Industrial-Sized Deals TextBTS15 Shop Women's Fall Denim Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon $5 Albums See All Deals Storm Fire TV Stick Subscribe & Save Find the Best Purina Pro Plan for Your Pet Shop Popular Services Home Theater Setup Plumbing Services Assembly Services Shop all furious7 furious7 furious7  Amazon Echo Fire HD 6 Kindle Voyage Assassin's Creed Syndicate Shop Back to School with Amazon Back to School with Amazon Outdoor Recreation Deal of the Day
Customer Discussions > Pop forum

Songs that creep you out

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 176-200 of 408 posts in this discussion
In reply to an earlier post on Jul 2, 2007 6:19:40 PM PDT
K. Marshall says:
strange fruit by nena simone or siousie and the banshees or actually, anyone singing that damn song .....

but it's the first time that youhear it that it gets you

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 2, 2007 8:22:05 PM PDT
Ricco Suave

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 2, 2007 8:27:48 PM PDT
The songs "In The Year 2525" by Zager and Evans and "The Wreck Of The Edmund Fitzgerald" by Gordon Lightfoot are sure creep outs.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 2, 2007 10:20:29 PM PDT
Yeah, extremely good call. Who knew the Beach Boys could be such creepers?

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 3, 2007 5:15:33 PM PDT
J. Brady says:
"He Hit Me ( and It Felt Like a Kiss)" has some truly creepy lyrics. I don't know what's worse - the fact that a man wrote the words, or that any woman would agree to sing them.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 3, 2007 8:23:13 PM PDT
P. Seminara says:
"Under the Ice" by Kate Bush from The Hounds of Love album. Very troublesome and claustrophobic.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 3, 2007 8:30:31 PM PDT
P. Seminara says:
Spooky Tooth's experimental album 'CEREMONY'. It sounds like a soundtrack to hell....

They were an amazing rock band, though.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 4, 2007 8:05:28 PM PDT
Mike Rivers says:
A song called "As the End Draws Near". It's on a Sarah McLaughlin album called "Rarities and B Sides". It's about the end of the world.
Creeps me out big time, every time.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 4, 2007 8:26:51 PM PDT
Rod Hansen says:
Crispin Glover singing "Ben" over the closing credits of "Willard"...wow, man. That's dictionary-definition creepy, right there.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 5, 2007 9:43:50 AM PDT
Matchboy says:
Good story, but I wonder, was there a time when Peter Green WASN'T "losing a little grip..."?

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 5, 2007 11:33:30 AM PDT
[Deleted by Amazon on Feb 9, 2010 4:22:34 PM PST]

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 5, 2007 2:58:00 PM PDT
Annie, you really need to look up the word pederast. 14 has naught to do with it.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 5, 2007 3:00:05 PM PDT
[Deleted by Amazon on Feb 9, 2010 4:22:33 PM PST]

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 7, 2007 8:36:21 AM PDT
Great SScot says:
"Ironman" by Black Sabbath (shudder)

The first time I heard this was in my boyfriend's car during the summer I turned 16. He was 24 and a mechanic and used to work til 10 or 11 each night then come over to my parents house, turn off his loud car and coast into our driveway where I'd sneak out and we'd sit in his car and drink Heineken's. He turned on the accessory switch and queued up this song and cranked the stereo -- the hair stood up all over my body and I leapt into his lap -- which was his plan, I'm sure so he could get a cheap feel! To this day, that song gives me the chills and makes my hackles rise!

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 7, 2007 8:50:51 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jul 7, 2007 8:55:39 PM PDT
A lot of stuff off Black Sabbath's "Paranoid" could be considered creepy, one I now remember is "Electric Funeral". I think it's an anti-pollution song, but the lyrics and that guitar riff are really spooky.
"Among the Living" by Anthrax. Just the fact that it's about a Stephen King novel makes it creepy, but the progression of the song and the music add to it.
"Madhouse" by Anthrax. Basically about being in an insane asylum, if the lyrics are taken in literally. A topic that never loses its creepiness.
"A Skeleton in the Closet" by Anthrax. A cool song, but imagine what it would be like to be a teenager and discover an old Nazi in the middle of NYC.
"For Whom the Bell Tolls" by Metallica. I know it's about the Ernest Hemingway novel, but the riff is just unsettling.
"The Battle of Evermore" by Led Zeppelin. Led Zep is one of my favorite bands of all time, but this is one of those songs that just makes you shiver. Between Jimmy Page's oddly-tuned acoustic guitar to the vocal harmonies, both of which are great, it still makes for a scary listen.
"Peace Frog" by the Doors. While it's a great hybrid of old-school funk and hard rock, Jim Morrison's morbid "blood in the streets" lyrics aren't comforting in the least.

