Customer Discussions > Pop forum

Best Fingerstyle Guitarist?

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 126-150 of 170 posts in this discussion
In reply to an earlier post on Oct 20, 2011 10:36:25 PM PDT
....along with losers like The Beatles, Simon & Garfunkel, Burt Bacharach, Michael Jackson and Beverly Sills.

Posted on Oct 21, 2011 3:30:02 PM PDT
none of the above not even close

Posted on Oct 21, 2011 7:36:17 PM PDT
I may have missed it, but I didn't see the name John McLaughlin. A grievous omission.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 22, 2011 7:02:00 AM PDT
stevign says:
Wiki:
"A Grammy Award (originally called Gramophone Award) - or Grammy - is an accolade by the National Academy of Recording Arts and Sciences of the United States to recognize outstanding achievement in the music industry"

One of us is missing the point, it could be me. If their purpose is to judge artists by their popularity and/or record sales then I withdraw my complaint, at least they're honest in their useless quest.

IF it is to judge "quality" then they've become whores for the music industry and my complaint stands. Adding The Beatles or Simon & Garfunkel to their list of winners then would be like adding Leroy Neiman to a list of great artists like Picasso.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 22, 2011 3:14:55 PM PDT
OK. We are talking guitarists here. You plunk a guy on a stool, hand him a guitar, tell him to compose something on it and then play it fingerstyle. Say we have 10 guys who are world class at this. None of them are world famous superstars. None of them are going to sell a million copies of anything. If one of them wins several Grammys for Best Instrumental Performance over the years, it means nothing? That is crazy.

I repeat my original question to the other people on this thread - Are you aware of any Grammys won by fingerstyle guitarists? I am just curious.

Posted on Oct 22, 2011 4:16:49 PM PDT
gitMan says:
Ryland Peter Cooder.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 23, 2011 7:13:09 AM PDT
stevign says:
Buttercup:

re: "If one of them wins several Grammys for Best Instrumental Performance over the years, it means nothing?"

Oh c'mon now, they gave the band Toto a Grammy for god's sake! When the Grammys start standing for quality and excellence consistently then I'll sit up and take notice. Until then I'll do what I've always done, search out the best and the best of the best on my own.

Posted on Oct 23, 2011 9:21:11 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Oct 23, 2011 9:23:25 AM PDT
Has Vince Gill been mentioned yet? Stuart Duncan? Definitely agree with Paco de Lucia, Mark Knopfler, Bruce Cockburn, Lindsey Buckingham! Has Neil Schon been mentioned?

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 23, 2011 12:17:49 PM PDT
OK. Then search out Laurence Juber on YouTube and get back to me. He has won two Grammys. Please don't be nasty about his playing just because you like to argue with me. If you do, you will lose your credibility amongst the genuine fingerstyle aficionados here. You might want to check out "All of Me" or "Strawberry Fields Forever".

Posted on Oct 23, 2011 12:34:49 PM PDT
P. Godo says:
Bruce Cockburn by far!

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 23, 2011 1:34:39 PM PDT
stevign says:
re: "OK. Then search out Laurence Juber on YouTube and get back to me."

Why, it proves nothing. You obviously haven't a clue about my objection. Just because they gave a Grammy to some truly excellent artists, they also give them to people I've mentioned before. Point being......they can't be trusted.

Now unless you can convince me that a group of Anarchists keeps breaking into the offices each year and holds the Grammy voters at gunpoint and "makes" them vote in people like Toto, Milli Vanilli, Kenny G, Yanni and others, you don't have a leg to stand on.

re: "just because you like to argue with me"

lolol......Don't look now but you're arguing with me as well dear.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 23, 2011 2:55:02 PM PDT
A. Stop calling me "dear", unless you are a 98 year old woman. It is condescending.

B. This thread is about fingerstyle guitarists, not the Grammy awards.

C. If anyone else here (who doesn't have a stick up their butt) would like to check out "Laurence Juber" on YouTube, I highly recommend it.
So does NARAS.

