF YOU LISTEN TO IT, I GUARENTEE YOU IT WILL CREEP YOU OUT, and possibly make you lose your breath. It's a 10 min. song about a man killing his family over a creepy drone of keyboards and sudden screams out of nowhere at times.

It is by far the creepiest song I have ever heard in my life, and most of those other songs don't even the least bit creep me out, I mean Revolution 9 by the beatles is like one of my favorite songs by them, haha.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 17, 2007 12:06:21 PM PDT
"Diane" by Therapy?

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 17, 2007 4:20:33 PM PDT
Wynne T says:
What an interesting and enlightening topic... I never knew Donovan was saying "14." I guess he was only 20 at the time, but still...

I think Johnny Cash's version of "Hurt" is creepier than the original.
A lot of Nick Cave stuff is creepy. The most disturbing to me is "Deanna." I am also creeped out by PJ Harvey's "Down by the Water" and "These Things" by She Wants Revenge.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 17, 2007 4:51:59 PM PDT
D. E. Lewis says:
Claire by Gilbert O'Sullivan. An adult babysitter lusting over the child he is babysitting. I guess it would be romantic for a pedophile, but it REALLLLY creeps me out

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 17, 2007 5:07:25 PM PDT
D. Butler says:
No one's lyrics have ever creeped me out, writing creepy or controversial lyrics is easy. Try to make the song itself creepy & you've accomplished something. The only album that's ever done this to me is Skinny Puppy's "Mind: The Perpetual Intercourse". It achieves a similar creep factor as Blair Witch without the visuals.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 17, 2007 5:43:28 PM PDT
M. Hagaman says:
I agree with you about Tool having one of the creepiest songs but I would put "Eulogy" way before "Sober." The first time I heard that first 2 minutes or so of bells and then the whole rest of the song, lyrics, etc sent shivers down my spine.

The other song I would have to put in the creepy category is that Lion Sleeps Tonight song. I'm not sure why it gets to me like it does but I can't stand it!

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 17, 2007 7:10:51 PM PDT
L. Siler says:
There are some great ones already listed here; years ago, "Black Hole Sun" really disturbed me mostly because of the video, and the end of The Beatles' "I Am the Walrus" was uncomfortable to listen to and I usually ended up skipping it.

Some Queens of the Stone Age songs creep me out, especially "Someone's in the Wolf".

"Ideoteque" by Radiohead actually makes me somewhat naseous.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 17, 2007 7:48:08 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jun 17, 2007 8:17:43 PM PDT
LST Guy says:
D.O.A. by Bloodrock - Yep, remember this - from the early 1970's wasn't it? Strange tune, with morbid lyrics (about a car crash as I remember). Some folks at Marshall University (where I attended school) felt it referred to the plane crash that killed the entire football team in 1970.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 17, 2007 8:09:16 PM PDT
paris says:
i got some queens of the stone age "sick sick sick" and lil mama "lip gloss"

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 17, 2007 8:53:55 PM PDT
J. Davis says:
Sufjan Stephens' song about John Wayne Gacy

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 18, 2007 7:54:36 AM PDT
Kurt Harding says:
Gilbert O'Sullivan has another song called Alone Again, Naturally that supposedly is about slamming the ham. Kind of like Jackson Browne's Rosie.
Never paid close attention to either O'Sullivan song, I usually changed the station if I was in control of the radio. If I was not, someone else changed it before we had a chance to hear what he was actually singing about.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 18, 2007 7:59:26 AM PDT
Kurt Harding says:
Cave's Deanna is tame compared to some of his other songs. Mercy Seat is kind of a creepy Cave song. Johnny Cash covered it late in life.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 18, 2007 11:47:19 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jun 18, 2007 2:26:25 PM PDT
J. A. Geary says:
Add to this list: "No More Hot Dogs" by Hasil Adkins ("I wan't yo' hay-ud to hang on mah wall t'night"; "Innocent L'il Doggie" by Bongo Joe; "I Love You (Said the Little Blue Man)" by Betty Johnson; "In my Room," by the Beach Beach Boys.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 19, 2007 8:48:50 PM PDT
[Deleted by the author on Jun 19, 2007 8:52:49 PM PDT]

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 19, 2007 9:42:39 PM PDT
[Deleted by Amazon on Nov 19, 2009 11:15:12 AM PST]

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 19, 2007 10:06:53 PM PDT
Add these songs to this list

Several Species of Small Furry Animals Gathered Together in a Cave and Grooving With a Pict - Pink Floyd
Dark Globe - Syd Barrett
Echoes - Pink Floyd (specifically the middle nightmare section with the crying seagulls)

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 20, 2007 8:57:11 AM PDT
[Deleted by Amazon on Nov 19, 2009 11:15:12 AM PST]

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 20, 2007 9:25:51 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jun 20, 2007 9:28:16 AM PDT
D. Kelly says:
I have 2 songs and please forgive me if they have already been chosen:
1) Hate me by Blue October -- the words are suicidal and depressing and what's he doing at the end of the song - sounds like he's killing himself and his mother is screaming ? - gives me chills especially at the end
2) You're Beautiful by James Blunt -- this is basically a stalker song -the guy wants some other guy's girlfriend, wife or whatever after staring at her and is now obsessing about her. I mean if he were singing this to his "own" girlfriend or wife, it could be seen as rather sweet and romantic I guess.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 20, 2007 10:56:36 AM PDT
I agree with Rod Hansen! John Mayer's "Daughters" is a creepy song, but it isn't as bad as Springsteen's "I'm On Fire"!

Hey little girl is your daddy home
Did he go away and leave you all alone
I got a bad desire
I'm on fire

Tell me now baby is he good to you
Can he do to you the things that I do
I can take you higher
I'm on fire

Sometimes it's like someone took a knife baby
edgy and dull and cut a six-inch valley
through the middle of my soul

At night I wake up with the sheets soaking wet
and a freight train running through the
middle of my head
Only you can cool my desire
I'm on fire

Copyright © Bruce Springsteen (ASCAP)

I also have to mention Gerry Rafferty's "Baker Street" for my sister. I myself don't find it that creepy but I just remember when we were kids, how she would scream her head off whenever the song came on the radio.
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Pop forum

This discussion

Discussion in:  Pop forum
Participants:  234
Total posts:  398
Initial post:  Mar 30, 2007
Latest post:  2 hours ago

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 21 customers

Search Customer Discussions