"Blackwater Park" by Opeth is a brilliant prog-metal masterpiece, and even if the song is a metaphor for how awful the world is, the lyrics, including the Grim Reaper, the character, "probing vomits" and more make it a deluxe horrorpiece.
"Stormtroopin'" by, yep, you guessed it, Ted Nugent. Take three-minute blues-rock tune, give it some lyrics about the Nazis, and you got "Stormtroopin'".
"Psycho Therapy" by the Ramones. When I was more into the Ramones, this is a song I never felt safe listening to.
Plus, anything by the ever-unsettling Venom. I don't care for them, but the fact that they made a twenty-minute song about devils fighting the angels is more than even I can handle! (Plus, have you ever seen the covers of their first, two albums???)

Creepy in a good way: A lot of songs by Children of Bodom, mostly the ones that discuss the Lake Bodom murders, i. e. "Lake Bodom", "Bodom Beach Terror", etc.

And before I'm done, I would like to mention something else: I haven't heard any songs by them, but I have heard of a one-man band named "World Party". I don't know why, but a name like that is kind of unsettling and paranoid, even if it reflects the guy's radical point of view.
Peace!

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 7, 2007 9:09:18 PM PDT
Sean Nolan says:
That's just what I was thinking

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 7, 2007 9:33:46 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jul 7, 2007 9:37:59 PM PDT
Kelly Volpi says:
Has anyone mentioned Joan Crawford by Blue Oyster Cult?
Try listening to this song at night with all the lights out. Very scary.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 7, 2007 10:31:16 PM PDT
Recoil: "Incubus"

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 15, 2007 11:16:31 AM PDT
C. Perkins says:
I remember being freaked out as a youngster hearing Laurie Anderson's 'O Superman" for the first time late at night

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 15, 2007 1:59:58 PM PDT
Yes!! D.O.A., from Bloodrock, 70's, plane crash (and spooky music and riffs). Also, "Mommy" by Patto, about a young child being comforted and much more), by his mother!

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 15, 2007 2:36:38 PM PDT
Lou Reed-"The Kids" off the Berlin record. Just listen to it.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 16, 2007 11:51:27 PM PDT
E. Dill says:
He Hit Me (And It Felt Like a Kiss) - The Crystals

Ok, I actually LIKE the song as music and performance. Still, the message is disturbing.

Johnny Get Angry - Joanie Sommers

Again, I liked Joanies quirky voice but the song was a popier version of the one above. She wants a "brave man" she wants a "caveman"....

Sally go Round the Roses - The Jaynettes

This is an eerie song even when not knowing what it's about. There have been rumors for years that it had a lesbian theme but no one was really talking. "Roses...they can't hurt you"....?

Psycho- ???? (covered by Elvis Costello)

I first heard this on the radio and almost ran into a tree. The singer is describing some murders he did and then sings "Do you think I'm psycho Mama"? And I'm screaming.....YES YES....put him away.
I think it ends with him killing her.....

Past, Present, Future - The Shangra-las

This is a classic of sorts. Ok, the girls DID do some hits that were about death...."Leader of the Pack" with the crash...."Give Us Your Blessing" and "I Can Never go Home Anymore" about the loss of family, etc. But PPF is different. The girl is telling a guy that, sure, she'll go out with him....but "don't try to touch me"......because...."it will NEVER HAPPEN AGAIN".....while she recites these words, we have Beethoven's "Moonlight Sonata" in the background. Ok, sounds hoakie and maybe it is. What's it about? Perhaps the girl has been raped or otherwise molested. Regardless, it IS a compelling song and quite disturbing, too.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 17, 2007 1:05:45 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jul 17, 2007 1:43:52 AM PDT
Oliasdoug says:
Some classic examples:

D.O.A. - Bloodrock. A lovely Top 40 hit from 1972 about what it's like to be killed in a plane crash.