D. I am blocking you, stevign. I don't need the aggravation.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 23, 2011 3:07:54 PM PDT
stevign says:
LOLOL......Well!

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-JwfdiuXk4Eo/TkQZ0g5V7JI/AAAAAAAAIoc/1L2yOSkvJ8Y/s400/Jack_Benny-2.jpg

Posted on Oct 24, 2011 7:25:14 AM PDT
Tommy Emmanuel
Chet Atkins
Doyle Dykes
Martin Taylor
Leo Kottke
Andrew York
Antoine Dufour
Laurence Juber
Lenny Breau
Phil Keaggy
Don Ross

Posted on Oct 24, 2011 7:26:36 AM PDT
Merle Travis
...oh, and Thom Bresh (Merle Travis' son).

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 24, 2011 1:53:10 PM PDT
Well now, you know your fingerstyle guitarists, R.L.! I am a fan of Laurence Juber (He's my favorite for many reasons) Andrew York, and Phil Keaggy. Have any of you heard Peppino D'Augustino?

Posted on Oct 24, 2011 3:54:29 PM PDT
Robert Wyman says:
Was Jorma Kaukonen mentioned yet? Elizabeth Cotton was extraordinary. Then David Bromberg as well.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 24, 2011 4:54:02 PM PDT
Snoo says:
Agreed Buttercup. R.L. has quite the list there. I guess I need to check out Laurence Juber because I've yet to hear anyone like Tommy Emmanuel.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 24, 2011 9:16:03 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Oct 24, 2011 9:21:53 PM PDT
Snoo - The thing is that Juber can play in any style, and he sounds like a full orchestra live! Some of the YouTube videos posted by fans are not of the best audio quality, so you might have to poke around a little. I recommend "All Of Me" posted by SDMUSICVIDEO for a good place to start. The quality is excellent. Tommy Emmanuel is a Juber fan as well.

Posted on Oct 24, 2011 9:34:46 PM PDT
Analog Cabin says:
Jerry Douglas
Ron Block

Posted on Oct 26, 2011 9:51:38 PM PDT
http://michaelmanningtv.blogspot.com/2011/10/laurence-juber-concert-review.html
This says it better than I could!

Posted on Oct 26, 2011 10:05:40 PM PDT
M. SMITH says:
Bobby Radcliff-----handsdown.

Posted on Oct 29, 2011 9:23:26 AM PDT
Chet Atkins
Mark Knopfler
Leo Kottke

Also, Jerry Reed. A very underplayed and underrated musician.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 29, 2011 7:15:47 PM PDT
Technically, Jerry Douglas isn't a fingerpicking guitarist. He plays the resonator guitar (aka dobro).

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 29, 2011 7:36:39 PM PDT
Stranger says:
Toy Caldwell.
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Pop forum

Discussion Replies Latest Post
Announcement
Create Your Own Music Quiz At SoundUnwound!
3 22 days ago
Most underrated guitar player in rock history... 1067 8 hours ago
Who Have You Seen Live From This List 55 8 hours ago
Name 10 Song Titles - Part 3 7219 1 day ago
Most overrated guitarist in rock history... 392 3 days ago
Who Is Your Favorite Female Singer Over The Last 10 Years 136 3 days ago
Led Zeppelin vs Deep Purple: Who's the better live band? 26 7 days ago
Does Anyone Remember Quackamoobacluckaphobia? 6 8 days ago
What Are You Listening To....Now or Recently? 7225 20 days ago
take all of this weak pop and emo and nerd and art crap off of the punk rock listings and let real punk rock rest with what respect it stil has PART TWO: ANARCHIST BOOGALOO!!!! 1846 21 days ago
Can you think of songs that have " na, na, na, ...." anywhere in the verses? 42 Aug 20, 2014
The ONE SONG That EVERY AMERICAN LIKES ? 696 Aug 2, 2014

This discussion

Discussion in:  Pop forum
Participants:  106
Total posts:  170
Initial post:  Mar 15, 2010
Latest post:  Apr 3, 2014

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 9 customers

Search Customer Discussions