PLEASE MR. GRAVEDIGGER - David Bowie. I won't spoil this for anyone....listen to it for yourself, in a dark room at night.

And here's one I don't think too many of you will be familiar with: If you have the 45 single of Steppenwolf's "Ride With Me," on the flip side there is an improvised instrumental piece called "For Madmen Only." Ultimate creepfest from start to finish...like the soundtrack to the scariest vampire or psycho/slasher movie ever made. And clocking in at 8 minutes 45 seconds, it was, at the time, the longest single song ever pressed onto a 45. I would love to find this song on a CD collection somewhere. The last thing you hear is a disembodied voice calling out, "ay-eeeee....." I'm not kidding, this is the stuff nightmares are made of.

REPENT WALPURGIS - Procol Harum. Another instrumental, and a classic, conjuring up images of The Phantom of the Opera.

3 songs from a band called White Noise, & I think the album is called A BLACK MASS. The title song, first of all...it's exactly what it says it is. "Here Come the Fleas" is a song that will creep you out and make you laugh at the same time. And the first song I ever heard from it, "Love Without Sound.".....creepy like it could have come from the soundtrack to Eraserhead. Oh hell, the whole ALBUM'S creepy, and kind of hard to find. Check it out if you get the chance.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 17, 2007 1:10:24 AM PDT
Oliasdoug says:
Regarding The Ohio Players' "Love Rollercoaster": The rumor that was going around when this song came out was this: They were in the middle of recording the song in whatever studio they were in at the time. Supposedly, in an adjacent studio, some chick came across the body of someone who'd been stabbed to death. Could be just another urban myth, but this was the one I heard.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 17, 2007 7:50:04 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jul 17, 2007 7:51:37 AM PDT
Nathan Laney says:
Golden Earring did a few chillers too.
"Kill Me" from the Switch album closes with the verse:
"Vic played the part with all his heart
But he wasn't prepared for the shock.
When the howlin' lead ripped into his head
A new martyr for the birth of rock."
When paired with the intense music, it's pretty creepy.
Also, from their "Too The Hilt" album, the title track is creepy.
"Wanna try - wanna fly
Right through the needles eye.
Wanna be chilled - wanna be thrilled
Push your luck right to the hilt.
Hey boy - Quit that stare
Get outta grandpa's rockin' chair
How about raisin' hell - let's see if we outdo ourselves.
One day you'll be bound and gagged
Your head upon the railroad track.
The rails hummin' - there's a train - a - comin.'
I'm sure your last thought's full of regret
Before the wheels roll across your neck
Why didn't I do this?
How come I didn't do that?
I could be out there - painting towns red
Sweat
Maybe I'll wake up in bed
No boy! This is it...You shoud've used a bit more wit.
Get out there 'n dig in deep
Stay wide awake when you're asleep
Who wants to compromise - when every
Second hour flies
Set the time on half past tilt
For making love right to the hilt.
One day you'll be buried
Up to your elbows in the sand.
There's honey glowin'
Down your cheeks it's flowing
You'll find some time to reflect
Before the ants are crawlin' over your head
Why didn't I do this?!
How come I didn't do that...
Is this a dream that's gone bad?
Maybe I'll just wake up in bed...
To the hilt - is that what you said????"
Creepy!
Also, at the end of "Psyco" bt Elvis Costello, yes he does kill his mother. The song ends with the line:
"Mama, why don't you get up?"
"The Knoxville Girl," an old bluegrass song is really eerie too. It's a detailed account of a man taking a girl off to a private spot and beating her to death. He goes into excruciating detail. I can't get through the song!
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  Pop forum
Participants:  242
Total posts:  408
Initial post:  Mar 30, 2007
Latest post:  Jul 20, 2015

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 22 customers

Search Customer Discussions